Chapter 4

Blind To Love

“Uhum..erm err wh..when we get in, sti..stick with your partners..o okay?” Leeteuk tried to raise his voice to notify the members, as he himself had practically climbed on top of Shindong, who was choking with Leeteuk’s arms around his neck. NO!! Sungmin can’t stand beside Yesung throughout the ride! He will scare himself to death without holding onto someone. But he had no choice, Leeteuk’s command was final. “Hy…hyung…” Yesung heard a soft whisper and a tug on his shirt. He spun around, surprised to be facing the bunny who had his hoodie on. Not daring to look into Yesung’s eyes, Sungmin mumbled, “Can… can I hold your arm? I am not really good with…horror.” Yesung grinned. Nodding his head, he turned back to face the front, trying to hold his happiness in. Now he was begging the line to go faster, he can’t wait to get into the haunted house!!

 

Ryeowook heard the soft words from Sungmin, and cheered silently. Another part of his mission has succeeded. He placed his arm on Kyuhyun’s shoulder, using him as an arm rest, while Kyuhyun was just busy playing his game device. As the members had finally reached the entrance, the operator told them that they had to split as their group was too big. So Shichul and Shinteuk went first, while the second group was Eunhae, Yemin and Kyuwook. Leeteuk was screaming with more objections now. He did not want to be in the same group as Shichul, the well-known pair to freak people out with their antics. But none of the other pairs wanted to switch with him, so Leeteuk was seen screaming, as he was dragged into the Haunted house entrance and the operator shut the door. Donghae swallowed his saliva; he could swear that he heard Leeteuk’s scream and Heechul’s laughter from behind the door.

 

“Ok, you can go in now.” The operator smiled at the group. WHAT?! Sungmin screamed in his mind. It felt like he had only waited for a few seconds and it was time to enter the ride already?! Yesung felt like he had waited for an hour, when in fact it was only ten minutes. He screamed in joy silently, and immediately headed for the entrance, with Sungmin following closely behind. Once the door was closed with a slam behind them, Sungmin immediately clung onto Yesung’s arm. Yesung’s heart skipped a beat. Eunhyuk and Donghae were cuddling each other, screaming at everything they see. Kyuhyun looked as though he was walking in a supermarket, staring lazily at the blood on the walls, mannequins hanging from the ceiling. Ryeowook was holding on to Kyuhyun’s shoulders, staring timidly at the gory decorations. Sungmin whimpered when he saw a woman with long black hair crouched in a corner, face covered by her hands, crying eerily…

 

“KYAAAHHHHHHH!!!” The woman suddenly stood up and gave a piercing scream, Sungmin almost fainted as he clutch Yesung’s arm closer to his chest, his hand grabbing Yesung’s shirt at the same time. His voice was gone; he was scared till he couldn’t even give a squeak. Ryeowook jumped when he saw the woman, who had blood on her face, stood up suddenly and screamed. Kyuhyun just rolled his eyes mumbling “Even the starcraft monsters are scarier than this…” Yesung didn’t even notice the ghost. He was too shocked by Sungmin’s sudden act of intimacy. In his heart, he felt like a little boy running across a field, throwing petals from a basket into the air. He was smiling like a mad person, Eunhyuk who was leading the group at the front turned back and caught Yesung’s smile. ARE YOU A SADIST OR SOMETHING?! Was what Eunhyuk decided he shall ask Yesung when they get out of the hell hole.

 

None of the members were paying any attention as they passed by a window, till they heard a knock on the window pane. Slowly, the members turn towards the window, and they were ready to write their will right there and then when they saw an old woman with a devil’s smile looking at them on the other side. Eunhyuk screamed and hid behind a stunned Donghae. Kyuhyun was shocked for the first time, and Ryeowook gave a loud squeal. Sungmin couldn’t take it anymore; he shut his eyes and scream, hugging Yesung at the waist. Yesung could swear that he will have a phobia of old ladies after this attraction, but on the other hand he was gratefully thanking the scary lady after feeling Sungmin’s arms around him.

 

“Are you really so scared?” Yesung asked in a concerned voice. Although he was enjoying his time with Sungmin tremendously, but he was still worried about Sungmin when he saw the little bunny on the verge of tears.

 

Sungmin, who had his head buried in Yesung’s chest, nodded vigorously. Yesung placed his arm on Sungmin’s shoulder, pulling him closer. Sungmin was stunned, but he did not care much as he already had his mind fixed on killing Heechul once they got out of this place.

 

After more screaming and wailing, the members finally found the exit. Donghae fling the door open, and finally, they were out of the hell hole. Running out like some prisoners who just got released from jail, they found Heechul, Shiwon, Leeteuk and Shindong right outside the attraction, waiting for them. Shindong had candy floss in his hands now, Leeteuk looked like he had just rise from the dead, Heechul and Shiwon looked bored; seemed like the Haunted House was still not scary enough for those two men. Sungmin released his grip from Yesung, and chased after Heechul, who was cracking up at how the members looked when they had finished the attraction. Yesung felt empty suddenly, Sungmin no longer under his arms.

 

Ryeowook knew it was time to start the next part of his plan.

 

“I think we should head to the carnival for some games after that crazy attraction.”

 

Everyone couldn’t agree more.

As they looked at the games being played in the carnival, Sungmin was back to his old self. He stood a metre away from Yesung, still embarrassed at the hugging incident that happened in the Haunted House. After receiving the ARE YOU SADISTIC OR SOMETHING?! Remark from Eunhyuk, Yesung was back to being in a bad mood, as he saw Sungmin walking next to Kyuhyun behind him from the corner of his eye.

 

“Hey guys, what games do yo-“Leeteuk turned back and faced the group, but did not finished his sentence as his eyebrows furrowed. “What is Sungmin doing?” Yesung turned around to see Sungmin, who had stopped in his tracks, staring into a particular game stall. Or more like, staring at the pink stuff bunny displayed at the rack in the game stall.

 

“You guys go on first. Sungmin and I will join you later.” Yesung replied. Leeteuk nodded and the other members followed after him. Ryeowook couldn’t believe it.

 

The plan turned out better than he thought.

 

Sungmin gaze at the cute pink bunny sitting at the rack at the game stall. So cute… so huggable… Sungmin really wanted it. He wanted to have a go at the game, which was shooting darts and having to hit three polka cards that were stuck to the board. But someone had cut in front of him just as he took a step forward.

 

“Ye…Yesung hyung?”

 

Yesung aimed carefully and threw his dart. Bull’s eye. He threw his second dart, and another card he hit. Missing at his third throw, Yesung aimed carefully and threw his fourth dart. Missed. Breathing slowly, he aimed his last dart… “Ace.” Yesung smirked. Even though he was failing most of the time, Yesung could get what he want if he put his heart into it. And he wanted that bunny.

 

No. he wanted that bunny for Sungmin.

 

“Thanks” Yesung gave his charming smile which made the teenaged girl managing the store giggle as he received the pink bunny from her. Turning to face a shocked Sungmin who had his mouth hanging open, Yesung presented the cute toy to Sungmin.

 

“Here. For you.” Yesung blushed as he muttered the words.

 

Instead of accepting the bunny and hugging Yesung with a loud thanks, or snatching the toy and running away like a little boy; Yesung had considered the reactions Sungmin might give, but Yesung did not expect this. He did not expect this at all.

 

Sungmin took a step back.

 

Sungmin clenched his shirt tightly. He bit his lips, and whispered, but loud enough for Yesung to catch his words, “Why… why are you doing this?...”

 

Yesung stood rooted to the ground. He did not know how to answer that.

 

“Stop treating me so nice. You should be looking out for Ryeowook. He is the one you should be caring more about, not me.” Sungmin said through clenched teeth. Holding on to his hand, pulling him into a tighter hug, and just the day before he had heard Yesung mutter the words I love you to Ryeowook… why was Yesung doing this?? Why is he treating him like that?? It just makes everything confusing, and more painful for Sungmin to bear.

 

Nothing came out of Yesung. Sungmin was hoping he would say something. Anything. Instead of staying silent; it was killing Sungmin inside. Clearing his throat, Sungmin forced a smile on his face “I think you should give Ryeowook that bunny, I am sure he will like it, since it is cute like him. And I don’t really want it anyway.” Finishing his sentence Sungmin ran, he ran after s who were busy cheering Shiwon who was riding a crazy bull ride at game stall situated at the corner.

 

Ryeowook was surprised to find Sungmin suddenly standing beside him, panting. “What happen?” He asked as he stared at Sungmin, who was red in the face after running as fast as he could.

 

“Nothing.” Sungmin replied with a fake smile on his face. And Ryeowook knew something happened. Ryeowook turned back, and spotted a tiny figure standing in the middle of the carnival, staring at the pink bunny he was holding in his hands. Ryeowook abandoned the group and ran to Yesung. Stopping right in front of him, his heart broke when he could see the grief in Yesung’s eyes. This poor boy… wanting to confess his love, and yet was rejected before he could even say anything. He patted Yesung’s shoulders gently.

 

But he can’t tell Yesung the truth. The truth about Sungmin’s feelings. He wants Yesung to figure it out himself.

 

Ignoring the cheers that got louder as Shindong decided to ride the crazy bull machine, Sungmin stared at the “couple”. He held back his tears, as he felt the world collapsing. His heart hurt like the night before. His heart shattered in pieces. But now… he thinks he shouldn’t bother picking up the pieces anymore…

 

Loving Yesung… means making sure that he is happy…

And if that means giving him up, Sungmin doesn’t mind at all… or so he thought.

 

But what Sungmin didn’t know, was that Yesung’s heart was in pieces as well…

 

 

TBC...