Chapter 6: Because of You

Ambiguous Relationship

After the 3 days of attending fashion shows, Rainie realize too much clothes can actually be a very tiring thing. She declined Evan’s offer for dinner and decided to order room service. When she got to the hotel, there was a message waiting for her. It was from Aaron. He was here in Paris. He wanted to meet her for dinner.

All of her tiredness disappeared and she was full of energy again. 

Rainie decided to call the number he left and after 10 minutes of conversation, they had a dinner date at 7:00pm.

After taking a shower and getting ready for the dinner, Rainie still had 30 minutes to kill so she decided to read up on the Taiwan entertainment news. One of the headlines quickly caught her attention.

“ 4 minus 1, Fahrenheit travels without Yan Ya Lun. Music company plan to cut out Fahrenheit’s youngest member…

 

At 6:59pm, Rainie heard the knocks on her door.

Just expected, Aaron’s mood was affected by the rumors. Rainie could tell he was only forcing the cheerful smile. He tried to make conversation but they walked mostly in silent. They finally settled on a stylish but homey restaurant near the Louvre.

Maybe it was shyness on both parties but they ate dinner in almost complete silence. For dessert, Rainie ordered a Chocolate & Mango Crème Brulée, while Aaron ordered a Galette des Rois (also known as the King Cake made with almond paste, almond extract and pre-made frozen puff pastry sheets). They both sipped their cappuccino in silent and watched other tourisms and Parisians outside the glass window.

Several minutes later their Waiter returned: Sir, Madame, today we have our live band performance. Would the two of you like to request a song?

They both notice at the corner of the room, a band was already set up. Aaron also noticed a piano that was still vacant.

Rainie: Is it possible for us to join the band?

Aaron was totally surprise that Rainie was thinking the same thing.

Waiter said with a smile: of course.

Rainie turned her attention to Aaron: “this might be your only chance to perform in Paris.” She was wearing her best smile and Aaron just couldn’t say no.

Aaron sat down in front of the piano and lifted the cover up. He looked back at Rainie and she was still smiling at him. All of a sudden he knew exactly what song he was going to play.

Rainie saw him whisper something to the band and soon the intro to “truly, madly, deeply” fill the small café.

Aaron: I would like to dedicate this show to everyone in this café. I hope you all have a “truly, madly, deeply” romantic evening.

Rainie watched as Aaron played with the band. Soon, a soft smile appeared on Aaron’s face. When the music ended, he had his usual smile back.

Aaron: this next song is called “because of you” and I would like to dedicate this song to a girl very special to my heart. It’s because of you, Rainie Yang.

As the music started to play, other couples got up and started to dance. Rainie remained seated as she watched Aaron.

This time when the music ended, everyone in the café joined in with a round of applause.

When Aaron returned to the table Rainie was still starring at him: Aaron, you really enjoy being a singer don’t you?

Aaron gave her a shy smile: I gave myself away didn’t I. people always tell me I can sing whenever, wherever.

Rainie: So if singing and performing means so much to you then why are you letting other insignificant things get you down?

Aaron was surprised by her comment but he quickly realizes what she was trying to say: Thank you Rainie. I know what I need to do know. I will definitely work harder and not let rumors get me down.

Rainie: I know you can.

Aaron: Rainie do you mind if I ask you something.

Rainie sipped her cappuccino: what’s up?

Aaron: You’ve been in the industry for 8 years. Did you ever feel like no one understands all the pain and hard work you put into it? Did you ever wanted to quit?

Rainie: of course. If you don’t mind my boring story then I’ll tell you from the beginning.

Aaron nodded with excitement; he dreamed of this moment many times and now it’s finally coming true. She was finally opening up to him.

Rainie: It all goes back to 1997, when I was still at Hua Gang, I decided that I will set my career goal as a singer. So I entered every singing contest there was. At the time I was still wearing braces so I had no confidence in my appearance by I was pretty confident that I can sing. But for my first contest, I only received 400 votes when the winner had about 20,000. And to make matters worst, 200 of the votes were from my mom and her friends.

Rainie laughed as she recalled the memories. She took another sip and continued:

A few weeks later, I entered this Sun Shine Girls competition and I was very surprised that I even made it into the final round. The night before the final judgment, I even went to my Dentist and took out my braces. But neither or less, I only got a 6th place and the reason was, I was lacking a womanly body.

Aaron couldn’t help but interrupted: oh come on, what kind of judges are they. You were only 13.

Rainie: I guess it kinda crushed my confidence but I wasn’t going to give up so easily. I was pretty fortunate because after a year of singing competitions, I got a chance to try out for 4 in love. I think I sang “tears” by Mavis Fan and I remembered one of the judge told me with the voice I have he will never let me record a CD.

Rainie forced a smile: that judge was wrong. In November of 2000, 4 in love’s first CD were released. Our first autograph session, there were more people on the stage then off stage because only 3 fans were there. Every time after a TV appearance, first thing we would do is find the closest grocery store so we can break our earning into 4 equal shares. July of 2001 we released our second album but S.H.E. came out at the same time too. Our record sale was even worst than before. That was also the end of 4 in love. In 2003 I signed with Sony BMG and changed my management to Super Mars. In September was 2004, I went in to the studio to record “Ai Mei” but no matter how many times I tried, it just didn’t sound right. I was so afraid Sony was going to drop me but then just because one door was closed didn’t mean another wouldn’t open up. Wo cai came to be and then Devil beside you. Ai Mei was finally released in May of 2005 and then followed by Meeting Love. I’m telling you this because if you don’t reach your dream on the first try it doesn’t mean it won’t happen. As long as yo don’t give up you will always have a chance.

 

Aaron has a complete new respect for Rainie after hearing her story. He knew she was hard working (yes, he searched for her info many times on Google); and she was a great daughter but he had no idea that under her cute stage image there was so much he didn’t even consider. Now he finally understood why Ai Mei was able to capture the bitter sweet memories of so many.  Every word was put together with tears and she sang it with her heart. Ai Mei was the story of Rainie Yang.