Your side of the Bed

Crash

 

Taemin opened his sore eyes to daylight, and to voices outside in the hallway.

“Jinki, he was so scared, he couldn’t even talk properly, he was shaking. I think he’s being hurt.”

“What do you mean?”

“Remember that night when Taemin had a meltdown and trashed his room? That boy that was holding him back? His name is Key, and Taemin likes him. They went out on dates.” Taeyeon paused.

“And last night he came to my room crying so badly, and a mark on his cheek, and when I asked him if Key did it, he kept saying he deserved it and how he was bad. And he’s got bruises on his arm, I saw when he was sleeping last night. And this gigantic bruise on his back, he must have fallen or been pushed. Key must be hurting him…”

He heard Onew gasp. Taemin cocked his head. He was not being hurt by Key! Taemin wondered how Taeyeon had come to the conclusion that Key was beating him up. It seemed far fetched to him. He started thinking about what sort of lie he could tell Taeyeon.

“And I read the messages Key sends Taemin and they’re so controlling. And exactly.. exactly what I went through.”

“And I was thinking… how did Key get into Taemin’s room that night? He said Taemin was banging his head on the wall. The curtain was ripped. I don’t believe that. Taemin looked like he was struggling to get away from Key. I bet.. I bet Key was doing it..”

“No,” said Onew. “He wouldn’t. ”

“Jinki, people that do that are professional liars, telling everyone that everything is fine, when it really isn’t! Always blaming the other person, saying it’s their fault, and obviously Taemin believes it!”

Taemin could hear Taeyeon getting emotional and hearing her getting upset made him frantic. His noona was crying!  He ignored his own throbbing backside to try hear more.

“And after you left, Taemin was all over Key, saying he was sorry. This must have been going on for ages, Taemin was already being hurt by Key and I.. I didn’t even see it!”

“It’s not your fault,” Jinki murmured.

“Yes it is! You know why I moved here Jinki, to get away from that monster. I should know better than anyone how someone acts when they’re being abused. And Taemin does it all!”

Taemin was shocked. Taeyeon had moved because her ex boyfriend had abused her? He was so sorry for his noona. She was so nice and beautiful. Even if she wasn’t, she still didn’t deserve it. He wanted to hunt down whoever  had done that to her and beat him up back for making his noona sad and hurt.

“The apologizing, the never wanting Key mad, dropping everything for Key, how he has no other friends apart from Key, how Key asks me if he can take Taemin out to the mall and Taemin would tell me no and I would make him and he was probably so scared…”

He heard Taeyeon start to softly cry and he started panicking at how WRONG she was. He was scared, but how could he tell her it was because he had with a boy and Key had dominated him and he had been and then he had felt alone and used when Key fell asleep? How was he going to explain his bruises though? Everything was being taken the wrong way and he didn’t know how to stop it.

“And last night, he said that Key left without him for the bus. That’s just classic of people like him. Playing stupid mind games to try control you and make you feel less important than him, and proving to you how much you need him and not the other way around. He got those piercings to match with Key oh my god, it’s true, he did it for Key, oh my god. They sit together every day for lunch Jinki, Taemin probably feels like he can’t escape, that’s why he broke, my baby…”

“Every lunch?”

“Yes.”

“Taeyeon… I don’t know if I should say this but I had English with Taemin after lunch that day he broke the window. I sent him to the nurses office because his knees and palm were bleeding. When I asked him what had happened, he said he had been chased and fell.”

Taeyeon cried harder. “it explains everything. I was so blind.”

“Not your fault..”

“Taemin is just a child! He’s a baby and to go through the accident, and then coming here and meeting Key who hurts him, he doesn’t deserve this! I don’t want him to go through what I felt, and he probably does! He’s been crying out for help and I didn’t even see it! I’m supposed to look after him, and I know about this better than most people and I completely don’t see it! He doesn’t deserve this, I want to kill Key with my bare hands.”

Taemin heard the door click open and stared at Taeyeon with wide eyes.

“How much did you hear Minnie?” she asked, smiling softly but her eyes were red.

“All of it I think. I’m sorry noona,” he said, swallowing. “I’m sorry..”

“Don’t be sorry, you’re not the one who’s done anything wrong,” she said, sitting down next to him and his hair. “Aegi.. Minnie, it’s okay, I know now, I won’t let him hurt you ever again, I promise. You don’t need to say it, I know baby. It’s going to be okay now. I’m sorry I didn’t see this earlier.”

“No noona,” he said vehemently, shaking his head. “Key doesn’t hurt me. He doesn’t. Not in that way. He doesn’t, Key is good to me.”

“Who did that then?” she asked, gently rubbing the cheek that had the red mark on it. It had faded away now and Taeyeon grew more angry at that. They always knew where and how to hit so that no marks would show.

“He didn’t mean it,” Taemin explained. “It was just a joke. You know how Key hyung is.”

“And these?” she asked, her hands over the bruises on his arms.

“He was trying to pull me up and he’s really strong I guess,” he fibbed.

Taeyeon could hear the anxiety in Taemin’s voice, and although she recognised it as a lie, she mistakenly assumed what he was lying about. They only reaffirmed her initial beliefs.

“And your back, honey?” she asked again, smiling encouragingly.

She could practically see Taemin trying to think up a lie, and she wanted desperately for Taemin to tell her the truth, but knew she couldn’t push because he was in a fragile state of mind.

“I fell,” he said.

“How?”

“Um… um…”

“Okay baby, I understand,” she said, leaning down to hug him.

“No you don’t,” Taemin cried. “He doesn’t hurt me. He doesn’t!”

“Okay, okay,” she soothed, his hair.

Obviously she didn’t believe him. Not that Taemin could fault her, even he sounded phony to his own ears.

But he wasn’t being hurt! And the only way Key had hurt him had been well.. consensual at the time. He let Key do that to him because he loved him, so it was okay.

“Oh Taeminnie..”

He slapped his hand over his mouth as he realised he had said the last thing out loud.

“He doesn’t hurt me, I promise!”

Taeyeon sat up, rubbing his back. “I’ll let you rest for now. You must be tired. Do you want to sleep in my bed or go back to yours?”

Taemin sat up and was going to walk to his own bedroom but winced. Taeyeon immediately noticed.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m just.. going to stay here for a while if that’s okay,” he said meekly.

“Of course baby,” she said. “Want me to get something for you?”

“Orange juice?” he asked. Anything to get her out of the room.

“Okay Minnie,” she said, giving him a smile and a pat on the head before walking out.

This was his chance. When he heard her footsteps going down the stairs he shot up and limped quickly to his room, holding the small of his back to try alleviate the pain and then locking his door.

He didn’t see that Onew had been sitting outside with his back against the hallway, watching him move with a dark and concerned expression.

 

Shocked was not a word that could be described to what Taemin felt as he saw a lump on his bed and at his gasp, the lump sat up and groaned.

“Tae-ah, I’ve been waiting for you for ages,” Key grumbled.

Taemin couldn’t help a smile from spreading across his lips as he dove underneath his covers to join Key. Key did care! Key remembered him! Key had waited for him!

He snuggled up to Key like they normally did, and was relieved when Key’s arms went around him. He sighed. Key must have forgiven him.

“Hyung, I’m sorry..” he said, breathing in Key’s scent as he closed his eyes against Key’s shoulder. Key was so warm and perfect.

“It’s okay,” Key said. “I guess I forgive you. I’m sorry too.”

They lay in companionable silence.

“Where were you? I waited the whole night…”

“I slept in noona’s bed…” he said reluctantly.

“Why?” asked Key, curious.

“Well.. when I came back.. I was sort of upset and she said I could sleep with her so..” he shrugged, squashing his lips together in nervousness.

“You were sad?” Key asked, his hair.

“Sort of..”

“Were you crying?”

“A..a little bit..”

Key hugged Taemin tightly. He bet Taemin had not been crying just a little bit. His heart sunk as he realised just how crude he had seemed when he had fallen asleep straight afterwards.

“Why were you sad?” he whispered. “Did you regret it? Did I hurt you?”

“No,” said Taemin, not knowing how to describe it. “Okay a little bit. It was just… it wasn’t what I imagined. It was the first time I’ve ever apologised to someone too. You just..  fell asleep and it was over so quickly and you still hadn’t said if you had forgiven me and it hurt and I just felt…”

“Oh babe,” said Key, squeezing him. “I’m sorry I fell asleep. Sometimes I forget how you’re only 17. That was ty of me. I came here to finish what I started. The cuddling bit!” he said cheerfully because Taemin’s eyes were looking watery.

“Any you know, how I’m Catholic.. and you know, boy’s aren’t allowed to have ,” he said. “I was just upset..”

Key realised how deeply this must have affected Taemin.

“I’m sorry your first time wasn’t so romantic,” he said. “I should try sleep more when I’m here with you instead of making out so I don’t fall asleep at the most important bits, right?”

He smiled when Taemin gave a small smile, giving him a kiss for it. This time, he let Taemin control the kiss, meeting his passion until they were both panting. Clothes were slithered out of and tossed to the ground as they kept kissing, Key running his hands up Taemin’s smooth body, loving the feeling of Taemin’s silky skin against his own.

This was what Taemin liked.  This was what felt so good that it couldn’t be a sin. Kissing and pressing his body against Key’s. It felt right. He let his head tilt back as Key covered his neck in kisses, trailing down to his collarbone.

“I don’t suppose you want to go a round two after last night, and I bet you don’t have any condoms or lube lying around,” Key said, smirking, and Taemin blushed, shaking his head.

“Oh well. We can just cuddle like this,” Key said, letting his hands explore Taemin’s familiar body.

Taemin moaned quietly, sliding his hands down Key’s back and at Key’s neck. This was familiar. This was routine at every night and he loved it.

“Tae-ah, if you had stayed last night, or if I had woken my lazy up, I would have told you that you are the most beautiful boy I have ever met and that I am obsessed with you and never want to leave you. And that I felt really close to you. And that I want us to be together. You called me your boyfriend.. do you want that?”

Taemin nodded, feeling better and smiling.

“That means you can’t kiss anyone else but me,” Key said.

“Don’t bring that up,” said Taemin. “I’m so sorry hyung, but I don’t want to think that it ever happened.”

“Okay baby boy, I’m sorry too,” smirked Key as he squeezed Taemin’s and Taemin flushed and gave a little moan.

“Taeminnie, can I come in?”

Key bolted off the bed, grabbing his pants off the floor. He looked desperately at Taemin, who looked around and pushed him, gesturing to his bed.

“Get underneath,” he hissed, pushing him. “Quick!”

Key scooted underneath the bed, squashing up against the wall.

Taemin grabbed his clothes and struggled into them, flustered as the door knob began to turn, grateful he had locked it.

“Taeminnie?”

“Wait noona!” he called. Oh God, how was he going to hide his ?

He dashed to the door, unlocking it before diving into his bed again.

“I bought you orange juice and breakfast,” she said, and Taemin cursed inwardly as Onew walked in too. They sat on his bed.

“Are your bruises hurting you?” she asked. “I bought some cream.”

“No,” said Taemin. “Thank you noona.”

Taeyeon looked at Onew before looking back at Taemin. “Jinki said he saw you limping..”

Taemin didn’t know how to respond.

“This will help them heal fast Taeminnie, let me put some on you.”

He let Taeyeon gently rub some cream onto the bruises on his arms, anything to get her out quickly.

“Can you get on your stomach Taeminnie?” she cooed.

Taemin was so grateful the bruise was on his back and not on his front. Taeyeon would most definitely NOT be talking to him like a baby if she saw what he was hiding in the front of his pants.

Taeyeon gently pulled the blanket over him as she was done, noting how Taemin seemed to clutch at his blanket like he was scared.

“All over now baby,” she said. “You can rest up in here, my little peapod. It’s going to be okay now.”

Taeyeon kissed his forehead.

“It’s going to be okay now,” repeated Onew, and Taemin recognised that protective look from when he had saved him from the stranger in the city.

He ruffled Taemin’s hair before they both left.

Taemin urgently got up and locked it before Key rolled out, both of them sighing in relief.

“Bruises?” he asked inquisitively.

“I forgot to tell you. Noona and Onew hyung think you’re abusing me. I tried to tell them you aren’t, but they don’t seem to listen.”

“What?” squawked Key.

“I know. It’s because noona saw the mark on my cheek from when you slapped me last night. It’s gone now though, so it wasn’t a big deal. Plus, she found my bruises somehow. See, the ones I got when I got stuck and when I fell from your tree.”

Key gasped as he saw finger marks on Taemin’s outstretched arms and as he lifted his shirt to show him his bruise.

“, I didn’t know I was squeezing that hard,” feeling bad that he had hurt Taemin.

“I didn’t know either, but it was my fault, but they don’t believe me. I’m sorry hyung, but they don’t like you very much now.”

“So you don’t want to tell them about us?” said Key, disappointed. He didn’t want a secret relationship though.

“I didn’t say that,” Taemin looked startled. “I will. I want to keep telling them that we’re fine. It’s just that they won’t be too friendly toward you anymore.”

“Hmm,” said Key, putting on his clothes. “It means that they are protective of you, which is really sweet.”

Taemin beamed when Key said that, and Key realised just how much Taemin cared about others caring about him. He made a mental note to remember that.

“Have a nice breakfast. And I know it’s too early to say this, so I won’t. Plus, Minho said I shouldn’t even say the word about you.  But just know that I do. Everything I shouldn’t say quite just yet. But know that I like you.. beyond the word ‘like’.”

“I ‘everything I shouldn’t say’ you too hyung,” said Taemin, giving him a half smile.  “It’s just going so fast it’s like my brain can’t keep up with my heart.  I have never said that aloud to anyone, and I don’t think my brain is ready yet. But I do. I feel everything that I shouldn’t say.”

They shared a soft kiss before Key left and Taemin flopped on his bed, disturbed at how much he actually did like Key. He hadn’t been so attached to anyone before, it just felt right that they should be together.

He snuggled into his bed, still tired, sleeping on the side that Key had been sleeping on for a change so he could feel the last of Key’s body heat surrounding him.

 

 

A/N "That night I slept, on your side of the bed soo, was ready when you got home" <3 <3

Key's much needed POV next chapter.... when I start writing it...

isn't it glorious how I have written how many pages of a fanfiction and I have exams next week???? EEEEEEK!!!

So yeah, DEFINITELY no updates next week!

Hope you liked this! Tell me what you think! I hope I'm surprising you with the plot twists, sort of!

 

thank you for reading! <3