Eight.

Bound and Broken

eight.

 

Aurora steps out of the bathroom. Her shower was longer than usual. Besides the fact it was really painful for her to move, her mind was clouded by the fact that she has some major explanation to do. She reminded herself to wear the bra with the front clasp, so she won't get herself into another embarrassing and awkward situation. Aurora is sitting on her bed, trying to towel dry her hair. With her injuries, just doing mundane daily tasks becomes a chore. Just then, she hears a knock on her door.

"Come in," she says. Simon walks into the room. Without saying a word, he takes the towel from her, and starts drying Aurora's hair. He then sits in front of her, held her hand in his, and looks intently into her eyes. "Aurora, why?" Simon asks so tenderly. 

Aurora is mesmerised by Simon's stare. They have been friends for ten years, yet she has never seen his eyes so sad before. Aurora expected Simon to be angry at her, for being so stupid as to hurt herself. Aurora looks at the floor, not knowing how to react. She has been trying to numb herself for so long. She feels something twisting in her stomach. 

Simon puts one hand on Aurora shoulder and said, "You know, you don't have to pretend to be strong all the time. It's ok to cry."

With that sentence, Aurora feels all the walls she built crumble. Her vision becomes blur as tears form in her eyes. Simon quickly pulls her in an embrace. Aurora's back, he said "It's ok. Cry all you want. You've been strong for way too long. I'm sorry I was too blind to see you hurting. Don't control it. Let your tears fall." Aurora can't speak. Neither can she control her tears.

***

Simon tucks Aurora to sleep. She has calmed down, but irregular silent sobs still escapes her tired lips. Simon lays on the couch, his bed for the day. He picks up his phone. 2 new messages.

From Dari:
Yo Dude. How's Aurora? she ok? are you coming home tonight?

He replies to Dari.

Yo Hyung. I think i'll stay over with Aurora tonight.
She's still not very mobile, but otherwise ok.
I'm already on the couch falling asleep.
I'll be back tomorrow.

He looks at the second message. It was from Audrey….


Hey Baby… you've been silent the whole day?
Have you picked your best friend from the hospital yet?

Audrey is a great girl, but at this moment in time, there's only one girl on his mind.

Hey…. Sorry I've been busy. Helping Aurora. I brought her home.
I told you before right, she has no family here…
I'll be staying over her place tonight. She's not mobile yet. I'm just too worried to leave her alone.
Dun worry Audrey, I'm sleeping on the couch. Don't let your mind wander aight?
Get some sleep. I'll call you tomorrow.

Simon puts the phone on the coffee table, and stared at the ceiling. He could hear his phone vibrating. Probably new messages. but he chooses to ignore them.  Aurora told him everything. From the incident 10 yrs ago, to what she's been doing lately to force herself to sleep. Simon was there just after it happened ten years ago. He got the gist of what was happening, but never asked Aurora.

Simon thought to himself. How can a man be so cruel? How can a man do that to a girl who trusts him. That man, that shadow who trapped Aurora in his arms, and robbed 15 yr old Aurora of her innocence was no other than her neighbour. Now he's moved some place else and they've never heard from him. Aurora also told him what happened at the club, and why she overreacted to Dari. 

Simon closes his eyes. A tear escaped his closed lids. Aurora has been through so much hurt. So much so that it's hurting him. Simon want's to protect Aurora. Shelter her from the world, and from the demons within.

***

Audrey has been staring at her phone for a full half hour. She has texted him to ask if she can come over to Aurora's place to help out, but Simon hasn't replied. Audrey knows they are the best of friends, for ten whole years. But she can't help feeling a little jealous…

***

Dari has been tossing and turning for a full hour now. He thought to himself "I should be relieved that Simon's taking care of Aurora right? Aish… Why am I even worried about her? She's nothing to me…. Right?"