Of Schedules and Unwanted Circumstances

Blind Spot

“Hyung, we weren’t cuddling together. We were just sleeping. Honest.” Kris was trying to explain.

Jesus Christ. Now why didn’t I wake up sooner?

“But why weren’t you in your room with Luhan and Minseok, huh?” Manager’s voice was getting louder. “Why are you in Tao’s room, Kris? Is something going on between the two of you?”

“Tao was sick last night, hyung.” Kris’ voice levelled up with manager hyung’s. “He was having chills and I used my body heat to calm him down. That’s all that happened.”

Manager remained silent and looked at Kris still with droopy eyes. “Get ready for breakfast. The others are already awake.” He turned his heel and left.

Well, who wouldn’t wake up from the racket they caused?

I sat up from bed, the comforter falling off of me. The light from the doorway was still too bright for me so I couldn’t help but squint my eyes.

“Oh, good. You’re awake.” Kris turned to me, walked towards the bed and sat down. “I guess it’s safe to say that you heard everything so I won’t have to explain it to you.”

I nodded. That’s what I did. Just nod.

Kris might have noticed that I was being too laconic at the start of the day. “Don’t mind, hyung.” He reached out to shake my ruffled bed hair. “It’s not like we did anything wrong.”

He withdrew his hand, but I just stayed there; sitting with the comforter still on top of my lower extremities and my eyes barely even open.

Kris leaned closer, “Hey, are you worried? We didn’t do anything wrong, Tao.”

“I’d be lying if I told you I’m not worried, gege.” I fixed my hair and rubbed my eyes. “But so far, I’m still calm, mainly because I’m still really sleepy so realization of what just happened hasn’t sunk into my system yet.”

I got out of bed and Kris followed. Before we went out of the room, he grabbed my hand. “Tao, we can sit apart in the dining table for breakfast. It’s all right with me if you’d want that. I’d understand.”

I turned around to face him. He’s worried about me again, and he’s doing this so I won’t feel awkward or whatever, but what’s there to feel awkward about in the first place? He did reiterate that we didn’t do anything wrong. “Sit apart during breakfast? Why?”

He placed a hand on his forehead and massaged his temples. “Well, maybe because-“

“No, gege.” I shook my head while looking at him. “I’m not gonna let it happen again. I made a promise, didn’t I?” I smiled at him.

He smiled back, and that was all that I needed.

He hasn’t let go of my hand yet so held his hand tighter and gave it a little squeeze before we went outside together.

 

Breakfast was peaceful, to say the least. All the members were quiet, maybe because manager-hyung was there. Everyone heard what happened so everyone’s trying not to get on hyung’s bad side early in the morning.

“Yah, hurry up a little bit with your breakfast and we leave in 20 minutes.” Manager-hyung stood up from the table and proceeded to his room.

Everybody still kept silent until we all heard the sound of a door closing.

“So…” Luhan started, “What did you guys do last night?” His eyes moved back and forth from me to Kris; a sly smile on his lips.

“Don’t make it sound like it’s something more than what’s the truth, Luhan.” Kris answered back with a monotone while chewing on his sandwich.

“What’s the truth then? Spill so we won’t think any other thoughts.” Luhan leaned over the table, and the rest of the members did the same.

“Tao got chills so I spent the night in his room using my body heat to keep him warm. That’s all it.” Kris ended with a wave of his hands indicating that the story’s done and shouldn’t be talked about again.

Jongdae gave a smirk. “Manager-hyung sure is quick to judge.” He both looked at me and Kris like he’s observing the both of us. “But if that happened to me… If it was me who happened to catch you guys sleeping together in one bed, it might give me quite a bit of a shock, too. Especially ‘cause I heard manager-hyung said you guys were cuddling in bed.”

“Tao had chills, okay? That wasn’t cuddling. It’s called transfer of body heat.” Kris finished his sandwich and stood up. “I’m done eating and it’s best you guys hurry up finishing yours, too, or else we’ll get scolded again if we aren’t ready to leave in time.”

He stood beside me and touched his hand on my forehead. “Hey, Tao… You still have a fever.”

I am not going to stay behind and just sleep. I want to meet with the K guys ‘cause it’s been a long while since we’ve seen each other. “I’m fine.”

Kris removed his hand from my forehead. “Fine then. I know you won’t listen to me anyway. Just hurry up and get dressed.” He left for his room.

The others stood up to place their used dishes on the sink before they went to prepare as well, except Luhan. He accompanied me on the table since I was the last one to finish.

“So you talked to me on the plane… and then this happens?”

“Gege…” I flicked a piece of cereal at him. He’s smiling. He’s teasing me. “I didn’t mean for it to happen. It wasn’t on purpose.”

“Oh, I know.” But that witty deer of a person is still smiling. “I’m happy you guys made up.” Witty and thoughtful, that’s what Luhan is. He reached out to tap my hand. “Although, not in the most convenient way you’d think of, but at least you guys are talking to each other now.” I got another smile from him.

 

Sounds like a clothing line booked EXO, all twelve of us, for an endorsement deal. So I’m guessing we’ll be having a photo shoot this morning. We sat together, Kris and I, on the van ride to wherever we are going for our schedule of the day. He suddenly held my hands, “You still feel cold?”

“I’m okay, gege.”

“Well, your fingers aren’t.” he reached for his bag and pulled out cotton gloves – leopard-printed gloves, if I may add. “Here, wear them for the duration of the ride.” He put them on my hands himself. He’s treating me like I’m a little kid who can’t take care of myself, and I’m actually liking it. I’d rather have an overprotective Kris than not being able to talk with him.

He secured the last glove on my hand and even placed a beanie on top of my head. “There, that’ll keep you warm in this cold weather.” He heaved a sigh of smoke. It really is cold these days.

“Thank you, gege.” I smiled at him as I turned to face the window.

 

When we arrived at the studio, the K guys were already there being prepped up. Sehun got up from his seat to approach Luhan. Chanyeol and Joonmyeon hyung went to Kris for a quick chat. It’s always nice seeing everyone together. It seems like, every time we get the chance to regroup, there are a lot of things to talk about and catch up on.

I went to Jongin first. “Tao, how’s it going?” He grabbed arm and pulled me into a chest bump.

“I’m doing good. A little sick, but it’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“Yeah…” He looked at me from head to toe. “You’re pretty much bundled up.”

“I got chills last night. And this morning, Kris made sure I get enough heat reserve.” I looked at Kris, and he’s still chatting with Chanyeol. They’re both so hyper and loud. Can’t help but think where Bae-

“Tao!” Someone slapped me from behind.

“Hi, Baekhyun.” I turned around to greet him.

He pouted, walked around me and gave me a raise of his eyebrow. “You’re not yourself today.”

“I’m sick, so no hugs.” I sniffed to show him how sick I was.

“Well, pull yourself together.” Jongin tapped me at the shoulder. “We got a photo shoot today.”

“Yes, I’ll just be at my seat getting ready.” I nodded at the both of them.

 

The photo shoot was longer than expected, especially because they got all twelve of us. I did try to pull it together. Acting not sick in front of the camera is harder than I thought. All throughout the shoot, all I could think of was wishing that the day’s over so I could be with my pillows again. My head is getting heavier by the hour and I don’t know if I’m projecting enough for the photographer.

“Just a few more shots, Tao.” Someone place a gentle hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw it was Joonmyeon hyung, and he has that genuine smile of his. I gave him a quick nod, and after a few more clicks from the photographer, we’re done.

Everyone stood up from the set, except me. My head is pounding.

I felt someone sit beside me, “What do you want?” I heard Kris’ voice from my right.

“I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do but I want to drink coffee right now. I feel cold.”

“All right.” He stood up. “I’ll go get you one.”

I looked up and I saw Jongin with Kyungsoo at the sides. He was looking at me and giving me hand gestures asking me if I feel okay. Again, I only gave a nod.

“Tao!” Baekhyun called out. “Get off the set and come here already.”

“I feel cold. The studio lights feel warm here, and Kris gege got me coffee.” I answered back at him.

“Well, you can drink your beloved coffee here. It won’t make a difference.” He tapped a seat beside him. “Change to your warm jacket and gloves and warm up here. Studio lights won’t heal you.”

I heaved a sigh and a laugh. He’s right, though. Inch by inch, I tried getting up. I saw Yixing jogging up to me. “C’mon, let’s get you to the changing room first.” He assisted me to where my clothes are.

I changed as fast as I could. Wouldn’t want to keep Yixing gege waiting outside the changing room. No matter how much I tried telling him to go back to the set and that I can change on my own, he still insists on waiting on me. Something about being there if I suddenly fall into unconsciousness or something.

Well, I didn’t, and I managed to sit down and have my coffee.

“How are you, Tao?” Joonmyeon hyung held my shivering hands, and that smile.

“I’m feeling better, hyung. Thank you.” Although I do feel my lips shaking a bit.

“Jongdae told me something happened last night at your dorm?” Kyungsoo butted in. Everyone looked at him. We have no idea what he’s talking about. “C’mon, guys. Don’t act coy. Am I hearing a Taoris flagship sailing or what?”

Not that again. I stayed silent. My coffee is more important. I heard Kris sigh beside me, then a few soft giggles from Luhan and Yixing. But, of course, for rumors to die down, one must explain what truly happened so Kris went on with the explanation yet again.

“And obviously Tao is still sick.” He ended while adjusting my beanie. I just kept a good distance with my coffee, breathing in its perfect aroma.

“Guys, heads up. Some schedule changes.” We heard EXO-K’s manager call out from behind Chanyeol. “Tao will stay for a few days while the other M guys will depart to China first thing tomorrow morning.” He looked at me with a weird expression. “Do make sure he’s feeling all right by tomorrow.”

What? Why do I need to stay behind?

“Jongin…” the manager called, and Kai stood up from his seat. “You and Tao will have dance rehearsals with other SM Artists this week. SM is concocting some showcase and the both of you will rep EXO.”

“Yes, hyung.” We both said at the same time.

When everything was said and done, we prepared to leave for our dorms. I saw Kris approach K’s manager.

“So when will Tao fly to China, hyung?” I heard him ask.

My thoughts exactly. Something important is coming up in two days and I sure don’t want to miss it.

“Maybe by the 7th or 8th, Kris. That’s just a few days from now.” And I saw Kris’ shoulders sag. He gave a quick smile and nod before approaching me.

I stood up from my seat and met him halfway. “I heard.”

That was all I said and he immediately understood what I was feeling at that moment. He wrapped an arm over my shoulders, “It’s all right if you can’t be with us for my birthday. We can’t do anything if circumstances are against us.”

“Well, they . Your birthday’s in two days and I was so stoked for it, too.” I sniffed and we walked together towards the van.

He laughed. He always laughs at my retorts at him. “Okay then. But for now, Tao…” he stepped in front of me to stop me from walking. “What I want you to do is to get well. Can you do that for me, Tao?”

I looked at him for a few seconds. I could feel my eyes getting all watery and heavy from the cold air. I nodded slowly.

“Get well or else what I did for you last night would be for nothing. Now the whole group is teasing us.”

“I don’t mind.”

“What?” Now that caught him off guard.

“I said I don’t mind. This Taoris thing, I kinda like it.” I grabbed his hand and continued walking towards the van.

“Taoris…” I heard him whisper from behind. Then I felt him interlace his fingers with mine as he sped up to walk beside me. “Just get well, Tao. That is all I ask of you, for my birthday.”

I looked up at him and gave him a thumbs up. “I’m sorry if EXO-M would be incomplete on your special day.”

“I’ll call you on my birthday, okay?” he tightened his hold on my hand.

I smiled an unpretentious smile. “You serious with that?”

“I promise.”