Tick Tock

Standing Out of the Crowd

Taemin’s POV:

 

Tick tock, tick tock…I could practically feel the time slowly wasting away as I waited for Sun Hi to show up. What if she changed her mind and decided not to meet me? You got here early, I told myself, she’s probably just running a bit late, no big deal. I sighed, looking towards the door, hoping she’d magically appear on the other side of it simply because I gazed at it. No such luck. My fingers and feet started tapping out the rhythm to Stranger.

I began to hum along with the tapping, just getting to the chorus when I heard the tingle of bells announcing that someone had entered the café. I spun in my seat, possibly setting a world record for swivel speed, though unfortunately, I lost my balance turning, and fell off the chair. The ajumma who had just come in gave me a weird look before proceeding to sit at the table as far from me as physically possible.

Standing, I swiftly brushed the floor gunk off of myself, smoothing the wrinkles in my (Minho’s) shirt and jeans, checking my appearance in the reflective surface of the doors to the café. After spending about a minute fixing my hair, I noticed an amused smirk showing through the glass. Peering closer, I realized that the smirk belonged to Sun Hi. . That girl always has to see me when I’ve done something stupid.

I quickly stopped messing with my hair, stepping forward to open the door for her, acting nonchalant, as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. I bowed slightly as she skirted past me into the café, noticing as she did that her shirt sparkled gold and silver in the moderate lighting of café, the colors reflecting off of her hair, making her appear as an angel with a glowing halo of golden brown hair.

“Annyeong,” I said as I led her to the table I had picked out for us.

“A-annyeong,” Sun Hi replied, sounding uncomfortable using the informal greeting. So she doesn’t feel that friendly with me…guess I’ll have to change that. I grinned to myself as we sat down.

We didn’t have much of a chance to talk because the waitress, whom I had informed earlier that I was waiting for someone, suddenly materialized out of nowhere.

“Hi, my name is Jun Hae, I’ll be your waitress for the night. What can I get you to drink?” She batted her eyelashes at me, smiling cutely. Ha, she’s trying to flirt with me. Hm…so many possibilities. I used my y man face on her:

“I’ll take a medium coffee. Cream and sugar please.” I turned towards Sun Hi, “What do you want, yeobo?” I asked, smiling sweetly at her. Momentarily stunned, she didn’t respond for a minute, then I pointed to the waitress with my eyes, and winked at Sun Hi to let her know that I was messing with the waitress. Her expression morphed from embarrassed confusion to sudden comprehension.

“Um, I’ll have some peach bubble tea.”

“Arasso. Is there anything else I can do for you? Anything at all?” She didn’t even bother to pretend to be talking to Sun Hi now, pointedly staring ily at me. Just as I was about to say something ridiculously lovey-dovey, I heard:

“You can stop flirting with my fiancé, for starters. Then I’d like my bubble tea.” Sun Hi gave the waitress a brilliant fake smile and a glare that could have competed with Key at his best, and he’s the (drama) king of glares. I stared at her, eyes widening and jaw dropping. The waitress also appeared dumbfounded, clearly not expecting such an innocent-looking girl to fight back so readily and so well. Ha. If only she could’ve seen Sun Hi when I took her backstage…then she wouldn’t have been so shocked. Sun Hi had still taken me aback though; I wouldn’t have expected to her jump on the “fool the waitress” bandwagon so quickly.

The waitress quickly skittered away, bowing slightly, and mumbling under her breath, “Yes, of course. Right away, miss.”

The second she was out of earshot I burst out laughing. And not just a little chuckle either, no, but a hardcore, full-out belly-rumbling Santa roar. Sun Hi shot me an “Are you completely out of your mind?” look. Oops. Guess I went a little bit overboard. Must regain control of lung function. Breathe in. Breathe out. In. Out. Apparently, she took pity on me, because she attempted to start a conversation.

“So…about this dance partner thing…can you tell me more about what it entails?” She seemed apprehensive, but also anxious. Or maybe that was excitement…or maybe I just fail at reading girls’ expressions.

“I-um,” I coughed quickly, clearing my throat and cutting short my guffawing. "Well, basically, you’d be part of my solo, which I suppose would make it a duet. We’d choreograph a dance to some song, probably a different one than what I was using earlier. One more for duets. You wouldn’t have to come to our group practices, unless you want too, but the two of us would likely have to set up specific times to meet and practice on our own.”

“I see…what about touring and concerts and things like that?” She inquired, sounding excited, yet worried at the same time. Weird…

“Well, obviously, if you’re going to be part of a duet with me, you’ll have to be there for the concerts. As far as touring, you would be allowed to come with us, should you wish to do so. Nobody’s going to make you tour with us though.”

Sun Hi nodded vacantly, deep in thought. A light bulb suddenly seemed to turn on though, her face brought back to life in a rush. “Oh! What about…” she trailed off, embarrassed.

“What is it?” I asked, keyrious (curious).

“Um…nothing. Nevermind. Stupid question.”

“No, tell me.” I implored, the curiosity growing stronger by the second. “Please?”

“Ani. It’s nothing. Just forget I said anything.” Powerful indeed, the determination of this girl, yes. Wow. Terrible Yoda impersonation. Clearly, I have many problems other than the conundrum that is Sun Hi.

“Are you sure you don’t want to tell me? Remember what happened last time you didn’t tell me what I wanted to know…?” I said suggestively. Sun Hi’s gorgeous brown orbs expanded faster than I would have thought humanly possible.

“Y-you…you can’t…you wouldn’t…not here…” She babbled, nearly incoherent, scooting away from the table (and me, as we were sitting across from each other). Hehe. I’ve got her now…

“Do what?” I cocked (yes, I said , teehee, moving on…) my head to the side innocently.

“You k-know…that…that…whatever it was you did before.” She stuttered cutely.

“I’m sure I don’t know what on earth you’re talking about.” I showed her my most angelic face, batting my long lashes at her.

She narrowed her eyes at me. “I’m sure you do. Not an easy thing to forget.”

“Really? You keep thinking about it, do you? You can’t get it out of your mind, can you?” I questioned, partially because I genuinely wanted to know, but also because I loved watching her squirm…underneath my body. HOLY ING JONGKEY. WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST THINK???

“Uh, I-…” Sun Hi, already flustered and getting redder with embarrassment by the second, stuttered out. “I don’t-…what do you mean? I don’t think of you like that. I barely know you.” She tried to shrug it off, like “no big deal.” But I knew better…and I was determined to make her admit it.

“Really? You haven’t?” I paused for a minute before adding, in my most seductive voice, “Cause I have…” I winked at her, and, because I was feeling a bit flirty (INSANE), I gently rubbed my Converse-covered foot against her leg at the same time. Huh. This must be how those cliff-divers feel right before they leap off the edge of the rock precipice. Adrenaline and insanity combined. A potent combination. Especially when you throw in teenage hormones.

“Excuse me.” She leapt up from the table. “I’ll be back. Mianhe.” Sun Hi then swiftly walked, no, more like sprinted, towards the door labeled, “Women’s Restroom.” Hm…guess I affect her more than I thought. I smiled smugly to myself. My smugness didn’t last long though, when I remembered that her presence affected me just as much. The feeling of my ankle against her clothed calf…I shivered suddenly, and attempting to derail that particular train of thought.  Well, it’s not like she needs to know about that.

I waited patiently for Sun Hi to come back, but after a while, my ADHD tendencies got the better of me and I started tapping my feet and drumming my fingertips on the table. I sighed, bored out of my mind. Looks like I’m stuck waiting. Again…

 

A/N: Well. that's that. Hm...wonder what's going to happen next? ^.^ Comments and subs are greatly appreciated! And as for my lack of updates... *flails* mianhe! *bows* I was busy with schoolwork/too lazy to write but now I'm in a really write-y kind of mood so yay!~ thanks for reading!