Twenty-first Chapter

Wicked Fate by Kenzo

 

Even the polar caps melt




Ji walked towards Minji and smiled sardonically, showing a form to her “I need to get a patient into MRI and I’ve been told that I need the Head Nurse’s signature for this… why doesn’t this have her signature?”


The young girl immediately took the form and looked at her drawers. “It’s just protocol Doctor” she muttered and opened a few more before realizing that she had run out of forms. “Oh no! I don’t have any forms that has Ms. Dara’s signature. I’ll go to her and hopefully she has not napped yet.”


“Napped?”


“Ow… uhmmm…” worry creased Minji’s brows “She called me about 15 minutes ago to say she wasn’t feeling good. I’m just concerned because Ms. Dara’s never called in like that and I think she might be going down with the flu.”


“Did you bring her something to drink?”


“She didn’t really ask for anything… just to let her nap for an hour.”


“Let her rest then. Did she leave anyone in charge who could sign for her?”


“Oh yeah!” Minji brightened “Lee can sign for her. You can leave this with me Doc and I’ll give it personally to MRI.”


“Good” Ji answered “I’ll just go get coffee. I think my next schedule is in twenty minutes right?”


“Yes Doctor. I’m sorry about the form.”


Ji shook his head as if to dismiss the glitch and walked upstairs towards the Doctor’s lounge. He knew he was going to pass Dara’s room and he halted as if he could talk to the door to ask how the woman inside was doing.In all honesty, he had tried hard not to see her for the whole week. He came in earlier than she did and kept to his rooms unless any of his cousins came down to see him. The number of patients that have been lining up for him was the perfect excuse and he welcomed it.


However, not seeing her didn’t mean that she was out of his mind.


It was out of character for him to think this much of a woman and he kept telling himself that he’s only feeling this way because Dara was someone out of his reach… maybe it was just frustration… hell! He didn’t know anymore.


But he was sure now that he was worried about her going down with the flu. It was a nasty virus, this one that was going around and he wouldn’t be surprised if it took down Dara.Unthinking, he softly opened the door and was not surprised to find it unlocked from inside.


Seeing the drawn curtains over the clinic bed, he softly walked towards it just to check on her. And as he expected, she lay on the bed and had put down her cap beside her.


Her color was indeed a little off and he thought that he’d ask Seunghyun to have a look at her for he surely cannot. He looked around for a glass and silently filled it with water so she can drink up once she wakes. He left it beside her bed where she’d immediately see it and controlled himself from touching her coz she might wake up.

 

 

She looked so tired and he felt something punch him in the gut “Could she be thinking of him too?”


He noticed that she had not searched him out too and unlike the previous weeks wherein the both of them were hitting each other with fire because she always caught him idling and she just had to go to his office to deliver a few words, this week had been pretty silent on the war front (as Young Bae had called it).


He missed seeing her though and being in this room now was not doing anything to ease that.


“I don’t even know what I’m doing here worrying about you” he muttered to himself and decided after taking one long look that he should leave her alone.


Closing off the door, he saw Daesung coming towards him. “Oh great!” his cousin exclaimed “Is Head Nurse park still talking to anybody now? This MRI form needs her signature and –“


“She’s napping” Ji cut in “I don’t think she’s feeling too good. You can have Lee sign that instead.”


Daesung’s brows furrowed in concern “Is she going down with the flu too?”


“Let’s hope not” he answered “Maybe I should lock this door so that no one disturbs her.”


“Put out a sign and lock it. I wouldn’t want Dara missing out on this week when I feel like this flu is going to cause riot amongst a lot of the locals and tourist.”


Ji locked it and walked towards the Doctor’s lounge with Dae who was now making a phone call to Lee.


“Be ok Angel” he thought and had to shake his head at how hopeless he was slowly becoming.