Chapter 5: Downfall of a god

Perfect wings

“The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.”  Oscar Wilde

I knew I was no match for him at this point of time. His sincere eyes pierced my heart, his words softened my guts. How could I give in so easily? Don’t make my heart waver, Ji Yong. I couldn’t face the truth, because it’s too ugly to reveal.

“Leave me alone.” I requested weakly. I was in no condition to argue with him, not at the moment.

“Ailsie,” He pleaded.

“Let go, I have to get to work.” I turned to leave for the door. Yet, Ji Yong refused to remove his hands from my wrist. Now, it’s my turn to beg. “Please…”

Ji Yong softened with my teary begs. I wiped away those tears and headed straight for the door. Calm down, Ailsie, no, Liz! Damn it! You are Liz! Get yourself together! Stepping into the outdoors, sun shone harshly and brightly. Was the sun so ever sunny?

I took a glance on my watch: 9.00am. Damn! I’m late!

“I’m sorry!” I yanked open the door to that familiar pastry shop that smells of coffee. The sparkling clean glass counter tops displayed all sorts of pastry – from cakes to pies and tarts and from macaroons to those chewy donuts filled with custard cream. Classic dark wood tables and chairs filled this elegant space, giving off an Old English feel. Anyone who comes in could never bear to leave.

“Good morning!” A handsome face greeted me with a cheerful bright smile. “Are you alright? Breath, Liz.”

“Thanks,” I smiled back, taking a cup of water from the counters. This handsome face I work with single day belonged to Dongwoon, the owner of this classy little café. He’s the owner, pastry chef, waiter, accountant and… Well, he just a “hands-on” person.

“It’s rare to see you being late. Did something happen?” Dongwoon asked in concern as he tied the shop’s customized black half-apron on himself. No uniform was required in this shop, only the half –apron was needed. I threw my bag into the staff locker and braided my hair.

“Hmmm…” Complications were always the hardest to explain. Where should I even begin?

“Don’t overthink, you’re safe and that’s all I need to know.” He soothed the frown on my head with his fingers. I couldn’t help but smile. He’s such an angel.

“Let’s do our best today too! Fighting!” Dongwoon stretched out his fist. Like a daily routine, I bumped his fist back. Working had been part of my life years ago, and studying only in the night. Only in this way, I could survive on my own.

Throughout the day, customers would fill the seats of the café – enjoying and chatting. Well, mostly came for Dongwoon and his delicious dessert. Fan girls drooled over him and at times shot glares at me. While some just in for dessert and a cup of tea.

“I checked all our stock and we are running low on fresh straw berries.” I handed back the stock list to Dongwoon. The café would be closed around evening, which is the perfect time for me to get to school. I used to ask the reason for its early closing. Dongwoon just responded he had something to attend to.

“So, I cleared and packed. I’m off!” I waved as I grabbed my bag.

“Let me send you.” Dongwoon offered.

“It’s alright!” I pushed open the glass door. “See you tomorrow!”

“Ailise,” Ji Yong’s deep voice halted me in my path. My fist clenched, recalling back my anger from this morning. Now, everything was coming back to me. Not even turning, I continued my route to school. He was the last person I want to see right now.

“Ailise,” He called again, tagging along after me. I ignored his presence, pretending we’re like strangers. As I quicken my steps, Ji Yong jogged along.

“Ail…” His faint voice yelled for me, followed by a flop. I whipped my head around to find an unconscious Ji Yong on the hard pavement. Oh my god! What should I do with this guy?! Rushing towards him, I examined him. His black shirt stained with obvious mark of blood. Did his wound open? I lifted him up, supporting his neck with my hands and his upper body on my laps.

“Ji Yong, Ji Yong!” I shook him a little. Colour drained from his face and he looked real bad. As I touched his forehead, it was burning. A wound infection? Ji Yong peeled his eyes open as weakness engulfed him. His cold hands then reached out for me.

“I’m sorry…” He mouthed before fainting out on me.