Episode XI: Chaos.

Aegis

 

Tiffany didn't have the energy to protest. The sudden influx of information was more than she could bear. Her mind was filled with so much thoughts she can actually feel them swimming inside her head, wanting to be let out, looking for even the smallest form of expression. Yet she could not. She could only look at Taeyeon's back as the other girl led her around another part of the city, parting through the crowd as if they were Moses and the Red Sea. She wanted to throw so many questions at her but she knew now was not the time. She had to wait.
 
It didn't take long for the anxious pair to reach their destination. The monstrous building, with its glass and metal facade, cast its shadow over its puny surroundings, engulfing them in darkness as Taeyeon led both of them to a side passage. Tiffany took a look around and her attention was caught by the three large letters by the entrance.
 
"Taeyeon-ah. You're...a member of the SSP?" 
 
The other girl did not say a word. Instead, she gave one, quiet nod. The movement was so small it was almost imperceptible. Tiffany held back her tears as the building swallowed them whole.
 
***
 
Fany-ah, I'm sorry I never told you, Taeyeon apologized in her head. She felt so bad it was as if a lump formed in her heart and started moving around. She had kept so many things secret from Tiffany but here she was still having the nerve to fall in love with her. She suddenly felt like she didn't deserve someone as perfect as Tiffany. But she also knew that if there was one thing she was most sure about in the world, it was her feelings for the girl whose hand she was holding right at that moment. Taeyeon felt the strong desire to protect the girl bubbling from within her, even if there was the possibility that Tiffany would hate her forever. The agent held on to her last thought and gave Tiffany's hand a gentle squeeze.
 
The pair entered a dark mahogany door which led to a long, dimly-lit hallway. Their steps were muffled by the carpet as they made their way quickly and furtively to the other end. The beep of Taeyeon's ear piece seemed a thousand times louder in the quiet passage.
 
"Unnie, I'm taking Seohyun-ah to the SSP HQ right now. Sooyoung-unnie's on Sunny-ssi's rescue. I think those stealth suits are doing their job very well -- I can't get any register on enemy activity.", Yoona's voice reverberated against the walls, enabling Tiffany to hear everything.
 
"Copy. Take her to one of our Confinements, it's safer there. What about Yuri and Jessica?", Taeyeon asked as they neared the solitary door at the other end of the hallway.
 
"Well, St. Clare's a real good distance from here so it'll take longer for --" Yoona stopped mid-sentence. Taeyeon heard the footsteps from the other end of the line had halted as well. 
 
"What's wrong?"
 
"There's... I'm detecting a strong disturbance in Yuri-ah and Jessica-ssi's location, Unnie. It's making the gauge go bonkers! I don't know what might happen if it continues at this rate."
 
A small hiss escaped from Taeyeon's lips. One of them awakened. "...I see. I want you to get Seohyun to safety as soon as possible then proceed to St. Clare's, do you read me?"
 
"Loud and clear, Unnie." She was gone.
 
Taeyeon and Tiffany had reached the end of the hallway. They stood before a door so inconspicuous, Tiffany wouldn't have noticed it if not for the slight glint coming off the knob. Taeyeon felt multiple Presences coming from afar, trying to discern their target's location. The agent took a deep breath and turned around to face Tiffany. She held the other girl's face between her hands and looked deep into her eyes.
 
"Fany-ah. Are you angry?", she asked with worry in her eyes. "I'm sorry... For not telling you."
 
Tiffany held the hands that carressed her cheeks. "I love you, Tae-Tae. I may be upset now but I can't feel bad forever."
 
Taeyeon gave a small smile. "That's good enough for me."
 
She held Tiffany's hand and, together, they opened the door to the other side.
 
***
 
The room held nothingness. What lay before them was a darkness so dense it was as if the Universe itself lay behind the door. The blackness seemed to stretch forever, making them think twice as to whether to enter it or not.
 
"The Orison Sanctuary will do your bidding, Taeyeon-ah." A voice.
 
Taeyeon's eyes widened. "Uncle.", she muttered, loud enough for Tiffany to hear.
 
"Do not hesitate. Protect what you must, Taeyeon-ah. Use the Circle. I know you can control it."
 
Taeyeon looked at her palm. Use the circle, she echoed in her head. She stared at the mark, feeling a slight stir within her. After the old man vanished, she had never really known nor understood his 'parting gift'. It never manifested any sort of presence and it never caused any disturbance until that day they tried to outrun the Veloster. Since then, it bothered her. What if it had something to do with her past? What if it was connected to the fact that she was...
 
"Born in the Night of the Walpurgis." Her eyes widened at the realization. Uncle, am I right? Is it because of I was born during Walpurgisnacht?
 
"Go, Taeyeon-ah. There is no time to waste. The child of the Walpurgis is meant to fulfill her destiny. Don't be afraid, Uncle is here with you."
 
Taeyeon took one deep breath. She clenched her right hand into a fist, scrunching the mark on her palm into an indecipherable graffiti. She felt the Presences coming nearer. She took Tiffany's hand, took a step inside the room and were engulfed by its darkness.
 
***
 
Ripples formed on the surface of that nothingness as the pair made distance between themselves and the entrance. Tiffany tried touching the floor but she felt nothing; it was as if they were walking on some invisible ether. The blackness erased whatever concept they had of space as it seemed to stretch forever. At some point, Taeyeon stopped. She let go of Tiffany's hand, faced her and flung a question with a determined look in her eyes.
 
"Do you trust me, Fany-ah."
 
The other girl held the agent's hand and nodded.
 
Taeyeon turned around to face the door, waiting for their predators. Slowly, she inched her feet apart, alerted her senses and drew in her ki. She felt the Jailbirds coming close.
 
"Fany-ah, stand back." Taeyeon raised her hands close to her chest, clasping them together, as if in prayer. She uttered a command, quietly, softly, but with such force it made Tiffany shudder.
 
"Deploy."
 
In a flash, a large aqua blue circle similar to Taeyeon's insignia appeared beneath Tiffany's feet. It glowed brightly as more circles started to appear between the two of them. They cropped up one by one, spinning as they formed a protective cube around the Subject. Tiffany tried touching the barrier -- it was warm, solid and, she felt, definitely a lot stronger than the one she saw during the incident with the Veloster.
 
Taeyeon took one quick glance over her shoulder. For a split second, their eyes met.
 
Now, they wait.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
And thus, I introduce the Orison Sanctuary -- the room that will only yield to the Child of the Walpurgis. I was playing y, Free & Single on loop while writing this so my apologies if it sounds a bit...distracted. ㅋ Not exactly an ELF, jus' curious with their new release. (¬‿¬)v
 
Anyhow, how'd you like this chapter? Drop your two cents below, yo~