Chapter 11: The One

Ambiguous Relationship

Chapter 11

 

With a promise on Christmas Eve, Aaron and Rainie’s relationship seems to be heading towards the right direction. Rainie introduced Aaron to her friends at Show’s party after their grand entrance that received much attention. The following day, Rainie played the role of the leading lady at Aaron’s Christmas party. While Aaron looked charming as always in his all white Prince-Charming tux; Rainie caught her share of attentions in an elegant red Chanel dress. All the guests were stunned by their beauty as the two made their way down the spiral stair case. A crowd of guests quickly surround the two and flattered them with praise. Neither one of them notice a pair of teary eyes looking at them from behind the crowd.

“Ariel is everything ok?” Jiro was the one who invited her and to his surprise she actually accepted his invitation. Ariel seemed happy most of the night and even slow danced with Jiro for two songs. The oblivious Jiro didn’t notice the sorrow in Ariel’s face and continued to share his silly jokes. He was clearly trying very hard to impress her. All the Fahrenheit guys know how important Ariel is to Jiro since she was his first female Co-Star and the first person to encourage him to pursue his dreams. He doesn’t know when and how but he felt helplessly in love with her; just like his character in “It started with a kiss”

He was going to tell her how he feels together but somehow he knew something was wrong. He finally stopped joking after Ariel took her second shot of vodka.

Jiro:“wow, Ariel, I didn’t know you were a drinker. I guess everyone gets a little extra wild during the holiday season.”

Ariel: Excuse me. I’m going to go touch up.

From behind the crowd, Rainie noticed her friend’s familiar figure: Aaron, I think I saw a friend. I’ll be right back.

Our Prince Charming followed Rainie with his dreamy eyes until she finally disappeared behind the crowd.

On the balcony, Rainie took a seat next to Ariel. It was obvious from the look on Ariel’s face that she has been crying. Rainie took out a tissue from her purse and carefully removed the smudges from Ariel’s face.

Ariel felt the sour feeling in her nose then in her heart. Rainie was her best friend. Through all her heart breaks and romance problems, Rainie has always been there for her. Just like now, Rainie never asked any questions. She always listened patiently to her problem and then comforts her by yelling at the boy who hurt her best friend.  And as always, Ariel finally cracked a smile. Except this time, Rainie has no idea the boy who broke her best friend’s heart is also the boy that she’s in love with. Ariel looked up and met Rainie’s concerned eyes. She took a deep breath and finally gave her best friend an “I’m ok” smile.

If there were 100 reasons for Aaron to like Rainie then Ariel could understand every one of them. And for this reason, she will keep her feelings for Aaron to herself for ever. Ariel reached into her pocket and took out a beautifully wrapped gift along with the Hello Kitty comb: Thanks Rainie, I’m ok now and this is for you. And your hello kitty comb, thanks for letting me borrow it.

Rainie received the gift with one hand as she quickly revealed the gift she has been hiding behind her: Thanks buddy. You know whatever’s mine is also yours. It’s getting kind of cold out here let’s go inside.

But before they reach the door, Rainie stopped and took Ariel’s hand: sometime, we are too focused on what’s ahead of us and thus it blinds us from some important things that might be right next to us. If we just turn our head slightly we’ll notice the person who’s be there all this time.

Ariel smiled as a goofy smile crossed her mind. The two girls were both giggling as they walked back into the room hand in hand.

The girls had no ideas that Aaron was behind the balcony door and saw everything. Now, there is no doubt in his mind and his heart was more determine than ever.

          

           As the world counted down to the New Year, Rainie and Aaron were both busied by their work. Aaron had to perform at several New Year show with Fahrenheit, while Rainie only accepted one show so she can count down with her “wives” (Since she always act very manly she calls her best friends her wives).

Yet, it was fate that brought the two together backstage at GTV. The two exchanged a causal greeting and went on their ways to avoid any unnecessary attention (it was understandable since there’s already enough publicity on their rumored relationship). But while Rainie was on stage performing her hit songs “ai mei” and “meeting love”, Aaron’s eyes were locked on the monitor as if he didn’t even want to blink.

When it was Fahrenheit’s turn to take stage, Aaron looked around for Rainie but she was nowhere to be found.

With a long sigh, Aaron took stage with the rest of the group. The intro music started to the song “Chao Xi Huang Ni, really like you”.

As the song reached its chorus, Aaron almost choked as he spotted a familiar figure in the crowd. All bundled up and with glow sticks in her hand, Rainie was jamming along to her song with her girlfriends. Aaron was not the only one that noticed them; Jiro did too. But his eyes were locked in on the guy next to Rainie and when Ariel smiled back at him, he almost felt weak at the knees.

Their eyes locked and two bright smiled bloomed with the fireworks in the sky. Meanwhile, Aaron sang his heart out to the remaining of the song because this time he was singing for his special someone. 

 

In the New Year, Fahrenheit was even busier but Aaron noticed his band mate Jiro was even more energetic than usual. The reason was not a mystery since every other word coming out of Jiro’s mouth was Ariel. They were all happy that he’s active pursue was finally working. Aaron was a happy man himself as he looked forward to “the promise” they made on Christmas Eve. 

But on the eve of Jan 28th a tragic moment swept through the Taiwan entertainment world.  A deadly car accident took the life of 28 year old Wei Lun (Beatrice) Hsu, a dear friend to both Rainie and Ariel. For the next two weeks, Rainie and Ariel spent all their free time with the Hsu’s family and helped to make Wei Lun’s last wish come true. During this time, Aaron and the rest of Fahrenheit sent their support for the Hsu’s family and friends through encouragement messages and prayers. On February 9th, Wei Lun’s funeral took place in the sitting of a concert. Fahrenheit watched the live televise of the concert together in their hotel room. The four of them didn’t know her well but tears filled their eyes as they listened to the message shared by all of Wei Lun’s close friend. Ariel and Rainie both shared their message and Rainie sang one of Wei Lun’s favorite song “Ye Zi, leaf” for her best friend.  The emotion on Rainie’s face was painful to watch but Aaron took in everything, including Rainie’s encouraging pat on Cyndi’s back (It was a very touching moment because the two are suppose to be business rivals but they took stage side by side for Wei Lun). 

Aaron’s heart was determined that very moment that he will cherish Rainie and use the rest of his life to make her smile.

 

Jiro also seem to have taken some strength from his incident and finally told Ariel how he felt. Although she did not give him an answer immediately, she agreed to think it over and meanwhile they will go on a few dates. Jiro was already jumping in joy because didn’t get rejected and still have a chance.

 

Meanwhile Rainie and Aaron’s career are still flying high and both of them are getting more popular everyday. However, they both realized that there is no one more important than the one they love. They no long care whether or not Rainie is “Lin Lin” and if Aaron is “Ya Lun”. As long as they have each other that is enough.


Rainie with her best friend, the last Hsu Wei
Lun.

From left to right, Rainie, Wei Lun and Ariel. 


 

 

From left to right, Ariel, Rainie and Cyndi at Wei Lun's good bye concert.