Episode VII: Chimera.

Aegis

 

Taeyeon found herself sitting on a solitary chair in the dark. She tried to look around but she could make out nothing. She knew her eyes were open but it was as if all the darkness in the world were collected and compressed into that single space, transforming it into an endless nothingness. She stood up and took a careful step. A silent ripple formed beneth her foot, spreading outward until everything was once again still.
 
"Water?" Her whisper echoed in the vast darkness. She took another step forward -- or at least what she deemed as forward. Suddenly, a point of light appeared in front of her. It grew brighter and brighter still until Taeyeon had to shield her eyes before being swallowed by it. She opened her eyes and found herself in the middle of a meadow. A gust of wind whipped her hair to her cheeks. She ventured out.
 
Below the meadow was the view of a small town, its small houses dotting the scenery like the back of a ladybug. The villagers were exhanging conversations as they passed each other on the road while the children played and ran about. Another gust of wind blew and Taeyeon was transported right smack in the middle of the village.
 
It was burning. Everything was burning down to the ground. Taeyeon felt the heat on her face as she turned around, bewildered, afraid. Screams shot through the air as ash and debris streaked the scenery. She saw as the villagers ran while their bodies burned, howling one last scream of agony before falling down and dying. She began to run.
 
"Taeyeon-ah..."
 
A voice. A familiar voice.
 
"Taeyeon-ah..."
 
"Fany-ah!"
***
 
Tiffany has been sitting beside Taeyeon after all this time. She refused to leave, even if the other girls volunteered in watching over their Guardian. She knew that all of them were worried and that they somehow felt responsible for what happened to her, but she felt like it was the least she could do after Taeyeon saved them. That, and she wanted to be there when Taeyeon opens her eyes.
 
This time, it was Seohyun who accompanied her in the room. She was busy talking with someone on the phone when they heard a groan coming from Taeyeon. It was the first sign of movement -- or sound -- that Taeyeon made after she fell unconscious. Tiffany hurriedly went to her and whispered her name. 
 
"Taeyeon-ah..."
 
Still, Taeyeon groaned almost like she was in pain. Her head turned a bit to the side as if she was looking at something. Without her even being aware of it, tears began to stream down Tiffany's face. "Taeyeon-ah..."
 
"Fany-ah!" Taeyeon's eyes flew open. Before she could even react, Tiffany had already wrapped her arms around Taeyeon and was crying her heart out. "W-What happened?"
 
"I--I was so worried you wouldn't w-wake up anymore, Tae-Tae! I thought... I thought I was never going to see you again.", Tiffany choked in between sobs. She was crying so hard her shoulders were shaking, soaking Taeyeon's shirt with her tears.
 
Taeyeon untangled herself from the other girl's embrace. She searched for Tiffany's face and held it in front of her. Very gently, she wiped the wet streaks with her thumb and combed the other girl's disheveled hair. She placed her hands on Tiffany's cheeks and looked at her straight in the eyes. Tiffany was still crying, albeit a little less violently than before.
 
"Fany-ah. I told you I'd protect you, didn't I. I told you I'd protect all of you. I promised that to myself.", she said as she wiped the tears that continued to flow. "How can I continue protecting you, all of you, if I let myself die just like that?", she said reassuringly.
 
Tiffany gave her another tight hug which she received with all the longing and happiness she could muster. Taeyeon patted her back gently as she whispered, "Save your tears, Fany-ah. Somebody once told me that a woman's tears are her jewel. Besides, it pains me to see you cry."
 
***
 
The Subjects were all surrounding the bed by now, happy that their Guardian has awakened. After a grueling round of being crushed by the girls' hugs, Taeyeon finally found some time to sit up quietly without the fear of being pelted again with actions of affection.
 
"Unnie, you've been asleep for three days, you know. We were all so worried.", Seohyun told her before going out to answer the door.
 
"Three days?", she gave Tiffany a confused look; she nodded. "But... I don't... What happened?"
 
It was Tiffany who answered. "Remember the day when we were followed by two cars? The moment you set our bags down when we arrived here at the house, you collapsed. That was three days ago."
 
"And you've been asleep ever since. I had to carry you up here you know. That was no easy feat.", Yuri chimed in as she peeled an apple for Taeyeon. Jessica nodded while she and Sunny kept on stealing the slices that Yuri peeled.
 
Just then, Seohyun came back. "Unnie, someone's here to see you."
 
Im Yoona's grinning face appeared from behind her.
 
***
 
Yoona set down a basket of fruits on Taeyeon's bedside table. It was just the two of them now as she requested the Subjects to leave the room for a while. The Genie got a chair and made herself comfortable beside the agent.
 
"Those are from Sooyoung-unnie, by the way.", she said, gesturing towards the fruits. "She was with us during the operation three days ago. She sends her apologies for our...inefficiency." Yoona handed Taeyeon some blueberries.
 
"It's fine. I can't blame you for that. We were ambushed.", she said as she popped a blueberry in . "What does HQ say about all this?"
 
"Nothing much. Sooyoung-unnie's taking the brunt of the higher ups' blame. She says you're her responsibility and all that. Oh yeah, and I made this report of what happened three days ago, just in case you want it.", she handed over a brown envelope.
 
Taeyeon chuckled. "I didn't expect you to make a report without me telling you to."
 
"YAH! Unnie. I can be professional at times to, ya know." She leaned in close so that Taeyeon could hear. "Unnie, they don't know you're part of the SSP, do they?"
 
"No, they don't. They only know that I'm a Guardian so my skills won't appear as suspicious. But they have no idea I am SSP.", Taeyeon answered while her eyes scanned the report. Her gaze landed on the account about the Veloster's explosion. "Yoona, are you sure this report is accurate?"
 
Yoona raised her head. "Of course, Unnie. You dare doubt the Genie's accuracy?", she said wide-eyed.
 
Taeyeon couldn't help but ask that question. Written on the report before her was something she couldn't understand. She thought of a possibility but, apparently, she was mistaken. 
 
"Veloster explosion: Cause unknown."
 
---------------------------------------
 
Since my brain died writing all that action in the previous chapter, I just wanted to write something where they just, ya know, talk. And sit down. And stand up. Basically minimum movements. XDD So how are you liking things so far? Feel free to share your thoughts. ^^