Episode XIII: Encounter

Aegis

 

 
Amidst the semi-darkness of the Orison Sanctuary and the glaring light of the aqua blue circles that formed her cage, Tiffany couldn't see what was happening very clearly. She knew that the battle was over but she did not know what had happened to the Jailbirds. Unconsciously, a part of her didn't really want to know. She felt a sudden stillness envelope the room. She heard Taeyeon's slow footsteps coming closer until, suddenly, it stopped. The agent stood in front of her, on the other side, her hand resting on the barrier's wall. Tiffany was about to come near when she saw the blood dripping from the other girl's hand. Without thinking, she took a step back, burying herself deeper into the barrier. She did not know what expression she wore as she backed away but the pain that flashed through the agent's face was enough to make her stop.
 
Taeyeon-ah. My Tae-Tae. She wanted to get out of that barrier. She wanted to hug her and kiss her, tell her everything's going to be all right and that she will always be with her.  She wanted everything over so they can just go back to the way they once were, to the life they once had. She was about to take a step forward when a female voice reverberated across the room.
 
"As expected of the Child of the Walpurgis." That voice. I... I know that voice.
 
Tiffany couldn't clearly make out the silhouette in the darkness but she heard the footsteps inch closer. She saw a circle of green light which then disappeared after a moment into that dark oblivion. Just as Taeyeon did, she heard the sound of rustling foil and caught the smell of chocolate. Like a bolt of lightning, it hit her. In a small voice, Tiffany called out.
 
"Hyoyeon-ssi? Is that... Is that you?"
 
***
 
Tiffany's voice caught the Children of the Walpurgis off guard.
 
"You know her?", Taeyeon asked, the disbelief in her voice impossible to miss.
 
"Yeah. How d'ya know me?", Hyoyeon echoed, taking a bite at her chocolate.
 
The Subject chose to address her Guardian. "Well, I've only seen her once in Father's office. She works there. She's a researcher in one of the departments. I remember her because...well, because she gave me chocolate.", Tiffany explained almost embarrassingly.
 
The woman named Hyoyeon laughed. Her voice echoed within the room, making it sound ten times louder. "Oh, so you were that girl, eh? Hmyeah. Now that I think about it... Hm." Another bite.
 
"What is the meaning of this, Hyoyeon-ssi? Why are you... Why are you going against Father's company?", Tiffany asked, her voice trembling slightly.
 
***
 
Taeyeon felt the fluctuation in Tiffany's Presence as her voice trembled. The message was clear: move in amidst the distraction. Taeyeon contracted her ki, doing her best to keep it hidden, as she stealthily followed Hyoyeon's presence.
 
Again, Tiffany's voice rang inside the room. "Why are you out to get us? Didn't you work for Father before? Why are you leading those bad people?"
 
Hyoyeon took a bite on her chocolate slab, never leaving her position. "Your wonderful Father, little miss, was out to dispose me off, ya know. 'You're a failed trigger, Hyoyeon-ah!'", she said, mimicking the voice of Tiffany's father. "He put me through so much hardship after those experiments and now he's just gonna throw me away? Ha. As if I'd let him."
 
"You're a trigger too?", the girl inside the barrier asked.
 
"Ha! 'Too'? What do you mean 'too'? Didn't your Father tell you? You're not a trigger, little miss. You're the legendary energy source itself. You're the Jewel."
 
Taeyeon moved in. Coming in from behind, she aimed for a strike on Hyoyeon's neck. Without moving an inch, Hyoyeon blocked the blade from Taeyeon's knuckles with her chocolate, making it crumble in half. "It seems like even our little SSP agent here was misinformed." She bent down to pick up the other half that fell on the floor. "Tsk. Now look what you've done."
 
The agent took a step back. "What do you mean Fany's the Jewel?! And how... How did you know I'm SSP?", she asked without letting down her guard.
 
"'Fany', I see. Well, just as I said, your beloved Fany-ah is the energy source that her Father has been wanting all his life to exploit. Mr. Hwang had always been enchanted by this old folklore ever since he was a kid, which was why he made himself filthy rich enough to establish his own lab. It's your lab so you're free to do anything in it, right? And considering your Father's influence, little miss, no one ever bothered looking into his lab's operations -- both real and secret. Unfortunately, though, he wasn't making any progress in his research. Until the day you were born, that is." 
 
"Then what about the other triggers? Aren't they supposed to activate the Jewel?", Taeyeon asked.
 
"Hm. So the SSP knows as much. Yep, that's correct. In reality, I'm the Primordial Trigger, Taeyeon-ah. I was the first reactor her Father sought as I was born during the Walpurgisnacht, the same as you. However, since miss Fany here and I didn't really click, her Father decided implanting my genes to other samples in the hopes that the bonding would produce the perfect Trigger. The bonding process were all successful considering how advanced the lab was but still, he failed. So he decided to search for other Children. He had his eyes on you but the SSP was faster. And to answer your other question...", she paused, taking a bite from her chocolate. "How can you forget me, Taeyeon-ah. I burned your village years ago, remember? And now, excuse me while I take that little caged bird there with me.", Hyoyeon said as she took a step forward.
 
It only took a split second for Taeyeon to move. "Triple Accel." In a flash, the agent closed the distance between herself and Hyoeyeon. She proceeded on a frontal attack, gathering her ki on both fists while, at the same time, concentrating the Walpurgis energy on them. An aqua blue circle encircled her wrists as she pelted Hyoyeon with her attacks.  She felt Tiffany's presence behind her inching closer.
 
No. I can't let her get close to Tiffany at whatever cost. Hyoyeon deftly blocked every attack that she threw as she took her slow steps towards the Jewel. Without taking her eyes off her target, Taeyeon clasped her hands and slammed her palms onto the ether. Walls of swirling blackness rose from the floor, making its way towards Hyoyeon.
 
"Tsk. How annoying." The other girl raised her hands, letting them meet the two walls about to crush her. Like fingers poking on a cake, her hands melted the semi-invisible walls. "You really won't let me take her peacefully, will you, Taeyeon-ah?", Hyoyeon said, stopping in her tracks. "Alright. I guess I'd have to play with you around for a bit. I've got plenty of time." Hyoyeon crouched down, placing her hand on the floor. Numerous green circles appeared on the dark below and from them emerged what seemed like Hyoyeon holograms to Taeyeon.
 
"Hm. It's been a while since I used Primal Copies. Let's begin.", Hyoyeon muttered as she broke out into a run towards the agent.
 
***
 
Tiffany had never felt so helpless all her life. She stood inside the glowing blue barrier, unable to do anything but watch as Taeyeon risked life and limb to protect her. The fear inside her was palpable. A woman's tears are her jewel, she thought as she fought back the wetness forming in her eyes. 
 
From the pale light the barrier was casting inside the Sanctuary, she saw multiple Hyoyeons emerge from green circles on the floor. Taeyeon conjured multiple circles in retaliation, summoning what seemed to Tiffany like hordes of butterflies from them. Their soundless flight engulfed the room and in an instant, the Hyoyeon copies vanished. Sparks of blue and green flew as the Children of the Walpurgis fought, one to attain the Jewel and the other to protect it. Suddenly, a pair of smoky, luminiscent green eyes appeared from the darkness. A large green circle, almost taking up the whole blackness below, appeared directly below Tiffany's feet, making Taeyeon's barrier flicker for a split-second.
 
***
 
Caked with sweat and blood, Taeyeon felt herself slowly reaching her limit. No. I cannot let this end like this. Uncle, what am I supposed to do?, she thought as she tried to sense her opponent's next move. Even her proximity sense was almost failing her now. She took a quick step forward but was halted by a pair of long, thin, green arms emerging from below.
 
"I'll be taking your precious Jewel now, Taeyeon-ah", Hyoyeon said with a sneer as her eyes glowed a menacing green. Now unencumbered, she buried her hands deep into the black ether. Taeyeon's eyes widened as she saw an enormous Summoning circle appear from beneath Tiffany's feet. Her senses tingled as she felt the massive power coming from it.
 
Hyoyeon's voice came out in a whisper. "Come forth."
 
A cloud of smoke appeared beneath Tiffany's feet as a clawed appendage sprang forth from it. The large hand clasped the screaming girl tight enough to not let her get away but not to get her killed. Slowly, the whole arm came out, followed by a shoulder and a head of what seemed to be long, black hair. Taeyeon watched in terror as the figure emerged from the circle, its glowing red eyes staring threateningly at her. The agent struggled from her spot but was unable to move.
 
Taking her slow steps, Hyoyeon made her way towards the dark, towering demon who held the terrified Jewel. She traced a finger along Tiffany's jaw and rested her finger on the other girl's chin. "I finally have you, my precious Jewel." She turned towards the struggling agent. "I'll be going now, Taeyeon-ah. Send my regards to the SSP." She extended her hand and a circle appeared. From its center, a pinpoint hole appeared which grew to a size enough for them to fit in. Hyoyeon took a step forward when a horde of blue butterflies appeared from within the circle, deactivating it.
 
"DID YOU THINK I'D JUST LET YOU GET AWAY THAT EASILY?!" Taeyeon's voice reverberated inside the room which seemed to amplify it a hundredfold.
 
What...What is this?!, Hyoyeon thought as she struggled to cover her ears. She saw the tiny circles strewn across the Sanctuary which acted like amplifiers. Her summon, which still held Tiffany, flickered slightly before letting out a flaming red ball towards the agent.
 
"LET TIFFANY GO!" Taeyeon concentrated Walpurgis energy onto her legs and feet, cutting the bonds that Hyoyeon summoned to keep her still. She transferred the same energy to her brass knucles, giving them a slight blue glow. Taeyeon breathed in and, upon opening her eyes, the aqua blue blaze was back. In a single breath, she muttered, "Hex Accel." In a flash, she was  out of the spot even before the demon's projectile reached her. Using her voice as a distraction, she attacked.
 
In one bound, she was already between Hyoyeon and the demon. Using the other girl as leverage, she leaped into the air, swung her arm and cut the demon's arm with one, clean swing. The creature's shrill wail, amplified by Taeyeon's circles, echoed within the room. The agent deftly caught Tiffany before she hit the ground and placed some distance between her and her captors, summoning a small barrier for her. She was about to turn back when she heard the other girl whisper. 
 
"Taeyeon-ah, please...Please don't let the power...take over you." The agent gave a small nod and faced the Summon who was making its way towards her. She held out her hand and her butterflies, which were fluttering quietly about, gathered before her palm. The wavering blue lights congealed together into a long, thin katana, almost twice the length of Taeyeon's arm. The agent took a swing, sizing it up, before breaking into a run. Let's end this quickly, she thought as she took the situation at hand. Her stamina was almost hitting zero -- she cannot hold out much longer. Besides, prolonging the battle will endanger Tiffany more. She took a deep breath, catching Hyoyeon attempting another Summon from the corner of her eye. "Deca Accel."
 
She was but a blur. In one swing, the demon was sliced cleanly in half. It gave one final shriek before dissolving into hissing, black vapor. Without effort, she went through the demon towards Hyoyeon, stopping the blade just inches from her neck. It was Tiffany's voice inside her head that stopped her. Taeyeon-ah, please...Please don't let the power...take over you. She stood up, buried the blade into the ether in front of her opponent while casting an Immobilization Circle at the same time.
 
A point of blinding white light seemed to pour forth from where the katana was. From a small point of light it spread out into the whole Orison Sanctuary until what was once a dense black room became an ethereal, blinding white. Taeyeon took a step back and 8 blue Walpurgis Circles appeared around Hyoyeon, who could simply watch in terror. She knew what was going to come.
 
The agent clasped her hands and gathered all the white light into each of the circles. Slowly, tall, hooded figures of pure white began to emerge from the circles, their pale shadows looming over the trapped Jailbird within. In a whisper, Taeyeon commanded. "Purge." The figures began to spin slowly around Hyoyeon, their soft drone being echoed by the Amplification Circles that were still inside the room. As the figures went around her, Hyoyeon felt hypnotized as the black and the white seemed to merge before her eyes. Her pupils dilated as she felt some strong force being pulled out of her.
 
"TAEYEON-AH! You...You can't do this to me!", she screamed in desperation.
 
The agent remained silent for a while until she said. "Be thankful I did not take your life. I could've killed you then and there a while ago."
 
The Purging Circle had begun to take effect. As the hooded figures accelerated around Hyoyeon, smoking green light began to ooze out from her. It rose above her head and gathered into a tight ball. After a few minutes and the smoke could ooze out no more, Hyoyeon fell into a heap on the floor. The hooded figures took the floating green orb and disappeared into the Walpurigis Circles from whence they came from.
 
***
 
All has been settled. Tiffany was safe and Hyoyeon, at least for the time being, will remain unconscious for a couple of days. It's over, Taeyeon thought as she turned around and took a step towards her beloved Jewel.
 
***
 
Tiffany saw everything from where she was. She watched as Taeyeon sliced through the demon. She watched as the hooded figures purged the Walpurigis Energy from Hyoyeon. She watched as the girl slumped unto the ether, unconscious and unmoving. She watched Taeyeon as she turned around and took a step towards where she was. She watched, with a gasp, as she saw Taeyeon's legs gave way and the agent, who had always been so alert and adept, now fell face down, slowly and without resistance, like a leaf falling from its branch. Without a sound, she watched as her Guardian lay unmoving on the floor. Taeyeon's blue barrier, which separated her from everything all this time, gave a soft flicker and was gone.
 
***
 
Slowly, Tiffany stood up, her eyes locked onto that one person she cared for the most in the world. "Tae-Tae..." Her voice came out in a whisper but there was no response. "T-Taeyeon-ah, don't...don't play around like that." But still, there was nothing. She started to feel a stinging sensation behind her eyes. She took a step closer towards the unmoving agent. The Sanctuary had returned to its original blackness as if they hadn't been there in the first place. No Jailbirds, no luminous green Circles, no berserking demon, no fluttering butterflies and aqua blue Circles. It was just herself and the two bodies in the middle of the shifting darkness. 
 
Tiffany called out as she walked closer. "Taeyeon-ah. Is this...Is this payback for what I did...a while ago? I was afraid, yes, but that... that was just for a second." She was answered by silence. "Taeyeon-ah! G-Get up already! It...It's not...It's not funny anymore!" Tiffany was fighting back tears. She knew, at this point, that she was just fooling herself, consoling herself. "TAEYEON-AH!" She can't possibly believe that this is happening. She can't possibly just accept...
 
Finally, she stopped, the soles of her rubber shoes, which never made a sound in that place, a few inches above Taeyeon's head. Her eyes were blurred with tears as she crouched down and turned her Guardian over. She wiped her tears with the back of her hand and finally saw Taeyeon clearly: battle-stricken, her clothes torn in places, wounded, bruised, blood caking her hands which were soft but cold as ice. All this...for me. Tiffany forced herself to speak, hoping that her voice could rouse the agent. 
 
"Taeyeon-ah... Let's go home now. O-open your eyes." Tiffany took the agent's head on her lap as tears started pouring down from her eyes without reserve. She hugged the other girl tightly as waves of grief shook her to the core. No. I can't lose you, Taeyeon-ah. This can't be happening. The tears nor the pain did not stop as she hugged the girl tightly, rocking softly to the rhythm of her sobs.
 
"TAEYEON-AAAAAH!" She let out a scream. But it was only the silent, shifting darkness that heard her.
 
-----------------------------------------------
 
Pwah! Finally able to breathe after that loooong chapter. OTL Was mulling over whether to cut it or not but decided to go all out. -ke- So, what d'ya guys think? Also, there you have it -- Chocolate Girl's been revealed. XDDDD Leave your comments below, as always~