Mirror and Shadow

Standing Out of the Crowd

Sun Hi POV:

I was attempting to figure out what exactly came over me that caused me to agree to go to this concert, when I heard loud screams, even more obnoxious than before, erupting from nearby, getting closer.  I wrote it off as fangirls just doing what they do best, that is, fangirling, and simply ignored them, going back to my game of Pocket Planes on my iPhone.

All of the sudden, I get jabbed in the ribs, very hard, I might add, three times in quick succession by Yun Hae. When I turned to glare at her for leaving bruises on my abdomen for no apparent reason, I noticed a figure above me, on the stage. He was young, cute, in a puppy-dog kind of way, and his beautiful, chocolate brown eyes were…staring directly at me.        O.O

Confused, I looked around, seeing thousands of fangirls, and even a few fanboys, giving me massive amounts of intense glares. Yep, well, I guess he really is looking at me then. Weird. I struggled to remember what his name was from the crash-course in All Things SHINee that Yun Hae had given me earlier today. He was the maknae, I think, because he was a good dancer…so that would make his name…um…err…Juntae? Tea hi? Taomun? OH! It was Taemin!

Still, knowing his name didn’t help me determine why the hell he was staring at me so intensely…Refocusing on his face, I noticed that he seemed to be attempting some form of speech, however, it looked like the dancing maknae was a bit tongue-tied.

“I-uh-you’re really-er, hi.” The girlish boy, Taemin, struggled to express himself. What a strange kid, I thought to myself. However, I was raised to be polite, even to people I didn’t know and especially to people I didn’t like. According to my parents, it “builds character.” Personally, I think they just wanted to sell more noodles at the restaurant. So I, being the wonderfully polite person that I was, said hello back.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” I replied, bowing slightly towards the odd idol. The boy appeared starstruck, which was strange, considering that he was the idol, and I just a middle-class girl like any one of the other hundreds that were probably attending this concert. Oh great, he’s going to start babbling again…

“I-I-erm…what’s your-um…how are-…why…uh, would you like to dance with me?” Taemin managed to spit out, blushing like crazy. He didn’t actually spit, of course, but the way he stuttered made him sound kind of like a water sprinkler.

Immediately following this statement, the crowd of people around me began simultaneously pushing me towards the stage, with Yun Hae pushing hardest of course, and complaining that I was the one who got to get up on stage with the famous idol. Seemingly without a choice, I was pulled (by Taemin)/ pushed (by…well, everyone else) onto the dance floor.

I just stood there awkwardly as the crowd cheered (booed in some cases, those in which several of the girls had little green envy monsters climbing onto their shoulders). I hadn’t failed to notice that Taemin’s attention had remained centered on me the entire time, with him holding my hands several seconds longer than absolutely necessary for hauling me up onto the stage, causing me to quickly extract myself from his grip and making my face to flush as well.

He motioned to the sound crew to play a special song…a duet. Oh. Crap. This was NOT part of my plan, i.e. didn’t involve me sitting quietly in the front row, playing Pocket Planes until the show was over.

Taemin began to move, I was amazed by his body and how it flowed so smoothly, moving with the music. Still, I looked at him in horror, shaking my head back and forth faster than I had thought humanly possible, trying to convey the message that I was taking no part in this duet insanity.

Not that I wasn’t a good dancer, in fact, I had been on my way to becoming a professional dancer until…the accident. I was doing my floor moves, for my hip-hop style dance but then I landed wrong and my knee was yanked out of place, causing several tendons and ligaments to tear in the process. I was in the hospital for nearly 8 months, I had to take summer school just so I wouldn’t have to repeat a grade. The doctors told me that I was lucky to be able to walk, and forget about dancing. Forever. I responded that I may as well be in a wheelchair if I could never dance again.

One thing about me, I was always the person who would try anything, no matter how crazy, and I was determined to do everything I was told I couldn’t do, so it was no surprise that I began to practice my dancing again. And against all odds, I succeeded in achieving my colossally high goal. I’m not as good as I was, and I know I’ll never be able to reach that level a second time, but, still, I think that one day, if I never give up, I can get to that place where I want to be, the place where I can feel again, where I can pour all of my emotions in to my body and let all of my fear, pain, and doubt release themselves into the magic of the music.  

Seeing this boy, though, the way his body did what mine used to do…I felt the need to move. The song he requested the sound crew to play was a ballad, not too slow, like ballroom dancing, but not too fast, like clubbing music. The beat was somewhere in the middle, light and soft, but not slow, the melodies and harmonies combined to make the most beautiful instrumental that I’d ever heard.

Seeing him dance, admiring his movements, understanding how his dance evolved to flow with the mood of the music, I felt something shift within myself, altering everything I thought I knew. That was when instinct kicked in and I knew, deep down in my soul: I had to dance with this boy, because watching him, was like glimpsing my own reflection.  

 

 

A/N: Yay! A long update~ finally ^_^ hope you enjoyed it! please comment and subscribe for more (: