Chapter Fourteen

Orphan Hut

“You’re not just gonna stand there and watch, right?”

           

“Huh?” Sungyeol snapped from his daze, his eyes moving from the ceiling to look at Myungsoo. “What? Am I supposed to be doing something?”

           

“Um…yeah?” the younger boy tried, motioning around at the busy, kid-operated kitchen. “Have you not realized that…?”

           

“Oh. Oh, you’re funny,” Sungyeol said with a soft laugh. “I’m sorry, but Lee Sungyeol doesn’t cook. He only eats.”

           

From across the kitchen, Sungjong dropped the potato he was attempting to peel with his nails because “knives were too dangerous for children”. “You’re kidding me. Hyung, please tell me Yeol hyung’s kidding.”

           

Hoya, who was leaned over attempting to cool off the boiling soup with a straw fan, shrugged indifferently. “From what I know of him…no.”

           

“Then I’m not peeling this darn thing anymore,” Sungjong huffed.

           

“Like we needed you to. I told you beforehand already, we didn’t need potatoes. But you kept insisting on them.”

           

“I miss potatoes,” Sungyeol sighed loudly from his corner.

           

“What’s so good about potatoes?” Myungsoo wrinkled his nose, and Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungyeol nearly fell off their feet.

           

“French fries!” Dongwoo gasped. “Myungsoo!”

           

“Oh right. The kid’s been living under a rock for his entire life,” Sungyeol added in a minute later.

           

“On an island,” Myungsoo corrected, sounding offended. “There is a difference.”

           

From the table, Woohyun raised his eyebrows at his boyfriend, then turned back to the boys messing right before their eyes.

           

“Er. I don’t think serving soup is supposed to take this long.”

           

Hoya coughed, flipping his hair back. “You don’t understand the difficulties, hyung. You don’t understand.”

           

“We’re only serving soup?!” Sungjong croaked. “Then what was I peeling a potato for?”

           

Dongwoo looked down at his empty hands, then asked, “Wait, what was I supposed to be doing this entire time?”

           

“You were supposed to get the spoons,” Hoya rolled his eyes, feeling as if he was the only person doing anything. (He was).

           

“Hey!” Sungyeol cried as if he’d figured something out. He pointed at Myungsoo, then said, “You’re not doing anything either!”

           

“Well, yeah.”

           

“Then what on earth were you complaining to me for?! You’re just as useless!” Sungyeol scoffed.

           

“…Well yeah, but I’m younger than you.”

           

“That doesn’t count for anything! I’m a minor too, you know.”

           

Myungsoo’s eyebrows furrowed a bit, then turned to his older brother. He vaguely remembered a piece of information Woohyun had told him years back about gold mines and decided to apply it to this situation – because honestly, it didn’t make any sense to him what Sungyeol had just said.

           

“…Then where’s your pick axe?”