Chapter 12

It All Started With a Favour....

 

For the next couple of days, L. Joe remained at Chunji's apartment, much to his chagrin. He'd spend the day watching TV or sleeping, despite the fact that he tried to get Chunji to agree to take him to the university with him. His knee was still quite swollen and it made the joint a little stiff, so Chunji had said that he needed to stay at the apartment to rest, rather than running all over the place with him.

 

Besides, he reasoned, if L. Joe were healthy enough to run around his university, then he was healthy enough to go back to school.

 

But When Chunji had woken up to find L. Joe already dressed and ready to go, proudly displaying his knee to show that the swelling had gone down, and begging to be taken with him, how could he resist? He'd grumbled and complained, L. Joe animatedly exploring the university campus, as Chunji parked the car. He'd only had 3 lectures today, and the other boy had promised that he was going home again that afternoon, so really, what was the harm?

 

All morning L. Joe had sat in those lectures, eyes transfixed on the lecturers down the front of the room. Chunji actually felt embarrassed at having brought L. Joe with him. No one could tell that L. Joe was still a school student, from his clothing, but Chunji knew better, and had thus been wracked with guilt over it.

 

Besides, none of his classes were that interesting, so L. Joe was probably bored out of his mind. Chunji couldn't see why he'd been so adamant that he'd wanted to go to university with him. L. Joe had probably been regretting the decision all day, and yet he'd paid more attention in those classes than Chunji's classmates had.

 

L. Joe refused to say what he thought of the lectures, or the professors, keeping everything to himself as per usual. When Chunji's classes for the day were over, he'd even had the nerve to demand that Chunji take him out for lunch before taking him home again.

 

The only reason Chunji had agreed was because he felt a little bit guilty for the other day. He'd left L. Joe to sleep on the lounge, not that the younger boy seemed to care about that fact. He'd awoken early, because of pain in his lower back and went to get some painkillers. He'd heard a noise when he passed through the lounge room, and assumed that he must've woken the other boy up. He'd even had a conversation with the other boy, only to find out later on in the day that L. Joe didn't remember any of it.

 

Apparently, L. Joe talked in his sleep.

 

That time it'd been an accident, but the next night, he'd set out to deliberately get an answer out of L. Joe, while he was asleep. Apparently he'd answer anything that he was asked with no shame and no memory of the incident, so he'd decided to use that to his advantage. While he didn't regret doing it, he did feel guilty for using this secret of L. Joe's against him.

 

But he'd just been so desperate to know what had made L. Joe change his mind about agreeing, wholeheartedly to accept Chunji as his date to the formal. He'd been so desperate to understand why L. Joe seemed so adamant that he wanted to spend time with him, but was so particular about it. He wanted to know if he really was just being used by L. Joe out of convenience, or because the other boy was interested in being friends with Chunji, like Chunji wanted to be friends with him.

 

L. Joe's soft words of explanation, though as cryptic as any other answer L. Joe gave Chunji, were enough to make his heart start racing uncomfortably, and his cheeks flush. “I like you, Chunji.” would reverberate around in his mind, making him giddy and simultaneously fill him with guilt.

 

Knowing full well that he'd been taking advantage of the other boy, Chunji hadn't had the heart to ask him anything else, and swore he wouldn't use L. Joe's sleep talking like this again. Even that wasn't enough to assuage his shame, and so he now found himself agreeing to whatever L. Joe demanded today to try and make it up to him, despite knowing that L. Joe wouldn't realise this was an apology.

 

L. Joe seemed to take Chunji giving him what he wanted as a given; as expected.

 

But he did like him, so at least he didn't have to fell so bad about that, now.

 

- -

 

The following Monday, Chunji received a short, terse text message from L. Joe. The message startled him a little, not having expected it. Surely if L. Joe had left something at the apartment he should have noticed it before he got to school that Monday? Why would he have left a workbook behind, anyway? He was resting everyday; why would he have taken any of his books out of his bag?

 

Still, he couldn't let L. Joe get in trouble for not having it either.

 

He was supposed to be a friend of L. Joe's wasn't he? Just thinking about that fact, reminded him of L. Joe's mumbled words that night, bringing a dash of colour to his cheeks.

 

He parked his car across the street from the school, eyes trained upon the office, while he sat in his car. The school grounds were crawling with children, making Chunji feel nervous. Should he just go over to the office building, like he did the last time he came to this school? He texted L. Joe, to enquire if that was what the other boy wanted him to do or not.

 

His phone lit up almost immediately with a typically sly reply from the younger boy, telling him to go around the opposite side of the school. His heart lurched almost painfully in his chest, as he read those words. He felt like he was doing something bad, even contemplating L. Joe's suggestion.

 

Was he, a college student, really going to sneak into a school so that he can see L. Joe, a high school student?

 

Making his mind up quickly, he started his car, moving round the other side of the school, and parking on the side of the road again. He must've been at the back of the school, he realised, since he was unable to see any students back here.

 

He started walking into the campus, halting at the gate. He felt like he should feel really guilty for doing this. He felt like he was probably doing the wrong thing. He wondered if he'd get into trouble for what he was doing, if he were to get caught.

 

But he forced those thoughts out of his mind when he saw movement in front of him. There was a group of boys, waiting a short distance away, awkwardly following behind the one boy that was pacing towards him furiously. A grin formed on his features, the moment his eyes fell on L. Joe's form.

 

Chunji held out L. Joe's book wordlessly, and L. Joe took it, with a small smirk. His head ducked downwards, his chin pressed, nearly to his chest, to hide it. He didn't thank Chunji for what he'd done. That wasn't his style.

 

Chunji smiled, at the other boys, sheepishly, nodding over in the direction of the other group of boys. “Who're they?” he enquired, lightly, not really wanting to pry and yet dying to know who the boys were. They all appeared to be different ages, but definitely younger than himself. They were all staring at him, in just such a way that made him feel shy and uncomfortable.

 

Had L. Joe told them anything about him? Did they know who he was? Did they think he was as weird and creepy as he felt he was right this moment?

 

“My friends.” L. Joe responded easily. Drawing the guys over with a flick of his wrist. Was he the leader of the group or something? He gestured to each boy naming them, as the boy in question smiled awkwardly, waving and mumbling their hellos. Daniel. Ricky. Changjo.

 

The bell rang, and the other boys shuffled about uncomfortably, clearly wanting to return to their classes. Ricky and Changjo ran off, with Daniel seemingly unsure whether he should leave the two of them alone or not. L. Joe looked as though he wanted to stay, and continue talking to Chunji, but as quickly as Chunji saw that look, it vanished.

 

The two boys waved Chunji good bye as they returned to class. Chunji quickly left the school, still feeling uncomfortable at the realisation that he was in the school grounds when all the students were now in class.

 

He hadn't expected to be meeting L. Joe's friends today. Could that have been L. Joe's real intention when he invited Chunji to the school? Could he have been planning this as a way to introduce them, without things seeming weird? Or did he just want to see him again?