Chapter One: Maid Needed

~Living Arrangements~

Why? Why? WHY? I thought as I continued to rush around my small, cheap apartment. I was searching, throwing pillows and sweeping away papers, creating a mess out of my once neat home. I was trying to scrape up some money, any money to pay this months rent, but I can’t find any. Not in between the couch cushions, or hidden underneath books and magazines, there simply was none. The last of it was spent on this last week’s groceries, which wasn’t even all that much. I guess being a delivery girl doesn’t pay near enough to pay for food and take care of the rent. Maybe I can ask the boss for my pay check in advance, and work extra hard to maybe get a raise? I tried to stay positive as I grabbed my keys off of the counter and headed out for work, but still the overdue rent was weighing on my mind.

---

“Minho-ah, what’s with this mess? And don’t you know how to work a freaking washing machine? It isn’t all that hard, you know.” The naggings were nothing but a buzz in my head. Like an obnoxious fly that won’t seem to go away. I heard them, none-the-less.

“Key, I realize my house is a mess. You tell me every single time you’re over here, so I think I get the point. I’m a slob. Get over it,” Key gasped quietly, clearly offended by my rather harsh tone.

“Obviously you don’t get my point if you haven’t done anything about it. Do anything, get a maid for Christ’s sake! Lord knows you have enough money to afford that.” A maid, huh? Not a bad idea.

“Hey, I gotta go, but thanks Key!” I hurried off on a new mission: find a maid.

“For what? Hey, don’t just leave me here- YAH!”

---

Hanging my head, I fiddled with the hat in my hands, waiting for a response.

“You want your money now? Really? Hahaha, your funny. Now get out of my office,” my boss pointed at the door after turning down my request.

“But, Mrs. Jung if I don’t get the money I’m-,” I was rudely cut off.

“I don’t care. Now get. Out.” Obeying her stern tone I left the small, cramped, stuffy room and walked out into the hall. Sighing, I placed my hat on my head and went to collect my delivery. I got onto the barely functioning scooter that is assigned to me and with a splutter the engine started. I began buzzing through traffic, avoiding cars and getting honked at by a few angry old men. Halfway to my destination, the crappy old scooter gave out, making a sound very similar to a cough before shutting down completely. I dragged it off the street over to the sidewalk and tried to start it again, and again but it wasn’t going to work. I kicked the front wheel with all my might, immediately regretting it.

“Ouch! Stupid thing!” For the umpteenth time today I sighed, and hobbled around the contraption to grab the food. Slinging the bad over my shoulder I set off again for the customers residency, this time on foot.

I arrived close to an hour later. After dealing with the angry customer, and receiving less than the amount they owed me, I glumly started my way back to the restaurant, if you can call it that. Today is just not my day, is it?

---

The last of the hundred papers printed, and I reached for the stack. Grabbing some tape I headed out of the building, and began putting up the signs.

Maid needed! Pay will be 30,000 won an hour. Call XXX-XXX-XXXX to apply for the job.

Hopefully I can get someone, and soon. Being in the area I was, many teenage girls were around. Little did I know, at the time they were all infatuated with me, and those signs I put up were just what they needed. I got calls by the dozens of little girls with squeaky voices screeching at me to let them have the job, and some just talked about how ‘cute‘ or ‘hot‘ they thought I was. Others confessed and asked me out, like they even had a chance. I eventually stopped answering the phone, letting the answering machine pick up instead. By this point, I’ve lost all hope of ever finding someone reliable enough for the job. What great luck I have!

---

“…..YOU ARE FIRED!” Mrs. Jung stated with finality, ignoring my pleas. She all but threw me out the door, and I heard my bag hit the ground seconds after I nearly did. I trudged home with heavy feet, trying to contain tears of frustration and all the stress and anxiety I felt. How am I going to pay the rent now?

I was so out of it that when I got back to my apartment I almost didn’t notice the paper on my door. I peeled it off, and began reading the bolded letters.

NOTICE OF EVICTION

…and that was all it took. I broke down into tears, nearly screaming out loud. I collapsed onto my knees, right there in front of my apartment for all to see. I don’t know how long I was there for, but when I opened the door, all my personal belongings were packed into a single, large suitcase. Seeing as I was to be out today, as the letter stated, I grabbed it and left immediately, not wanting to spend anymore time there. I dragged my things down the sidewalk for who knows how many blocks, until my feet were sore. I pushed in the handle on my suitcase and sat on top of it resting my arms on my knees and my head in my hands. I sat there and thought about everything that happened in the course of one day. Why me God? Why did this have to happen to me? I didn’t do anything wrong, did I?

I looked up from the ground, and a brightly colored piece of paper posted to a telephone pole caught my eye. I walked closer to get a better look, reading the bold red words printed there:

Maid needed! Pay will be 30,000 won an hour. Call XXX-XXX-XXXX to apply for the job.

Yes! That I can do! Thanks God, I guess you really do care. Taking my things with me, I ran to the nearest payphone and scrambled up some change from deep within my pocket. I heard it ring, once, twice, three times before it went to voice mail. Don’t give up now!

“Um, hi…? I saw the ad you posted about needing a maid, and I desperately need a job, so I was hoping you’d maybe consider me for the-” I heard a click as the other line was picked up.

“Hello?!?” A rushed voice nearly shouted in my ear. “Yes, you sound good for the job! You can come now!” The man’s voice then gave me his address before hanging up, with no goodbye. The whole thing probably lasted no more than 20 seconds. I blinked in shock, and stood frozen for a few moments. Getting over it, I put the phone back on the hook and recited the address over and over in my head. Dragging my belongings along behind me, I started for that side of town, having been to that complex multiple times when delivering. Suddenly, a thought came to me…

….I have a new job….but I still don’t have any place to live!!! Omo! What’ll I do?

 

***The first chapter~~~~ Tell me what you think