City Lights

ONESHOT Compilations

Listen: Fast Car - Boyce Avenue ft. Kina Grannis

 

It was already spring. Summer is just around the corner. Everyone’s favorite season of the year is approaching. The warmth of the air brightens the mood of everyone after a cold season.

Lay was happily walking on the busy street as the sun shines brightly. He was wearing a plain shirt and pants with guitar on his back. With hands resting inside his pockets, he entered a smoothie shop.

“Good morning, sir!” The smoothie shop worker greeted. Lay bowed slightly and showed her his infamous dimple. Lay reached out behind his pockets. “Same order, sir?” Lay just nodded at the familiar worker. It was a routine for Lay to visit this smoothie shop often. The people from the shop are already familiar to him.

He paid for his order as the cashier handed him his order. “Two strawberry and cream smoothie.” The girl at the counter sweetly said.

Lay, being the reserved one that he is, shyly smiled back and took his order. He walked out of the smoothie shop with a contented smile.

He walked towards the next block where an apartment was located. There stood a girl with wavy hair and a shiny clip on the side of it. She was fiddling with her fingers while looking down. Lay chuckled to himself upon seeing her from a distance. As he was approaching her, he noticed how beautiful she was. Wearing a colourful dress matches the fair weather.

Seohyun pouted while waiting for Lay, she had been standing on that spot for quite a while now. She was startled when something cold brushed against her cheek. She almost jumped in surprise.

“Lay!!!” she lightly hit Lay’s arm as he handed her the other smoothie. Lay couldn’t stop adoring the simple beauty that Seohyun sported. “Why are you late?! You’re always making me wait. I told you I’ll just fetch you.” Seohyun took out her car keys.

“Well... first,” Lay scratched the back of his head, “Waking up early is not my usual get-ups. Second, I can’t stop the time so even if I prepared fast, time would still be ticking. Third, I had to buy your favorite fruit shake. Fourth, I am just twenty minutes late. And fifth,” he sheepishly smiled at Seohyun, “I’m sorry.”

Seohyun held back herself from smiling at Lay, “But still...” Seohyun pouted. “You made me wait.” But in return, she just received a smile from Lay. “Stop smiling creepily at me!” She lightly slapped Lay’s arm again, “I still don’t forgive you. I am not going to drive you there. You go take the train, I’ll go drive by myself. Let’s just meet there and—” she was interrupted when Lay planted a kiss on her lips. She blinked twice and was startled.

“Sixth, I forgot to greet you good morning.” Lay winked at her, “So you were saying?” Lay cutely sipped on his smoothie.

Seohyun blinked twice again, “Never mind. You drive.” Seohyun tossed her car keys to Lay and got on the passenger seat of the car. Lay plastered a smile on his face once again as he caught the car keys. Seohyun just can’t stay mad at him. She can’t even pretend that well.

Lay drove swiftly. They just listened to some random songs from the local radio. They were on their way to the city to find something in which they could earn money. However, they decided to leave early because they wanted to spend a few hours together before separating ways later that day.

“Are you sure about this? The city is too big!” Seohyun said while holding a map of Seoul.

“Well I got nothing to prove myself in. I’m a jobless person. I have to find a job.” Lay casually answered.

“Come on. I told you I can help you in terms of money.” Seohyun said focusing on Lay, “I have a decent job at the convenience store. But it pays me a good amount of money.”

“But I don’t want to continue being a burden to you. I have to work too. For me and my dad. Doesn’t matter if I have to go as far as the city.” Lay answered, glancing at Seohyun at once. Seohyun just shook her head, “Anyway, we don’t have to go too far. We can just be at the border of the city. We can get jobs there.”

 “So how’s your father?” Seohyun sighed as she asked Lay after sipping the smoothie. “He’s always drunk because he’s frustrated with himself for not getting a job. Moreover, he’s actually too old to work again.”

“No wonder your mother had to leave him... but I still feel sorry for your dad, though.” Seohyun remarked.

“I understand mom. She said she’ll be looking for a work and return in time. I trusted her words. But until now she hasn’t returned...” Lay’s smile was gone. Seohyun felt guilty for bringing up the topic about Lay’s parents again. “So I made sure someone’s going to take care of Dad and I quitted school.”

Seohyun held Lay’s free hand. “Don’t worry. This is a decision we made. The city’s waiting for us.” She softly smiled at him and gave his hand a squeeze. Lay pursed his lips and nodded.

Lay drove Seohyun’s car faster.

 

As soon as they got to Seoul, they started looking for a small place to live with at least two bed rooms at a low price. They walked hand in hand as they enter apartment by apartment. Seohyun was sweating because of the heat. She fanned herself while waiting for the owner of the current apartment they are in to arrive. Lay noticed this and he blew softly on Seohyun’s sweaty forehead. Seohyun just chuckled and pinched Lay’s nose. He stopped blowing and just took his handkerchief to wipe Seohyun’s sweat.

The owner of the apartment arrived soon. They saw the apartment and it was spacious enough for the both of them. They settled their things before heading out again.

“I’ll go this way. You go that way.” Seohyun pointed at two different directions when they were back at the street. “Look for a job, okay? I’ll go look for one too.”

“I at applying, alright...” Lay pouted but Seohyun poked his dimple.

“For your father, okay? Fighting!” Seohyun pumped her fist on air and headed the other way. Lay walked to the other direction as soon as Seohyun disappeared in the crowd.

 

Later that afternoon, they found themselves driving in Seohyun’s car again. The wind blew Seohyun’s hair.

“Don’t worry, I know things will get better.” Seohyun told Lay who still wasn’t able to get a job. “I got accepted in a market. Maybe soon I will get promoted, and we can move to a bigger house or so.” Seohyun assured Lay.

The road trip continued with the two of them contented just by being together.

The sun was setting and Lay was holding Seohyun’s hand while they were walking. They walked in silence, just savouring the moment of being together. Even if Lay was jobless for a long time, even if he wasn’t able to finish school, even if there are so many imperfections in Lay, Seohyun still loved him. Even if she had to sustain Lay’s living and give some money for his father’s medications, she would even if it means giving up a huge part of her salary from the convenience store.

The opportunities from their place were too limited. So they made a decision to move to the city to look for more opportunities. They had to be more mature and find jobs for a living. Lay was determined to find one.

“I was thinking of applying to the franchise of the convenience store I worked before.” Seohyun told Lay who suddenly averted his gaze to her. “Well, it’s only a few blocks away from the market I will work at. I can just do the night shift.” Seohyun said while avoiding Lay’s eyes. She knows Lay might throw tantrums at her for doing most of the jobs.

They stopped by the railings of the river and watched at sunset. Seohyun held onto them. Lay s his arms from behind, “Actually I found a job. Well it was an offer to be exact.” Seohyun could feel Lay’s breath on her ears. She quickly gazed back at Lay.

“Really? Well that’s good!” Seohyun exclaimed, she almost turned around to hug Lay but he just tightened his embrace.

“Well we have a problem with you applying for a part time job in that convenience store for a night shift.” Lay said. “I actually think you should know I won’t allow you to.”

“W-well... of course but still—”

“Because you’d have to come with me tomorrow at my work.” Lay cut in. “Because tomorrow night, we’re going to work together.”

“Huh?!” Seohyun grew curious, she turned around and faced Lay. “What are you saying?”

“Come on, you know we both share the same passion for singing. Both of us can also play guitar.” Lay said as he caressed her cheek with the back of his hand.

“And?”

“And while you were looking for a job, I just went to a bar that was looking for a waiter. Apparently, I was too bored waiting on the line and just wrote a song while waiting for my turn. ” Lay continued.

“And???”

“And they accepted me as a performer when they saw the song I had written. They also asked me to sing and so I did and...”

“And you’re asking me to come with you on that... bar?”

“Because we’re going to sing together. I’d like to sing the song I’ve written with the person I love especially that it’s going to be my first time to sing in front of a crowd.” Lay held her hands.

“B-but... I can just watch you from the crowd...”

“But I already told them I will sing with you tomorrow night...”

“But you can still just cancel it and perform alone.”

“But then again, I’d like to sing with you.”

“But I haven’t sung for a long, long time.”

“But I love you.” Lay said making Seohyun stop for a moment. They intently gazed at each other just trying to read each others’ thoughts. Lay leaned closer that their foreheads touched. “It’s okay, right?” Seohyun finally found herself nodding. Lay softly kissed her forehead and embraced her tightly. “Let’s stop looking for jobs that we don’t like when it is singing that we both love. We could make something out of it...”

Seohyun contemplated on entering the bar that Lay was in. She clutched on her backpack because she just got off from her work at the supermarket. Lay finally saw her and ran towards her, “Come inside.” Lay took her hand and went inside.

Lay left her for a moment so she can change. Seohyun just applied light make-up and curled the edges of her hair. She stared at her reflection from the mirror and tried to breathe properly. She had never been nervous. There was a knock on the door and Lay peeped, “Are you ready? We’re up in a few minutes.” Lay nudged her to come but it was as if she could not even take a single step. Lay noticed this so he went inside the room and walked closer to Seohyun.

He hugged her tightly—making her feel safe and protected.

Soon, they were onstage. Both of them held guitars. Everyone in the club was anticipating to watch the new performers. It’s a city and people were expecting performers to do great. There was quite a number of people who go to the said bar.

Seohyun nervously nodded at Lay—a cue to start.

You got a fast car
I want a ticket to anywhere
Maybe we make a deal
Maybe together we can get somewhere
Anyplace is better
Starting from zero got nothing to lose
Maybe we’ll make something
But me myself I got nothing to prove

You got a fast car
I got a plan to get us out of here
been working at the convenience store
Managed to save just a little bit of money
We won’t have to drive too far
Just ‘cross the border and into the city
You and I can both get jobs
And finally see what it means to be living

You see my old man’s got a problem
He live with the bottle that’s the way it is
He says his body’s too old for working
I say his body’s too young to look like his
but mama went off and left him
She wanted more from life than he could give
I said somebody’s got to take care of him
So I quit school and that’s what I did

You got a fast car
is it fast enough so we can fly away
We gotta make a decision
We leave tonight or live and die this way

So I remember when we were driving driving in your car
The speed so fast felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped ’round my shoulder

I had a feeling that I belonged
I had a feeling I could be someone
be someone

be someone

You got a fast car
We go cruising to entertain ourselves
You still ain’t got a job
And I work in a market as a checkout girl
I know things will get better
You’ll find work and I’ll get promoted
We’ll move out of the shelter
Buy a bigger house and live in the suburbs

So I remember when we were driving driving in your car
The speed so fast felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped ’round my shoulder

I had a feeling that I belonged
I had a feeling I could be someone
be someone

be someone

You got fast car
And I got a job that pays all our bills
You stay out drinking late at the bar
See more of your friends than you do of your kids
I’d always hoped for a better
Thought maybe together you and me would find it
I got no plans I ain’t going nowhere
So take your fast car and keep on driving

So I remember when we were driving driving in your car
The speed so fast felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped ’round my shoulder

I had a feeling that I belonged
I had a feeling I could be someone
be someone

be someone

You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so you can fly away
You gotta make a decision
You leave tonight or live and die this way

 

 

After the song, the people watching started clapping. Some who were seated started nodding. It seems like they liked what Seohyun and Lay just sang. Or the way they sang.

They stood up and bowed together. Seohyun felt relieved and held Lay’s hand before bowing again. They got off the stage. After settling their guitars down at the backstage, she quickly threw her arms around Lay. She was almost teary. Lay hugged her back and loosened up after a few seconds. He tucked a strand of Seohyun’s hair behind her ear and leaned in for a kiss.

They shared a passionate kiss before parting for air. “You were great.” She mumbled.

“So were you.” Lay responded. Before he could capture her lips again, someone interrupted and cleared his throat.

“Were you the ones who performed just a while ago?” The man in black suit asked. They glanced at each other and nodded at his question, “My boss is looking for you. By the way, I’m from the company of SM Entertainment.”

Lay and Seohyun’s eyes beamed in surprise. Indeed... it was the best opportunity for both of them.

 

That night, after being offered exclusive contracts for SM Entertainment, they decided to hit the road.

Lay was driving with Seohyun’s car once again as she rested her head on her arm that was propped out of the window feeling the night breeze of the city.

“Where do you want to go?” Lay asked Seohyun.

“We don’t have to drive too far because any place is better as long as I’m with you.” Seohyun answered. Lay blushed at her words. “Okay, now you’re blushing.” She poked Lay’s side.

Lay just smiled, “Anyway, you got a fast car.”

 

They ended up heading back to their apartment after a long ride. Seohyun was on the balcony from her room. She watched the city lights glimmer from a distance. She turned around when she heard her room’s door creaked open.

“Lay?”

He stood there beside her and gazed at the beautiful view of the city. “We’ll be together in this city... for who knows how long.”

“One, two, three years?” Seohyun childishly asked. “It does not matter as long as I’m with you.”

Lay pulled her to his side and put an arm over her shoulder. She leaned her head on his shoulder, “It’s not the city lights that makes the city beautiful.”

“Come on, they’re so pretty. I can watch them for the entire night.” Seohyun said.

“You’re prettier. I can watch you forever—day and night...” Lay said making Seohyun blush in return.