FORTYFOURTH CHAPTER

Wicked Fate by Kenzo

 

When the stars align

 


Teddy knew something was up as soon as he saw Ji walk towards his clinic with a furrowed brow.

Their discussion yesterday had not gone according to plan but he was sure that somehow, all the words they had told him, sank in and the young man was considering them.

Seunghyun had him in charge for the week as the Choi household was in an uproar with the arrival of his newest nephew. He was sure both Bom and Seunghyun were happy as larks and tired as slaves – it was a situation he had been in before.

He was only waiting now for Seungri and Chaerin to be on their way and with the rate those two are going, he was sure it was going to be some time soon too.

That would leave Young Bae, Daesung, and the great Dragon Heart, Jiyong as the men in their clan who needed to start families of their own already.

They were all not getting any younger and with the kind of work they had, going home to someone was the best thing that could happen to them.

“You’re deep in thought Dr. Park” Minji, their trusty receptionist cut in his thoughts.

“I am” he admitted but didn’t explain any further. He looked behind her. “Do you have a patient for me?”

She shook her head “Actually, I came to bring you the voting box Doctor.”

“Voting box?”

“For the Clinic’s Queen of Fire for the Fire Festival!” the young lady answered cheerfully.

“Ow yes” he uttered. In celebration of an age-old tradition of removing harmful insects and old grass in the villages every winter, the island celebrates the Fire Festival which commences every fifteenth day of the first lunar month of each year.

Local establishments and groups conduct an annual competition as well for the Jeju resident who shall become the Queen of Fire.

Six months before the actual festival takes place, competitions are already held so as to ensure that the Festival shall have a beautiful muse.

The clinic had already set a record for winning two times in a row. Bom had won two years ago and was followed by Chaerin the year after. Pressure was on as everyone in the clinic was gunning for a third win.

The stakes were high as the winning establishment for this year will get to be visited by a Hallyu star. Rumor had it that it was either of the four biggest solo artists – Boa, Rain, Lee Hyori, or Se7en. And Teddy was willing to bet that his whole “working family” would kill for that chance.

Whoever was going to win the representation for the “Queen of Fire” had big shoes to fill.

“Is the Head Nurse already in?” he asked Minji just as Young Bae came out of his clinic and headed towards him.

“She called this morning Doctor –“ Minji began but was cut off by Young Bae.

“She advised that she will not be coming in today” he told Teddy.

“Is she sick?”

“No, hyung” the other man answered “She’ll be spending some ‘quality’ time with the good attorney.”

He nodded at that piece of information as Ji’s face when he came in awhile ago suddenly popped up his head. Was that the reason why he was looking as sober as a prisoner in death row? But how could the man know of Dara’s schedule?

“Maybe you should just help me with counting these then” he told Young Bae “I think I have to announce today who wins as our representative for the Queen of Fire contest.”

“I voted for you” Young Bae told Minji, a grin as wide as an airport runway painting his face.

“And I bet she appreciates it” Teddy responded as the young lady blushed “Now, come on.”

He almost dragged Young Bae to his own clinic because the man kept on smiling like a lunatic at the receptionist.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he asked as soon as he closed off the door from his clinic.

“She’s getting prettier everyday, don’t you think?” Young Bae answered cheekily.

“And you are so going to be dead with Daesung” he replied.

“He only began to notice her when I told him she’s been looking more beautiful everyday.”

He rolled his eyes. “If I hear you and Daesing butting heads over Minji, I’ll have Mai’s cousin, Taemin go on a blind date with her and make sure Dara both put you on night shift.”

Young Bae looked shocked. “That’s harsh hyung.”

“Seunghyun would agree with me” he answered “We have to work on ensuring less broken hearts in this office.”

The other doctor sighed at this “Well… if ever anything happens to me like the tragedy going on with “Dr. Romeo and Head Nurse Juliet”, I’ll agree to you guys taking the most extreme measures.”

Teddy laughed aloud as he had begun to note down the first five votes. “Read them to me” he ordered.

About 15 minutes later, he and Young Bae looked at the tally sheet with an ironic smile.

“Well, what do you know…” he uttered.

“We have to begin preparations for the “Battle of the Kings” then” Young Bae announced “two years ago, Seunghyun had won that. And then Seungri bagged it last year. If you’re thinking what I’m thinking… this is going to be very interesting.”