FORTYSEVENTH CHAPTER

Wicked Fate by Kenzo

 

Different kinds of battles

 


“I don’t think it should be a problem Dara” Teddy informed her as soon as she let him know of her misgivings into being voted the clinic’s representative for the Queen of Fire competition “And congratulations too on the good news about you and Atty. Park. I’m sure he was really happy.”

She smiled at this “I’m really happy about it too. I actually just can’t believe its happening this fast.”

Teddy stood up to hug her “Well… after all the hard work you’ve put into this hospital. Seunghyun would agree with me in saying you deserve everything wonderful in the world. You’re like a sister to all of us and any man who makes you happy has our support.”

“Thank you… oppa” she answered uncertainly. She and Teddy didn’t often talk informally outside of the office except for their Saturday get-togethers and even then she didn’t call him oppa. It was a little disarming but it wasn’t really awkward. And the sincerity in his voice touched her so much.

They might be Ji’s cousins but they had none of his coldness.

“Maybe you should start calling me that now since you’ll be leaving us soon” he suggested when they separated.

“Who’s leaving soon?” a voice that made her heart do somersaults broke into their conversation and she didn’t turn for fear of looking like an utter fool.

“Dara just submitted to me her resignation letter” Teddy looked towards the door of his office where she was sure the “Devil” was standing.

She heard him step closer and a hand on her shoulder had her turning towards him as he asked “You’re leaving???”

He was clean-shaven, smelling of that perfume she had come to know so well and looking every inch the man of her dreams that she had to step back a little just to get a hold of herself. “Ye – Yes Dr. Kwon. I believe you just heard Dr. Park say so.”

Nothing in his face could give away to Dara what he could really be thinking. Was he unfazed? Did he care? Was he going to stop her?

She mentally slapped herself for even thinking about what he was feeling and for hoping he would say anything that would refrain her from leaving. She had said goodbye to him, hadn’t she?

There was nothing more into this conversation but his mere curiosity, she told herself. “He’s merely curious” she put up like a mantra on replay.

“Can’t handle us anymore Nurse Park?” he jested.

“You wish Dr. Kwon” she answered, feeling life run into her veins at the reminder of how they used to be and hating herself for it.

One of the nurses popped up Teddy’s office “Dr. Park, you’re needed at Mr. Gok’s room.”

The older man nodded and pocketed his stethoscope that was on the table “Before I go, is there anything you need Ji?”

“We can talk about it later hyung. Go to Mr. Gok first” Ji replied.

“I’ll get back to you in awhile” Teddy told him and left them.She began to step away too but was surprised when Ji reached out for her hand.

“Why are you leaving?” he asked her.

She looked down and followed his eyes that were looking at her ring finger. She took her hand from him.“You’re engaged to the lawyer?”

“Yes” she confirmed “And his name is Jay. I’ve introduced you to him haven’t I Dr. Kwon?”

“You’re engaged to him already and I will respect that” Ji replied – the very first indication of an acknowledgement of what had come to pass between them “Why do you need to leave?”

“We’re moving to New York” she answered – a little perplexed by his actions.

“I know he needs to move to New York but you don’t” Ji told her.

Her brows furrowed in confusion “I can’t understand you.”

“What’s so hard to understand about my not wanting you to leave?” His voice was bordering on a higher note now.

“But why? Why don’t you want me to leave?” Dara pushed. If he was going out of his way then so was she.

She didn’t want to think too much about what could be going on in his head - or heart for that matter - because she’d been hurt by him before. He just might be confused and knowing him… he gets over it. Too easily even.

He breathed deeply (as though taking in strength from somewhere) and pulled her towards him. Dara felt herself slip into oblivion as she was crushed between his arms and his broad chest. “Isn’t it enough that I don’t want you to go?”

His heart was thundering against her ears and she knew that very soon her legs wouldn’t be able to support her from buckling. It was only two or three weeks but it felt like it had been forever since she had been in his arms.

“Don’t go” he told her again – loosening his grip a little, letting her bring up her hands to his chest.

Jay’s ring sparkled on her ring finger and in that second, she was reminded of why she HAD to leave. She stepped away from Ji – her eyes hardening. ”You told me to go to Prince Charming Ji… and I’m doing that now.”

He shook his head at this and was about to say something else but Dara hushed him. She knew that no matter how much he tried, he wasn’t going to say to her the thing she needed to hear the most.

“You really shouldn’t-“

She put her hand up. “Stop this Ji. You’re just feeling confused and you might really care for me but you have to stop this… Please don’t talk to me anymore.”

“Dara..” Ji pleaded.

And as much as it would have been such bliss to stay in this moment right now, she knew that one day she was going to get herself slapped with the painful truth. She rather it was now than sink deeper into the hole of her fantasies and find it difficult to move on afterwards. “Just being with you like this already tears the heart right out of me. That’s not your fault because I was the one who was stupid enough to expect things from you… and I think we’re just both caught up by seeing one another again after so long and the news that I’m leaving. You asked me to walk away and go to Prince Charming right? That was hard already but I still did it. Now… don’t make it so much more harder. I don’t need your kindness.”

He was going to say something more but she turned her back and walked away. Couldn’t he just stay as the Devil? And why did he even have to hug her?

She was surprised to bump into another pair of arms and she looked up to see a smiling Jay.

“There you are!” he exclaimed and dropped a kiss on her forehead “It’s lunch time. I brought you food.”

“Atty. Park!” Ji’s voice broke in to the beginning of their conversation and she steeled herself from giving away any reaction.

“Dr. Kwon” Jay greeted back and shook hands with the man as she looked on warily.

“Congratulations on your engagement. I heard the news” Ji told the man – no hint in his voice whatsoever of any of the emotions he had felt during their discussion a while ago. His eyes empty of any emotions as well.

“Thank you” Jay replied.

“So… since Nurse Park is our Queen of Fire. Will you be joining the Battle Royale?”

Dara felt go dry at this.Jay nodded. “I’ve asked and it seems I might be able to.”

“It seems we will be competing then” Ji replied.

“Really?”

“Yes” Ji confirmed “And it could be a fierce battle because every single man in this clinic will be fighting it out. It’s a sort of folklore that the winner of the Battle Royale has a wish granted by the deities that guard the island.”

Dara knew of the folklore and knew that despite its mythical precept, what Ji said was true. After Seunghyun and Seungri winning the event in the past and being married off to the women they loved (Seunghyun probably the one whose story was more magical as Bom was already set to be married off to another man a week right after the festival then eventually ended up marrying him)… it wouldn’t be surprising for the battle to be taken in such seriousness now.

But for Ji to seem like he was interested in it… what was going through his mind?!?

“I’ll see you on the battle field then” Jay told him.

“Looking forward to it” the good Doctor replied cheekily before walking away.

“What are you doing???” Dara wondered inside her.