Chapter Nine

Orphan Hut

Hoya awoke to a really loud snoring coming from beside him. Frowning slightly, the boy flopped over to find a large owl snuggled up next to him. It took him a few seconds to fully register who it was. When realization finally hit him, Hoya bolted upright and kicked the tall boy. “Lee Sungyeol?!” he shouted, waking up everyone else in the room.

 

Sungyeol opened his eyes and looked at Hoya with a confused look. “What? I was sleeping,” the older boy whined.

 

“What are you doing on my bed? Where’s Dongwoo?”

 

“On the floor. My back hurts, so he said he would trade me. He really…”

 

“No! Get off! Give Dongwoo hyung back his bed!”

 

“But my back…”

 

“Enough boys!” a voice cried, making Hoya realize that everyone else was awake. Turning slightly, he found a very angry hamster glaring at him. “Sungyeol, give Dongwoo his bed back.”

 

“He can have it,” Sungyeol said, standing up. Hoya could’ve sworn Sungyeol winked at Dongwoo, but wasn’t too sure about that. “I’m not tired anymore.”

 

Sungyeol started walking out of the room, but stopped when someone called his name.

 

“Wait for me and Myunggie! We wanna go too!” Sungjong cried. Myungsoo and Sungjong jumped out of their bed and followed Sungyeol out of the room.

 

Hoya felt the bed dip and turned to find a grinning Dongwoo next to him. The older boy tackled him into a hug, laughing slightly. “Why are you so happy, hyung?” Hoya asked.

 

“It’s nothing,” Dongwoo mumbled, burying his face in Hoya’s back. “Lub-y-ho-ya.”

 

“What was that?” Hoya turned and pulled Dongwoo away from him. The older boy’s face was bright red and he wouldn’t look up at Hoya. “Hyung?”

 

Dongwoo shook his head and rolled off the bed. “Nothing… You’re it!” Dongwoo then ran out of the room, leaving Hoya on the bed, confused. He then turned to Woohyun and Sunggyu, who just shrugged.



 

“Look! Gyu Gyu made more grape juice!” Myungsoo cried, running outside. Sungyeol followed as the younger boy bounced happily to the bucket of grape juice outside. Sunggyu and Woohyun were nowhere to be found, but Sungyeol decided not to think much about it. The two were a new couple and they probably wanted to spend some quality time together. It would make so much sense.

 

“Yah! Don’t drink it!” Sungyeol cried as the little boy brought the thing up to his lips. The boy didn’t listen, so Sungyeol ran up and grabbed it out of his hands. Myungsoo yanked it back, glaring at him. “Give it here.” Sungyeol glared at Myungsoo as he tried anxiously to get the juice out of Myungsoo’s hands. This boy was stubborn.

 

“No! You can’t have it! It’s mine,” Myungsoo told him, stomping his foot on the ground.

 

“It’s everyone’s juice! You can’t just drink it! The hamster hyung made it for dinner! He’s still making dinner, so it’s not time for this juice,” Sungyeol scolded, still tugging on the drink. The younger boy would not give it. Not at all.

 

“He lets me drink it!” Myungsoo glared at Sungyeol, waiting for him to let him have the grape juice. “You’re a very mean hyung.”

 

“I want juice!” another voice cried. They both turned to see Hoya pouting at them, and then the bucket was pulled out of their hands.

 

“You know better, Kim Myungsoo,” they heard Woohyun say. They turned to see a not so happy Woohyun frowning at them. “Now, both of you, go inside the hut and sit in your rooms. Myungsoo, you go to OUR hut.”

 

“B-but hyung-“ Sungyeol whined, earning a frown from Woohyun.

 

“Go!” Woohyun ordered, pointing at the two houses. Myungsoo obeyed and ran to the second hut Sungyeol’s never been into. Sungyeol just stood there, looking at Woohyun.

 

“I won’t,” Sungyeol stated, crossing his arms. “I didn’t even-“

 

“No talking back, Lee Sungyeol. Go right now. If you don’t, you won’t get any dinner.”

 

“That’s not fair! I didn’t do anything! I was stopping Myungsoo!” Sungyeol shouted. “You can’t make me do anything!”

 

“You wanna bet?” Woohyun asked, setting the juice down and crossing his arms.

 

“Yeah! Nobody tells me what to do. None ever dares to! I always get what I want.”

 

“Not here, you don’t.” Sungyeol watched Woohyun, completely shocked that he was standing up to him. “You’re lucky you’re dealing with me and not Sunggyu. Now, get in there. Now. Or else I’ll force you.”

 

Sungyeol stubbornly shook his head, so Woohyun grabbed his wrist and pulled him into the hut. He then put him in the room and shut the door. “Yah! Let me out!”

 

“No. Not until after dinner. You won’t talk to me or Sunggyu like that. Maybe you didn’t do anything wrong, but you talked back and argued. That is wrong,” he heard Woohyun say from the other side of the door. “You won’t get any dinner tonight.”Sungyeol frowned and tried opening the door, but it was locked. He sighed and looked around the room, seeing paper and ink. Sighing, the boy plopped down on the ground. He was completely shocked that someone fought against him. That someone forced him to do something. That never ever happened before. No one  ever cared to.



 

“Let’s eat!” Sunggyu called, not getting any response. Frowning, he turned to Woohyun. The island was oddly quiet. “Where is everyone?”

 

“Sungyeol isn’t eating tonight. He’s in trouble. Myungsoo is in time out, but I’ll let him out. The other three are playing in the rocks,” Woohyun answered, placing his arms around Sunggyu’s waist and placing his chin on the older’s shoulder.

 

Sunggyu pouted and turned around so that their chests were touching. He wrapped his arms around his neck. “You shouldn’t sit there and watch me fail as I try and call them,” he muttered.

 

“But it’s cute,” Woohyun told him, grinning.

 

“You’re mean.”

 

“I know.” Woohyun pecked his lips and then backed away. Sunggyu pouted again, causing Woohyun to laugh. “I’ll go get Myungsoo. You go get Sungjong and the others.”

 

Sunggyu nodded and turned towards the rocking area of the beach. Sighing, he walked over to where the kids were. As he got closer, he could hear the shouts and laughter coming from the three boys. “Hey, Sungjong. Dongwoo. Hoya. It’s dinner,” Sunggyu said, walking around the big boulder.

 

“Gyu Gyu!” Sungjong cried, throwing himself into his brother’s arms. Sunggyu laughed and picked him up.

 

“Let’s go! I made a feast with the fish and the food Dongwoo and Hoya gave us,” Sunggyu told them.

 

“With carrots?” Sungjong asked.

 

“Yes, there’s carrots.”

 

“And grape juice,” Hoya added, skipping next to Sunggyu as he led them to the fire.

 

“Yes, we have grape juice.”

 

“That’s why the choding hyung and L Man got in trouble. L Man drank the juice, or tried to, and choding hyung stopped him. Then choding hyung argued with your husband, so now choding hyung can’t eat,” Hoya said, innocently.

 

Sunggyu laughed and shook his head. “You know, all five of you ARE chidings, so what’s the point of calling him one?” Sunggyu asked.

 

“He acts like a younger kid than us, so his new name  choding.”

 

“Whatever you say.” Sunggyu shook his head, again, and set Sungjong down by the fire.

 

“What are you guys talking about?” Woohyun asked, back hugging him.

 

“Nothing really,” Sunggyu answered, dishing out some food. “You know, maybe we should give some food to Sungyeol. It won’t be a lot, but let’s not starve the kid.”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“We won’t give him any juice. I don’t think Myungsoo should get any other. But I’ll give him some dumplings and carrots.”

 

“Just don’t give him fish. He hates fish,” Dongwoo told him.

 

“That won’t matter after all of this is gone. That’s all we have,” Sunggyu replied. He took the plate of dumplings he dished out and stood up. “I’ll go talk to him. Do you have the key, Woohyun?”

 

Woohyun sighed and nodded, handing Sunggyu the room’s key. Sunggyu took the key and left the five sitting there. He could feel the stares on his back, but ignored it. He walked inside and unlocked the door to the room. Sungyeol was found laying on the floor, staring at the ceiling.

 

“Sungyeol-ah,” Sunggyu stated, closing the door and walking over to him. He sat down and handed the food to Sungyeol. “Don’t take Woohyun wrongly. He cares. About you. About the kids. About all of us. It’s just hard for us. Having 3 new kids to take care of, it’s a lot of hard work. We’re both really scared and stressed. We have been for a while. We don’t mean to upset you. We’re trying our best to make all of you happy. It’s just hard.”

 

“It’s okay, Sunggyu sshi-,” Sungyeol started, but was interrupted by Sunggyu.

 

“Call me hyung,” Sunggyu assured him, giving him a warm smile.

 

“Right, Sunggyu… hyung. It’s just, I was acting stupid. Really stupid. I’m just so used to getting everything I want. I’m a stupid spoiled brat who only thinks of himself. I never asked for anything… I always ordered things, making people do what I want. Even… U-uncle Jonghyun. Everyone was so scared of me that they gave in and did it. They were so scared that they didn’t even punish me! That’s why I yelled at Woohyun. I was surprised anyone would dare say no to me. I’m that spoiled.”

 

Sunggyu sat quietly for a while, listening to the boy’s story. After a long pause, Sunggyu shifted onto his knees, staring at the younger boy. “What made you that way, Sungyeol?” he asked, softly.

 

“I-I was lonely. I never once met my parents. No one understood me. I was rich with no friends. I didn’t want people to befriend me because of my money. I didn’t want people to pity me because I have no parents. But that’s all I did. So I distanced myself from everyone. I became cold and mean towards every single person. I never had anyone to talk to that truly understood me. I had no one who would listen. Never once had I met an orphan.”

 

“Until now. Sungyeol, we’re here for you. We always will be here. We do understand what it’s like to have no parents. To be lonely. We’re isolated from the world. We have no idea what’s going on out there. It’s only been the four of us for such a long time.”

 

“You know, I think fate brought us together, the 7 of us. This fate caused me to meet Hoya and Dongwoo. It led us to this island.”

 

“Fate is what got you guys on that cruise ship together.”

 

“Yeah… Hey, did you eat yet?”

 

“No…”

 

“Then go eat. Stop worrying about me. I’m fine. I just need some time to think.” Sunggyu nodded and hesitantly stood up. “And Sunggyu…? Thank you. For everything.” Sungyeol jumped up and hugged the older boy. Sunggyu smiled and hugged him back.

 

“And also, the food. Thanks for talking to Woohyun and convincing him that I should eat. I was really dying of starvation. But I deserved it.”

 

“No, you don’t deserve it. Nobody does. But anyway. Anything for you. You’re family now,” Sunggyu answered, before leaving the room.