Chapter 4

Injuries

 

By the time Yoona stopped over that night Taeyeon had composed herself. She felt so bad that she had made her members worry over her so much lately that she couldn’t bear to tell her. Yoomi hadn’t asked Taeyeon why she was a sniveling mess for an hour after the incident, and Taeyeon hadn’t offered any answers.

“Unnie, I forgot!” Yoona said suddenly. They hadn’t talked much because of Taeyeon mood, “My mom crocheted this afghan for you! I told her what colors to use,”

Yoona took out a beautiful purple and white afghan, which of course matched the design scheme that Yuri and Yoona had picked for her new apartment. “Ah Yoona, thank you so much! It’s so pretty~ Tell your mom I love her!”

“Mm” Yoona laughed. She turned serious, “So, how is your physical therapy going?”

“There hasn’t been any improvement yet, but I’ve only just started.”

 “Has he tried to talk to you about the past?”

“No,” she lied.

“Do you want him to?”

“No. When he broke up with me, I actually begged and begged for him to tell me why.  But now, I don’t want to hear why I wasn’t good enough to be with him. All I want is to get better so I can move back in with you guys and pretend this never happened.”

“Are the sessions still awkward?”

“Mm, I have no clue how to act around him anymore, you know?”

“How are you usually?”

“I try to ignore him, but if I can’t, I’m sarcastic and rude.”

“Ehhh, how’s he supposed to regret dumping you if you act like that? He probably really regretted it when SNSD started doing well. But now that you’ve acted like this, he probably thinks it’s for the best.”

“So?”

So, make him regret it. Be really nice. And don’t wear the sweats you usually wear. Wear your yoga shorts.”

“Isn’t that kind of…… low?”

“Isn’t dumping our girlfriend of two years without wanting to give an explanation before she becomes famous low?”

She sighed, looking torn, “I guess I wouldn’t be doing anything wrong.” Yoona shook her head, “Just maintaining my idol image.”

Yoona nodded proudly, “Of course. What would your fans think of your behavior so far?”

~

The next day, Taeyeon went to physical therapy with a whole new attitude. And outfit. Replacing her usual baggy sweatpants and sweatshirt, she had on yoga shorts and her SM Town Paris t-shirt. She had gotten Yoomi to braid her hair to the side, and she felt like an idol for the first time since the accident. She smiled to Leeteuk when Yoomi wheeled her into the room and found it came more naturally than she thought it would. Yoomi gave Leeteuk a pointed ‘no nonsense’ look before she left and Leeteuk bashfully nodded back.

“I wasn’t sure you’d come back.” Leeteuk stated conversationally as he set Taeyeon on the table.

“Of course. If I didn’t, what chance would I have at getting back to my life?”

“You’re dressed differently.” He noted, with obvious effort spent looking at the wall above her head.

“Well I was depressed after the incident but I didn’t notice until Yoona reminded me that I’m still an idol. So from now on, I’ll be more like SNSD’s Kim Taeyeon.”

“Who have you been like up ‘til now?”

“Kim Taeyeon, brat.” She laughed.

“Ah, Lee SooMan called, we’re supposed to have a meeting on your progress after this session.”

She sighed, “Ok, go easy on me.”

~

When Leeteuk wheeled Taeyeon into the SM building they had SNSD’s song My J playing on the intercom and Taeyeon perked up. The receptionist nodded them through, obviously knowing who Taeyeon was.

As they were going through a mostly empty hallway, Taeyeon knew where a bigger elevator was, Leeteuk noted the song and said, “I feel like we’re in a cf.”

Taeyeon laughed and nodded and he added, “Should I two step?” and he did, down the hallway while pushing Taeyeon, who was showing her ajumma0laugh off for everyone in this side of the building to hear.

Suddenly, SNSD’s new manager (the old one was still in a coma) came out of one the offices and gave them a weird look. They both bowed respectfully to him and he nodded back.

“I would’ve thought that SNSD’s manager was used to weirder things than that.” Leeteuk said.

Taeyeon shook her head, “He’s only been with us since the accident. Our other manager is in a coma still. The girls say they didn’t like this one, so they aren’t going to bother getting him used to us.”

Leeteuk rolled his eyes, “Women.”

Taeyeon snorted and pointed to the elevator she was telling him about. The elevator music that was played was Tiffany’s Love Rain OST ‘Because It’s You’ and Taeyeon mouthed the words absently while she sent someone a text on her phone. When they got to the office the president of SM Entertainment beamed up at them from his desk.

“Leeteuk-sshi, please take a seat.” He directed while he wheeled Taeyeon into the spot where the other chair usually was. “How have the sessions been going? Is there any improvement?”

“Well, it’s still a bit early to see any improvements,”

“Ah, I see.” He nodded, then he addressed Taeyeon, “Taeyeon-sshi, I see your back to your normal self,”

“I’m trying,” she smiled.

“Good, good. Starting tomorrow, we’ll be resuming your singing lessons and you’re going to resume your activities on Chin Chin.”

“Chincha? But-“

“No buts! You’re an idol; you're used to having a busy schedule. It’s not fair to have left Kangin with that.”

Not fair? She clenched her teeth and said, “Neh, sa jang-nim.”

For the rest of the meeting, Lee Sooman smiled at them brightly, Taeyeon was ready to murder someone but disguised it behind a neutral face, and Leeteuk didn’t act nice to him in fear of making Taeyeon angrier.

Taeyeon and Leeteuk’s walk to the elevator was tense, but as soon as the doors closed she exploded, “not fair? It’s not fair that Kangin had to DJ alone for a week, Taeyeon may never get to go to the bathroom or take a shower without help again, but God forbid Kangin actually has to do some of the paper work for another week!” her voice suddenly took a sadder tone, “No, I might not be able to walk out on stage or do a weird dance on a variety show ever again, but as long as Kangin has a co-host on Chin Chin no one can complain.”

Leeteuk tried to comfort her, “Look Taeyeon-“

“Aniyo, gwenchana. And I’m not mad at Kangin. I’m just ranting. Kangin’s great, and he offers to do my paperwork whenever I’m having a bad day. And my singing lessons are fun and I’m sure it’ll be good to get my mind on something else, but I’m just so stressed lately. He doesn’t understand how much more time and energy it takes to do stuff now, you know? Nevermind. It’s fine, I’m fine.” She sighed and ran a hand through her hair, her back straightening confidently as the elevator doors opened.  

‘She could be an actress,’ Leeteuk thought, pushing her back through the hallway where him and Taeyeon had laughed together for the first time in years. ‘I’ve never known someone to recover from a meltdown so quickly’

I got through the bridal shower and all is well. i also saw Dark Knight Rises and it was so so so so so so so good. Next chapter, we'll have Chin Chin radio ft commentary by Leeteuk and Leeteuk becomes Taeyeon's offical venting source when she doesn't want to bother her girls. Leeteuk and taeyeon are getting slightly friendlier, but its complicated. Kids these days.