No harm with just a long lost friend

Love isn't a fairytale

 

I received a phone call at about midnight last night. My long lost best friend Shim Changmin had just returned from Australia and he wants to meet up with me for dinner today, 7 P.M., at the champion restaurant downtown.

 

Right now I’m standing outside the restaurant in my usual comfortable get down, waiting for him, hoping that he would have already gotten rid of his late habits since he is all grown-up.

 

Time was ticking really slowly and he was already late. That bastard, he should know how I am strict with punctuality and I make sure to give him a lecture later.

 

I was also a little excited to meet him since I last saw him five years ago. I wonder how much he had grown. Was he that tall skinny lanky boy who only knew how to follow his brother everywhere? Then someone gave me a tap on my shoulders.

 

Shoulder taps. I really hate them.

 

I got off from the wall and turned around to give the stranger a stern look.

 

“Yah…” I said with a tone of annoyance and brushed my shoulders. I looked at the man and tried to continue from where I stopped but I was taken aback by what I saw.

 

This young man looked really familiar. That same long nose, with thick eye brows, and pearly white teeth. His sausage lips matching his mismatched eyes, was this the Shim Changmin that I knew five years ago?

 

“Hyung!” he called me. “Don’t you recognize me?” he asked chirply. “It’s me, Changmin, Shim Changmin!” he pointed to himself.

 

I was bewildered. Was the Shim I know back then so good-looking? I heard people change really fast whenever they stay abroad for a few years… the rumors are really true. Just look at my brother! He’s so dashing right now, well-built, firm muscles, and he looks so dazzling with his slim suit.

 

No wait. Why am I spazzing like a girl!

 

I shook my head severely, pushing the crazy girly thoughts away and responded back to the awkward silence.

 

“Y-Yeah… You had a huge change so I was really shocked.” Said I, who was still shock with the sudden transformation. Even I forgot that I was suppose to lecture him about punctuality. "Dude, I feel underdressed." 

 

Changmin chuckled and hung his arm around my neck. His tight shirt stretched around his chest area and I managed to catch a glimpse of his firm chest from in between the slits of his shirts. I'm not a particular boy, in my defense, it was unavoidable. Fine, my for firm chest. He spoke and brought me back from my ditsy dreams again. "When do you feel like you are dressed for the ocassion?" I caught sight of his charming smile and he shook his head slightly, pulling me along to queue behind a couple.

 

The waitress then led us into the restaurant as Changmin had already made reservations earlier on and we sat in the private room where we could chat with ease, since I wasn’t used to how the rich eat. Fine dining and its rules; I don’t need to learn about dining etiquette if eating slowly and gracefully is making me feel full faster. I prefer how peasants eat. Gorging food down my throat satisfies me more than anything else at least I feel comfortable than torturing myself by slicing the meat into bite size before I can finally taste it. It takes too long!

 

“How have you been bro!” I stretched over and pat Changmin’s shoulder as soon as we sat down. What a starter.

 

“Been doing really well.”

 

“You’re really handsome tonight.” I checked him out with my eyes with a lecherous smirk. No, I wasn’t going to eat him.

 

“Why hyung, are you gonna eat me up tonight?” he joked. "Your gay instincts are showing!" Changmin prowled baring his teeth and fingers.

 

I laughed along his jokes and kick his shin. “Yah, your hyung may be gay, but you’re not my cup of tea.” I chuckled while watching him whine in pain. It was fun catching up with him.

 

“Jae hyung, have you found any fish while I was away?”

 

“Why? Trying to be my matchmaker?”

 

He laughed. “No, I was just wondering since you are quite a good catch if you manage to go get a proper hairdo." he was analyzing me with his fashion instincts. He finally looked up and made eye contact. "Have you stopped studying and finally get on with life?”

 

“Changmin-ah, since when does a nerd have a life? My books are my wife. Besides, I’m studying for my Masters now.”

 

Changmin rolled his eyes like old times whenever I mentioned about studying or anything nerd related. He was the cool type who was always interested in fashion - a rather colorful life - while I immerse myself with black and white everyday - a mundane life. See the difference? I am still wondering how we even became best friends.

 

“But hyung, you are turning 30 soon and you need a partner!” cried Changmin who is eagerly trying to wed me off.

 

I really have no interest in love life since love is all nothing but a fairytale.

 

“Enough with the fairytale Changmin. Let’s just talk about you. What’s your catch?” I tried to change the topic. Everything about love just ticks me off. What’s so fun about love? It’s always a play thing. When you take it too seriously and things happen, every party involved is going to sulk, sulk, and sulk.

 

He clasped his hands together and put on a dreamy face. “My catch.. huge doe eyes, small face, lush lips, big s, small waists, long legs.”

 

“Pfft.” I blew air out of my pursed lips. “As if there’s such person.” I rolled my eyes. Those types of girls only appear in comics, really.

 

“No hyung, really! My fiance!” he dug his pants pocket and pressed a few apps on his phone before showing me a picture of him and his girlfriend.

 

‘Ah… so girls like do exist…’  I formed an ‘O’ shape in my mouth and pretended to be interested. Yeah, no interests in s and s at all.

 

Changmin’s initial expression that was filled with excitement died down after he saw how uninterested I was. “Yeah, yeah, hyung. No s, only , I get it.”

 

I took the cup of red wine and had a sip. “Sorry, gay.” I winked and he gave me a digusted face.

 

“Anyway hyung!” Changmin continued excitedly “I called you today because I’m getting married!” He was beaming. Since when was his smile so radiating?

 

I almost choked on my herb bun. I pounded my chest hardly and spoke in between breathes “What? When?”

 

Changmin stretched forward and rubbed my back, hoping to calm me down.

 

“Two days later, at the continental.” He sat back and rest his head on his left hand.

 

‘Ah, he looked so cool… will I ever meet someone like him?’ My gaze just went to his chest. I tried to avoid looking at it, but the cloth is stretching and I can see the cloth take shape of his firm chest. I managed to snap out of my thoughts before Changmin notices.

 

“That’s too fast!” I lean against my seat and crossed my leg. “So a model decides to put his career on hold, decides to start a family first, then back to the runway. You’ve grown up..” I nodded my head as I thought about it.

 

Changmin had a bashful smile. “Yeah, I want to try being a father. Make sure you turn up for my wedding.” He slyly slide a pink card folded into half with gold embossed words, curved like bobbed wires.

 

Even my brother is moving on to the next phase of life.

 

“Sure, I’ll remember to turn up.” I smile while thanking him with the card.

 

Now I will have to spend money on expensive suit since people who will be turning up for the wedding will probably be influential people.

 

As I was still thinking deeply with how I should face with my current life and Changmin sending disgustingly sweet messages to his future wife, the waitress from the restaurant knocked on our door and served us our entres.

 

Food. Yes, food makes one forget everything. What marriage, what family, food and books is all I need. 

 

X

 

Changmin was total uncontactable the next day and I was left alone to do shopping. I wouldn’t expect much since I’m the one choosing my own clothes and Changmin always teases how I always end up looking like a clown whenever I try to feel properly dressed.

 

Since it’s my buddy’s big day, I decided to let go my pride and just bought whatever looks good on the mannequin.

 

It was a good thing I had a standing mirror at the end of my corridor. I watched myself parade through the imaginary runway I had created as visual aid. Did a bit of posing and yeah, I’m good to go. I did a final tug at my bow and shifted it to sit perfectly in between my collar.

 

I drove to the hotel and chose valet parking since it saves me time looking for a parking lot. As soon as I hand over my car keys to the person-in-charge, he gave me a weird look as I watched how his eyes looked me up and down.

 

Was he trying to eat me too? He finally realized I was looking at him with a questioning look and he immediately bowed and gave me a smile. Maybe he is just weird, or so I thought.

 

I walked up the flight of stairs laid with red carpet as it leads up to the ballroom.

 

WOW, I gaped. Changmin sure go through some extravagant decorations and it made it look like some billionaire’s wedding. I am very impressed with my buddy.

I looked around with my head up, pretty much ignoring everyone that was coming my way. I was trying to get a good glimpse of how those gold carved majestic looked like on the walls and I occasionally bumped into few other’s shoulder.

 

Sometimes I just hate myself for being a clutz too. I am  in deep trouble because I just accidentally bumped into a stranger’s chest and knocked over his glass of red wine which spilled onto his white shirt. Not a good sign.

 

“YAH!” A man with deep voice just screamed into my ears.

 

I didn’t know where to look except the red patch that was on his chest- holy his chest, wow, it’s even more firm that Changmin’s. I wanna grab it. I wanna-

 

“Yah! Are you deaf?” the stranger scoffed as he pushed my left shoulder.

 

It woke me up from my beastly dreams. Damn, I need to practise more self-control. I quickly glanced at the stranger and bowed immediately, apologizing, as he took out his black checkered handerchief from his inner pocket.

 

“I’m sorry!”

 

I watched him dab on his chest and grabbed his hand to dab for him instead. Yes, I managed to take the chance to touch his yummy firm chest. Oh my god, I can’t even describe this exploding feeling despite my super ultra nerdy cool exterior.

 

“Enough! Enough!” cried the man who kept pushing my hand away. “Aah.. just my luck..” he growled and gave a displeasing face before leaving.

 

The onlookers around us turned around to look at the ruckus that I made. Yeah, I want to run out of this god damn hall now. Good thing I have my fringe to hide my face behind.

 

“What happened?” I heard Changmin’s voice behind me. I turned around and gave him a teary looked and he grabbed my hand and pulled me out to the balcony.

 

“What happened hyung?”

 

“I kinda spilled red wine on your guest?” I laughed dryly, walking away from Changmin with small steps.

 

“Yah, are you trying to ruin my wedding?”

 

“Not really. On a positive side, I managed to touch his chest.” I tried to hide my smile. It felt cushion-y.

 

I could tell Changmin was in shock after I said I touched him. “You what- hyung, you spilled wine on him on purpose so you could target him?”

 

“No, it wasn’t on purpose, but offering to dab his shirt with his handkerchief WAS on purpose.” I smiled.

 

“Yah yah yah…” Changmin punched my shoulder. “So who is this guy?” he asked enthusiastically has he sling his arm over my shoulder.

 

I looked up and tried to spot for that unlucky man from just now and managed to find him at 3 o’clock in the ballroom.

 

“There!” I pointed to his direction. The poor guy was still trying to dab the wine away. “Three o’clock!”

 

Changmin peered over my head and tried to look within my line of vision, but his mismatched eyes found it hard to do so.

 

“I can’t find him hyung. Never mind, yoochun and I set you up for a friend of ours and we’ve decided to match you guys together.”

 

“Yoochun? Who’s that?”

 

“Oh, another friend of mine that I met in Australia. I’ll introduce him to you later. Anyway, let me find you that guy…”

 

Changmin grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowd and the path that he is taking right now seems to be leading to Mr. I-touched-his-chest.

 

BINGO.

 

“HYUNG!!!” Changmin cried as he ran over to hug his friend, which was also the guy whom I knocked the glass of wine on his shirt.

 

Great. Now I do believe in “coincidence”.

 

The man gave Changmin a hug and left stain of his shirt forgotten for the time being. “Oh!!! Changmin-ah!” The man hugged him back.

 

I stood awkwardly - a few meters away - and was trying my very best to get Changmin’s attention. Surprisingly the stranger didn’t notice who I was. Maybe his vision was bad. Well, no harm trying to find out his name since I am rather attached to his chest.

 

Changmin pulled me over. “Oh yes, hyung. This was the guy that chun and I talked about.”

 

Before even looking up, I bowed to the man, trying to hide myself. He return the gesture and as I was about to introduced myself, he beat me to it.

 

“Hi, jung Yunho.” He offered his hand.

 

I took his hand, gave a firm handshake and bowed back, “Kim Jaejoong. Nice to meet you.” I looked up at him and managed to catch a glimpse of that firm chest again! Life is really good.

 

“Nice to- “ before he finished his sentence, he found out who I was. His face had a murderous look and I could tell he was going to swallow me whole.

 

“YAH!” Yunho shouted again. Why is he always raging? Can’t he just keep calm and forget about the stain on his shirt since he already hid it perfectly behind his blazer? I tried to hide my sigh.

 

Changmin had a confused look as he looked between Yunho and I.

“Don’t tell me..” Changmin pointed between us, “your little trouble?” he whispered to me.

 

I nodded my head awkwardly. Yunho was still raging and his bunched up cheeks look like two tomatoes as he clenched his teeth. He’s going to punch me!

 

 

Changmin tried to make the atmosphere between us cool a little by laughing dryly. “Jae-hyung, this is my cousin, Yunho-hyung. I see you guys know each other already.” I watched Changmin nudged Yunho at his sides.

 

Yunho send him death glares and Changmin shunned his eyes. He gave me a pat on my back and left us.

 

“Bride’s waiting!” I rolled my eyes. He's such a loser.

 

As soon as Changmin left, I was left with a fuming beast that was ready to pounce me.

 

“Pay me for the laundry.” Yunho stretched out his hands as he spoke with arrogance.

 

That is why I hate the rich. It was obvious he wanted money so I played along, pretending to be the stupidest person on earth. I looked at his palm with a confused face, and took his hand pretending to think that he wants a handshake. You should have seen me. I wanted to burst out laughing for making a fool of him.

 

“I can do the laundry for you.” I shook his hand making sure to keep a clueless face. I look like a complete fool.

 

Yunho let go of my hand immediately and crossed his arms. "Don't try to act dumb."

 

I hid behind my fringe and pretended to be scared. 

 

"Why are you keeping silent? Are you scared of me?" He smirked. See, they are so full of themselves. "My shirt cost me 1 million won. You better pay me for the laundry." 

 

I scoffed. 1 million won for a shirt? That's a waste of money. I can find a similar looking shirt at 10,000 won. 

 

"Yah... Why are you not opening your mouth? Are you mute?" he jabbed my right shoulder after every word. 

 

As a man, I also had my limits. "I didn't speak because I didn't want to speak to an obnoxious snob like you." I finally looked up at him and tilted my head. 

 

3, 2, 1... BOOM. Yunho exploded. He dropped his hands to his sides and walked towards me. My animal instinct tells me that I am going to die soon and I backed away with quick steps as he made his way forward, cornering me.

 

His overtowering body covered me at the corner and my eyes was in full view of his chest. Yunho's chest had already stole away my concentration and I am trying to find a small opening so I could catch a glimpse of his tanned skin. Yunho was rumbling on and on about something which I completely shut out and my mind was filled with how I am going to seduce this man so I can touch his yummy chest everyday. 

 

Then without me noticing, he grabbed me by the collar and pulled my fringe back. That was when I took notice of his handsome small face as the pain was overwhelming. 

 

/  *  /  *  /  *  /

A/N: let me go to bed first then I'll update part 2 later on.

I am finally free to sit down and do an update. Excuse my grammar and spelling mistakes. 

I was typing this half asleep and I didn't proofread before submitting it.