cousin

The You I Know

 

 

Eun Hee stared at the clear blue sky above her. It was early Tuesday morning when she decided to ditch school and hang out at the park. She didn’t feel like going to school, it actually bothers her to see Dongwoo’s friend at school so she decided not to come. “How can he-“ she kept thinking about the words he said to her, pretending to be nice. She lay on the grass under the big tree but then she sat up.

 

“I mean what the heck is wrong with him? It was clearly I was worried about Dongwoo oppa that I asked whether he’s okay. It’s not like I pretend to care, I actually do!” she muttered him frustration. “Boo? Pretending to be nice?” she scoffed and bulked up her fist. “He’s so lucky that I’m the mature EunHee in school. I would have torn him into pieces if I had my chance,” she said and huffed a long sigh.

 

“Stop talking to yourself, people might think you’re crazy,” Myungsoo appeared with a plastic bag full of snacks.

 

“Myungsoo ah~” she whined. “Wait, why aren’t you at school?” she asked as her eyes followed him.

 

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” he said and sat next to her.

 

“You bought snacks,” she cheered happily.

 

He quickly bought the plastic bag close to him. “This is mine. All mine.”

 

“Fine. Eat all of them until you get fat,” she pouted and face the scenery in front of her.

 

He laughed and handed her the strawberry milk. She eyed him for a while before taking it and took a sip. “What are you doing here bytheway?” he asked and took out his banana milk.

 

“Just don’t feel like going,” she said and he nodded.

 

“Now that’s the EunHee I know.”

 

She glanced at Myungsoo whom was busy watching the scenery in front of him. She was glad to have Myungsoo by her side. He would always tell her that everything is fine and he prefered the real her. Sometimes, they bickered about the whole having-a-two-personality-is-not-good-fight but he ended up tolerating with her and she was thankful.

 

‘Come to think of it Myungsoo, you’ll always be there for me,’ she said to herself and smiled at him.

 

Myungsoo realize she was staring at him, but he ignored it and grinned.

 

 

It was finally 9 p.m and Eun Hee waited impatiently for her parents to arrive from America. She has been waiting for a while now and she just can’t wait to meet her parents again. It was last year’s summer when both of their parents told her that they’re going to America to settle things up with her aunt.

 

It was a long story.

 

 “Omma!” EunHee called as the first one she saw was her mother. She was in her mid 40’s but she looked young for her age. EunHee rushed to her and hugged her tightly. “I miss you a lot,” she said and her mother chuckled.

 

“Aigoo, my daughter has gone skinny. How’s Myungsoo?” she asked and EunHee pouted. Her mom always loves Myungsoo, she said he would be a great son-in-law. “He’s not here today?”

 

EunHee shook her head. “He has tuitions,” she answered slowly before shifting her attention to her dad who just came by their side. She gave him a hug. “Welcome back Mr.Park,” she grinned and her dad ruffled her hair.

 

Just then she realized someone stood lazily behind his dad, with his earphone in his ears, looking bored.

 

“Oh EunHee ah, meet your cousin, Sunggyu,” her mother said and tap Sunggyu’s shoulder. He shifted his glance to EunHee and bowed his head. “He’s staying with us for a couple of weeks,” her mom explained.

 

“EunHee imnida,” EunHee bowed, but Sunggyu didn’t look like he was paying attention to her. “Okay,” she whispered and turned her attention to her mom. Asking how’s America and what did they do there. Sunggyu in the other hand, stole a few glance towards his cousin and a small smile crept on his face but he hid it right away.

 

‘It’s going to be a fun trip,’ he said to himself.

 

Myungsoo went to the bakery near the school to buy some cakes for EunHee’s parents. He was planning on visiting them after he finished class. The bell chimed in the whole bakery as he swung open the glass door.

 

“Welcome to Sunset Bakery,” the female waiter exclaimed with a big grin on her face. “Oh? Myungsoo ah,” she said as she realized him.

 

Myungsoo narrowed his eyes. “Minyoung?” he frowned.

 

“Myungsoo!” she yelled and went to give him a hug.

 

“Yah!”

 

“I miss you so much!” she said and snuggled in his arms.

 

“Yah! Yah! Yah!” he shoved her away from him. “What the heck Minyoung,” he said and stared at her in disbelief.

 

She shrugged. “What?”

 

He bit his lips and went to the breads he saw.

 

“Myungsoo ah, how are you? Have you been well? Which school did you went too?” and all of those questions keep darting to him.

 

He abruptly faced her which made her flinch. “Go away Minyoung, I’m trying to buy some bread here,” he said and back to picking some blueberry cheese bread.

 

“But-but, I miss you.”

“The others are watching.”

“I don’t mind.”

“I mind.”

“Myungsoo ah.”

“Boo?”

“Nice to see you again.”

Myungsoo bit his lips and faced her again. But then she grinned.

 

“Saranghae, Kim Myungsoo,” she blurted out which makes Myungsoo looked away in annoyance. “Yah! I just confessed to you,” she said and nudged him.

 

“You said that all the time Minyoung.”

 

She sniffed. “You remembered?” he nodded. “Awh Myungsoo, I’m touched!” she said and tried to hug him again but Myungsoo quickly held her head away from him.

 

“I told you not to do that!” he said.

 

“But I miss you and you don’t know how hard I’ve tried to search for you after middle school ends and I was depressed and and.”

 

“I get the point,” he said. “I get the point that you miss me and all but I’m kinda busy.”

 

She scoffed. “Busy with EunHee?”

 

Myungsoo stared at her. “Yeah. Busy with EunHee,” he said and went to the cashier.

 

“Why do you always hang out with EunHee?” Minyoung pouted.

 

After taking his change from the cashier, he ruffled her hair. “I’ll see you later,” he said and walked out of the bakery.

 

Minyoung’s eyes followed until he disappeared from her vision. She placed her hand on her head. “Myungsoo ah, how I miss you,” she bit her lips and went back to do her work when her manager stood in front of her. “Oh! Sajangnim,” she gulped.

 

He glared at her. “How many times have I said about disturbing our customers?”

 

She fake a laugh but her laugh died when she saw how dead serious he was. “I’m sorry,” she bowed.

 

“I give you one more chance Kang Minyoung. One chance. Take it or leave it,” he said sternly and made his way behind the counter.

 

She sighed in relief. “Phew, that was close.”

 

After a few hours of dance practice, it’s time to head back home and Hoya wished he could get something cold to drink. He was exhausted, tired and thirsty. The only thing he had in mind was to get to the nearest store and buy himself a cold drink.

 

“Hoya!” Dongwoo called as they were about to walk separate ways. Hoya turned to look at his hyung. “If EunHee is still not at school tomorrow, we’ll say it was your fault and you should apologize,” he yelled to him.

 

Hoya looked away. “Bye hyung,” he said and ignored all the yelling Dongwoo spurted out on him.

 

It all started this morning when Dongwoo rushed to his classroom and went all crazy about EunHee being absent in school. He was saying it was all Hoya’s fault for hurting EunHee’s feelings that she didn’t even dare to come to school. But Hoya ignored all of it.

 

As Hoya was walking on the empty street, he saw a familiar figure not too far away from him, walking back and forth. Hoya stopped and saw clearly the clumsy face of EunHee. He ceased his eyebrow. “What do we have here,” he said to himself.

 

EunHee was awkwardly walking back and forth with an ice-cream in hand. She looked at the sky and wobbled a bit with her high heels. She was about to fall when she balanced herself again and looked down to her feet. “Aish,” she cursed. “High heels.” She muttered.

 

It was just then, she saw someone stood in front of her. She looked up and saw the cold hearted Hoya staring sternly at her. 


 A/N: Comments are love <3