Chapter 23

It All Started With a Favour....

A:N/ Yah was the last chapter so horrible you decided to boycott it, because of the lack of chunjoe or something? Where did everybody go? COME BACK!!!!! Please? I'll bring L. Joe back in this chapter! See more L. Joe you have to love me/ this story again now, right! Saranghae!

- -

Despite L. Joe's earlier claim in their MSN conversation that he wasn't going to keep ignoring him anymore, and that they were friends again, Chunji found that he seemed to be being ignored once more. It took him a little bit to notice it, because he'd been so wrapped up with the whole issue of his father's affair with L. Joe's mother. He hadn't really had the time to think about it at all until all of that settled down.

 

He'd called his mother, and sure enough they were still together. His father had apologised, and they'd sorted it all out, but he could still hear the pain in her voice as she explained it all. Apparently, they'd prefer to move on with the matter, which Chunji agreed to do. But pretending it had never happened wouldn't give him back the respect he'd lost for his father because of the whole thing.

 

It took him a while to notice that he wasn't receiving any contact from the younger boy. At first he shook it off, assuming that he must just be making a big deal about things, unnecessarily. After all, L. Joe had said that he wouldn't ignore him anymore; he said that they were friends again. So that meant that everything between them should be alright, right?

 

Trying to reassure himself that everything really was okay between the two of them, Chunji goaded himself into sending L. Joe a text to find out what was going on with the other boy. He didn't answer. He tried going on MSN but the other boy wasn't on.

 

In a fit of mild panic, Chunji contacted Niel, who assured him that he would speak to L. Joe about it. Niel came back to him, informing him that L. Joe was fine, and just wanted to give Chunji some space to deal with the affair. In outrage, Chunji had exclaimed that his parents had already decided to move on from that. Niel nodded, informing him that he'd told the other boy as much, but L. Joe had apparently said that he knew Chunji wouldn't have let go of the matter yet. He figured it would be best to remain distant until he thought Chunji had dealt with the matter entirely, and was ready to put it behind him.

 

Chunji couldn't exactly say that he was pleased with that turn of events, but he supposed he could deal with it. After all, it's not like L. Joe was leaving him alone for good, right? They were friends again, it wasn't like he was being shut out of the other boy's life. He just wanted to let him get over the fact that their parents had an affair about a decade ago, that he hadn't known about. He was being considerate.

 

But since when was that one of L. Joe's qualities?

 

He couldn't help feeling highly suspicious of the whole thing, like L. Joe was trying to hide something from him. But why would L. Joe need to do something like that? They were friends, nothing more. It's not like he had to worry about hurting his feelings. Even if Chunji did kind of wish they were something more.

 

His father's angry words came back to him, from their fight when he'd confronted his mother about the affair his father had with L. Joe's mother. At the time, his words had made Chunji feel uncomfortable; both because he did in fact have romantic feelings for L. Joe and because they weren't on speaking terms. It made his claims sound plausible. But he'd dismissed them at the time, not wanting them to be true. Besides, L. Joe had said that they were friends, right? So there was no way they could be true. With that thought he'd quickly put his father's words to the back of his mind.

 

But now that he was feeling concerned about his relationship with L. Joe, and the other boy's suspicious behaviour, those words came back to haunt him. He couldn't have done anything to give away his feelings, right? He wasn't sure if he'd even seen L. Joe since he'd realised that he had inappropriate feelings for the younger boy. Still, he might've picked up on his feelings, before Chunji did.

 

But even if he had been a little too expressive, how would L. Joe have managed to notice that? L. Joe was far too forward himself. Even if Chunji had done something inappropriate, it would have paled in comparison with the other boy's own actions. If he were inappropriate he met his match, if not his superior at it in the other boy.

 

Would L. Joe really have been behaving that way, if Chunji's feelings for him made him uncomfortable?

 

Just thinking that last thought made Chunji feel so creepy, that he had to suppress a shudder. He felt like such a pedo. He felt like he was trying to convince himself that L. Joe was not only reciprocating but encouraging his feelings. As though he wanted there to be something between the two of them.

 

L. Joe was not gay. He'd stated so, expressly. How much more explicit could the guy get? He probably only acted that way because L. Joe acted kind of strange. He probably didn't realise how his actions and words could be interpreted, especially by someone like Chunji, who apparently had a very depraved mind, considering his current infatuation with the younger boy. Or he did, and he was doing it to .

 

No, L. Joe and he were friends and that was all. But if L. Joe had been trying to ward him off; to discourage his feelings for him, then perhaps that was why he was being so secretive now. They'd been pretty distant for a little while now. Maybe in the time they were apart, L. Joe had found himself a girlfriend? Maybe he was neglecting Chunji so that he could spend time with her? But he was trying to keep the whole thing a secret because he knew about Chunji's feelings, and he didn't want to hurt him too badly, because he was a friend?

 

The thought made Chunji's heart ache slightly, but he pushed it aside, stubbornly. No. There was no way that L. Joe had a girlfriend. Chunji hadn't seen L. Joe so much as look at someone; male or female since he'd first met him. He wasn't interested in anyone. He couldn't have a girlfriend. There was just no way.

 

Or maybe he just didn't want to believe it was possible that he'd lost the younger boy.

 

His father had said that his words were designed to spare Chunji's feelings. Maybe L. Joe really had gotten a girlfriend, and he'd sent the message via their parents, in the hopes of getting someone else to tell him to back off in his place?

 

But why wouldn't L. Joe have just told him straight to his face? L. Joe might have been a bit mysterious and secretive, but he was also blunt to a fault. He said things, very embarrassing things to Chunji all the time. He told him that he liked him. Although to be fair that was in his sleep. He said that he missed him, when they'd been apart. He'd tried to strip him. He'd admitted he was jealous of CAP when Chunji wore his clothes. He'd kissed him on the cheek.

 

Thinking back to that party made Chunji shiver again. He was the more mature one of the two of them. He was the adult. It was him that was involved in such an inappropriate relationship. It was his age respective to L. Joe's that made the relationship inappropriate in the first place! But that evening, he'd felt younger than L. Joe. The other boy had been so mature and confident. L. Joe had definitely been in control that whole evening.

 

He felt his cheeks burn as he recalled the way L. Joe had looked at him. A goofy smile graced his lips as he recalled the way L. Joe had gotten jealous over him. He'd wanted Chunji to be his. He couldn't stand the thought of even the suggestion that Chunji belonged to someone else. He'd even kissed him! Hardly the actions of someone that was being taken advantage of, because of his younger age!

 

Surely someone that treated him like that; so seriously but with so much emotion behind it, left unsaid, wouldn't have a girlfriend. Surely, he would have respected him enough that even if he had gotten a girlfriend, he would have come right out and told him as much.

 

These thoughts and more circulated round and round in his mind, as the next few days passed with L. Joe still seemingly ignoring him. He was still sulking about it the day of the next party at CAP's place. He almost didn't want to go, except for the fact that he knew L. Joe would be there. Changjo had told him once that L. Joe would never miss a party with the guys, no matter what was going on in their lives. He'd never missed one yet, and he wouldn't miss one now.

 

Still, he worried when he arrived and found that L. Joe wasn't there yet. Sure L. Joe had come late to the last party, the thought of which still made him blush, when he recalled what had gone down in the bathroom. But what if he knew that Chunji would be there and changed his mind about coming at the last minute? Or worse still he came, and took one look at him and walked out again? Or even worse, if he took one look at him, stayed but was clearly agitated by his presence or ignored him for the entire evening?

 

Chunji could think of so many ways that the whole thing might go wrong, that he could hardly maintain his focus on the party itself. They were all crowding around CAP's very small lounge room, to watch a movie, apparently. He'd missed the whole argument about what movie they were going to watch because he was spacing out. Luckily he'd already been seated in a pretty good spot, so he'd have a clear view of the TV, but with how much he kept spacing out as of late, concerned about where L. Joe was, he guessed that his position would be of little use to him. He'd probably end up staring off into space for the entire movie.

 

He got up to fetch himself a drink, only to find his space occupied by the time he returned, with his cup. He glared at Niel, who playfully stuck his tongue out at him. “Hey! Give me back my spot!” he demanded, his frustration at L. Joe's absence probably a little too noticeable in his tone.

 

But all Niel did was cross his arms, arrogantly. Replying with a sneer, “Spot's mine now.”

 

“Come on, haven't you heard of respecting your elders! Where are your manners?” Chunji tried again, really just wanting his seat back, so he could sit down and space out, comforting himself with his fantasies of L. Joe, until the other boy finally decided to rock up.

 

Niel shook his head. “Haven't you heard? The younger generation don't have any. Come back when you're a senior citizen and we'll see.” he commented, teasingly.

 

Chunji took a step closer, clearly considering how successful he'd be if he were to try dragging Niel from his spot on the lounge. Niel recognised the glint in the older boy's eyes and drew his legs up, defensively, “Don't you dare. Take one step closer and I'll kick your .” Niel threatened, clearly having every intention of following through on his threat.

 

Chunji sighed, irritated at his loss of a seat, Niel eyeing him curiously. “Tell you what, I'll let you sit in my lap if I can get some of that drink of yours?” Chunji took one look at the drink in his hands, and his other seating options. Noting that he'd be left on the cold hard floor, as his only other alternative, he shrugged. “Deal.”

 

He plopped into Niel's lap, shifting about until he'd settled comfortably, in a position that didn't make Niel grumble about his bony bum. He passed the cup behind him to the other boy, who happily slurped on the straw, before passing it back to Chunji. Chunji could only guess that he was watching the movie from over his shoulder, judging from the sharp point he could feel digging into his shoulder, which he assumed must have been Niel's chin. So he reclined against the younger boy slightly, to make it easier for him to see. Niel sighed, gratefully, settling into the new position more comfortably.

 

No one else had even spared them a second look during the entire exchange. Situations like this were pretty common amongst their group. No one liked sitting on the floor when they could avoid it. Ricky would clamber all over whoever he had to just to avoid being relegated to the ground.

 

Though Chunji had caught the excited giggles of Ricky beside him, mumbling something about how he couldn't wait to see the look on L. Joe's face when he saw where Chunji was sitting. Chunji smiled himself at the thought of the response he might get from the other boy, even if he did feel a tad guilty, knowing that this might make him jealous. Still, all he did was to rub Ricky's hair distractedly, too pleased by the news that L. Joe would indeed be coming to the party to get too annoyed by what he'd said.

 

Things were much better between him and Ricky these days. He'd contributed to at least another 100 photos of Ricky's on Facebook, taking him into the Top 100 in his competition, for which the other boy was immensely grateful. He'd realised that Ricky was very affectionate, and a bit of a show off, so he knew not to take anything too much to heart from the younger boy. He was pretty good company for that matter as well.

 

Like Niel. Who was at that moment, tugging angrily on Chunji's clothes, trying to get the cup of drink back. Chunji passed it to him absent mindedly, still unable to focus on the movie. His eyes kept drifting over in the direction of the door, hoping to see L. Joe walking through it at any moment.

 

But all he was met with was disappointment.

 

It was with a certain amount of resignation and disappointment, that Chunji allowed his attention to drift over to the film, as he realised that L. Joe wasn't going to be arriving any time soon. He kind of hoped that by watching the movie, it'd make time speed up, and he'd get to see L. Joe faster. Or at least that it might make him less aware of the passage of time, so that he wouldn't realise just how long he'd been waiting for L. Joe to arrive.

 

He was laughing at a particularly funny part, when they heard the door open. Chunji had only registered the noise absent mindedly, too caught up with his own amusement, even when he heard an achingly familiar voice call out “Thanks for coming to get us!” L. Joe padded into the room, casually enough, hands stuffed in his pockets, quickly taking in the state of the room.

 

Chunji felt a strange feeling, as though he was being watched, and looked in the direction of the doorway, only to see L. Joe standing there. He looked just the same as he had the last time Chunji had seen him; as handsome and cool and confident as ever, and Chunji felt his heart lurch, even as a smile slid onto his face in recognition of his arrival. But L. Joe only stared at him, an intense, dark look hidden in those depths, that made Chunji shiver in Niel's lap.

 

Instantly he was struck by a wave of guilt at having been caught sitting in someone else's lap. L. Joe had never forbidden him from doing so, but he could tell that his having done so displeased him. The news that he'd done this same thing last time had not pleased him last time either. But this time he'd technically already received a warning about doing stuff like this. He certainly didn't look pleased this time either, confirming his suspicions, that he'd upset the other boy. He wanted to jump out of Niel's lap immediately, as though that one action could erase what he'd already done. He felt like he'd betrayed him.

 

Hearing Ricky's muffled chuckles from beside him only made him feel more uncomfortable with the whole situation.

 

He could feel words of apology lingering on the tip of his tongue, ready to spill forth in front of the whole room, when a small person came up beside L. Joe, latching their hand through his loosely crooked arm.

 

He had to blink at that. So did everyone else, from what he could tell. Well, everyone except Niel, whose face was hidden behind Chunji's back as he took another long sip of Chunji's long since stolen, drink.

 

There was a girl standing beside L. Joe, looking at them all, curiously. Long black hair, small frame. Dark eyes. Nothing unexpected from a girl, really. Still the sight of one here and now was unexpected. He'd seen that dark look swirling in the other boy's eyes, even as that small hand of hers ensnared his arm, before he hid it behind a blank mask, no doubt for show for the girl.

 

“This is Da-eun. She's a friend from the States.” L. Joe stated, disinterestedly, when he realised that everyone in the room was frozen at the unfamiliar presence that had just joined them. The girl smiled, seemingly very anxious at all the attention she was receiving. It made her tighten her grip on L. Joe's arm, and made Chunji's heart clench painfully, but he tried not to wince.

 

CAP turned off the movie, which Chunji thought must've appeared very suspicious, until he realised that the ending credits had started to play while they were all distracted by the girl. “These are my friends.” he stated, clearly unaware of his friends' discomfort with the whole situation.

 

In these sorts of situations it was always either Ricky or Niel that would take over, being the two most friendly members in the group. Since Niel was pinned beneath Chunji's body weight, Ricky quickly realised that it'd have to be him that spoke first. He rose from the lounge to go approach Da-eun with a sigh that was only audible to Chunji and Niel. If his heart wasn't racing so badly, Chunji might've laughed at that.

 

He'd never known Ricky to be reluctant to make friends with someone. “Hi I'm Ricky.” he stated, exuberantly, energy seemingly radiating out of him. Chunji wondered if it was just because of that sigh, but suddenly Ricky's energy seemed a little forced this time around. Changjo and CAP waved, softly murmuring their names for the bewildered girl.

 

He felt her eyes settle on him, and Chunji gulped, trying to force his vocal chords to work, without making his voice sound strange. He didn't want anyone to know how much the arrival of this girl was making him uncomfortable. “I'm Chunji.” he mumbled, relieved to hear that his voice sounded relatively normal. A slightly muffled “And I'm Niel.” coming from over his shoulder, his face, no doubt partially covered, as Niel hid behind Chunji's shoulder.

 

Da-eun smiled at the boys, politely asking CAP whether or not she'd be able to get something to drink. CAP nodded, Ricky quickly dragging her over to the kitchen, without ever actually touching her. Chunji thought he might've shaken slightly as it really started to sink in that L. Joe had shown up with a girl. But the thought only really occurred to him when he realised that Niel must've felt the movement, as his hands slid around Chunji's waist in an attempt to comfort him.

 

Chunji didn't fail to miss the hardening of the glare that snapped into L. Joe's gaze, before Da-eun was able to drag him into the kitchen. He'd seen that, and it had clearly made him unhappy, but Chunji found his pain mixing with a small amount of anger. What right did L. Joe have to get jealous over something like this, when he was clearly at this party with someone else?

 

“Sorry, man. I swear I didn't know about her.” Niel murmured comfortingly into his shoulder blade, as he squeezed Chunji gently. Chunji sighed, nodding only able to allow himself a moment of sulking before he had to slip back into character. He was L. Joe's friend this evening. He wasn't allowed to let on how uncomfortable or depressed he felt being stuck in the same room as L. Joe's girlfriend.

 

At least not until after she left. She wouldn't be spending the night, right?

 

Chunji slid off of the younger boy's lap, gesturing for Niel to run off with the others, “I'm fine.” he assured the other boy, when Niel gave him a concerned look. He rubbed at his eyes distractedly, wondering why Niel had apologised about this whole thing, and considering the idea that perhaps Niel knew more than he'd ever let on about Chunji's feelings for L. Joe. Still, he supposed that wasn't really a problem at this point, since he was clearly never going to get to have him.

 

He was so distracted that he barely noticed the soft plop as someone settled into the lounge beside him, until he heard Ricky's voice, whispering to him, softly. “I hate her.” his arms crossed, completing the picture of a sulky child. Chunji looked up a the younger boy, curious. “Why's that?” he murmured, feeling old and tired all of a sudden.

 

Ricky wrinkled his nose. “What was he thinking bringing her here? You two make a much better couple.” Chunji quirked a smile at the response, from the other boy, even as he started to panic at just how many people seemed to have been able to detect his supposedly subtle feelings. “We've never been a couple, Ricky.” he commented lightly, pretending that this whole thing wasn't happening, and that he wasn't being overcome with a sudden desire to cry.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I'm aware of that. Still, what did he think he was doing bringing her here? He has to realise we like you better, surely.” Ricky mumbled, sulking. “I'm really sorry, Chunji.” he whispered, clearly wanting to hug the older boy and yet not really sure that Chunji wanted the contact right at this moment. His hesitation only warmed Chunji's aching heart a little, and he drew closer to Ricky, hugging the younger boy to himself, his head falling lightly on the younger boy's shoulder.

 

“Thanks, Ricky.” he said, his words landing straight on the younger boy's neck, but he didn't shiver or give any other indication that he'd felt them. He rubbed Chunji's back sympathetically, waiting until Chunji let him go, laughing at the fact that Chunji only did it, with a great amount of reluctance. There was something kind of calming about hugging Ricky. It was kind of like hugging a teddy bear. No wonder L. Joe did it so often in all of Ricky's photos.

 

Still, the reminder of the other boy only drew a strangled sob from between his lips. He had to cover his mouth with his hand to silence the sound. Still Changjo had heard him, and gave his friend an awkward pat on the back, uncomfortable with the idea of trying to comfort someone, before he stepped out into the kitchen to fetch Chunji something to drink, in the hopes the liquid might help calm him down.

 

Niel had wandered back into the room, plopping down into the space beside Chunji, resting the arm he used to prop up his head, against the back of the lounge as he stared at his friend sympathetically. “So apparently she's here on a school trip. She'll be gone soon. She has a curfew, so she'll need to go back to the hotel shortly. But I've got some bad news for you.”

 

Changjo returned with the drink, and Chunji shot him a grateful smile as he took a long gulp of the drink, gesturing for Niel to come out with whatever it was that he wanted to tell him. “Apparently, she was L. Joe's girlfriend back when he lived in the States.” Chunji rolled his eyes at the news. It had hurt but it was hardly unexpected, from the way she seemed so comfortable hanging off of the other boy.

 

Niel gave Chunji a slight shove as he excused himself to go find where Ricky and Changjo had disappeared to, since CAP had officially excused himself to go have his shower for the evening in order to escape the awkward atmosphere Da-eun's presence brought to their gathering.

 

Chunji wasn't sure why Niel had nudged him until he realised that someone was sitting down on the other side of him. He turned, a little shocked to find Da-eun smiling at him. “So you're Chunji right?”

 

“Yeah.” he agreed, feeling very nervous about this whole situation. He didn't think he could even look her in the eye; his grip on his drink was slipping as his hands started to get clammy due to his nerves. How was he supposed to deal with this? He was seated next to L. Joe's girlfriend, when he knew that he also had feelings for her boyfriend. He felt so uncomfortable at the moment, and yet he was clearly expected to make small talk with her. It only made this whole evening that much more unbearable.

 

Still he grit his teeth, and smiled, searching for something to say to the clearly nervous girl beside him. “ So, you're here on a school trip, right?” he asked, not sure what else he could say to the girl. He didn't know anything about her, and he didn't particularly want to learn anything about her either. Da-eun nodded, jerkily, “Yeah. Thought it might be fun to have a holiday before starting university, you know?” Chunji nodded, turning his drink around in his hands carefully.

 

“So, have you known L. Joe for long?” she asked, sounding like she was genuinely intrigued to hear the answer Chunji gave. He found that a little unsettling. “No, I'm the newest of his friends, but we've still known each other for the better part of a year.” Chunji answered, feeling a little disappointed that he had so little to say. He felt minuscule; as though importance to L. Joe was measured by the length of time one had known him, and he was coming last in line. “Oh? Really?” she queried, sounding surprised. Chunji nodded, and she shuffled, clearly feeling surprised, “It's just L. Joe, talks so highly of you. You're clearly his best friend. I'm surprised that you've gotten so close to him in such a short amount of time.”

 

“It must be that the time they've spent together has been quality time.” Niel suggested as he came back over to the lounge, clearly trying to give Chunji some moral support, having seen the two of them left alone together. “Definitely. Quality over quantity, right? Isn't that what they say overseas?” Ricky pushed, eagerly, as he huddled round the others as well. Chunji thought he noticed a jolt from Da-eun, clearly having detected the slight insult hidden within Ricky's words.

 

He'd think that it had been purely accidental, when Ricky pushed for more conversation, ignoring the girl's reaction, until he saw the humour sparkling in his eyes, when Da-eun excused herself to go to the bathroom. CAP had come out from the shower a few minutes ago, dressed quite lazily, as though there wasn't some random girl in his apartment.

 

L. Joe joined the lounge room again, Changjo clearly telling him something he considered to be very important, but still his eyes went searching for Chunji. Chunji averted his gaze, not wanting to see L. Joe looking at him, knowing the other boy wouldn't be willing to forgive or forget the little scene he'd walked in on with Niel. He didn't want to have to go grovelling for his forgiveness now. Not now, not after he'd brought Da-eun as his date to their little party. Not after he'd just been left alone with Da-eun, expected to talk to her and play nice when he knew she was L. Joe's girlfriend, and he had feelings for the other boy too.

 

After nearly 30 minutes of discomfort, Da-eun started giving the group her apologies, for having to leave so early. They'd never been so happy to see someone leave in their lives. Chunji could clearly see how she was beseeching L. Joe, with her eyes, even laying a hand lightly on his wrist, trying to convince him to take her back to her hotel.

 

It would be kind of rude of him not to her back. He was her only friend here in Korea. If anything happened to her on her way back, L. Joe would feel guilty, so he could understand why the younger boy agreed to take her. He felt the other boy give him one last long look over his shoulder as he left, telling them all that he'd be back in a little while. They'd nodded sympathetically, as the older boy left.

 

But after about 5 minutes, CAP jumped up from the lounge, Changjo in tow, heading for the door, Ricky tossing his beloved camera to the other boy, to go off on a spy mission. Chunji sighed, “Guys? What's the point of all this? We're not going to like anything they come back with anyway!” he had murmured, the thought of the pictures he might be confronted with upon their return, nearly making Chunji whimper.

 

Niel and Ricky gave him a sympathetic look, before Niel suggested he go have a shower. “CAP left some clothes for you on his bed.” Ricky made sure to add, apparently having been told to pass on the message, probably when they sorted out this reconnaissance plan of theirs in the first place.

 

Chunji considered telling them that he'd brought some clothes of his own this evening, but he paused, considering the matter for a moment. He didn't have any qualms abut borrowing CAP's clothing. The only reason he'd brought clothes of his own this time was because L. Joe had been so unhappy about him wearing CAP's clothing last time he stayed over. But L. Joe had a girlfriend now. It was none of his business what Chunji did, or with whom. Besides, it'd serve that pompous jerk right to get worked up about it, after what he'd put Chunji through this evening. He deserved to squirm a little too; he deserved to feel a little bit of jealousy; a bit of pain.

 

He nodded and ran off to have a shower, quickly changing into the older boy's clothing, having to push the sleeves up, to his elbows, just to make it fit better. He sighed as he returned to the lounge room, half hoping to run into L. Joe as he made his way out of the bathroom, and half hoping that he wouldn't see L. Joe ever again. The two other boys were watching some show on TV, but they turned it off, as Chunji reappeared, and settled into the small space between the two other boys, as they all draped themselves over each other.

 

“I still hate her.” Ricky stated, louder this time, now that he felt comfortable in the privacy of the place, since they were alone. “Me too.” Niel complained. Chunji could only smile at how his friends were bickering. “You love him don't you?” Niel questioned, sounding convinced that he already knew what was going on. Chunji didn't even have a chance to answer before Ricky jumped in, “Of course he does. That much is obvious.”

 

Chunji sighed, not really wanting to talk about it all at the moment. He'd be concerned that they'd already seen through him some other time. Maybe he'd worry about them tomorrow. But he just couldn't be bothered by this point. If they could tell, maybe L. Joe could too. Maybe this was his way of turning him down, without actually having to say 'no'. “That doesn't say anything about his feelings for me.” Chunji pointed out, staring up at the ceiling of CAP's apartment.

 

“He's madly in love with you. Isn't he, Ricky?” Niel stated, flippantly as though the topic wasn't even worthy of discussion. “Definitely.” Ricky added, nodding vigorously. “Funny, I wouldn't have thought that someone who was madly in love with me, wouldn't have paraded a girlfriend around in front of us.” Chunji pointed out, a little bitterly, but he knew neither of the other boys would hold his attitude against him under the circumstances.

 

“He only brought her here because she bugged him to do it.” Niel stated knowingly. “Did she say that?” Chunji questioned, eyeing the other boy intrigued. The comment only caught Niel off guard for a few seconds before he was waving it off. “You could totally tell. He was just trying to keep her happy.” he answered. Chunji nodded, knowing that his words meant that Niel had no idea whether or not what he was saying was true or not.

 

“He's going to give you hell when he gets back, you know?” Ricky murmured, impishly. Chunji looked at him, a little distrustfully, “Why is that?” he queried, noting the big grin adorning the other boy's face. “Because I told him about all the skinship you'd gotten up to in his absence. Trust me, he's not going to be happy with you.”

 

It was a close call, but Changjo and CAP were just able to beat L. Joe into the apartment, although they had to hold their breath until the other boy walked into the bathroom, apparently planning on having his own shower now, just to make sure that they weren't caught.

 

Everyone breathed a deep sigh of relief, Ricky and Niel hassling Changjo to find out what they'd been able to capture on film from their secret spy mission. While they sorted through the images on the camera's small viewing screen, CAP came over giving Chunji a couple of pats on the back, trying to convey his sympathy for the other boy's plight.

 

Chunji wasn't used to being touched as much as he had been this evening, and yet each time seemed to act as salve to his aching heart. Still the comfort didn't completely make up for the knowledge that the boy he loved very inappropriately, had a girlfriend now. The waves of pain wracked his form, and it seemed to take up all of his energy just to keep from screaming or bursting into tears.

 

It hurt like when L. Joe told him they couldn't be friends anymore. Yet, it seemed to hurt a little bit less. Whether that was just because he'd experienced this pain once before, and so he was developing an immunity to it, or because he didn't consider this to be as intolerable as that last time, he couldn't be sure. After all, sure L. Joe might have a girlfriend now, but at least they were still friends right?

 

But then he also suspected that the looks L. Joe had been giving him that evening were keeping the brunt of the pain at bay. Because L. Joe couldn't look at him like that, if he had no feelings for him.

 

He'd never considered being the other person; breaking up a relationship so that he could steal L. Joe away. But he found himself weighing up the possibility of giving it a try, a thought which unnerved him a little. Mostly because he could seriously envision himself winning if he were to try challenging their relationship.

 

They settled in for another movie, Chunji finding himself resting comfortably in CAP's lap for the duration of the film this time. Niel had flounced onto the lounge beside L. Joe, laying his head on his shoulder. Every time he lost interest in the film, he would start whispering things into L. Joe's ear, much to the annoyance of L. Joe. But then L. Joe had been staring at CAP and Chunji very intently as it was, so perhaps he was already annoyed and Niel's words were having no impact on him whatsoever.

 

After the movie, they decided to go to bed, everybody finding that the party had worn thin a little earlier than normal. Niel and CAP had retreated to the bedroom once again, and Ricky and Changjo had settled on the floor, leaving the lounges for L. Joe and Chunji. Chunji laid down, feeling too unhappy to really want to sleep, with L. Joe barely 10 metres away from him.

 

He felt something nudging his hand, from the ground below his lounge, and he rolled over to face whoever it was. He felt a soft hand reaching up to find his face, before drifting to the side to locate his ear. The person then leaned up, whispering in his ear, “Go to the bathroom. He's awake, and he'll follow you. You should speak to him.”

 

Chunji paused for a moment considering Changjo's words carefully. Did he really want to talk to L. Joe right now? Was he really in the right place, emotionally to be able to handle that this evening? He'd only just found out about L. Joe's girlfriend, and he wanted to confront him, now? But then again, who knew when he'd next see L. Joe to be able to have any sort of confrontation with him at all.

 

He got up, making his way over to the bathroom, barely having to wait a second before he heard someone else rustling as they extricated themselves from their blankets as well. He took a deep breath as he entered the bathroom, the other boy quickly swimming into view a second after he'd closed the door behind himself.

 

It almost hurt for Chunji to look at L. Joe this close. He longed to just fall into the other boy's arms and never get up again. He wanted to feel his skin against his hands, his warmth against his cheek as the smell of him drifted into his nose.

 

Instead he had to stay still as the other boy glared at him, from his place in front of him, in front of the now closed door. His arms were crossed, a very angry look plastered across his face. On some level the look made Chunji a little worried. L. Joe hadn't looked this angry the last time this happened, but then again, this time he was actively flouting L. Joe's rules, wasn't he? Still, he drew up his chin, stubbornly, crossing his own arms, defensively.

 

“I thought I made it clear last time, that I don't like you doing this.” L. Joe stated, tone icy cold as he glared at his friend. These were the first words he'd actually spoken to him all evening, and that fact hurt on some deeper level, but Chunji refused to allow himself to dwell on them.

 

“Doing what?” he questioned, playing dumb. He knew it would annoy L. Joe a little bit more, but by this point he didn't really care how angry L. Joe was about how he was acting. He wasn't L. Joe's property; he couldn't tell him what he could or could not do. If he wanted to fuss over someone, it should be his girlfriend. But Chunji was just a friend, and thus, not able to be bossed around. A point he'd only been to eager to point out to him earlier; a point he'd received loud and clear.

 

L. Joe's glare hardened a little bit more, it had almost crystallised in his eyes, but he made no move to get closer to him, or touch him, for which, Chunji was grateful. He'd feel really uncomfortable if he had to deal with that in L. Joe's current mood. “Don't do that. I know you know what I'm unhappy about.”

 

“Nope. No clue.” Chunji retorted, flippantly, gaze never falling away from L. Joe's, filled with all the challenge he had in him at this point.

 

“You're wearing CAP's clothes again.” L. Joe pointed out, clearly agitated. “Am I?” Chunji questioned, sounding shocked, as he observed himself. “Do you want me to take them off for you this time?” L. Joe retorted, not making any moves to step closer to emphasise the threat inherent in his words.

 

“Then there's all the touching you've gotten up to. First you're on Niel's lap. Then you're hugging Ricky close, and then you're sitting on CAP's lap as well.” L. Joe bit out, clearly very angry with him, for all the affection Chunji had been receiving that evening. He kind of wanted to bite back that they wouldn't have needed to give him so much affection, if L. Joe hadn't insisted on bringing his girlfriend to their party, but he restrained himself.

 

“I don't see any problem with that. It's not like I belong to anyone or anything.” Chunji responded, a clear challenge lacing his words. He saw the look of shock and slight hurt in L. Joe's eyes, at what he said, but it wasn't enough to make him regret what he'd said. He didn't belong to anyone. L. Joe had done a marvellous job of sending him mixed signals, but that certainly didn't amount to being claimed in any sense.

 

But all L. Joe did was sigh, as he eyed the boy before him, “Funny I'm fairly certain I've claimed you. Several times in fact.”

 

Chunji rolled his eyes, finding that he was far too tired to put up with L. Joe's interrogation. He knew it had been a bad idea to talk to him this evening. It wasn't going to do anything; nothing was going to change. “Uh huh. Well, if all you've got planned is to take my pyjamas away from me, I think I'll just be going now.” Chunji stated, moving to walk passed L. Joe, and out of the bathroom.

 

He didn't make it. Within seconds, L. Joe had grabbed his wrist, throwing him into the wall and barricading any chance of escape with his own body. Chunji growled in frustration, trying to shove L. Joe out of his way, but that only made the other boy pin his arms above his head, to force him to stay still.

 

“I told you. Not your clothes. CAP's.” L. Joe murmured, his feat of strength and speed clearly having come at a slight cost, as it took him a second to regain his breath. Chunji glared at him, annoyed that L. Joe was carrying on with all of this stuff again. For the umpteenth time this evening, he felt like he was about to start tearing up, but for the first time, he wasn't sure if he could suppress the tears.

 

“Let go of me.” he demanded, but his voice was small and soft and L. Joe ignored it completely. Chunji didn't struggle against his grip. “Now, are you going to undress yourself like last time, or am I going to have to do it for you?” L. Joe said, calmly.

 

Chunji broke eye contact between them, not wanting the younger boy to know how much that sentence affected him. “Neither.” he stated, “I'm going to go back out there and go to sleep.” L. Joe eyed the other boy, patronisingly, “Are we seriously going to have to do things this way?” When Chunji made no move to change his answer, L. Joe sighed, resignedly bringing one of his hands down to try and take off Chunji's hoodie.

 

Chunji squirmed around trying to keep L. Joe's hand from touching the zipper, which was resting somewhere around his chest. “Don't touch me.” he hissed, as though his touch could burn him. L. Joe didn't freeze at the comment, and Chunji whimpered, struggling frantically when the younger boy's fingers managed to grip the zipper tightly between them. “Don't! Don't touch me! What about Da-eun?” Chunji demanded desperately.

 

For the first time L. Joe's fingers stilled. He tilted his head up to observe the older boy carefully. “I thought that must've been what was bothering you.” he stated, sounding, of all things, relieved. The thought sickened Chunji on some level. He hated the thought that L. Joe was so calm about all of this. He made him hurt so badly, and yet he could read Chunji so well that he couldn't even make the other boy jealous properly.

 

His gaze softened, and he Chunji's cheek softly. Chunji wanted to recoil away from his touch, to hurt L. Joe, but his body recognised the familiar body before him. He'd hoped all his painful thoughts surrounding this boy would make him shudder in revulsion when he was touched by him, but his body sunk into the light touch, enjoying it.

 

“I'm sorry, Chunji. I didn't want to bring her here, I swear. But she wanted to meet you guys, and she kept bugging me until I agreed to bring her to meet you all.” L. Joe explained, his smile turning soft and fond as he gazed at Chunji, in that intimate way he did, whenever they were left alone, “I was so proud of you when you talked to her. I hadn't realised how much you cared about me.”

 

“You?” Chunji questioned, confused at how L. Joe could read affection for himself into that whole exchange. “Yes me. She kind of acts like my girlfriend, and you saw that and still managed to have a polite conversation with her, because you thought it would make me angry with you if you didn't.” L. Joe murmured.

 

“You make me sound like my mother.” Chunji responded, shaking his head in disbelief. L. Joe stiffened slightly at the mention of the other woman. “So what happened between your mum and dad when you exposed the affair?” he questioned, hesitating as though he were unsure whether or not the question was allowed.

 

“What makes you think I'd expose it?” Chunji demanded, automatically jumping on L. Joe's assumption that he would do so. Even though L. Joe was right and he had done exactly that. L. Joe grinned, “You wouldn't be able to help yourself.”

 

Chunji grumbled at the response, but he let it slide all the same. “Apparently my mother had known about the affair at the time. They talked it out, and she forgave him.” L. Joe winced slightly at the comment, “So then, she knew who I was too, when I met her?” “She said so.” Chunji agreed, his breathing ceasing when L. Joe's head fell against his shoulder as he groaned.

 

“You were doing this to get back at me for bringing Da-eun, weren't you?” L. Joe mumbled, yanking on the front of the hoodie Chunji was wearing, so that Chunji would understand what he was referring to. There was something about this that felt so intimate, that all Chunji could do was nod in response.

 

“I think I'm going to have to do more this time.” L. Joe said, pondering what his next course of action should be. In a few quick movements, he had the zipper entirely undone, quickly followed by his own, which he then shrugged out of so he could exchange it for Chunji's.

 

He flashed him a wicked grin, “I can't do the pants for you, without things getting awkward. But I will if you won't do it yourself.” L. Joe teased, making Chunji's cheeks flame. He quickly kicked them off, pulling L. Joe's pants on with two quick movements, hoping that L. Joe hadn't looked at him while he was changing. “If that's all, can I go back to bed now?” Chunji demanded.

 

L. Joe nodded, but drew closer to Chunji once again, giving another soft peck, to his cheek, first the right, then the left, surprising Chunji. He brushed his thumb across Chunji's left cheek, just above where he'd kissed him a second earlier. “I'm sorry for bringing Da-eun here, and making you jealous. Why don't you listen to me when I say that you've got nothing to be jealous of?” he asked.

 

Chunji pushed his hand away from his face. “You should tell your girlfriend that, I'm sure she'd love to hear all about this!” he countered, quickly ducking out of the room, before L. Joe could confront him about his bitter reply.