Chapter 8: Best Friends

Ambiguous Relationship

Chapter 8

 

Shortly after the Rainie returned from Hong Kong, it became official that she will be joining Mike He Jung Xiang and Kingone Wong Chuan Yi on the production of “Why Why Love”. In this highly anticipated drama, Rainie will be playing an extremely poor girl who has to work many odd jobs to support her family. Later one she will become the maid to the youngest brother played by Mike. She was also offered a milk commercial where she will replace the famous TV political figure Cheng Hong Yi. In addition, she will continue her advertisement for Clarins whom offer her a generous 8 digits reward. She looked at her packed schedule for the next month and sighed; so much for getting some rest. But Rainie would never complain; the more money she can make in the next year, the sooner her family will be debt free. To Rainie, family and friend were more important to her than anything else in the world. Therefore today, Rainie asked for a half day off so she can celebrate with her friend Ariel Lin Yi Chen who just returned from a recent educational trip from the United States.

 

Rainie was the first to arrive at their favorite Japanese restaurant. Beatrice Xu Wei Lun, Joe Zheng Yuan Chang and Ethan Ruan Jing Tian were the next to get there. Followed by Show Luo Zhi Xiang, Wilber Pan Wei Bao and Xiao Gui Wong Hong Sheng, Rainie’s ex-boy friend (who is also now her god- brother due to the good relationship he maintained with Rainie’s mom). The three members of Energy arrived together followed by Rainie’s frequent work partner Pinky Yang Qian Pei. Ariel Lin Yi Chen was the last to arrive and she quickly apologized to everyone and presented each with souvenirs from her recent trip. The group was given their usual private room so they won’t be interrupted by their fans. But either or less, the restaurant was soon packed with fans who hoped to catch a glimpse of their favorite celebs. Waitresses seem to be coming in to refill their drinks many times too often but it didn’t affect the group’s good mood. Everyone ate, drink and chatted up on their recent business, including sharing some ridiculous rumors among each other. Wei Lun and Xiao Gui were teased about their recent rumor while Ariel and Show couldn’t escape the same faith. Finally everyone asked about Rainie’s pack of admirers. With the mention of Aaron’s name, Rainie wondered if she should share with her friends their recent development. She quickly voted against it and changed the topic. It wasn’t that she wanted to hold back anything from her friends she was simply unsure of her own feelings. There was no doubt in Rainie’s mind that she was attracted to him and they seem to share a special connection. Yet, there is a voice in the back of her mind that wonders if she’s only feeling this way about him because of his incredible resemblance to her childhood friend, Geng Lin (I believe吳庚霖 is Ya Lun’s real name).

Ariel noticed her strange behavior: Rainie, let’s go to the bathroom.

Rainie: ok.

The two walked hand in hand to the restroom like many girls often does. When they reach their destination Ariel finally asked: Rainie are you really tired? You seem to be spacing out quite often.

Ariel was Rainie’s best friend and the two has always entrusted their secrets with each other. Although Rainie was almost two years younger than Ariel, she always played the older sister role offering her advice whenever it was needed. But even before Rainie could open Ariel answered for her: it’s about him, isn’t it? Honestly Rainie I think you have spent enough of your time dwelling over this guy. I know he is special in your heart but you can’t live in his shadow for the rest of your life. It’s bad enough that all your ex somehow share his quality.

Rainie: You’re right. I was stupid, they are not him and they won’t be able to replace him either.

Ariel hugged Rainie tightly: oh Rainie, you are not stupid. You just haven’t met the right person. So give this guy a try?

Rainie looked at Ariel with a huge doll like eyes: how did you know?

Ariel smiled cheekily: because you are glowing, my lovely lady, and that can only mean one thing.

Rainie: am not…

Rainie checked herself in the mirror. Is she really glowing…is it because of him.

Ariel reached into her purse for her lip gloss: yes you are.

Rainie noticed that Ariel was wearing more make up than usual: what about you and lover boy? Are you ever going to tell “him” how you feel?

All of the “Jie Mei”(Meaning sisters, girls whom are very close often refer to each other this way)  knows about Ariel’s secret crush yet she still refuses to give up his identity.

Ariel tried to hide her girly smile and continued to apply her make up: I don’t know, I mean I don’t know if he even likes me. We don’t even see each other much.

Rainie: so??? Like you said, if you don’t do anything about it, you’ll never know.

Ariel smiled at her reflection: I guess so. I’m going to see him in a bit. How do I look?

Rainie: great. Oh wait a minute.

Rainie took out her favorite hello kitty comb that she always carried with her and fixed Ariel’s bang: better. She smiled at her best friend.

Ariel: oh thanks. I couldn’t find mine. I must have left it at home.

Rainie look at the comb she was holding then at Ariel who was packing her stuff away: here. Take this.

Ariel: no way. That thing means the world to you. You won’t even be able to concentrate at work without it.

Rainie: but nothing is more important than the future happiness of my best friend.

Ariel finally accepted the comb and gave Rainie her biggest hug.


Rainie and her best friend Ariel