Goodbye Summer

ONESHOT Compilations

Summer was always blissful. It’s everyone’s favourite season. People wait for it for a year, and enjoy its few months of stay, then wait all over again for a year. It only happens in a short period of time, but everyone makes the most out of it. Summer gives the feeling of being free. For children, it’s the best to play outdoors.

That’s what Seohyun used to do when she was a little younger, when she just learned how to run, chase her friends in the playground, and meet new friends. No matter how many summer’s may have passed, now that she’s been living her dreams, she will never forget one summer when she met a special friend.

“I’m Do Kyungsoo.” The little boy introduced himself. Seohyun smiled to herself as she remembered that boy who cutely introduced himself to her when they were playing. She was on her way right now to their company’s building for rehearsals, and recording, for new projects, and for work. It may have been years already, more than ten probably, but that summer will never be forgotten.

“Oh, hi then, Kyungsoo-shi. Why don’t you play with us?” Seohyun bent down to the boy who was sitting on a huge rock by himself. He looked at her with stunned eyes, and looked like he was scared or didn’t want to talk to anyone.

“Seohyun-ah!!! Come, let’s continue playing!” One of her playmates already called her from afar. She just gestured that she’ll follow and she looked back at Kyungsoo.

“Don’t you really want to play?” Seohyun asked the little boy. Kyungsoo just shook his head. Seohyun sighed to herself, and sat beside him on the rock. “Then let me stay with you. I’m also tired from running.”

Kyungsoo just stared at her the entire time she was telling him random stories. Young as they were, Seohyun shared pleasant stories a normal kid would tell about. That afternoon, Seohyun just stayed beside him, and the only moment she left him alone was to buy ice cream for the both of them. He happily ate his ice cream, and Seohyun found it cute as he ate. He’s like a little brother to him, but she knew he wasn’t that young to be her brother. He was just really quiet.

That day ended as Seohyun’s mother fetched her from the park. Kyungsoo also left running away from her. She just smiled to herself as that little boy went home by himself. She knew they could have dropped him by his house than to let him off alone.

 

A few days passed and Seohyun stopped playing at the nearby park. Kyungsoo always waited for her to arrive, sitting on the same rock, swinging his legs. But Seohyun never came. Kyungsoo felt sad—throughout his stay in this little town for summer vacation, only Seohyun took a notice of him. But now she’s nowhere.

He stood up and walked home, but then he noticed a familiar old woman—Seohyun’s mother. He followed her until on the next block, she entered a small two-storey building with the sign, “Voice and dance lessons” which was exclusive for summer only.

The next day came and Kyungsoo found himself sitting on the waiting room with the other few kids. And so there he was—enrolled for the same class as Seohyun’s. When Seohyun came, she noticed him right away. and so a deeper friendship between two children began, not just playmates, but also class mates on voice and dance lessons.

They would always eat packed lunch together, and share their meals with each other. They would always race along the hallways to get to the rooms. Sometimes they’d be talking so loudly along the hallways and get scolded by the elders. Nevertheless, Seohyun was very sister-like to Kyungsoo, she’d always remind him to bring certain things to class, or practice for the next lessons. It was a memorable summer.

That little graduation for summer classes finally came. Kyungsoo stood beside Seohyun as they finally finished the culminating event, he was just staring at her, the same way when he first met her, in the park. He wanted to go back to that time, because after today, he’d be left alone once again with the thought of when to meet her in the future. He was only there in that town for a summer vacation. And going from places to places every summer with his parents, it takes only once to stay in a certain place. Even if he could only smile or laugh with Seohyun, he’s going to miss her. It’s not all the time that he gets to meet a playmate.

Seohyun was just receiving praises from the elders and other friends, she was all smiles. That smile she wears, Kyungsoo will never forget it. She finally looked at him, “We did well!” She said. All he could respond was a nod and a smile. She looked so happy.

After taking pictures, when they walked out of the venue, Seohyun took the camera from her mother and ran towards Kyungsoo—who was also holding a camera and running towards the same direction as hers. They stopped for a second and laughed at each other. Their mothers followed them, and took a photo for each of them—together.

“Will I see you again? We can play more games—“ Seohyun started but Kyungsoo, like for the first time, said something.

“I wish to see you too.” But he didn’t look so happy. “But like what I told you before during the voice lessons, I’m only here for vacation.” Seohyun frowned a little. “But don’t worry, I’m really happy to have met you, Seohyun-shi.”

Seohyun smiled back, “I’m really happy too! One day, I’ll be a singer. This is my dream, I hope you’ll reach your dreams too!”

“Then my dream is to become a singer too!” their mothers laughed along with them. Young as they were, memories like this were already built and never forgotten.

 

Seohyun’s coordinator tapped her as she was lost in trance. They just arrived in SM Entertainment’s building. She took her guitar with her that day for practice. Fans were outside the building and just like the usual, took photos. It was always like this but she’ll never grow tired of this kind if life—it was her dream since she was young, to be a singer. And these fans play a huge part of her success in life.

She was greeted by some of the employees inside—coordinators, stylists, make-up artists, choreographers, composers, writers—it’s always busy inside that small building.

She made her way to an empty room. She started strumming her guitar and humming to some songs until the door opened.

They just looked at each other at first, lost for words. Until he respectfully bowed, “Choseonghamnida.”

“Gwenchanayo.” She replied. She sweetly smiled at him. “Are you supposed to go to another room?”

“A-aniyo.” He replied with his eyes looking surprised. “Luna-shi and Krystal-sunbaenim asked me to meet them here for a rehearsal.”

Seohyun smiled, she finally got it. “Ah, so they asked you to come?”

“We’re going to practice this song for their upcoming full album…” D.O. explained.

“Have a seat, Luna also asked me to come. I think it’s because I know the song, ‘Goodbye Summer’ right?” D.O. just nodded and then Seohyun took some guitar chord sheets and started playing Goodbye Summer. D.O.’s jaw dropped a little. Then he just smiled a little—slightly being amazed that Seohyun, his sunbae, knew the song very well.

“Did I get it right…” Seohyun mumbled as she just continued playing. It was kind of awkward so D.O. decided to finally speak. He’s not that little quiet boy anymore.

“I’m sorry, sunbaenim, but why did Luna-shi and Krystal-shi bother you to practice with us? I could have asked Chanyeol to play for us, or Lay.” D.O. said but Seohyun just looked at him, surprised that such junior did not hesitate to ask her something. “I—I mean I know you’re kind of busy with SNSD-sunbaes…”

Seohyun just smiled, “It’s a beautiful song, isn’t it?” then she started singing the chorus part. Then after that, she finally said, “I like this song so much. Amber asked me to check the lyrics before, it means so much to me because she told me that the story I told her before inspired her to write this song.”

“Ah jinjjayo? Then you should be on the credits for this track on the album!” D.O. said.

Seohyun chuckled, “Amber only let me check the lyrics to make sure she did not distort the story I told her before, Amber should be given the credits, not me.”

D.O. just nodded and then the three f(x) members finally arrived.

“I’m sorry we’re late!” Luna giddily apologized. They put down their things on the table and sat across Seohyun, beside D.O.

“It’s okay, I was just telling D.O.-shi the story behind Goodbye Summer.” Seohyun said as she finally stopped strumming the guitar. D.O. almost blushed realizing his sunbae knows his name, even just his stage name.

“Great story, right?” Amber said. “I couldn’t help myself but think it’s actually you.” She told D.O.

“Amber!!!” Seohyun said.

“Ah, waeyo?” She cheekily smiled. “There may be a lot of Do Kyungsoo in the world, but I only know this D.O. as Do Kyungsoo, I can’t help but think that way.”

D.O. was still lost in the conversation so Krystal patted his back. “It’s okay, D.O.-shi, they were just talking about the guy in the song—which we’re going to sing so it’s okay to think it’s you, because you’re the one singing.”

“Let’s start!” Luna said as she clasped her hands.

The practice went on, but D.O. was just too curious because Seohyun did not tell him the rest of the story behind Goodbye Summer. After the practice, Luna and Krystal, together with Amber, headed off for their dance practice for Rum Pum Pum Pum, their promotional song. Seohyun was left with D.O. fixing the room. As a sign of respect, D.O. waited for Seohyun to finish fixing her stuffs before leaving the room. Seohyun bowed to him and left the room. D.O. bowed too, but before he left the room, he noticed a wallet on one of the chairs.

He took it, and guessed it belongs to Seohyun. He hurriedly left the room, but Seohyun wasn’t along the hallway anymore. He decided to just hold on to it until he sees someone related to SNSD to give it back to her.

But then the day ended, and he was out of luck to see anyone close enough to SNSD like their coordi-noona’s or manager. On second thoughts, it may be better to just give back the wallet to Seohyun personally.

As he fixed his beddings in their dorm, he remembered the wallet that belongs to Seohyun which was still inside his bag. He checked to make sure it’s still there so he can finally return it tomorrow. He pursed his lips as he found it there. He took it and looked at it for a few seconds. Before he returned it inside his bag, something fell. He picked it up and saw it was a picture—a very familiar picture of two children smiling happily before the camera. It took a few seconds before he realized it was him on the picture. He has the same picture taken when he was still a child, when he first took voice lessons.

Then realizations finally hit him. He couldn’t fall asleep, he cannot let each minute just pass by him. So the next day came and he got up earliest. He left the dorm by himself and it was even just sunrise when he came to the company. No fans were around yet, even the building was almost empty.

He wanted to just work out or practice by himself when he passed by a room which was slightly opened. It was Seohyun, looking for something. He was supposed to knock but then Seohyun already saw him. She almost even jumped in surprise to see someone was there as early as her.

“Oh, D.O.-shi.” She shyly greeted. She looked around, still looking for something.

D.O. slightly bowed and stepped inside the room, “I’m sorry if I scared you. Are you looking for something?”

Seohyun sighed, “I think I left my wallet yesterday in one of the practice rooms I went in.”

D.O. smiled to himself and took the wallet from his bag, “I found it yesterday.” He handed it to Seohyun, “I’m sorry I couldn’t give it back to you right away. I had schedules and I’m guessing you also had.”

Seohyun sighed in relief and bowed to D.O., “Thank you very much, D.O.shi.” D.O. just bowed to return respect. Seohyun was very happy to finally have her wallet back. She was about to walk out of the room when D.O. called her back.

“Ah, Seohyun-shi?” Then she looked back at her. Then D.O. saw them—those eyes that he saw when he was just a child. The eyes that looked at him when he was alone. She may have grown to a pretty lady but he could still see those eyes.

He stepped closer to her, still just looking at her eyes. “N-neh, D.O.-shi?” She stuttered as she grew curious why her junior just called her back.

Then slowly, he handed her something. “This fell from your wallet when I was holding onto it.” Seohyun slowly took the picture and smiled as she looked at it.

“Thank you, D.O.-shi, this picture means a lot to me. It’s shameful to know you saw my childhood picture.” She chuckled lightly.

“So both of our dreams actually came true…” D.O. mumbled, and Seohyun just looked at him—unsure of what he meant. “We both dreamed to be singers, right? And here we are—“

“I’m sorry but—“

“Neh, I’m Do Kyungsoo.” D.O. smiled widely at her. She was left with no words to say. For a few seconds, they just stood there looking at each other, trying to figure out how fate must have played on them. For years that they’ve been in the same company, it’s only now that they realized it and found each other.

“D-do you want to uh… practice Goodbye Summer for a while, as we wait for them to arrive?” Seohyun was referring to f(x) members as they have another practice today before recording the song. D.O. smiled and nodded.

I remember when we were yelled at for talking in the halls
I don’t know why it was so fun even when we were being punished
After that day (yeah yeah) we always (yeah yeah)
Stuck together like the Astro twins, you were me and I was you

You cried so much on the day before graduation
You held it in firmly since you’re a guy
Just like that hot summer when we couldn’t say what we wanted, goodbye

The friend label is a label that I got to hate
The feelings I’ve hidden still remain as a painful secret memory
The photos that can’t define our relationship is a heartbreaking story
I’m sorry, summer, now goodbye, yeah

What do I say, we didn’t have to play no games
I should’ve took that chance, I should’ve asked for you to stay
And it gets me down the unsaid words that still remain
The story ended without even starting

Your song on the last day of the school festival, the flickering summer sea
Our feelings that were precious because we were together
Like the deepening night sky, goodbye

The friend label is a label that I got to hate
The feelings I’ve hid still remain as a painful secret memory
The photos that can’t define our relationship is a heartbreaking story
I’m sorry, summer, now goodbye, yeah

Baby oh no oh oh
I’m sorry that this is a monologue
Oh, actually, I love you, yeah
If only our long-time hidden secrets were revealed
I would hold you in my arms

The friend label is a label that I got to hate
The feelings I’ve hid still remain as a painful secret memory
The photos that can’t define our relationship is a heartbreaking story
I’m sorry, summer, now goodbye, yeah

The friend label is a label that I got to hate
A heartbreaking story, I’m sorry, summer, now goodbye, yeah


 

Seohyun smiled at D.O. as they finished. It felt nice for Seohyun to sing the song about her past with the person from it.

“So this was the story behind this song…” D.O. said as he looked at the lyrics. Seohyun just nodded. “But I didn’t cry that day.”

Seohyun, “Neh?” D.O. almost blushed, “Y-yah! You cried before that culminating activity! How can you forget?”

D.O. laughed, “I’m just kidding.” Seohyun sighed in relief, “It’s just embarrassing to remember this now.” He then covered his face. Seohyun thought it was cute of him.

“Don’t be—it was a summer to remember! It definitely has an impact in our lives now.” Seohyun took the picture once again and looked at it, “It was the day when we told ourselves to become singers.”

“Ah jinjja—“ D.O. mumbled to himself, “I can’t believe I used to play with Girls’ Generation’s Seohyun when I was a child.” Seohyun just chuckled.

“I bet a lot of girls will be jealous of me when they found out I knew you before them.” Seohyun stuck her tongue out and laughed softly. “It’s just really amazing.”

Then finally, Luna, Amber and Krystal arrived.

“We came on time but we still felt like we’re late.” Luna said and Seohyun and D.O. just laughed at her remark.

Amber handed D.O. something, “I bumped into Kai this morning, he told me to give you back this childhood picture of yours.” D.O. took it and thanked Amber.

“Prepare yourselves to be revealed with lots of childhood pictures on variety shows.” Krystal teased.

“May I see it?” Seohyun asked.

“H-huh?” D.O. hesitated on giving Seohyun the picture Amber just handed back to him but Seohyun already snatched it from him. She was surprised with what she saw.

“Cute, isn’t it?” Amber said. Seohyun nodded, and then looked at D.O. She smiled at him brightly. D.O. had to look down so his blush wouldn’t appear. Amber was clearing the table when she saw another picture on the table. “Oh, Seohyun-shi, is this yours? May I see?” But she finally took it. Her eyes grew wide—seeing the same children on the picture from D.O.’s.

“Aish, Amber Liu!” Seohyun snatched it back from Amber, and gave D.O. back his photo.

“D.O. was the little boy you met—“

“Yes, yes. We just found out about it too.” Seohyun responded.

“Ahhhhh daebak.” Amber said. “How does it feel?” Amber suddenly started throwing questions.

“Aigoo, Amber Liu.” Seohyun just laughed, “we better start practicing before you guys record this song. I am a busy person.” She then winked at D.O. then they started practicing only for an hour before they record the song.

Seohyun was left alone in the room as the four left to record it. But then a few seconds later as she was fixing her things, D.O. came back. “Did you forget something?”

“No—no I did not.” D.O. answered honestly. “I just want to ask you something…” Seohyun then waited for him to ask, “Why is Goodbye Summer a sad song?”

Seohyun looked down, “It’s because I didn’t know I was going to meet you again. But I’m really happy now.”

“That time, I didn’t know what it feels like to have a friend so I’m really thankful when you approached me first that summer. My family always go out of town during summer, but all the trips after that summer did not mean anything…” D.O. “Because I was always looking for a playmate or a friend like you.”

“D.O.-shi…”

“I looked for you everywhere and—nothing. I’m just really happy right now.” D.O. eyes were almost teary.

Seohyun stepped closer to him and held his hands, “It’s okay. I did the same. But now we finally found each other, okay? Let’s be happy as friends that we used to be—or who knows maybe we can be more than that?”

“We can?” D.O.’s eyes lit up.

Seohyun chuckled, “But I’m not ready for fangirls to kill me. Plus we have lots of catching up’s to do!” They both chuckled. “I guess it’s really ‘goodbye summer’, because we’d be seeing each other not just every summer, right?”

D.O. nodded, “Neh.”

“What are you waiting for? You should go now and record that song beautifully, ok?” Seohyun said and D.O. nodded. Seohyun thought he already left when he walked out of the door, but then she heard footsteps inside the room. She looked back and saw D.O. came back.

“What, again?” Seohyun smiled at him.

“I really forgot something this time.” D.O. sheepishly smiled as he walked closer to Seohyun.

“What is it?” Seohyun has just asked when D.O. pulled her to an embrace. “D.O.-shi…”

“There’s a line in Goodbye Summer that says, ‘If only our long-time secrets were revealed, I would hold you in my arms’, I’m just putting it to action…” D.O. said as Seohyun smiled and just hugged him back. “Oh, and maybe I can ask sunbae for an ice cream treat next time?” Then they both chuckled remember the first time they met when Seohyun treated him an ice cream.