Episode XIV: Aegis

Aegis

 

What is this? Incense? Taeyeon thought as she opened her eyes. The first thing she saw was the plain, low ceiling and the soft glow of sunlight illuminating the room. This...This room. She sat up and saw a table and a solitary frame on the wall. She turned to look for where the light was coming from and was not surprised by what -- or who -- she saw.

 
"It's been a while, Taeyeon-ssi.", said a familiar voice.
 
Taeyeon smiled. "Yes. It's been a while...Sensei.
 
***
 
"Am I dead, Sensei? I remember being in the Orison Sanctuary and Tiffany calling me...", she paused. "Fany-ah..." They were sitting by the garden, eyes closed, feeling the shifts in the Presence around them like they used to.
 
"You may be. You may be not. You can never be sure, Taeyeon-ssi. For all you know, this might be the reality and the times you spent with the Jewel were just a dream." The old man chuckled. "But enough of this philosphical chatter. Isn't there anything you'd like to know, my child. About the Walpurgis Circle, perhaps?"
 
Taeyeon felt her right hand flinch involuntarily. The old man began even before she asked her question.
 
"The Walpurgis Circle, Taeyeon-ssi, serves as a seal to control the Walpurgis Energy that lies dormant within each Child. Although not all Children of the Walpurgis are capable of using their abilities to the fullest extent, some do awaken, like you and Hyoyeon-ssi did. You see, the power endowed by the Walpurgis is very dark and destructive, which is why they are to be kept under control."
 
"Is that why it only manifests fully in the Orison Sanctuary?"
 
"Yes. Exactly."
 
"Then what about the Jewel and the Triggers, Sensei? Is it possible to actually transfer the Energy like what Fany-ah's father did?"
 
"Theoretically, it is sound. Although the chances of them awakening is almost zero. There are conditions for the Walpurgis Energy to actually manifest. Yours, for example, were brought about by your harsh childhood, especially when the village was burned down. My teaching you a lot of things was in preparation for your future, Taeyeon-ssi. I did not want you to stray from the right path, like Hyoyeon-ssi did. You see, it was the strong feelings of vengeance and anger that awakened her powers to the fullest. 
 
However, what the Triggers have within them are still, essentially, Walpurgis Energy. This being the case, there is still a chance for them to awaken if something strong enough to stir them emotionally happens.", the old man explained patiently.
 
"Then why didn't the Trigger Experiment work?"
 
The old man gave a nod of satisfaction. "That's a good question, Taeyeon-ssi. Although it is true that the Jewel will only work with a Child of the Walpurgis, it will only manifest its power if the Child has been purified. That is to say, if the Energy within a Child has been cleansed by a pure heart. Walpurgis Energy was, for all intents and purposes, born out of darkness, Taeyeon-ssi. However, as all energies are, they may be changed according to their bearer. The Jewel will only respond to the Energy that has been balanced. And once it has found its pair, it is the duty of the Child to protect the Jewel as long as they live. That is the Agreement of the Aegis."
 
Silence passed between the master and his student. Slowly, the old man opened his eyes and stood up. Taeyeon looked up and saw her teacher beckoning her. Although a bit confused, she followed his lead. The old man placed his hands on her shoulders.
 
"You've grown a lot, Taeyeon-ssi. I am really happy to see you again. However, it's time to go."
 
Taeyeon gave him a puzzled look. "Where are you going, Sensei?"
 
He shook his head with small movements. "It's you who's going, Taeyeon-ssi." He turned his head towards the direction of the room. A small, solitary ball of white light popped out of thin air and began zigzagging inside the room, as if it was looking for something. "It seems like...somebody still wants to see you, my child. Go." He gave her a small push.
 
Taeyeon managed to mouth a 'Thank you' and saw the old man waving serenely before the small ball of light found her and swallowed her into its warm brightness.
 
***
 
Tiffany held Taeyeon's right hand tightly as the tears flowed abundantly from her eyes. "Don't leave me, Tae. I...I still want to touch you more and kiss you more. And-And we still haven't gone out on a proper date, remember? Taeyeon-ah. Don't die on me, please." She rested her cheek on Taeyeon's right palm, where the mark that branded her a Child was. "I want to see you, Tae-Tae. I love you." She said as her tears flowed onto Taeyeon's hand.
 
Suddenly, a flash of white light emanated from Taeyeon's hand as her tears made contact with the Circle. Tiffany removed the hand from her cheek and saw the mark glowing and pulsing as Taeyeon's hand started to get warm. A stream of white light shot off the Circle and was absorbed by the black walls of the Orison Sanctuary. Like a lighthouse in the murky darkness of the sea, the light from Taeyeon's hand illuminated the whole room. Tiffany watched as the light spread from one point until, just like before, the room became wholly white. A large aqua blue Circle appeared beneath the two girls and slowly, Taeyeon's limp body started to hover a few inches above the ground. As suddenly as it had began, all the light from within the room gathered beneath the Circle, swirling around like milk in a glass. From the center of the Circle, the light began to enter Taeyeon's body. As the last drop of white vanished, the agent landed gently into the arms of the waiting Subject.
 
"T-Tae-Tae...", trembling slightly, Tiffany whispered.
 
Slowly, Taeyeon opened her eyes. Tiffany felt happiness and relief, gratefulness and just utter joy. There were so many emotions she felt at the same time that she could not suppress the tears bursting from her eyes. Taeyeon slowly raised her arm and wiped the other girl's tears with a caring finger.
 
"Fany-ah... I told you...a woman's--"
 
"Tears are her jewel. Yes, Tae-Tae. I never forgot. I'm just...I'm just so happy.", she said as she hugged the girl as tightly as she could, as if letting her go would make the agent lie limp again in her arms. She couldn't stop crying. "I'm...I'm so happy. I thought...I thought I was going to lose you again. I love you, Tae. I love you so much.", she looked at her with tearful but loving eyes.
 
Taeyeon couldn't help but smile. "I know. I'm sorry for all the worry, Fany-ah. I love you, too. I'll always protect you no matter what."
 
Tiffany held her hand. "Let's go home now, Taeyeon-ah. Everyone's waiting."
 
She gave the hand that held her a gentle squeeze and smiled. "Yes."
 
----------------------------------------------
 
Hey ho~ Well, this is more of a let's-try-to-patch-up-the-holes chapter so it's real short. -ke- And I wouldn't let Tae just die like that. Even I wouldn't be able to take it. XDD And yes, I am aware that this sounds very Potter-like. I was tempted to put in the "Just because it happened in your head, doesn't mean it's not real" part but of course, I didn't. That would be too obvious. lol. Anyhow, tell me what your thoughts on this one. ^^