Episode VIII: Provocation.

Aegis

 

Geez. I can't wait to get out of this bed already, Taeyeon mused as she looked out her window. It was still early -- if Tiffany permitted her to move about, she'd be in the practice room, training. Her fingers played with the shaft of light that sifted through the billowing curtains, making patterns on her face. She remembered doing it a lot as a kid. She would lie down underneath a tree and let the sun waft her skin. Her hand was still outstretched when Tiffany entered, carrying a tray of food in her hands.
 
"Rise and shine. I made breakfast for you.", she said as she set the food on the small table beside the window. Tiffany started arranging portions of the food on a plate but Taeyeon interrupted her.
 
"It's okay, Fany-ah. I can just get up and eat there.", she said, smiling at the beautiful angel that have always greeted her every morning. Of course, the other girl protested.
 
"But you have to rest, Taeyeon-ah.", Tiffany answered with her back turned against her patient.
 
"Trust me. I'm all patched up now, my sweet Fany-ah." Tiffany heard a loud swooshing noise as Taeyeon threw her blanket in the air. She spun around only to find Taeyeon jump out of the bed in one swift movement. In a flash, Taeyeon's right arm was already wrapped around her waist and her right wrist was trapped in Taeyeon's firm grasp. Taeyeon gave her a small tug, eliminating the distance between their faces. She felt Taeyeon's breath fanning her lips. "See?", Taeyeon said, her voice raspy.
 
She didn't give Tiffany a chance to answer. Taeyeon kissed her with so much passion that the other girl couldn't do anything but cling to her, to that kiss, as if her life depended on it. Tiffany felt her knees grow weak. She wrapped her arms around Taeyeon's neck and kissed her deeper. It didn't take long before a low moan escaped from Tiffany's throat.
 
"Tae-Tae... The others might see us." Tiffany said in a low voice as she broke off. Her breathing was ragged.
 
Taeyeon rested her forehead on Tiffany's. Just like the other girl, she had trouble catching her breath. "You can drive anyone to destruction, Fany-ah." She gave Tiffany a kiss on the forehead and went on to the table. "That was payback for suddenly kissing me before, by the way.", she said with a mischievous smile.
 
***
 
"Unnie, Sica and I'll be going out, okay?", Yuri said as she shouldered her bag. She took Jessica's hand and waved a small goodbye. The two girls who were eating breakfast waved back. Im Yoona, you better do your work well, Taeyeon thought as she saw the girls leave.
 
"Those two are always together. Inseparable, even. Not to mention that they're always out.", Taeyeon said as she served herself some rice.
 
"Ah. Yuri and Jessica have been together ever since childhood. They came from the same orphanage so... And that's where they usually go. If Jessica doesn't drag Yuri to go off shopping, they're usually at the orphanage helping the nuns.", Tiffany explained patiently as she spread some jam on her toast. "And Seohyun's at her university, in case you're wondering."
 
"Oh? I got the impression that, you know, you guys were siblings.", Taeyeon feigned innocence. Of course, her statement was a lie. The 244 given to her by Sooyoung before the mission had every little detail about the Subjects. In reality, Tiffany's only sibling was Seohyun. Taeyeon's employer, their father, was a business mogul who owns a chain of companies and runs the biggest biomedical research facility in the country. With his powerful grasp at the Korean economy, he had various connections and exerted influence on a variety of fields, including politics. Although it is not a lie that Tiffany's father was in need of a Guardian, Taeyeon's "application" was merely a cover for her true mission.
 
"Oh, no.", Tiffany said as she took a bite on her toast. "Seohyun's my only true sibling among the girls. But still, I love them like they're my true sisters. Sunny was adopted by father when I was 12. She's a bit all over the place but she's a really good kid.", she continued as she finished her toast.
 
As they were cleaning up the dishes, they saw Sunny running past their open door.
 
"YAH! Sunny-ah! Where are you going?", Taeyeon called after her.
 
"I'm off to see Sooyoung-ah~!", her voice trailed off as she went out the door and out of sight.
 
Wait. "Sooyoung-ah"? Chief Sooyoung? Of the SSP? Taeyeon was utterly bewildered. Sooyoung is meeting Sunny? What on earth is Chief thinking? Maybe I should give her a call later. Taeyeon's questions were interrupted by Tiffany's voice.
 
"Taeyeon-ah, can I ask you something?", the husky voice said, a bit shyly, as she set down the plates on the sink.
 
"Of course."
 
"Uhm. Remember when you saved us from those bad people? The Veloster...exploded, right? Do you have any idea why?"
 
Taeyeon paused to think, crossing her arms across her chest. "Well, I figured the impact it had when it landed damaged it somewhere. It may have caused a spark that's why it exploded. Yoona told me otherwise, though. She said the police couldn't pinpoint the cause of the explosion."
 
Tiffany took a step towards Taeyeon and took the other girl's right hand. She held it out so that the mark was facing the agent's face. "I saw this back then, Taeyeon-ah. Just for a split second but I'm sure it was this mark. The Veloster passed through it and it exploded."
 
As if by fire, Taeyeon retracted her hand from Tiffany's grasp. "But... That's impossible.", Taeyeon said with a confused and fearful look in her eyes.
 
"Taeyeon-ah... What is this mark on your hand? What does it mean? I want to know, Taeyeon-ah. I want to know everything."
 
------------------------------------------
 
And another chapter ends. -keke- I figured I should make a chapter where some background info of the Subjects were laid out so, I made this! My apologies if it bored you to death but, yeah, a show is not complete without kisses and flashbacks so... Oh, yeah! Watch out for the next chapter 'cause it'll take you to Taeyeon's past. Wiiiiih~ Plus, it's going to be my longest chapter to date. -keke-
 
As always, leave your lines in the comment box down yonder. ^^