Episode VI: Disturbance.

Aegis

 

Tiffany did not miss the change in Taeyeon's face. She could not miss it even if she wanted to; she was right beside the driver's seat. She watched, with a worried expression on her face, as Taeyeon took a pair of black leather gloves from the dashboard and wore them. Her grip on the steering wheel tightened.
 
"Everyone, fasten your seat belts, please. You too, Fany-ah. And please, keep quiet.", she ordered, looking at the rearview mirror. The Subjects felt uneasy and squirmed in their seats. She returned her attention to Yoona who was still on the line.
 
"Number and location?"
 
"Two. A Bentley and a Veloster, both black. Incoming from either side of the intersection after the bridge. ETA to your location in approximately five minutes. I'm still on the road, Unnie. I'll go and back you up."
 
"Copy that. Thanks." Taeyeon made a quick, sideways glance to Tiffany who was sat closes to her. "And take Sanitation with you." Taeyeon fished out a pocket pistol from her bag. Good thing I requested for one of these the day before. Perfect for outdoor...engagements. Gun, you know I hate you, but I have to use you. They were already halfway across the bridge. She spotted her target. "Fany-ah, Yuri-ah, Jessica-ssi, Sunny-ssi, Seohyun-ah, listen carefully. I want you all to duck when I tell you to. Is that clear?" The girls at the back seat were scared but they nodded. Fany held onto Taeyeon's arm and gave it a slight squeeze.
 
"Taeyeon-ah..."
 
"I'm going to protect all of you, Fany-ah. I'll protect you. I'll make sure that we're all going home safe."
 
Tiffany nodded and braced herself.
 
***
 
The car was nearing the bridge's end. 
 
Taeyeon drove as normally as possible until they got close enough to the intersection. If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles, went the old adage. Taeyeon unlocked the door on her side. She tried to pick up the Presence in the two cars while examining the road. It was a Sunday. Three? No, two men in the Bentley and... Two in the Veloster. More cars from the incoming lane than the sides. Considering my position... Precision and speed. She pressed down on the gas and took a left turn to where the Bentley was. The tires screeched at the sudden acceleration. 
 
"Fany-ah, mind the wheel for a while. Sustain the speed and keep yourself as low as possible." As the car neared the Bentley, Taeyeon repositioned herself in the driver's seat. She held the gun in her right hand and the door in her left, ready to open it at the right moment. The Bentley began inching closer onto the car, almost eliminating the space for Taeyeon's plan to work.
 
A single miscalculation will cost us our lives. The Bentley was within range. Before it leveled with their car, Taeyeon yelled, "Duck!". In one swift, calculated motion she opened the car door just enough for half her body to slip through. Keeping herself as close to the ground as possible, she aimed.
 
One. The front wheels made a loud boom as Taeyeon's bullet connected. The Bentley gave a slight jolt, causing a slight and sudden panic. The moment's hesitation was all the time space that Taeyeon needed.
 
Two. She shot the back wheel just in time before the Bentley passed them, sending the car swerving uncontrollably into the sidewalk. Taeyeon saw a leg come out of the car. Jailbirds.
 
Three. The leg gave way, causing the man to stumble. His companion was already going around the Bentley.
 
Four. It is done.
 
As swiftly and as quietly as she went out and took care of their tailers, Taeyeon closed the door, put down the pistol and grabbed the wheel. She pressed a button in her ear piece.
 
"Yoona, the Veloster. Where is it."
 
"Still tailing. Although all that wreckage you did slowed it down somewhat. We'll be coming in east of where you are now, Unnie. Take a right and we'll cover for you."
 
"Copy." She made a quick glance at the rearview mirror. "Is everyone okay? Fany-ah...?"
 
"I'm okay." "We're fine, Unnie." "No worries." "We trust you." "Beat 'em to a pulp!"
 
I'm definitely taking you all home safe and sound, Taeyeon thought as she took a right.
 
***
 
The chase seemed endless to Taeyeon. She wouldn't know what to do if they didn't make it out of the Bentley alive. Checking the rearview mirror from time to time, she made sure that the Veloster was not behind them, or is, at least, at a safe distance. She was drawing a mental map of the city when her ear piece beeped.
 
"Unnie! We got intercepted! A band of Jailbirds -- YAH! -- A band of Jailbirds caught wind of our arrival and -- Ah, jinjja -- tracked us down. I don't think I'd be able to -- ugh -- cover for you."
 
Taeyeon angrily removed the ear piece and slammed it onto the dashboard. This is not happening. She turned the car to a corner when out of nowhere, she saw the Veloster flying from an alley at the other side of the road. At the rate it was going, Taeyeon was sure that it would crash into their car. No.
 
***
 
Tiffany could've sworn she saw a flash of light from Taeyeon's hand as it grabbed the hand break. She watched as the other girl expertly maneuvered the steering wheel and then, as if time slowed down after that flash, Taeyeon drifted the car out of the Veloster's way. Flooring the gas but not letting go of the break, Taeyeon made a cloud of exhaust to cover their escape. Her eyes never left the road before her; it was as if she was seeing nothing else. It was as if...
 
She's not the same Taeyeon that I know. I've... I've never seen Taeyeon-ah this serious before. Again another flash -- very faint, very small, like the glint of a coin hit by the sun. And then, just for a split second, Tiffany saw a large aqua blue circle appear in front of the car, floating in the middle of the road. She looked at the rearview mirror to see if the other girls saw the circle but they were all hugging each other for comfort. She looked behind to see the Veloster recovering from the skid it took from flying.
 
Taeyeon charged forward. We should've passed where the circle was before by now, Tiffany thought as she returned her gaze to the Veloster. The car was still following them but the moment it passed through the circle's point...
 
With a defeaning sound, the Veloster exploded, sending pieces of metal flying into the air. The other Subjects at the back of the car flinched as the scrap clattered behind them. Tiffany turned just in time to see Taeyeon's eyes clear up, her expression softening. She stopped the car and breathed a deep, heavy sigh.
 
"We're going home."
 
--------------------------------------------
 
Okay. Episode VI was like THE biggest challenge for me so far. I had the whole scene playin' out in my head but it was kind of hard to make it as exciting on paper. I swear I read each chapter a couple of times before posting and THIS one I read for a million times with matching hair-pulling.
 
I hoped you liked it, though. Tell me what you think about this one 'cause I'd really, REALLY want to know.