Betrayed

Behind the Mask

Hyun Seung sat on the couch with a towel wrapped around his shoulders to keep the occasional drop of dye tainted water from ruining his shirt. His hand occasionally reached up and pulled on the, now, black strains of his hair with a frown. “I kind of grew attached to my red hair colour,” he said as he looked at Ki Kwang, “I dyed it within my first year of living in this place...”

“That right,” Ki Kwang said as he used a small rag to dry off his own hands, “When I rescued you your hair was a kind of faded shade of brown.”

“Yup,” he said as he dropped his hand, “I haven’t had black hair in about ten years, so it’s been a while...”

“Do you not like your hair black or something?”

“It’s not that...” A knock on the door made him freeze and stop talking. Ki Kwang also stopped drying off his hands, as if any movement could be heard. They both turned slowly so their eyes were facing the door, not moving or making a sound as another knock came.

He slowly stood and headed for the door with Ki Kwang a few feet behind him. Looking through the peephole the only thing he saw was Dae Sung’s worried face and he couldn’t help but to smile in relief.

Not hesitating he through the door open and had Dae Sung tackle him a pull him into a bone-crushing hug. “I told you he was okay.” Hyun Seung heard Young Bae’s voice and looked up to see Seung Ri and Young Bae just behind him.

“You guys,” he said as he was released from Dae Sung’s hug, “What are you doing here?”

“We heard about what happened at the hospital,” Seung Ri said with a shrug, “Seung Hyun’s furious that his muscle men couldn’t bring you in...”

“And he’s wondering why they were dead,” Young Bae added, “I’m guessing he still has no idea about the special training that Ji Yong put both you and Seung Ri though.” Hyun Seung gave a smile as he shrugged his shoulders.

“Your red hair is gone.” Dae Sung was the first to state the obvious and both Young Bae’s and Seung Ri’s mouth opened a bit in surprise.

“We’ll I can’t run around with that hair forever,” he shrugged, “And the red stuck out too much, so Ki Kwang helped me turn it black...”

”It suits you,” Young Bae and Dae Sung said as they pushed past Hyun Seung to go to his living room.

”I look better with black hair,” Seung Ri said with a teasing smile before following the other two. Hyun Seung made sure to close the door behind him before following them in the living room where Ki Kwang now sat with Joon on his lap.

”He‘s fitting in well,” Young Bae said as he sat down on the other couch with Seung Ri and Dae Sung both taking a spot next to him.

“Not really,” Hyun Seung said with a smile as he sat next to Ki Kwang and looked down at the cat, “He gets mad at me most of the time.”

“You gotta let him warm up to you,” Dae Sung said happily.

“That’s easy for you to say,” he said with a frown, “I think it’s determined to hate me...where’s Ji Yong?”

“Seung Hyun called him to the main office in the house,” Young Bae said with a frown, “Neither of us know why though...”

“Is he in trouble?”

“For what,” Seung Ri asked, “He never gets caught doing anything...”

“Maybe word leaked out about him helping me...?”

“If that was the case,” Dae Sung said as Joon jumped on his lap, “Wouldn’t we all have been called in?”

“Not if he didn’t tell Seung Hyun about you guys being a part of helping me,” Hyun Seung said with a frown, “He wouldn’t rat out you guys if it meant you suffering a punishment...that idiot would probably take it all on his shoulders...”

“You’re right,” they said in unison before Seung Ri continued talking, “Since we know you are okay we should head back to make sure Ji Yong isn’t taking all the responsibility on himself if something bad did happen.”

“I’m sure it wasn’t anything bad,” Dae Sung said as he stood, knocking Joon off his lap and making the cat walk away with ruffled fur to show its annoyance, “Ji Yong was more of a right hand man to Seung Hyun then any of us were. They were together before the rest of us were picked up so he’s probably trusting Ji Ji with a super secret mission.”

“Way to sound optimistic.” Ki Kwang watched as Hyun Seung followed Dae Sung, Seung Ri, and Young Bae to the door. He didn’t strand and head towards the door until he heard Hyun Seung close and click the lock on it.

Once he was near the door he leaned on the wall, watching Hyun Seung as the other’s hand lingered on the doorknob. “Are you worried,” he asked and Hyun Seung slowly looked towards him with a small frown.

“Is it that obvious?” He turned and leaned on the door so he was facing Ki Kwang, “I’m just a little worried...”

“Liar,” Ki Kwang said with a soft smile, “You’re very worried, but you shouldn’t be. Ji Yong won’t get hurt, I’m sure he wasn’t called in for anything bad.”

“But what if he does get punishment because of me,” Hyun Seung asked with a pout, “Seung Hyun isn’t a very kind person...”

“He’ll be fine...” A loud knock cut him off and Hyun Seung quickly moved away from the door. His heart jumped in his chest as he looked from the door over to the place where Ki Kwang still stood.

“Move out of sight just in case,” Hyun Seung whispered as he moved over to Ki Kwang, “I could get in trouble for having you here...this stupid complex has a curfew, so don’t come out no matter what.” Ki Kwang nodded as he moved back to hide in the bedroom.

He was about to call out who is it? as he walked back towards the door when a voice cut him off.

“Seung.” It was Ji Yong’s voice, “I know your in there, we need to talk.” He should have felt relief by the fact that it was Ji Yong knocking, especially since he didn’t expect to hear the other’s voice so soon, but the tone that he heard in the other’s voice settled uneasily in his stomach.

When he opened the door, he was greeted with the sight of Ji Yong and two rather large men standing right behind him. “What is this?” Ji Yong didn’t answer him and he kept his face expressionless before moving in and hitting a pressure point on Hyun Seung’s shoulder.

I’m sorry. He wasn’t sure if the words actually came from Ji Yong’s mouth or if it was wishful thinking.