ten.

Bound and Broken

ten.

 

Dari gives Audrey his spare helmet.... "Let’s go for a ride" he says.
 

Audrey climbs the bike. It's her first time being a pillion... The feeling is a bit scary at first, but as the speed built up, the fear transforms into adrenalin... And it became exhilarating. With her visor down, Audrey hugs Dari tight. Memories of these 2 months with Simon kept replaying in her head. In her eyes, Simon clearly loved Aurora. Just that Simon hasn't realised it yet...

 

***

 

Dari stops at the riverside. He motions Audrey to sit next to him. "It is none of my business what goes on between Simon and you. But I do care when a girl looks sad. Do you want to tell me what's wrong?"

 

Audrey bit her lip, unsure if this is the right thing to do...

 

***

 

Simon steps into the dorm. He has been barely home nowadays... He has been spending time with Aurora. He goes to see Aurora, before work, after work and during weekends. He only goes home to shower and sleep. Aurora is going to get her cast removed tomorrow. Simon unknowingly smiles to himself. Aurora is more mobile now, but he can't bear to leave her alone. He calls Aurora every free time he has. He worries that Aurora will hurt herself again.

 

"Simon, can I talk to you?" Dari said as he enters Simon and Jeesu's room. Jeesu took that as a signal and excuses himself from the room.

 

"Whaddup hyung?" Simon says casually.

 

"How is Aurora?" Dari asks. Dari has visited Aurora a couple of times with the boys. He knows Aurora is recovering real well.... He just needed something to start the conversation.

 

"Aurora is... Good! She's recovering well, and has mastered the art of doing things with one hand," Simon chuckles.

 

"Then, what about Audrey?" Dari asked again.

 

Simon was at a loss of words. He has forgotten about Audrey. He didn’t even realise that Audrey hasn’t texted him for more than a week.

 

Dari spoke again, "don’t leave her hanging dude. If u don’t love her, tell her. She deserves the truth. I’ve been hanging out with her quite a bit. U can be mad at me, but I don’t care. She's a nice girl. She needs some TLC too."

 

"But I do like her, hyung...” Simon says...hesitantly.

 

"Not even a quarter of the love u feel for Aurora," Dari interrupted. "Do the right thing Simon. Don't leave her hanging. The truth is the best. Even if it hurts."

 

 ***

 

"Coming!!!!" Aurora yelled from the bedroom. She walks over and opens the front door.

 

"Hi Unnie..." Audrey greets her shyly.

 

"AUDREY!!! Come on in. I haven’t seen you in a while. I told Simon to bring you when he come visit, but he never" Aurora said as she motions Audrey to take the seat in the couch.

 

"Unnie, do you love Simon?"

 

Aurora was taken aback by the sudden question. She sits down next to Audrey and took her hand using her good arm. "Audrey, what's wrong? I thought everything is well between you and Simon?"

 

"No Unnie. It’s not. I realised it’s always me texting him first. And when I didn’t text him for a whole week, he never even bothers to text me," Audrey blurted out. She is not even angry anymore.

 

"Audrey, I’m so sorry. I told him to spend more time with you. I didn't mean to keep him away from you." Aurora said trying not to sound like she was defending herself. With Simon around, it distracted her from negative thoughts. And she has to admit, having Simon around made it less lonely....

 

"Unnie, do you love Simon?" Audrey asks again.

 

Aurora can’t avoid the question anymore. “Yes Audrey. It will be a lie if I said I don't love him. I’ve grown to love him these 10yrs. But he will never see me as a woman. Look at me. I’m one of them. I’m tomboyish and rough. I have never wanted a romantic relationship with Simon or with any guy in fact... After all that has happened.... And I know Simon loves you. I know him. You're his type. Cute, feminine, strong willed and honest..."

 

"After WHAT happened?" Audrey interrupted.

 

Aurora sighed. Audrey deserves to know the truth. "I was , Audrey... 10 yrs ago. Simon found me. Broken. And  he saved me from myself more than once. I can never be involved romantically with a man. I freak out when guys touch me gently, or look at me with lust. I freak out and I am reminded of that moment.... That's why I think I can never be romantically involved with a man."

 

Audrey was dumbfounded. She never expected to hear that from Aurora. She seems so strong. Now she is beginning to understand why Simon is so protective of Aurora.

 

"Maybe that's why Simon keeps me company day and night. He is afraid I might hurt myself again. I’m sorry Audrey. I shouldn't keep him from you. I will tell him to stop coming and focus on you....." Aurora continues.

 

"No Unnie. You need him more than I do. And Simon loves you too. I’m the one being selfish. I will survive without him Unnie..." Audrey replies. She can only imagine what trauma Aurora has gone through. Dari's speculation was right. They need each other. They just haven't realised it yet.

 

"What are u saying Audrey?" Aurora says trying to make sense of the situation.

 

"Unnie, please let Simon love you... Promise me that. And be strong ok? Don’t worry about me." Audrey gives a sincere smile to Aurora.

 

She thought she will be angry after speaking to Aurora, but instead she feels much better.

 

***