Chapter Five

Orphan Hut

Hoya and Dongwoo crouched in a dark corner of the ship, hearing many footsteps and voices all around them. Hoya snuggled close to Dongwoo, gripping tightly onto the older boy’s hand. He felt Dongwoo wrap his other arm around him, pulling him close, protectively. Hoya was so relieved to have him right there, next to him.

 

“This is going to be a long ride,” Hoya said, digging his face in Dongwoo’s chest. Dongwoo nodded and they sat there, quietly. Soon enough, they saw two girls walking their way. Luckily, they didn’t notice the boys.

 

“Unnie, tell me about the cruise, now. All you said is that we’re going on the Infinite Cruise, which is about 3 months,” one girl said.

 

“Oh, yeah… Well, the first stop is in Australia and then Greece and it loops around,” the other girl said. The younger girl nodded and turned her head, spotting the boys. She broke into a huge grin, walking over to them.

 

“Hi, I’m Sulli,” She said, kneeling down in front of them with a huge smile on her face. “What’s your guys’ names?”

 

Hoya dug his head deeper into Dongwoo’s chest as the older boy stared at him. “I- I’m Dongwoo. This is Hoya. He’s shy,” he finally said. The girl named Sulli smiled and nodded her head.

 

“It’s nice to meet you. This is my sister, Amber.” She pointed at the girl behind her, who was quietly watching the scene. “Where are your parents?”

 

“W-we don’t have any,” Hoya mumbled into Dongwoo’s shirt. Sulli frowned and looked at her older sister.

 

“Did you guys come here with anyone?” Amber asked, stepping up and kneeling beside Dongwoo. The boy sat there, frozen. He already messed up. He shook his head, slowly. Amber frowned and placed her hand on his shoulder, looking into his eyes. “Where is your room?

 

Hoya sat up suddenly, staring at Dongwoo in horror. They were already found out, and the cruise had just started.  Dongwoo gave him a reassuring squeeze to his hand as he looked at the girls. “Please don’t tell anyone. Please! This is the only way we can stay together. We can’t be separated. Never,” Dongwoo cried.

 

Amber sighed and shook her head. “You’re stowaways?” The two boys nodded, looked at the floor. “Boys, this isn’t right…”

 

“If you make us go back to Seoul, Yunho will send me to Japan and hyung to New York. We can’t be separated! Dongwoo hyung has been by my side since I was born. I can’t live without him,” Hoya cried.

 

“Boys-“

 

“We’ll just be here till we reach Australia and then Yoochun, Junsu and Jae hyung's will take us. I..”

 

“It’s okay, Hoya. We won’t tell anyone. It’s really bad, but we’ll do it. You can stay in our room,” Sulli said. The boys’ faces brightened up as Sulli offered her hand to help them up. “How old are you guys?”

 

“I’m nine. Hoya’s eight,” Dongwoo told her, reaching out to grab Hoya’s hand. The younger immediately pulled away, resulting in a very confused dinosaur. The boy had a serious mood swing right there.

 

“Let me answer for myself for once, hyung!” Hoya snapped, glaring at Dongwoo.

 

“S-sorry…”

 

“You always answer for me! It makes me so mad!” Dongwoo’s eyes widened as he backed into Sulli, shaking his head in disbelief. Hoya never once had yelled at Dongwoo. “You know, maybe I do wish you would go to New York with Yoochun hyung! I’m so tired of you. You’re so annoying!”

 

Tears started falling down Dongwoo’s cheeks as he stared at Hoya in horror. Then he started shaking. The boy cut eye contact with Hoya and turned away, running from the scene as fast as he could. Hoya, finally realizing what he just said, covered his mouth with wide eyes and turned to Sulli.

 

“Go get him,” Sulli assured him. Hoya nodded and took off after him.

 

“Hyung! Wait! I’m sorry!” Hoya called. “I didn’t mean anything I said! I was mad.”

 

He ran around the corner, past a very confused couple who started muttering to each other. He rounded another corner and bumped into someone, falling backwards.

 

“S-sorry,” the person said, turned to face Hoya. Seeing the face, Hoya sighed with relief, pulling himself up. The person tried walking away, but Hoya grabbed his wrist.

 

“Hyung, stop it. Let me talk!” Hoya shouted at him. The other boy tried pulling away his hand from Hoya. “Jang Dongwoo! Listen to me right now!” the boy stopped struggling and looked at the ground. Instead of saying anything, Hoya first flung his arms around the boy’s neck, crying into his shoulder. Dongwoo stiffened at first, but then wrapped his arms around the younger boy’s waist, patting his back. “I’m so sorry, Dongwoo hyung. I didn’t mean any of that. At all. I’m really sorry!”

 

“It’s okay, Howon-ah, I’m okay. I know you didn’t mean it,” Dongwoo whispered into Hoya’s ear.

 

“Then don’t run away. I was so lost and upset.”

 

“I won’t. Now, let’s go back to the girls.” Dongwoo backed out of the hug and took Hoya’s hand. They walked around for a while before realizing they didn’t know where to go. They were lost.



 

Sungyeol happily skipped into his assigned room, dragging his suitcase with wheels behind him. He looked around the room, noticing an open suitcase on one of the two beds in the room. He dropped his suitcase and crossed his arms, pouting. He had a roommate. He hated roommates. He wanted his own room. He NEEDS his own room.

 

"Why me?!" he cried, stomping his foot. There was no way he could changes this.

 

This is the first time in a long time that he isn't getting what he wants. It pisses him off.

The door opened from behind him and he the newcomer, glaring at him. "Oh, hello. You must be my roommate. I'm Seo Eunkwang," a boy with dirty blonde hair said.

 

Sungyeol turned his back to him and went to his own bed, leaving the suitcase in the middle of the floor. He could feel Eunkwang’s stare on his back, but he ignored it.

A knock was heard and Sungyeol's roommate opened it. Two boys ran in and jumped on Eunkwang's bed. Sungyeol ignored them and stood up, walking over to his bag. He dug through it and found a book. He took it out and set it on the floor before dragging his bag to the small closet on his side of the room. He could feel the stares of the boys on his bed.

 

"So, this is your roommate, hyung?" one of the boys asked. "He's really tall. I wish you could be in mine and Changsub's room. Then you would be with people you know instead of being stuck here with-"

 

"Stop talking, Minhyuk. You're being rude," Eunkwang ordered. Sungyeol smirked and stuffed his bag in the closet. He then grabbed his Galaxy Note and headphones. The three boys watched as he passed them and went to pick up his book.

 

"What's your name?" a boy about his age asked. Sungyeol looked at him and gave him a tiny smile. "I'm Changsub."

 

"Lee Sungyeol," Sungyeol told him before leaving the room. He closed the door and walked into the already empty halls. Breaking into a smile, he walked away. For some reason, that Changsub boy made him happy. Sighing, the boy walked into the lobby. He found that it was already completely crowded, which angered Sungyeol slightly. He wanted a nice and quiet place so he could enjoy this cruise. Also, he wanted to find that promised best friend. He didn't know how to.

 

Frowning, Sungyeol walked away, going through the halls. Out of nowhere, someone popped up in front of Sungyeol. The boy bumped into the person and they both fell over. "S-sorry," the person muttered. Sungyeol ignored him and stared at his Galaxy Note. There was a huge crick traveling down the screen. He stood up in horror and hugged the device to himself.

 

"Y-you broke it! You broke my ipod!" he shouted, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Uncle made me give up coffee for a whole week to get this! I almost died! And then you broke my week's worth of coffee! I hate you!" He then ran off, leaving a bewildered stranger to stare after him.

 

Another person ran to the boy sitting on the floor, brushing Sungyeol's shoulder. Sungyeol heard the boy shout "Hoya, are you okay?" before turning a corner. He kept running, not caring what anybody said. After running blindly through the ship, Sungyeol finally stopped. He looked around to take in his surroundings.

 

He saw life boats and realized he was in the back of the boat. Better yet, he was alone. No people to annoy him. Grinning widely, he jumped into one of the many boats, making himself at home. He his digital device, which worked, to his delight. He plugged in his music and fell asleep soon after.



 

"Hyung! Run!" Hoya shouted, pulling on Dongwoo's sleeve. The two ran past many people, trying to escape the security guard. They were caught after some kid had bumped into Hoya and then yelled at him for breaking something. The guard heard the kid yelling and spotted him running away, crying as if the world was going to end.

 

::Flashback::

"Where are they?" Dongwoo whined, looking around. Hoya just shrugged and walked ahead of him. He turned his head to look at the sea through the window when a tall boy came running around the corner. The boy crashed into him and they both fell. Hoya hit his head on the wall, giving him a slight headache.

 

"S-sorry," Hoya muttered, rubbing the back of his head. The boy must not have heard him since he was staring at something in his hands. Suddenly, he brought the thing to his chest, looking at Hoya with fear written all over his face.

 

"Y-you broke it!" He shouted. "You broke my ipod!" Hoya stared at him, wanting to apologize. He hated upsetting anyone. Yet he couldn't since the boy continued. This ruined any thoughts of apologizing. "Uncle made me give up coffee for a whole week to get this! I almost died!" Wow, this kid is seriously spoiled. "And then you broke my weeks' worth of coffee! I hate you!"

 

Hoya watched him run off, bewildered. 'That kid is weird. Such a choding,' he thought as Dongwoo came rushing up to him. "Hoya, are you okay?" he asked as he gripped onto the younger's hand and pulled him up.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine, but I don't think..." he started before a voice was heard behind them.

 

"Yah! What did you guys do to that kid?" the two boys looked at eachother, then turned to the guy. As they feared, he was wearing a security outfit.

 

"W-we didn't do anything..." Hoya stated, backing into Dongwoo. He started shaking as the older placed his hand on Hoya's shoulder.

 

"Why is the kid crying?"

 

"I-i was looking out the window and h-he bumped into me..."

 

"Where are your parents?" the guy asked, eying them suspiciously. Hoya then realized that they still had their bags on.

 

"We didn't come with them," Dongwoo answered, keeping a firm grip on Hoya.

 

"Where are you two staying?" The two looked at each other, not sure what to say. Then Hoya started running, yanking on Dongwoo's hand.

::End of Flashback::

 

They kept rounding corners until Dongwoo stopped, catching his breath. "Remember what Jae hyung told us?" the boy asked, between breaths. Hoya looked at him, thinking about Jae's words. Before he could say anything, though, Dongwoo continued. "He said to take a life boat. I think we have to."

 

"Wait, what? Why do we need to..." Hoya started, but was cut off once again by Dongwoo grabbing his hand and running off in another direction. Once they made it to the boats, Dongwoo started looking around."That one! Get in that one!" Dongwoo cried, pointing at the one closest to them. Hoya nodded and ran to it, jumping in. Dongwoo quickly untied the rope holding it and Hoya pulled him in.

 

The boat splashed into the water, soaking the boys. Dongwoo picked up the oars.

 

"Y-yah! What are you doing?" a voice cried from the other side of the boat, shocking the both of them. A boy sat up, yet he seemed not to be wet at all. "W-wait! We're not on the boat anymore! Where are we going? Who are you guys?"

 

Hoya looked at the boy and took him in, before recognition hit him. His eyes widened as he pointed at him. "You're the boy from before! The... Coffee choding!" he shouted.

 

"Coffee choding...? Yah! I'm not a choding!" The boy shouted. "And you're the one who broke my ipod! You're lucky I didn't break anymore!"

 

"You are so a choding! And I didn't break it, you bumped into me! I said I was sorry," Hoya cried. He pouted and crossed his arms.

 

"Didn't your umma ever tell you to treat people older than you respectfully?"

 

After the tall boy said this, Hoya turned away and covered his face. Tears started falling out as he backed up to lean against the side of the boat. "Howon-ah, it's okay. He doesn't know," Dongwoo said, softly.

 

"W-why is he crying? I just asked him a question..."

 

"We're orphans. We have no parents. I was five and he was four when they died," Dongwoo explained. Hoya heard the boy gasp and he calmed slightly.

 

"I'm sorry... I didn't know. I understand why you're upset. I shouldn't have said that... I don't have parents either." The tall boy crawled over to Hoya, forgetting his snobby self for a little while, and pulled him into a hug. He finally found someone who understood his pain.

 

Hoya, on the other hand, was completely shocked from the boy's sudden attack of skinship. "U-uh, I-i'm sorry t-too," he stuttered, staying really still. He was turning back into his shy self again.

 

"I'm Dongwoo," Dongwoo stated from his position. The other two him, giving him a weird look. "And that's Hoya. What's your name?"

 

"U-uh, Sungyeol," the tall boy answered. He then backed up to the other end of the boat, putting in his music. Hoya gave him a questioning look and then turned to Dongwoo, taking an oar from him. They started rowing together.

 

After about an hour or so, Dongwoo turned to Hoya. "Howon, are you hungry?" Dongwoo asked, breaking the silence. Hoya looked over at him and nodded. Dongwoo smiled and handed him the oar before crawling over to Sungyeol and shaking him. The older boy had fallen asleep. "Sungyeol hyung," Dongwoo breathed.

 

The tall boy opened his eyes and slapped Dongwoo's hand away. Then he took out one of his earphones, glaring at Dongwoo. "What do you want?" he growled. Dongwoo stumbled back, bumping into Hoya.

 

"S-sorry, hyung, I just wanted to see if you were hungry," Dongwoo told him, sitting up straight. Sungyeol stared at him.

 

"And where will we get this food?" he asked, crossing his arms.

 

"Uh, what do you think is in these bags? Containers of toys?" Dongwoo asked, taking off his bag. He took out the six meals and looked at Sungyeol again. "Pick one."

 

"Cold dumplings. Cold ddokkboki. Cold jjajangmyun. Really? That's gross!"

 

"Then eat the sushi. It's not going to kill you."

 

"I hate sushi. I'm not that much of a fan of fish."

 

"Ddokkboki has fish. I'm pretty sure the dumplings do too."

 

"So?"

 

"Just eat something!"

 

"But I don't like fish or cold foods."

 

"We're far from civilization! What do you think we'll eat? Fish is our only option, unless you want to die."

 

"I DON'T WANT TO DIE!" Sungyeol cried.

 

"Then eat the food!"

 

"Fine!" The boy took the cold dumplings. There was chopsticks inside the container, so he was fine. "Where are we going, anyway? We're obviously lost at sea. We've been out here for hours! We can't see the cruise boat anymore!"

 

Dongwoo sighed and turned to Hoya. Hoya put the oars down inside the boat and took the sushi Dongwoo brought him. He had the other dish of sushi. "We're going to keep going until we find land," Hoya said, opening his small container.

 

"But what if it storms? Or what if we die? OH NO! WE'RE GOING TO DIE! I WANT TO GO BACK! BRING ME BACK!!"

 

"Dude, we're lost! There's no going back! And I assure you, we're not going to die. Stop freaking out. It really drives me crazy!" Hoya snapped. "Aish. I really need to get off this boat."

 

"Calm down, Hoya," Dongwoo said, patting the boy's back. Hoya nodded and slowly ate his sushi. The oldest boy finished his food and walked over to the other two.

 

"You guys rest. I'll row," he ordered. The two looked at eachother and then backed up as the elder grabbed the oars. About ten minutes later, Hoya fell asleep on Dongwoo's shoulder.

 

"Hey, hyung~" Dongwoo called, catching Sungyeol's attention. The older boy looked behind himself at look at Dongwoo. Dongwoo sighed and stared at his lap. "So, u-um, w-would you be considered our friend now, s-since we're stuck together from now on? But if you hate us, that's okay too... Since we brought you into our own mess..."

 

"U-uh, I guess s-so," Sungyeol muttered, focusing on the sea ahead of them.

 

"Okay, good!" Dongwoo cheered, giving him a big cheesy grin. "Oh, Sungyeol hyung, we have a huge ziplock bag here. I can put the snacks into one of the empty sushi containers and put your Galaxy Note into the ziplock bag and seal it tight so it doesn't get ruined in the water."

 

"Really?!" The choding cried, loosening his grip on the oars and the younger boy. "That would be great! Thanks... Dino!"

 

"Dino?"

 

"Yes. You look like a dinosaur, so I called you Dino. That's my new name for you."

 

"Well, then your name is now Choding," Dongwoo said, taking the ziplock bag of cookies and dumping it into the empty sushi container. He then put container lid on, pressing it so that the lid was closed tight. Then he put the big device into the ziplock bag and sealed it as well as he could. After that, he put everything back in his bag.

 

"Yah! I'm not a choding!" Sungyeol cried.

 

"Whatever you say, hyung," Dongwoo answered, falling asleep next to Hoya.



 

"Hyungs! Wake up! Now!" a voice cried, pulling the two out of their slumber. Sungyeol looked at the boy with a questioning look. They had switched while the sun was setting. Now it was completely dark.

 

"What is it, Hoya?" Dongwoo asked, yawning loudly. Sungyeol looked around to see the dinosaur already sitting up. He decided to do so as well.

 

"Over there! A small light! I think that's land. I see a huge figure, like a house or something," Hoya told them, pointing into the distance.

 

"Go towards it!" Dongwoo cried. The boy rushed pass Sungyeol and took an oar out of Hoya's hand. They started rowing rapidly to their new destination.

 

As they came closer, they realized the light was a small fire. Sungyeol swore he could see little figures running around it. When they were even closer, they heard a shout. "Gyu Gyu! Myunggie took my toy!" the voice said. It sounded like a little kid. He yelled in Korean. Their language.

 

The three looked at each other just as the boat stopped moving. They had made it to the surface. Stumbling over each other, the three rushed out of the boat, falling onto soft sand. "Yah! Kim Myungsoo, give it back to him!" they heard another voice shout. The three pushed themselves up and looked at each other. They caught glimpse of a figure running their way.

 

"No! I'm the L Man! I don't-" the figure started, before noticing the three standing in front of him. He immediately stopped talking and stared at them with wide eyes. "W-who are you?"

 

"Is this alien land?" Sungyeol asked.

 

"..."