Chapter 22

It All Started With a Favour....

 

Even after receiving the go ahead from both CAP and Niel, whose sound advice he trusted, Chunji found himself reluctant to go up and see his parents. He knew that he should go and get it all out in the open. He knew that he had the courage of his convictions, and he was kind of expecting nothing to change from what he'd learned.

 

Still, he had considered what the two other boys had said very carefully. They'd both pointed out that in the end, the only person that would really be affected by this affair coming to light, would be his mother. He loved his mother so much; she'd always been so accepting and understanding. She had always been there for him. He wanted her to be happy, he didn't want to have to be the one to make her unhappy by telling her the truth. He didn't want to hurt her, and yet he knew that his news could only cause pain. But wouldn't it cause her more pain to find out that her son had known about his father's affair and not told her? Wouldn't that make him as bad as his father?

 

He knew he had to go tell her, but he found himself disinclined to do so, all the same.

 

He did manage to force himself to go up to his parent's place, though.

 

His father let him into the house, and he tried to move around the older man, feeling uncomfortable being so close to the other man. “Where's mum?” he asked, a little agitated that his father was going to be in the house, considering what he had to tell his mother.

 

“She's in the kitchen. Listen, I would like to have a word with you, for a moment.” His father said, in a hush. Chunji felt uncomfortable being in such close proximity to this man, given their already tense relationship, and his anger towards him, as of late, but he couldn't really find a suitable reason to excuse himself either. “Uh, I suppose that's okay.” he murmured, unsettled.

 

“It's about Byunghyun.” His father explained in a hush, crowding his son into the doorway, the occasional glances he chucked towards the kitchen telling Chunji that he was hoping that his mother wouldn't walk in on their conversation. His attitude and the mention of L. Joe's name instantly put him on alert. “Oh, um, what about him?”

 

“His mother informs me that the two of you are... how should I put this... close?” his father stated, clearly seeming uncomfortable though whether that was because of what they were discussing or the secretive nature of the conversation Chunji couldn't be sure. Chunji shrugged, felling a little uncomfortable with how close his father was getting to him; moving closer ever few seconds, forcing Chunji to back up against the wall, back barely centimetres away from touching the smooth surface. “I suppose you could say that.”

 

“How close?” his father pushed, igniting Chunji's anger. There was something about the way his father was looking that made him angry. His first thought was that it was his father's homophobia cropping up again; his prejudices. He was convinced that Chunji must have preyed on the young child of his friend, and he was interjecting in the hopes of putting a stop to it. Because it would embarrass him, were anyone so close to him to find out that his son was gay.

 

But then the thought occurred to him that perhaps his father seemed uncomfortable and alarmed by the prospect because of their respective ages. Chunji had given the matter a fair amount of attention himself, sure. He was always struck by the thought that things between L. Joe and himself were inappropriate, given their respective ages; because he felt like he was much older than L. Joe and was thus taking advantage of the other boy's youthful naivete. But it was another thing entirely to hear it from someone else. So, as hypocritical as it was, this thought annoyed him too. He hadn't done anything wrong; he wasn't doing anything to L. Joe. They were just friends, he'd never done anything indecent to the other boy. They didn't touch. They didn't kiss. They weren't going out and they weren't having . There should be no problems. Besides, what did half a year matter anyway in real terms?

 

But it was only after both of those thoughts had entered into his mind, that Chunji realised how stupid he was for thinking that either of those would be his father's main concern. The only thing that was bothering him was the fact that it was L. Joe that Chunji was close to. The son of his mistress. He was scared about being found out. He was scared of Chunji finding out about what had happened, so he wanted to separate them as quickly as possible. This thought annoyed him the most.

 

He was here to expose his father's affair, and here his father was quizzing him about his relationship with his mistress' son, because he was worried about being ratted out. He eyed his father, his resentment for the man before him growing, at the thought he almost got played by him again, despite the fact he knew exactly what was going on behind the scenes. “We're friends.” Chunji admitted, crossing his arms, almost daring his father to finish whatever thought pattern he had in mind.

 

He saw the way his father's eyes flashed at his flippant words. He thought he was lying. He could see it written plain as day in his gaze. He thought they were closer than that. “Yes well, I'm a little concerned at your relationship, as is his mother... While it's nice that you've made.... friends... we're a little concerned at the between you two.... it's a little... suspect for someone as old as yourself to be so close to a high school student, if you understand what I mean... We think it'd be better for you both, if you were to.... stop hanging around one another so much....” His father stated, eyeing the doorway distractedly, as he tried to implore his younger son to listen to what he had to say.

 

Chunji blinked at his father's comment, shocked at the fact that his father would dare say something like that to him. That he was trying to break up their friendship; he was the one that wanted them close in the first place, wasn't he? Wait no, that was his mother. His father just wanted him to take L.Joe to the formal. “I'm not going to stop being friends with Byunghyun over something like that. There's nothing going on between us.”

 

“Yes but people are talking about the two of you....” his father pressed, concerned. “What do I care about that? People are always going to talk about me; I'm gay! They're convinced I eat babies and breath fire, and that I kidnap little boys on their way home from school, to turn them gay like myself. There's nothing I can do about that.” he retorted.

 

“Well that's effectively what you're doing, isn't it? Byunghyun is a school kid, while you are in university! It's not right.” his father stated, starting to get frustrated and more convinced that his wife would come out and join them at any second. He should've known that Chunji wouldn't be won over so easily. Chunji always put up a fight whenever he disagreed with his father. Usually a very loud, drawn out one too.

 

“Why not? He's starting university this year dad. He's six months younger than me, you're 3 years older than mum! There's nothing suspect about our friendship.” Chunji stated, unconvinced. His father didn't need to know about his affections for L. Joe. That was the last thing that needed to be brought up in their current dispute.

 

“Don't bring your mother and I into this. That's beside the point. My point is that it's no longer acceptable for you to be so close to that boy.” His father hissed.

 

“Says who?” Chunji demanded, refusing to back down on the matter, despite their rising tempers.

 

“Says me. Your father, and you will listen to me. You will stop this relationship of yours. You are going to cease all contact between the two of you immediately.” his father seethed, almost foaming at the mouth in his rage, stepping closer once again, forcing Chunji back into the wall. Chunji glared at his father.

 

“I'm not going to stop being friends with Byunghyun, on your say so. It is perfectly acceptable for us to be friends, and you're going to have to get over it.” Chunji bit back.

 

Chunji's father shoved him, in the shoulder hard, but he refused to strike back, afraid that it'd start a physical fight between the two of them. Chunji had never fought with his father like that before; he'd never fought like that with anyone before. He didn't want to start now. He had to remain as level headed as he possibly could.

 

“When are you going to face the facts, Chanhee? I was trying to spare your feelings, but it looks like there's no getting though to you, unless I'm cruel. So be it. He's not gay. He doesn't have any feelings for you. There never is, was, or will be anything special between the two of you. You were his date for his formal, nothing more. You don't think he is unaware of your feelings, do you? He knows how you feel for him, and you're making him feel uncomfortable. He didn't feel comfortable trying to say it to you directly, so they've asked me to do it for them. Let go Chanhee. He's never going to like you, and you've just got to face up to it. You're making a fool of yourself, in front of everyone. You have to stop!” His father spat.

 

Chunji felt like he'd been physically struck, but he refused to let his father know that his words had hurt him. He tried to tell himself that his father didn't understand things between himself and L. Joe. He knew he didn't understand how complicated things were between them. So he wanted to believe everything he said was another lie. Still, hearing mention of his feelings for L. Joe, and the thought that L. Joe might've picked up on them, made him unhappy. He'd tried to keep them to himself; had he really been acting like a fool? Had everyone really been able to see how he felt for L. Joe? But L. Joe was direct; if L. Joe was rejecting him, he would have come right out and said it, Chunji was sure.

 

No, this had to be a lie, he assured himself, as he pushed his father's words away from his mind. His father was panicking. He was terrified that Chunji was going to find out about his affair, if he maintained his close relationship with L. Joe. That's all there was to it. But the very personal attack, still annoyed him. “There you go, with your prejudices again. It's not possible for me to be friends with another guy, without there being a hidden motive to it, isn't that right? I must be interested in them, just because I'm gay.” he spat, disgusted by the prejudice in those toxic words.

 

His father scoffed at Chunji's words, frustrating him further. His father's words might have been motivated by his fear of his close relationship with L. Joe. By the fact that his secret affair might be revealed. But he could see it in his eyes; a spark of the old prejudice was shining there. He really did, at least partly believe that. Chunji almost shuddered in his disgust and his hatred for his father at the moment. “Or is it because you're afraid I'm going to find out about L. Joe's mother; this supposed friend of yours. Well newsflash dad, I already know!” Chunji screeched at the top of his lungs, quite forgetting his tact, due to his anger.

 

They both froze as what Chunji had said sunk in to both men. They eyed one another across the small distance between the two of them. He could only see all out terror written in his father's eyes. For the first time, since he'd walked into the house, there was no trace of that old homophobia lurking in his gaze. He was too afraid. Knowing that his wife must've been able to hear what Chunji had said.

 

Chunji's cheeks flushed in shame, knowing his mother must've heard him. He hadn't wanted to bring it up like that. He'd wanted to have a quiet, discreet conversation in the kitchen with her, alone. He hadn't wanted it to be so jarring. This was going to hurt her so much more than their conversation ever could have. Who knew what his father was going to do to him for exposing him like that.

 

The two men just stood there, every second feeling like an agonising hour, of waiting as they eyed the door to the kitchen, just waiting to see what would happen. Would his mother come out and join them or not.

 

The door slid open, and his mother entered the hallway, joining her husband and her son. Her eyes were pained, and she looked so tired, and defeated in that one moment, that it was as though she'd aged 10 years. She looked so frail and delicate, that Chunji was half-convinced that she would blow away, if there were a breeze at that moment. The two men held their breath just watching her.
 

She eyed her son, with a look so full of pity and sympathy that Chunji wasn't quite sure what to think. “So I take it, you've found out about your father's affair?” Her words sending a jolt of panicked shock up both of the mens' spines.

 

“Mum, I....” Chunji began, not sure what to say, seeing her nod her head lightly, a short bob, up and down, as sombre as the occasion felt. “Honey, you knew?” his father gasped, as though he'd had all the breath knocked out of him by his words.

 

Her eyes slid closed as she nodded once more, the movement seeming even slower, as though she couldn't bring herself to really acknowledge what she was saying. “I think I've always known. Byunghyun is her son, isn't he?” she murmured softly, eyes open, and pained but with no trace of tears lurking in their depths.

 

His father choked, but Chunji nodded, softly, quick to add, “But he's not dad's son. Her ex-husband is Byunghyun's father.” worried that his mother would jump to conclusions. He saw a soft smile grace her lips at those words. “Yes of course he is. He's too old to have been their love child.” she commented lightly.

 

“I'm so sorry...” his father murmured, eyes b with tears, though just how much he meant them, Chunji wasn't sure. He might've been honest that he hated the fact that he'd hurt his wife, but he could just as easily have been sorry that he'd been found out. “I know you are.” his mother answered softly. “It's okay. I forgive you. It was a long time ago, and there was a lot going on at the time... I know you would never do anything like it again, so it's alright.” she stated, quietly.

 

Chunji's heart ached to hear his mother's words. She'd known. All along she'd known, but she played along with his lies and his stories. She had never believed them, but she let him think that she did. She'd allowed him to hurt her like this, and she'd forgiven him when he'd betrayed her trust and let her down. All along, she'd known what he'd done, but she'd never confronted him about it.

 

He didn't think he'd be able to handle something like this with the quiet humility his mother had. He didn't think he'd be able to do it, if anything like this ever happened to himself. But his admiration for his mother; for her strength and her love for his father grew exponentially. He had no idea how she could do that for so long. She probably would have never told him that she knew; trying to protect him from the truth about his father, and his father from his guilt.

 

How could anyone sacrifice themselves so much for something like this?

 

“Mum, if you knew all this, then why... I mean, when Byunghyun came.... you....” Chunji mumbled, mouth having gone numb from the conversation they were all having. He couldn't figure out how to make his tongue form the words he wanted, not that he could even decide what he really wanted to say, for that matter.

 

She smiled lightly. “He's such a sweet boy... he doesn't deserve to be punished for what his mother and your father did. They made their own mistakes. Do bring him round again, Chanhee. He's such a cute boy.” Chunji nodded, though he noticed the way his father flinched at what she had said, and the fact that Chunji had agreed.

 

She sighed at the silence that filled the room whenever she stopped speaking. “Chanhee, it's been so nice to see you again. You look so much better these days. I take it you and Byunghyun have made up from your little fight. But I think it's time you go. I think your father and I need to have a long talk abut all of this, now that it's out in the open.” she explained, barely able to keep the tremor from her body as she spoke. She stepped forward, drawing her son into a long, tight hug, filled with emotion and understanding.

 

“I'm so sorry, Mum.” he whimpered into her shoulder, as he hugged her close. She'd never felt so tiny in his arms. “I know you are sweetie. Don't worry, everything is going to be okay.” she answered, rubbing lightly between his shoulder blades. She had to lean up to be able to hug him, and as she shooed him towards the door she gave him a kiss on the cheek, that nearly made him cry.

 

Even after all this, his mother was still so caring. So understanding. He should have known that she shared that side of her with her husband as well. No wonder she'd been able to be on both of their sides whenever they'd fought.

 

As he walked down to his car, he had no worries about the couple he'd left inside the house. He knew both CAP and Niel were right. They were going to stay together. She wasn't going to divorce him. She was going to work things out between the two of them. Everything was going to stay the same. But he didn't think he'd ever be able to have even the sliver of respect he used to have for his father again. Even if he treated her well for the rest of her life, in Chunji's mind, he'd never be able to make up for that first betrayal, even if it was his last.