engagement party and what else

Love isn't a fairytale

 

“Pick up the damn phone Shim…” I screamed in the phone while waiting for Changmin to answer. I slammed the door behind me and walked briskly to the lift and pressed the down button abusively wishing for the lift to appear right now. I tapped my right feet quickly and nibbled my fingernail. I was getting impatient – to murder Changmin.

 

A few rings before the receiver picked up to ask me to leave a message after tone. What now, conspiracy? I screamed in annoyance and raked my fingers through my hair and the lift ding. I stepped in and earned a look from the other occupant in the lift. Ignoring his stare, I had my back faced him and slowly watched the lift door closed when I realize what the look was all about – I looked like I was ravished.

 

I groaned as I rolled my eyes and rubbed my neck. I left my glasses in Yunho’s room and this guy in the lift must have thought I just had . I picked up my phone from my pocket and text Changmin.

 

‘Dude, I know you told him.’

 

As the lift reached ground floor and I speed up my walking knocking into people while walking out of the large grand doors, my phone beeped in my pocket and flashed ‘Shim Changmin’.

 

‘Busted :p’

 

I stopped in my tracks and speed dialed his number. The other end of the phone picked up and said “the number you have reached is not available, please try again later or leave a message after the beep.” I rolled my eyes, “Changmin, stop trying to be the receiver.”

 

There was a moment of silence before he burst out laughing. “Sorry hyung.” I really hate that mocking laughter. I want to castrate him badly. Babies, why does he need babies? This is ultimate betrayal!

 

“When did you tell him?”

 

“This morning?”

 

“Why! How could you betray me? I was planning to take this my OWN way.”

 

“Because your way would probably take a thousand years by then, nobody gets attached or have babies! You can’t waste your beauty!”

 

This is always about my beauty. I pursed my lips and gave a heavy sigh.

 

“Sorry hyung, I know I took things in my hands but really, we need to speed things up. You aren’t getting young. Remember the whole hotel thing?”

 

I raked my fingers through my hair again. Oh my god, how did I forget about the whole hotel issue that I was burdened with? I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed into the phone, “dearest changmin, why do you have to remind me of the hotel issue again.”

 

“What, hyung, you mean you forgot about it? Dude, that’s like the biggest thing for you and you decide to forget about it? Oh wait, I forgot you’re the biggest nerd. You indulge yourself into your world of formulas and—“

 

“Stop rambling about my nerd world. STOP!” That was too loud, the people in front of me stopped in their tracks and turned to look at me. I mouthed a sorry and pointed to the phone and bowed again.

 

“Hyung, your parents are going to take you back under their wing once you hit 25 and that’s like in few months time.”

 

I want to run from my burden, I gave a cold reply “I’ll call you back.”

 

X

 

My burden, the tiresome burden that I have been running away from since I found out when I was 16. Just like Yunho, I was the son of an hotelier and I would be made heir when I’m 25. Like Yunho, my parents own a chain of hotels around the world.

 

I was never interested in the hotel business much less being a socialite. I wanted a simple life in my nerd world where I don’t have to care much about the world. Just me and my math formulas, my scientific research, I think all these are more fun than to sit in a board room filled with old people and watch those imaginary daggers flying around the room. That is a poisonous world.

 

In addition, appearing in magazines corner such as “most attractive bachelor in town” and “number one girls’ dream catch”, I’ve seen Yunho and Changmin in it, but no, I don’t want to dress all glamorously and remember my hate for dining etiquette. Why do you want to be in the spotlight? You have people chasing you everywhere, paparazzi running after you, and silent stalkers that attack you when they have the chance.

 

My phone beeped and changmin send me another message.

 

‘Hyung, your mum just called and asked me about your partner. I told her that you are attached and she wants you with your “partner” to be at the party this weekend. Do something or else pig princess is yours!’

 

Mum? Party? Pig princess… oh dear god no. I quickly replied changmin punching the keys abusively. This is a bad omen and it better not be about my engagement party.

 

‘Please tell me this is not about my engagement party.’

 

‘Bingo!’

 

just got real.

 

X

 

I slumped in my wing chair and listened to the voicemail left by my mum.

 

“Joongie baby, it’s been 5 years since you left home. Come home this Saturday, I have a tea party arranged. 3pm be there or be square.”

 

I rolled my eyes. My mum was trying to be cool, probably watching too much idol drama trying to catch up with the younger generation and learning our lingo. ‘Be there or be square’? Does mum not know that being square is actually being nerd and unpopular like how I am right now? The only person being square that is famous and well-like is only spongebob, the annoying yellow porous sponge with his stupid star friend Patrick.

 

I puffed my cheeks and blew my fringe. Great, now I need a replacement for this party and mum is being careful about “party”, purposely excluding “engagement” so that she could trick me into marrying that pig.

 

I picked up my phone on the coffee table next to me and browsed through my contact. If only I could use changmin as my replacement. Scrolling through my phone isn’t a good idea since I only have less than what my toes and fingers could count.

 

‘Be my bride.’

 

I text changmin knowing this was a stupid idea and receiving an abusive reply from him.

 

‘How about you no. I am straight and so not cheating on my wife. Go find your man-s, guy.’

 

I sighed and toss my phone to the other arm chair a meter away from me. No, I am not looking for Yunho, not after that awkward moment with him earlier on.

 

X

A/N: I back for 2 months! Sorry this update got a little short.

I was suffering from some writer's block.