Chapter Six: Rules and Guidlines

~Living Arrangements~

~Minho’s~

So here I am , standing in front of my front door. Have been for about five minutes now. Since I left Taemin’s place I haven’t been able to stop thinking and worrying over how I would explain to Mi Sun that she needs to pretend to be in love with me in certain circumstances. Why do I have to have such a big ego?

I finally plucked up the courage to open the door and walk in like I hadn’t just been standing outside for five minutes, too scared to come into my own apartment. I put my keys down on the coffee table and threw my body down onto a clean spot on the couch.

“Minho-sii? Is that you?” I glanced up nervously and saw Mi Sun poking her head out of the kitchen door.

“Oh, it is. I bought groceries today, so I don’t know if you want to take it out of my pay or…Minho-sii?” I had unknowingly started glaring into her eyes. This is my house, and she just barged in and started living here. Why should I be scared to tell her when she’s the one that owes me?

“I-is something wrong? Did I do something to upset you?” Shaking my head I stood and stalked over to where she was standing. She was a little frightened, I could tell.

“You’re my girlfriend now.” Wait, that didn’t come out right. I could read all the confusion and shock Mi Sun was feeling from her facial expressions.

E-excuse me?” she stuttered, gaping slightly open in astonishment.

I mean, I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend. Not all the time, just around other people.” She closed , now just confused.

But why?” Her head tilted to the side, and her eyebrows scrunched inwards. I dare say she looks cute doing that. You did not just say that. Quick, change the topic!

“Did you clean the kitchen? In one day? That must’ve been difficult,” I tried to walk past Mi sun and into the kitchen, but she wrapped a hand around my arm and halted me.

“Don’t try to change the subject. Why do I have to pretend to be your…girlfriend?”

I sighed and leaned against the doorframe. I raised my gaze to meet hers, giving her the explanation she deserved .

“You met Taemin today, right?” She nodded, still confused. “Well, he assumed that since you were living with me, you are my girlfriend.”

“And you didn’t tell him I wasn’t? That I was just your maid?”

I shook my head, shooting her an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry, okay? He said he already told another one of our friends, who I know told everyone else as soon as he was informed. Also, my parents are always pressuring me to find a girl to settle down with, and I figured this would get them off my back for a little while. I’m really, really sorry, I-I’ll pay you more if you want, just please do this for me.”

~Mi Sun~

He began to look desperate, while practically begging me to agree to this absurd request.

Never in my wildest imaginings would I have ever thought I’d come here for a job, and end up being my boss’s fake girlfriend…maybe I should say yes, I mean I do sort of owe it to him, and it’s only around other people. It’s not like I’ll have to do it all the time, right?

“Okay.” Somehow, saying that one word that I’ve said countless times before seemed like a burden. I don’t know exactly what I’m signing up for, but I do feel like it is the right thing to do…isn’t it?

God I hope so.

“Really! Thank you so much!” Minho awkwardly grabbed my hand and shook it roughly, moving my whole arm and making it flop about.

“Alright, alright! You’re about to tear my arm off here!” He immediately let go, flinging my assaulted hand down to my side. “Is there anything we need to go over, like guidelines or rules or something?” I asked.

“Oh, yeah I guess we should probably go over this.” He gestured towards the kitchen table and moved to sit down and I followed suit, taking the seat across from him.

“So, rule one obviously would be don’t tell anyone about you being my maid, or our relationship being fake.” I nodded, showing my agreement. That would be an obvious one, wouldn’t it?

“Rule two: act natural. My friends and family will expect skinship, and a lot of it. I don’t want you to pull away or look awkward with any of it. Rule three: Don’t call me Minho-sii, it’s Minho oppa, at least around other people but I’d start getting used to it.” He stopped, scrunching up his mouth and thinking, looking up to the ceiling as if it’d have any suggestions.

“Oh! Rule four: don’t flirt with any other guys/girls. I can’t think of any more as of right now, but if I think of any later I’ll let you know.” I started repeating the rules over in my head, memorizing them word for word.

“Mi Sun? Just to warn you, the guys will probably come over tomorrow, if not the next day. They’re kinda crazy, but they are really kind so don’t worry too much about it.” Just then the thought came to me.

“Minho-sii? Shouldn’t we come up with a story of like how we met and stuff? They’ll probably ask about that, right?”

“Right. Uh…we could say we met at…a park?” I scrunched up my nose and shook my head. Too cliché.

“I think it should be just somewhere on the street. Like you bumped into me while in a hurry-” I could practically see the light bulb go off over his head.

“And you had a coffee in your hand or something, and it spilled all over you, so I gave you my jacket so you wouldn’t get cold in the wind with your wet clothes. I gave you my apartment address so you could return it and we hit it off and fell in love! It is perfect. We can say we met in December last year, around Christmas, so we’ve been dating for about eleven and a half months. Sound good?” I could only nod my head, shocked that such a man could come up with such a romantic story.

“You said earlier that you went shopping right? What’s for dinner?” He stood, stretching and looking down at me, an eyebrow raised expectantly. “What?”

“Huh? Oh, nothing!” I shook my head and hastily stood, rushing over to the fridge. “I’ll get started on it now, go watch TV or something. I’ll call you when its ready.” I pulled out bunch of ingredients and began putting it together, all the while thinking about Minho, and how this whole situation was going to play out.