Chapter 4: Memories from the past

Perfect wings

“I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens.” Woody Allen

Both of us sat on couch with synchronization- staring eyes to eyes, inhaling breath to breath. The truth that really lies within us had to be spelled out, yet none of us was willing to make the first move. Reason being truths usually were ugly facts that no human being want to hear. But Ji Yong wasn’t really human, right…?

Other option: lie.

“I told you my name was Liz and not Ailsie.” I set my foot down.

“Don’t lie. I know everything.”  Ji Yong lips curled into an evil smile.

“There is nothing for you to know because there isn’t ‘anything’ in the first place.” I argued my way out.

“You want to trust me then tell me what you know, Ailsie.” Ji Yong threatened, his eyes burned me. Gosh, what did he know? I bit my lower lips nervously. No, calm down! You can’t just blurt the truth!

“There isn’t ‘things’ you need to know.” I retorted back.

“Interesting… But, you know the magical thing about words? It tells you the truth. You know the difference between the two sentences: ‘nothing for me to know’ and ‘no information for me that I need to know’?” He paused, I frowned at him. What the hell? Was he trying to play scrabble? “You know the information, yet you are not sharing, Ailsie. That’s not very nice of you.”

“I’m not Ailsie!” I yelled back, my patience had reached its limit.

“I wondered if you ever heard of this piece of news before:

Years ago, a large family living in a small town in Athens, Greece disappeared within a night. The head of the family had two wives and twelve children. Rumors had it that the family was visited by the devil one night. One faithful night, a terrible accident happened to the family and a week later, the whole family was gone.”

*Flashback*

“όχι!!!!! (A/N: means no in greek)” Ear splitting scream shook the whole house. My body shot up straight, heart beating hard against the chest. Immediately, I ran down to the second floor where the commotion was all about.

Inside the master bedroom, the wallpaper peeled with crawled words – Ailsie Missildine, 12001212. I gasped, an omen. Rushing into the next room, mother was found hung with a rope. Black veins spread on her face like a spider web, her eyes consumed by darkness. No, this can’t be true. No way!

“Ailsie!” My sister, Penelope shook me. Her eyes searched into mine. She knew, she noticed the light in my eyes. “What do you know?! Tell me!”

“I need the bathroom!” I ran away, from this nightmare. Unlocking myself inside, I buried my head into my hands. I had to leave, I must. No one should be hurt anymore.

“Ailsie! Ailsie! Open up!” Penelope pounded hard on the door, yet no one answered.

*End*

“No!!! Stop!!! Shut up!!! Just shut up!!” I screamed, covering my ears. I squirmed up into a ball, trying to protect myself from the stress. Now, tears could never stop flowing as images of my nightmare. Years and years of effort trying to forget those awful flashbacks, now it’s back with just his sentence.

“What gives you the right to bring up the past?! What does that past have to do with me?! You’re just a stranger! Everything was fine even before you came! Why? Why do you have to remind me it was my fault?! Just why?!” I went berserk with the immerse pressure. Aggravation, dejection and despair filled me up in an instant.

Standing up, I picked up the nearest object throwing it at Ji Yong. Ji Yong swiftly dodged all the items I threw at him. With his agility, he came up to me within seconds, locking my wrist in place. I struggled and fought against his brute strength.

“Tell me what you know.” He said calmly.

“Nothing! I know nothing! Leave me alone!” I twist my wrist in his hands, in attempt to break free.

“No.” Ji Yong denied firmly. I stared at him with my teary eyes that burned with furry.

“Let go.” I said through gritted teeth.

“No.” He held even tighter onto my wrist, his fingers were going to leave bruises on my wrist.

“Why?! Let me live my own life!”

“I can’t! Because you are the answer to everything! You’re the only one who can help me!”

Ji Yong’s eyes softened now, almost to the extent of begging. His deep black eyes flowed with sincerity. I couldn’t help but get lost in those eyes. Help, what sort of help would a god could possibly need from a human being? Aren’t they supposed to possess great powers beyond human’s capability?