Until You Return - A Band or A Group?

Until You Return

“Where I am now?” ask me. There is nobody here, only a bed where I am lying, a fluffy pillow under my head and a blanket that wrapped me. “Shin Woo is Shin Young’s younger sister; does Won Bin know about it? I hope no. Surely he would be sad when he knows.” I think alone. I heard people stepping outside this room; they must be my hyung and Shin Woo. I have overheard their conversation, “Mmm… Won Bin hyung, what the doctor says?” she asks curiously. “Nothing. He just has a bit stressed lately.” He answers.

           

            “Ouch! My head is hurt.” Abruptly, I say. “Thank goodness you have been awake.” Shin Woo says gratefully. “Where I am now?” I ask Won Bin even though I already know where I am. “You are in the ward now, Hong Ki.” He says gently. “What? What happens to me earlier?” I ask again. “You’re fainted.” Shin Woo says, explaining. “Would you like to eat now? What you like to eat? I can buy it for you.” asks her. “I want tuna sandwich now.” I say, simple. “Alright, I go now!” she says happily. “Shin Woo you stay here accompany Hong Ki, let me go alright.” Won Bin says, sporting. “Okay”

 

            “Hong Ki, can I ask something to you now?” Shin Woo says. “Sure!” reply me. “What thing is impossible?” she asks. “Should I tell her now?” I wonder to myself. “No, no, no I can’t tell her now.” “Oh nothing is impossible. Everything is impossible in this world. Ha ha ha.” I force myself to laugh.

“Tok! Tok! Tok!” Someone knocks the door. “Hi, Hong Ki! What happens ha friend?” Min Hwan comes with A3 and Seung Hyun. Since five of us are best friend now Seung Hyun will follow us wherever we go. “Take this.” Jong Hoon says while passes me a baskets of fruits. “Thank you.” I thank them. “Hi, Shin Woo! How are you?” Jae Jin asks her later. “Hey! Don’t ask her. Hong Ki will be angry to you.” Seung Hyun teases me. “I’m fine.” Shin Woo says and then bow down.

 

            “Why Shin Woo come first before us? Is there anything between two of you?” Jae Jin says and then winking at me. Actually, they don’t know that Shin Woo stay at my house for these two months because she runs from her own house. “She is my neighbor now so she will know sooner than you all.” I explain it to them. “Oh like that…” Seung Hyun interrupts.

 

 Won Bin is entering this room, “Hi guys! You are here now.” He greets them and then gives me the tuna sandwich. Min Hwan grabs the sandwich from my hand and says “Always tuna!!!” “It’s better than you – Always chicken, wherever and whenever.” I say then I loll my tongue to him. The others just laugh to us.

 

“Will you come to school tomorrow? I want ask you a math question, it is hard for me.” Seung Hyun says. “I hope I can but I don’t know when I will discharge.” I say cheerless. “Tok! Tok! Tok!” a fair skinned nurse come in. “The visitors please go out for a while because Dr. Hwang wants make a checkup to this patient. “Okay.” They say.

 

They go out and a tall person comes in with his white uniform and a stethoscope hang on his slender and tapering neck. “This must be Dr. Hwang” I think alone. “Hi! Hong Ki. How do you feel now? Is it better than before?” “Yes, it is better now.” After finishing the checkup, he says “You’ll be discharge by this evening. You must get the full rest at home.” Then, he goes leave me alone in this ward.

 

“Yay!!! I’ll be discharge.” All of them are stunning to see my joy in front of the door. Because I feel very ashamed, I close my eyes tightly and then mount my face using the fluffy pillow beside me. 4 pm, the time I discharge. We take a cab to go back. “Uncle, can you stop at the supermarket at the front?” Won Bin asks. “Sure.” The driver says. “Thank you.” “What you want to buy there?” I ask him. “Just a packet of zucchini and some ginseng.” “Wah, ginseng!” I say, delighted.

 

            “Your brother knows how to cook?” asks her “Yes” answer me, artless. “What will he do with the ginseng?” she asks again. “Oh… He will definitely make ginseng soup. While my late mother was here, she taught us to cook ginseng soup. She only will cook when we got fever. Sometime, I will pretend to be sick because I want to eat it. It is very delicious. Now, it just a memory; the memory that will never come back.” I express it.

 

            “Oh like that. I understand now. Do you know, I like zucchini very much? I can finish two or three zucchinis at a time.” She tells me. “Wow! Great. I can do it too. I hope my hyung will buy a big packet not a small packet. If he buys a small packet, it wouldn’t enough for us.” I smile. Soon, my brother enters the cab again. Our dishes tonight are ginseng soup and zucchini. It is very delicious.

 

            Like usually we begin our schooling day with breakfast at home and then walk to the school by the railway but now the different is Shin Woo stay at her house – next door to mine.

 

Two week after that…..

 

            When I am sitting alone in the class waiting for Shin Woo who promises me a tuna sandwich, Min Hwan is gasping run towards me, “Hah, Hong Ki!” “What happen? Please be calm.” I say. “There is a notice on the noticeboard.” Min Hwan says unclearly. “What notice friend? Look like very important.” I ask him. “Jong Hoon enters the class and says “There is a play in our school by this winter time – maybe like a musical theatre.” “So, there is an audition to make a theme song of the drama.” Suddenly Jae Jin appears with Seung Hyun. Seung Hyun says “But the notice asks us to form a group or a band. What do you think? Should we take part?”

 

            “Should? What do you mean? The notice asks all the boys in our batch to do so.” Jong Hoon says like our teacher. “Sorry, I don’t read it until the end of the paragraphs.” “Okay, shut up!” I say to stop them from their never-ending talk. “Now we should form a group or a band?” I ask them. “Group!” Seung Hyun shouts. “No! A band.” The others say like that including me. “I don’t know how to dance.” Jae Jin says, barefaced.

 

            “What is the genre of the song?” I ask them again. “Oh, I don’t know” Min Hwan says. “R&B” Suddenly Shin Woo says and then sits beside me. “What is R&B?” Seung Hyun says. “Ish! Everything you don’t know. Where do you live before ha?” Min Hwan says, jeering. “Hmm… R&B is rock and ballad.” I say straightly.

 

            “Where is my tuna sandwich, Shin Woo?” I ask. “Sorry, the sandwich has finish before I go to the canteen.” She says, apologetic. “You can share this ramyeon with me.” Says Jong Hoon, friendly. “No, thanks.” I say. “Here your tuna sandwich!” Shin Woo shows it in front my face. “Ahh… Shin Woo, you play prank on me.” “They too…” she points out her slim index finger to four of them.

 

            “Before I forgot, the theme of the play is sad romance so make the lyrics of the song as romantic as possible. Don’t tell anyone.” Shin Woo says again. “Thank you.” I say. “Where do you know it?” Jae Jin asks. “Actually, I’m the main cast of the theatre.” She says, delightful. “Congratulation!” We say.

 

            “Stand up! Good morning teacher.” I do my task everyday like that, as a monitor of the class. “Good morning.” Replies Ms. Jang with a smile. “Have you know about the audition class? I’m sure you have know it.” “Yes!!!” We say exuberantly. “There are some new rules for the audition.” She says. “What are they teacher?” asks Seung Hyun. “First, the members of a band or group must be at least five or more. Second, for the students who form a band must play their own instrument. Third, make the lyrics on your own either a person or all the members – don’t take from the Internet and the last is the winner of the audition will cast the school play as a heroes.” “Good luck. Now go and discuss with your members about your role and set the name of the group. “What will be the name of our group?” I confused.