Chapter One

Orphan Hut

 

“Gyu~ I'm hungry!” a little 7 year old boy cried from the back of the small hut. Sunggyu sighed and set down his small feather full of ink. The 17 year old boy boy picked up his candle and walked into the other room. He found his little brother pouting in the corner, hugging a small leaf doll their friends made him to himself. “Gyu Gyu, what are we going to eat? I'm so hungry!”

 

“I don't know, Sungjongie. Woohyun's down in the deeper seas catching some fishies,” Sunggyu said, ruffling the little boy's hair. He was referring to the other teenage boy who also inhabited this small, deserted island. Nam Woohyun is 16 years, and he also has a little brother, Kim Myungsoo, who is 8.

 

“But what if Woohyunnie doesn't catch anything like yesterday? Or what if he only catches enough for him and Myunggie?”

 

“Don't worry, Jongie. Myungsoo and Woohyun will share with us. I would share with them, too, no matter how much I had.”

 

“Why are they so nice to us?”

 

“Because we're their only neighbors. Also, all of us don't have any parents. So we're sticking together. Remember our saying? 'Kim Sunggyu, Nam Woohyun, Kim Myungsoo and Lee Sungjong, hwaiting! Forever and always!'” After the small boy nodded, Sunggyu smiled and ran his finger along his brother's face.

 

“Where is mommy and daddy?” the little boy cried, tightening his grip on the small toy. Tears started flowing down the boy's cheeks and Sunggyu pulled him into a tight hug, wiping away his fallen tears.

 

“Jongie~ Mommy and daddy are gone,” he said, softly. He felt tears starting to fall from his own eyes, as he hugged the small boy tighter to himself.

 

“When will they come back?” Sungjong asked, burying his face in the elder's shoulder.

 

Sunggyu was quiet for a long time as he let his emotions run wild. Shaking his head slightly, he pulled the boy back and looked into his eyes. “Jongie... They're not coming back. They were lost at sea in a big storm in the really deep waters with Woohyunnie's parents. They couldn't row back in time,” Sunggyu told him, trying to hold in his tears.

 

“But it's okay, right? They're with the big fishies that will keep them safe, cause now they're big fishies, too!” Sungjong cried. The elder laughed and shook his head.

 

“Who told you that?” he asked him as the boy jumped up.

 

“Myunggie!” Sunggyu smiled and leaned against the wall, watching as the boy played with his wood figures Woohyun gave him.

 

“Sunggyu, we're back!” a voice cried out through the small hut. Sunggyu jumped up and grabbed his candle, walking into the front room. Woohyun and Myungsoo stood there with a small bucket of fish. “We were able to catch four.”

 

“Perfect! That's enough for a week or so. Do you want soup tonight?”

 

“With carrots?” Myungsoo cried as he and Woohyun placed the bucket on the ground. Sunggyu smiled and crouched down next to him.

 

“Of course. And turnups. You and Jongie should go outback, and pick some from the garden,” Sunggyu told him, ruffling his hair.

 

“Yay! I like carrots! We never have them!” Myungsoo cried. He then ran into the other room to find Sungjong. “SUNGJONG! LET'S GO PICK CARROTS AND TURNUP HEADS!”

 

“Okay~” came the answer of the other boy. Woohyun and Sunggyu listened as the two rushed out of the house, talking and laughing together. The two older boys laughed, turning towards each other. Sunggyu smiled and looked at the bucket, picking out a fish.

 

“Can you go get some water from the well? I'll start cutting up this,” Sunggyu asked. Woohyun smiled and nodded, walking into the room to grab a new bucket. Sunggyu grabbed a knife his father made and a few plates. Sitting down on the floor, he started chopping up the fish, carefully. He put the head on a different plate as he diced the rest of the body into small pieces. Once he was finished, Woohyun came back with the water, which they poured into a small pot.

 

“Here, I grabbed some herbs for the seasoning,” Woohyun told him, handing him a small pile of leaves. Sunggyu smiled and tore them up, sprinkling them into the water. Then, they brought the water back outside, and Woohyun started the fire with a few rocks in their fire. There was a pile of rocks that made the fire hole. They placed the pot on the smallholder they had sculpted with rocks. Then Sunggyu went back inside and grabbed the fish, dumping it into the water once he came back..

 

Soon enough,the two little boys came running back with the carrots and turnups, handing them to Sunggyu. Sunggyu smiled gratefully and diced them up, tipping them into the pot. Then, they all then sat down and watched as the soup boiled in front of them. “Let's eat a lot tonight. It's been awhile since we've had a decent meal,” Sunggyu stated. Everyone nodded in agreement.

 

“Sunggyu, did you make grape juice?” Myungsoo asked, turning to Sunggyu with wide eyes. Sunggyu smiled and nodded. “Good, Jongie wasn't lying then. Sometimes he says that you did, but it turns out that you didn't.”

 

“Yes, Myunggie, I made grape juice. We had a lot of grapes in the vine, so I was able to pick some for us.”

 

“Why are we having a nice meal now? We never have nice meals!”

 

“Don't complain, Myungsoo. You should be grateful that Sunggyu is doing this for us,” Woohyun scolded, turning on his little brother. Myungsoo stopped talking and crossed his arms, turning back to the fire. Woohyun sighed and laid down, resting his head on Sunggyu's lap. Sunggyu immediately started playing with Woohyun's hair.

 

“Thanks for doing all of this, Gyu Gyu. It means a lot,” Woohyun told him, looking into the older boy's eyes. Sunggyu smiled and nodded.

 

“You're the one who caught the fish. I should be thanking you. You know how horrible I am fishing,” Sunggyu replied. Woohyun laughed and nodded his head, looking up at the darkening sky.

 

“You know, life is pretty scary,” Woohyun said, grasping onto Sunggyu's hand. Sunggyu nodded in agreement, as Woohyun brought both of Sunggyu's hands to rest on his stomach with his own.

 

“It is,” Sunggyu answered, looking down at Woohyun's face. “It's hard fending for yourself. I wish we lived in the city where there's lights and all the amazing sights. It's pretty tough living here with no money and no parents. We're living off of what our parents brought with them from Seoul.”

 

“And whatever we manage to buy when we get money,” Woohyun added.

 

“Which is absolutely impossible to come by, considering we're so far away from civilization.” Woohyun nodded and continued his gaze on the sky. The two little boys had conjured up a conversation about who knows what, as they played a small hand game they came up with. Woohyun and Sunggyu did not understand their rules or reasoning on that game, nor did they care to find out.

 

“Why did our parents pick to live here in the first place?” Woohyun asked, finally focusing his attention on Sunggyu, staring straight into his small watery orbs.

 

“I don't know. But after their deaths, they left us here with nothing. I mean, there is that teeny amount of money they left hidden in the back, which I still can't find.”

 

“We'll search for it tomorrow, maybe. It could help with everything by a lot.” Sunggyu nodded as he started playing with Woohyun's fingers. After everything was quiet for a while, the two younger boys ran up and jumped on them.

 

“Woohyunnie and Gyu Gyu sitting in a tree~” Myungsoo sang, pinching Woohyun's cheeks.

 

“K... S N G!” Sungjong shouted, bouncing on Sunggyu's legs. “Love love love!” Woohyun frowned and sat up, glaring at the two younger boys. Then he turned and made eye contact with Sunggyu again, and they burst out laughing.

 

“None of that, you two,” Sunggyu told them, ruffling their hair, like always.

 

“But you two LOVE each other, right?” Myungsoo cried.

 

“Who ever said that?” Woohyun asked, crossing his arms.

 

“Come on! You guys have to! Because that would be the coolest thing in the world!” Sungjong cried.

 

“Yeah! And then you can get married and we can all live in the SAME hut together,” Myungsoo added. Woohyun and Sunggyu laughed, shaking their heads.

 

“You two should say something if you want to live together. We can just move in with them, Myunggie. We don't HAVE to live in that hut,” Woohyun stated.

 

“Oh... THEN I CAN BE THE L MAN!”

 

“Why the 'L man?'” Sunggyu asked, watching the little boy.

 

“Because, it's better than being called the M man. Oh, and Jongie can be the little diva boy.”

 

“I'm not a diva,” Sungjong whined, pouting and crossing his arms. Woohyun and Sunggyu laughed once again as Sunggyu stood up, walking back into the small hut. “Where's Gyu Gyu going?”

 

“To get some bowls and spoons so we can eat,” Woohyun answered, smiling at him.

 

“AND THE GRAPE JUICE!” Myungsoo shouted, jumping up.

 

“Yes, and the grape juice.”

 

“What about the cups?” Sungjong cried, jumping up dramatically. Woohyun sighed and stood up.

 

“You two stay here. I'll go get them,” Woohyun told them, leaving them by the fire. He walked inside to find Sunggyu digging around in the room. “Need any help?” he asked, causing the latter to jump about ten feet in the air.

 

“Geez Woohyun! Did you really have to sneak up on me like that? You scared me half to death!” Sunggyu cried, hitting the younger boy's shoulder. Woohyun chuckled as he picked up four cups. Sunggyu then shoved the bucket of grape juice into his arms. “There, you have to carry that, too.”

 

“But this is a lot to carry!” Woohyun whined, pouting at him.

 

“Well, that's what you get for scaring me like that,” Sunggyu told him as he walked, out with bowls and spoons in hand. “And grab an extra cup so we can serve the soup.”

 

“Why didn't you grab that when you were in here?” Woohyun protested, grabbing ANOTHER cup. He heard Sunggyu laugh ahead of him, and Woohyun groaned in annoyance. Once he had everything, he went back outside to find the two younger boys playing tag in the water. Sunggyu was yelling at them, telling them to get out. “DINNER!” Woohyun shouted, when they weren't paying any attention to Sunggyu.

 

The two looked up happily and ran back to the campfire. Sunggyu frowned and crossed his arms, stomping over to Woohyun. “That's not fair. They'll only listen to you,” he muttered.

 

“Oh, come on, Gyu Gee Gee, you just have to mention food. It's the easiest way to get their attention,” Woohyun told him. Sunggyu still pouted, so Woohyun set down his load and threw his arms around the elder's neck. “Cheer up! Come on, you know you can't be mad when you're around me.”

 

“Ew, you're too greasy, go away!” Sunggyu complained, pushing his arms away. They both burst out laughing as Woohyun let go, and Sunggyu turned to dish out the food.

 

“What does greasy mean?” Sungjong asked, staring up at Woohyun with wide eyes

 

“It means he's slimy,” Myungsoo stated, snickering into his hand.

 

“Like a frog?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I didn't know Woohyun was a froggie! AWESOME!” Sunggyu and Woohyun burst out laughing at the boy's reaction, shaking their heads.

 

“What? He is, since you said he's greasy!”

 

“Okay, Jongie,” Sunggyu dismissed, handing him his bowl of soup. “Woohyun, pour him some grape juice.”

 

“BUT I WANT SOME GRAPE JUICE!” Myungsoo shouted, crossing his arms and throwing himself on the ground.

 

“You'll get some, Myunggie. Just wait,” Woohyun told him as he poured the liquid into a cup for the youngest boy. Sungjong grinned and took the cup from him, sitting on the ground. He immediately started eating. Sunggyu dished some out for Myungsoo, who forcefully yanked it out of his hands. “Kim Myungsoo, if you want juice, you'll stop this bad attitude of yours'.”

Myungsoo nodded his head, showing he understood. Sighing, Woohyun poured him his juice and then set the bucket down. He walked over to Sunggyu and placed his arms around his waist. Sunggyu jumped back, spilling soup everywhere.

 

“HEY! DON'T DO THAT!” Sunggyu shouted, turning on Woohyun, who had hot soup dripping down his hand. Sunggyu dropped the cup and took a hold of Woohyun's hand. “Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!”

 

“No no, it's fine. It was my fault, ” Woohyun told him. Sunggyu sighed and pulled him over to the small beach. Then, he ripped off a piece of his own shirt and dipped it in the cold water. Once ready, he carefully wrapped it around Woohyun's hand. Afterwards, he hugged the younger boy to himself.

 

“Just be more careful, okay. You know how jumpy I am,” Sunggyu whispered into his ear. Woohyun smiled and nodded.

 

“Okay, I will.”

 

“Let's eat and then get these little rascals to sleep. It's getting late. Once they're asleep, we can actually be alone for once.”

 

“Right.” The two walked back over to the boys and Sunggyu dished out some soup for the both of them. The four of them sat in a tight circle, talking about their day. When they finally finished up, Woohyun put out the fire and Sunggyu went inside to find a small container. They poured the rest of the soup into it, and he put it in the small hole they had in the backyard, which was also layered with rocks, to keep the food cold. Then, Woohyun arrived with the bucket holding the remaining 3 fish and placed it next to the hole.

 

“We should put them to sleep.”

 

Sunggyu nodded and looked at Woohyun's hand. “How does it feel?” he asked. Woohyun sighed and gave Sunggyu a reassuring smile.

 

“It's fine. Really, I'm okay,” he told him. Sunggyu nodded and the two went back to the front, finding the grape juice bucket empty. They both Myungsoo, who stuck his tongue out and ran inside.

 

“I guess no more grape juice for him for a while,” Woohyun stated, shaking his head. Sunggyu nodded in agreement as they piled up all the dishes and placed them in a bucket of water they kept by Woohyun's hut. Then, they dragged Sungjong inside and laid the two down to sleep in a pile of the worn out blankets.

 

“Blankets will be the first thing we get when we find our money,” Sunggyu stated. Woohyun agreed and they kissed both of the boys' foreheads, blowing out the room's candle and walking out. They sat down in the small room where Sunggyu was writing earlier. Sunggyu laid down and Woohyun rested his head on his belly. They laid there quietly, consumed in their own thoughts. Sunggyu was the first to drift off to sleep.