Chapter 36

Daydream

 

Zelo’s P.O.V.

 

     “I wonder if you’d miss me when I’m gone. It’s come to this, release me… I’ll leave before the dawn, but for tonight, I’ll stay here with you. Yes, for tonight, I’ll lay here with you.” I sang for myself, walking the lonely road home from school. The three of us had eventually found another way out of the school – one that didn’t include all the screaming girls running wild after the handsome guys. The wind between the trees seemed to be singing with me, sending the words to each other with the wind. The biggest smile broke across my face as I realised how long time ago the car accident had been and how much things had changed since then.

     “But when the sun hits your eyes through your window, there’ll be nothing you can do~” I half mumbled half sang before entering the estate, gently pushing the door open to the house. I continued through the many hallways in the direction of my mother’s office. I have to show her the picture from the date! She will be so proud~!

     “JunHong!” I jumped from the sudden voice of the butler who came running after me. He looked as if he had seen a ghost in the hallway or something, whereas I looked at him in confusion.

     “What is it?”

     “Erh, sir… You should not interrupt your mother right now, she uhmm… She is doing some important business.” His eyes flickered around, and I knew that what he said couldn’t be completely true, but I pretended to not noticing it.

     “Sure, yeah, ok then.” I nodded in understanding and walked to the living room, waiting for the coast to be clear before I headed on back in the direction of the office. Not long before standing in front of the office, I could hear two voices: the sweet one belonging to my mother, the loud voice belonging to my sister.

     “You can’t keep up the act, mom, you have to stop it!”

     “I do not believe that I have any say in that case – and you do not have that either.”

     “He’s your son, your. little. child!” As far as I had understood, it was about me, and apparently my sister was quite unhappy about something, but I nev-

     “You did not see how much pain JunHong felt when Bang Yong Guk was not around. God knows what JunHong could do if I prohibited them to meet again.”

     … Wait what? She had forbidden him to meet up with me?

     “You… What? Didn’t you hear what I just told you?! You know exactly what that man is doing to JunHong, you know it, mother.”

     “I do not beli-“

     “He’s 15 for crying out loud!

     “16.” My sister’s voice was only getting louder, the two love birds outside my house probably far gone to avoid the echoing sound. My mother stayed somewhat calm. “I have not yet met this man, but I am sure that he is a good guy.”

     “Exactly! You haven’t met him, so you wouldn’t know!”

     “Have you walked in the exact moment of Bang Yong Guk … ‘interfering’… with JunHong?

     “… No… But I have seen him!” My sister’s voice was suddenly very low, but she still hissed at my mother.

     “So what does he look like?” Silence surrounded the estate. “… You do not know, do you?”

     “I do! He looks like-“

     “-this.” I cut off my sister, before she could say more. “This is what he looks like, mom.” From my school bag I took out the picture that we had taken on our date with the little tea cups. My mother took it with gentle hands, making sure not to smudge out the photography, whereupon she studied it very well.

     “This is one of the men from the wedding, is it not?” My mother turned the picture to my sister, who suddenly had shut up like an oyster. She then put the photography right in front of me on the desk as if she was a detective in a movie. “JunHong, please sit down.” I obeyed right away without a word, my sister bubbling from fury beside me. My mother cleared . “JunHong, honey… You do know that I am very much aware of how much you care for this man… But I will have to ask you to reconsider it. I cannot let you walk around with a man who is hurting you or only looking for some deranged sort of entertainment. I do not want him to find that in you. Do you understand?”

     “He’s really not that bad, mom. He has never done anything that harmed me.” Well except for that time when he had knocked me down… “Mom, he-“

     “- is manipulating, confusing and brainwashing him!” My sister exclaimed, but she shut right up again as my mother lifted her finger to shush her before she turned to me again.

     “JunHong. You are still very young, and at your age, it is easy to fall for the temptations that lure in the darkness. I am asking you to willingly keep a little distance from this guy. If you do not do that, I cannot help you – I will not help you, if anything happens.”

     “Mom, you can’t ask me to do that! You know that I …” I remembered my sister standing by my side and suddenly felt awkward admitting my love in front of her. “…I like him very much.” My mother sighed and looked down at her desk, fiffling nervously around with her pen.

     “I guess there is only one way to solve this, then.”

 

 

 

Bang Yong Guk’s P.O.V.

 

My stomach turned as I pulled up to the house – which was more like a huge mansion in my eyes. Sure I’d grown up in what seemed familiar to this, but this building was gigantic, glaring down at me as I got out of the car, discreetly making my way to the front door. As I knocked on the great chunk of dark, shiny wood, the hollow sound had me gulping, the whole situation turning me into a girl. I even gasped when the door was opened, the eyes of an old ahjussi suddenly staring at me, the guy not saying a word. Well, how awkward is this?

     “Uhm, hello, I–“

     “Your business here?” He cut me off, his lazy eyes resting heavily on me, and I gulped once more. He was wearing a black suit and a tie – I figured that he was the butler. A butler. Seriously?

     “I’m here to see Mrs. Choi? I was called and asked to co–“

     “Name?”

     “Huh?” I stared at the cold expression on his face, the sweat soaking me.

     “Your name, sir?” He exhaled, obviously getting a little impatient.

     “O-oh, Bang,” I stuttered, nodding my head a little. “B-bang Yong Guk?”

     He looked at me for while, considering my words with a raised an eyebrow – his broad, wrinkly forehead curling up into a huge sea of folds. Studying his scary features, I nearly flinched when he opened his mouth to speak, his deep, hoarse voice inviting me in.

     “T-thank you,” I muttered, bowing at him as I stepped in through the door, keeping my eyes glued to the floor.

     “You are expected in the office,” he told me, getting in what seemed like his usual position by the door, raising his chin and closing his eyes – the meanest, snobbiest look on his terrifying face settling in stone.

     “The office?” I blinked, raising my gaze. Just the lobby was the size of my apartment, decorated with flowers and expensive vases, all kinds of classy crap in the colors and patterns of the season. There was a hallway to my left, another hallway to my right, a large staircase in front of me, in the back of the room several doors leading to larger rooms with new hallways and doors. The office, huh?

     “Down the hall,” the butler exhaled. Which hall? “And through the door to your right, then through the living room,” he continued, his eyes still closed as he spoke. Which door? Which right? Living room? “And then–“ he opened his eyes, glancing over at my lost figure. He sighed and turned, gesturing me to follow him. “Come with me,” he said, walking down the hallway to his left. I followed him as an obedient puppy, keeping my head down and breathings quiet. Walking through the maze of the mansion, I wondered how Junhong was able to find his way around – but, on the other hand, he’d grown up in the maze, running around as the kid he practically still were, a big smile plastered unto his pretty face. And well, I still had a mental map of my own house in the back of my head as well – I even knew about the secret rooms and pathways, always winning whenever I’d played hide and seek with Himchan back in the days.

     Not noticing the grin on my face as I almost bumped into the butler, I blinked, jerked back to reality as we’d arrived at our destination. I turned to the man and bowed, watching as he snorted and left me again. “Oh gosh,” I muttered, turning towards the door to the office. “One… two…” I mumbled, closing my eyes. On three, my clenched fist carefully knocked, my blood freezing in my veins.

     “Enter,” a voice called, and I reached out for the doorknob with a shaking hand. Taking a deep breath I opened the door and rushed inside, closing the door behind me. With my eyes glued to the floor once again, I turned around and deeply bowed, hands resting on my knees.

     “I’m Bang Yong Guk, hello,” I spoke in a loud voice, closing my eyes. “Thank you for letting me enter your home, I understand you ha–“

     “Gukkie!” Junhong yelled, and I heard a few quick footsteps across the floor before a tall figure threw its arms around me, pulling me up and clung unto me. “You came,” he giggled into my ear, kissing it.

     “Y-ya, Junhong,” I muttered, gently pushing him off me as I glanced up, catching who I supposed was Junhong’s mother sitting behind a desk in the other end of the room. Even so, I felt her eyes glaring and cutting into my flesh, my hands placed on Junhong’s shoulder as I pushed him away starting to shake even more.

     She rose from her chair, straightening her skirt with her hands before clearing . “A pleasure finally meeting you, sir,” she said in a loud, stable voice. “Addressing you over the phone had been satisfying, but finally being able to shake your hand is quite thrilling,” she spoke, reaching out her hand.

     “Mom–“

     I shook my head, letting go of him. “No, it’s okay,” I said, looking at him as he blinked a few times, watching as I walked closer to the humongous desk and the scary, powerful woman behind it. Gently taking her hand I bowed my head deeply, letting her handle the actually shaking of the handshake. “Nice to meet you, Mrs. Choi,” I said, my voice rather shaky and rusty. Taking back my hand and raising my gaze, I couldn’t help but widen my eyes as I saw the smile on her lips, the face that just moments ago seemed carved in stone now lightening up in a beautiful light. I surely recognized that curvy smile, Junhong showing me it whenever he’d finished breakfast, woken up beside me in the morning or mischievously thrown a pillow at me, his laughter filling the bedroom as I would chase him around, eventually wrapping my arms around his waist and take him down. The punishment had been sweet and tasty, but also earned and wanted.

     “I can’t believe this,” I voice snorted from the corner of the room, the girl staring me down when my eyes averted in her direction. Ugh, the female dog, I complained in my head, looking away from her again – putting all my attention on Junhong’s mother.

     “You wished to talk with me?” I asked, bowing a little at her again. I kept a straight face when I felt Junhong’s arm sneak around my own, pulling and locking himself closer to me.

     Mrs. Choi nodded a little, getting back down in her chair. “How old are you, Mr. Bang?”

     “Twenty-two,” Junhong said; cutting me off even before I’d open my mouth to answer.

     She looked at Junhong for a little while but then exhaled. “Your profession?”

     Junhong opened his mouth once again, but I nudged his arm a little, nodding at his mother. “Music, ma’am.”

     “Music, huh?” She raised her eyebrows, nodding and ignored the snort coming from Junhong’s sister once again. “You’re a producer, or..?”

     “I perform,” I said, clearing my throat. “I write my own music and perform on my own,” I explained, Junhong nodding proudly beside me.

     “And this…” she hesitated a little, frowning. “Kim Himchung–“

     “Himchan, ma’am.”

     She waved her hands around. “Yes, yes, whatever,” she exhaled, glancing up at me. “He’s not a part of your… act?”

     “No, ma’am,” I responded, still trying to keep the straight, polite face. “I work on my own. Keeps me free and unobligated to follow the orders of others.”

     She frowned, looking a little thoughtful. “Family?”

     “Only child.”

     “Education?”

     “High school.”

     She looked up, a startled look on her face. “High school?” 

     I shrugged, clearing my throat once again. “I dropped out of college during second year in order to pursue my dream, ma’am,” I explained, my eyes staring at the painting hanging on the wall behind her, just above her head.

     “Music?” The sister tauntingly asked, the mother just eyeing me, awaiting my reply.

     I nodded, keeping my eyes on the smudged pink and purple colors “Music, yes.”

     “Junhong,” Mrs. Choi breathed, massaging her temples with her fingers, eyes closed.

     “Hm?” Junhong smiled, his fingers grabbing unto my sleeve.

     “Would you please wait outside?”

     “Huh?” The smile on his face slowly faded as his eyes wandered across his mother’s face. “Why, I–“

     “Please?”

     He glanced over at his sister in the corner. “What about her? Is she–“

     “She’s staying,” Mrs. Choi nodded, the corner of Junhong’s sister’s mouth curving a little in a discreet smirk.

     “What? That’s not fair! Why can she stay and I have to leave? Mom, what–“

     “Junhong,” his mother said in a loud, firm voice, shutting him up and scaring the out of me. “Please, honey?” She then pleaded, her voice smooth and angelic, messing with my head.

     Junhong looked at me, a thousand thoughts running through his mind by the look in his eyes. “Hyung,” he mumbled, tightening his grip of my sleeve.

     I put my palm against his hand, struggling a somewhat believable smile on my lips. “I’ll be fine, you can go,” I said, nodding a little as he exhaled and let go of me. With his eyes wandering back and forth between the three of us, he left the room, closing the door behind him.

     All trace of kindness was gone as I turned back to the two women, suddenly fighting for my breath. Women are indeed the scariest creatures put on Earth, that’s for sure!      

     “Bang…” Mrs. Choi exhaled, averting her eyes. “Yong Guk… Listen carefully, hm?”

     I frowned but bowed a little, keeping up the polite act. “Yes, ma’am.”

     “I’ll give you a choice,” she looked at me, lacing her fingers together. “And I advice you to choose correct.

     “A choice, ma’am?”

     “Stay away from Junhong,” she glared, watching as I flinched but still remained my polite control. “Or your friend, Young Jae…” she smirked, well aware of the soft spot she’d just hit. “Will no longer be a part of this family,” she continued, carefully studying me as I gulped.

     “So you’re asking me to choose between Junhong and Young Jae?” I said, Mrs. Choi frowning but then nodding in silence. Young Jae was married into this family – does that mean that they’ll cancel their marriage? Break them up? Sure, Young Jae will be happy, but this is what his parents want. What if they’ll disown him? It’ll kill Young Jae… He’s still just a kid. But, Junhong… Junhong… I looked at Junhong’s mother, shrugging a little. “And if I choose Junhong?” I asked, a tiny smirk possibly forcing its way on my lips – but I quickly wiped it off and held my breath.

     “Molester!” The female dog yelled from the corner, her mother raising a hand in her direction. She growled and then settled, her back once again resting against the wall.

     “You most understand that I can’t accept the… relation you have to my son,” Mrs. Choi then said, her eyes looking at everything else than me once again.

     “But, I thought…” I blinked and frowned. “You left me a message, telling me that I’ve got your permission to see him. I don’t understand where all of this is coming from, honestly, I–“

     “You don’t understand?” She raised her eyebrow, her eyes finally settling on me. “You, Bang Yong Guk,” she spit, showing disgust when speaking my name. “Can’t you see that you’re simply not worthy?”

     “Worthy?

     “I can’t just keep quiet and watch while you’re molesting my son, putting your filthy hands on him, brainwashing him into doing something he doesn’t want to!” She yelled, getting up from her chair. “I can’t let my son see some ert,” she hissed, glaring at me.

     “Stay away from my brother, you bastard! And my husband!” The female dog screamed, but I ignored her.

     “ert?” I took a step closer to his mother, frowning as the all the courtesy I had smacked unto my face, my words and behavior crumbled. “Molester? Bastard?” I hissed, watching as she started to look a little uneasy, clearing . “ it,” I spit, turning around and rushed out, suppressing all the anger swelling up in my chest.

     “Bang Yong Guk!” Both women yelled as I left the office, storming down the hall I found myself in. Amazingly, I was ripping open the front door open a few seconds latter, walking towards my car with clenched fists.

     “Hyung! Hyung, wait up!”

     Getting in the drivers seat, I quickly the engine and reaching out for the door.

     “Wait!” Junhong exclaimed, grabbing unto the door before I had the chance to close it. “Please!” He begged, and I looked up at him, watching the confused look on his face. “W-what happened, huh? Please, tell me, hyung!”

     I exhaled and looked away, running a hand down my face. “I’ll call you when I get home, okay?” I said, glancing up at him.

     He blinked, panting from running after me. “You’ll call me?”

     I nodded, putting on my seat belt. “I’ll call, I promise,” I said, discreetly exhaling in relief as he silently nodded and back away, flinching a little as I smacked the door closed, taking a deep breath. I looked at him once last time before I drove off, glaring up at the big building as I passed it.  

     “So you’re asking me to choose between Junhong and Young Jae?”

 

 

Annyeong! I haven't been home to update, but here it is! Hope you enjoyed it :3