Chapter 6

Injuries

 

Leeteuk looked up as an asleep Taeyeon was wheeled in the room by Yoomi. Yoomi bowed to him and looked down at Taeyeon confused when she didn’t offer any greetings. Leeteuk signaled she was asleep; Yoomi nodded and gestured for Leeteuk to follow her into the hall.

“She only got two hours of sleep last night, so try to take it a little easy on her today, if you can. She won’t get any better at this rate. Anyways, I should go. The girls stayed with Taeyeon last night and they made a mess trying to make her dinner for when she got back from her radio show. She hasn’t had breakfast either, so she might be weak.”

Leeteuk nodded and tip-toed back into the room. He would have to wake her up; he wasn’t a baby sitter, he was a physical therapist. He’d been a lot more lenient with her than he usually was with his patients. Having dinner with Sora last night had brought him back to the present. He couldn’t treat Taeyeon any different than he did his other patients, he couldn’t constantly be thinking of her and forgetting to call back his new girlfriend; it wasn’t fair to Sora or Taeyeon, who still felt betrayed by him.  She’d be able to sleep later. He walked around so he was facing her and bent down to wake her up.

And his resolve went down to drain. 

The mixture of her scent and her sleeping face were all too familiar to him. She was slumped forward with a small frown on her face. For a moment it was as though he was in high school again and he walked in to find Taeyeon had fallen asleep while she was studying for exams.

He stood up and shook his head of those thoughts. Yesterday had been hard on her. She’d only gotten two hours of sleep and she hadn’t had anything to eat yet. Who could get better under those conditions? As a doctor, wasn’t it his job to make sure she could heal properly? He decided not to think over his logic and instead tip-toed out of the room, turning off the lights on his way out.

“Yah, Changhee! Stand guard by my door and make sure no one goes in before I get back! And don’t make a lot of noise!” Leeteuk yelled at one of the interns as he ran by, wanting to get back quickly.

~

Taeyeon’s stomach grumbled, bringing her back into consciousness. She looked around and was surprised to find herself alone in Leeteuk’s physical therapy studio with all the lights off. 

“Is this a dream?” She said out loud, “Leeteuk? Are you here?”

A guy Taeyeon had never seen before cracked the door open and peaked in a bit, “He left in a rush and said to make sure no one disturbed you while you were in here. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, thanks. Do you know where he went?”

He shook his head, “He didn’t tell me.”

“Okay, thanks,” She nodded, signaling for him to leave. She took out her phone to call him and realized she deleted his number 5 years ago. She sighed and took out the new song book she got yesterday. She flipped to her solo song for the next concert. It was in English so Tiffany had been helping her with the pronunciations. She tapped her thigh in beat and started singing softly

I never needed you to be strong

I never needed you for pointin’ out my wrongs

I never needed pain, I never needed strength

My love for you was strong enough you should have known

I never needed you for judgment

I never needed you to question what I spent

I never needed help, I take care of myself

I don’t know why you think you got a hold on me  

And it’s a little late for conversations

There isn’t anything that you can do

And my eyes hurt, hands shiver

So look at me and listen to be, because…”

Her voice gained confidence and strength as she reached the chorus.

I don’t want to stay another minute

I don’t want you to say a single word

Hush hush, hush hush

There is no other way

I get the final say…because

I don’t want to

Do this any longer

I don’t want you

There’s nothing left to say

Hush hush, hush hush

I’ve already spoken  

Our love is broken  

Baby , hush hush”

Her head was bobbing and she looked up from the lyrics confidently only to find Leeteuk’s dumbstruck face staring back at her.

She gasped and then gave an exasperated little laugh, “Bwoh? What are you doing?”  

“Ah, sorry,” He smiled, “since you were sleeping, I went and got some snacks from the convenience store. I mean, if you're hungry….”

She reached out for the bags of snacks childishly so Leeteuk set them in her lap and wheeled her over to a table in the corner where he took a seat as well. Taeyeon dumped set the drinks from one bag out and poured the other bag’s contents onto the table. “Wahhh,” she laughed happily, “I haven’t had most of this stuff in ages!”

Leeteuk scratched the back of his head nervously, “Since I didn’t know what you like now, I just went with what you used to like.”

She nodded her head a bit awkwardly, “These are good, thanks.”

“I wasn’t sure about the drinks, though. Since you always picked a different one, I got a few. “

Taeyeon nodded, and picked up the one closest to her, “What’s this one?”

“Ah, that’s Sora’s favorite. I don’t like it, but you might.”

“Who’s Sora?”

“Ah well,” Leeteuk looked at the table top. “My girlfriend… Kang So Ra”

“Ah,” Taeyeon chocked out, surprised. “I see.”

They both sat awkwardly for a few minutes, both afraid to look at the other. Taeyeon reached out and grabbed the bottle and took a big drink. Her eyes widened and she put her hand to to stop herself from spitting it out. She saw Leeteuk’s surprised expression and shook her head vigorously. She grimaced as she chocked it down, still shaking her head, “Nope nope nope. That’s not it.”

He laughed and she handed him a Fanta, which had always been his favorite, and reached for a cola.

“So how was it, having your schedule full again?” He asked curiously, reaching for a bag of mini cookies.

She smiled, “It was-“ She made eye contact with him and sighed. “Oppa, can I be honest with you?”

“Of course,” especially if you call me ‘Oppa’.

She rested her head in her hand, “I usually share everything with my members, but it’s just-“ She ran a hand through her hair, “They  have problems too. They must hate hearing me whine about the same things.”

“Taeyeon.” Leeteuk said seriously, “You have been in a life-changing accident. Since they’re your best friends, I’m sure they don’t mind listening to you.”

Taeyeon pouted a looked down.

“But you can still whine to me, if you need a change.” Leeteuk added.

Taeyeon smiled at him beautifully, “Thank you! I feel like, everyone wants to help me and I’m really really thankful for all the people I have that care about me, but they don’t understand that I’d rather do it myself. I mean, I don’t want to be the helpless girl stumbling through, well, not literally obviously. I just want to be able to do everyday stuff for myself while I’m in this chair.”

Leeteuk nodded understandingly, so she went on, “And do you know how weird it was, going from living in a dorm with nine girl to living with just one other person? Like, at first it was nice, but now it’s mostly scary. Because it’s so silent. There’s no snoring or sleep talking or Yoona and Yuri dancing around in the middle of the night and messing with Tiffany. It’s just quiet.”

“It’s weird how you become used to those things, huh?” He laughed and Taeyeon laughed back.

“Sorry to interrupt.” An unfamiliar voice interrupted. Taeyeon turned to see a very pretty girl, a little older than her, giving Leeteuk a funny look.

Leeteuk stood up and walked over to her, “Ah, honey! What are you doing here?”

Sora just kept giving him a dirty look so he put his hands behind his back and rocked on the balls of his feet awkwardly. Taeyeon knew the look she was giving him, as she had given it to him many times herself. It meant ‘What do you think you're doing? As soon as we’re not in public you're dead.’

“Ah, sorry, Sora-sshi.” Taeyeon bowed her head. “I haven’t eaten today, so I asked Leeteuk-sshi to get me some snacks.”

“You know who I am?” She asked surprised.

Taeyeon nodded, “Of course. Leeteuk-sshi talks about you a lot.”

“Really?” She asked, looking at Leeteuk. He nodded and Taeyeon continued, “This is your favorite drink, right, unnie?”

Sora looked at it and her expression softened, “Yeah. Sorry for barging in like this. I had a short break so I just wanted to pop in.”

Taeyeon nodded eagerly, Leeteuk dumbly, as if he still didn’t really know what was going on.

“Well I guess I’ll head out. Bye Taeyeon,” The girls nodded to each other in a friendly sort of way and then Sora went to kiss Leeteuk goodbye. He swerved his face away at the last second and just went in for a hug.

Leeteuk and Sora both looked confused and when Sora was safely down the hallway Leeteuk looked to Taeyeon who was eating snacks and acting like nothing had happened. “Thanks for covering for me.”

“For you?” Taeyeon shook her head, “I did it for her. You may not realize this, but it’s hard dating a kid like you. I just don’t want her to have to worry more than she already does.”

“Yah!” Leeteuk laughed, “What are you talking about? ‘A kid like me’? I’m older than you punk!”

He reached over and ruffled her head affectionately and smiled at her as she moaned about her ruined ponytail dramatically. 

Im pretty happy with this chapter, because it's not super short and it has lots of Taeteuk~

Okay you guys, i need input! What idol should Taeyeon have a crush on? Maybe Wooyoung? Ahh I don't know help me! Comment who you want it to be below, pretty please~

Also, in real life Taeyeon is a year older than Sora, but i wanted Taeyeon to be younger, so she is, haha