Chapter Ten

Orphan Hut

 

“Did you guys say anything to each other yet?”

           

“Huh –“ Dongwoo turned around to find Sungyeol behind him, slowly walking closer. “Oh. No, not yet.”

           

The younger boy appeared by the side of Dongwoo. “Where’s he now?”

           

“…I think he went out to do something with Myungsoo and Sungjong.”

           

“You didn’t go with him?”

           

“I was tired,” Dongwoo shrugged. “Besides, he said we could go explore together tomorrow.! You didn’t go?”

           

“I wasn’t invited,” Sungyeol laughed incredulously. “But that’s okay. Hamster hyung says I still need to apologize to Myungsoo.”

           

“…But did you actually do anything?”

           

“I think it’s just right to,” he shrugged. “Or maybe it isn’t. I don’t know, I’m just a kid.”

           

Dongwoo nodded as if his hyung had just made a scientific breakthrough. “It’s –“            

           

“You two!” A voice came shouting from behind. Both Dongwoo and Sungyeol turned around to find Sunggyu coming up behind them.

           

“Oh. Hyung,” Dongwoo perked up.

           

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you guys! Hoya said that Dongwoo was inside the house, and nobody even knew where Sungyeol was! You need to stop randomly disappearing, it’s not good for my weak heart!”

           

“Mian, hyung,” Sungyeol shrugged. “I like the outside better than the inside. That’s why I had Uncle Jonghyun build a balcony for me! Too bad it wasn’t done by the time I left…”

Dongwoo’s eyebrows raised at the word balcony. Like any kid had enough money to do that!

           

“It’s getting dark, and I don’t want either of you getting lost,” Sunggyu said, ignoring Sungyeol’s “I like it outside” excuse. “Woohyun IS getting Myungsoo, Sungjong, and Hoya. It’s getting chilly these days, so it’s not good to be out.”

           

There was a long echo of silence when nobody listened to Sunggyu, and then Sungyeol suddenly decided to ask, “Can I sleep outside?”

           

“…Did you not hear a word that I’ve said so far?”

           

“But I like it outside,” Sungyeol insisted. “The air is nice and cool. You see? Nice and cool air.”

           

“Please listen to me,” Sunggyu begged. “I don’t need you getting sick.”



 

And that’s how Sungyeol got sick.

           

It didn’t help that they were stuck in an island without any medicine at all whatsoever. No source of warmth, no hot chocolate with fluffy marshmallows (fun fact, even if you walked around the entire world three times, you couldn’t even burn off one marshmallow).

           

“I DUN LICH THIST,” Sungyeol whined, shifting uncomfortably in his bed.

           

“I told you  not to sleep outside!”

           

“It’s your fault for still letting him, yeobo,” Woohyun said into Sunggyu’s ear, his arms wrapped around the elder’s waist.

           

“You’re not helping, Woohyun.”

           

Rolling his eyes, Woohyun let go of Sunggyu and said, “Then what are we supposed to do with him? He’s literally going to die.”

           

“BUT  I DUN WANNA DIEEE.”

           

“See? The poor boy doesn’t even want to die.”

           

Hoya rolled his eyes, tapping on the right of Woohyun’s thigh. “Hyung, hyung, hyung. Just leave him alone. He’ll be fine.”

           

“You’ll be fine?” Woohyun asked, turning over to look at the boy who had been previously screaming a while ago.

           

Sungyeol nodded, and so Hoya asked, “Can I got outside and collect pretty rocks with Dongwoo hyung? He says he saw some good ones earlier this morning?”

           

“Sure, sure,” Sunggyu shrugged. “Just make sure not to get lost and remember, do not get sick.”

           

Hoya just nodded, not sure how to reply to the last statement. Without another look back, he ran outside to find Dongwoo.

           

“Hey – where’s Myungsoo and Sungjong?” Sunggyu asked slowly as he walked over to where Woohyun was standing.

           

“Didn’t I tell you? They went for one of those exercise walks of theirs. You know, the ones where they wave their arms up and down and pretend that they’re octopuses?”

           

Sunggyu’s eyebrows pushed up slowly as he watched his boyfriend wave his arms up and down in a very eerie fashion. “Yeah. Well, they’re wearing warm clothes, right? Because I don’t think anybody wants to end up like Sungyeol here.”


 

              

“Look, hyung~ I’m a ballerina!” Sungjong giggled as he twirled on the toes of his feet.

           

“No, Woohyun hyung said that ballerinas were girls,” Myungsoo scoffed. “You can’t be a ballerina.”

           

“But GyuGyu hyung said they can be boys, too! I wanna be a pretty ballerina!”

           

Myungsoo could only slightly smile, patting the top of Sungjong’s head. “Yeah. Maybe when we get out of this place.”



 

And another forty miles away, a little voice could be heard trembling, “Dongwoo hyung? I…I think we’re lost.”