I Don't Mind

ONESHOT Compilations

[Listen: Girls' Day - I Don't Mind]

“Chen-shi…” Seohyun stuttered as Chen blocked her way, and as she stepped back, she finally reached a wall that blocked her from stepping away further from him. Chen stopped just a few feet away from Seohyun. His hands were inside his pockets, and he just looked at her admiring every feature of her—from her hair to the ends of its strands, down to the flawlessness of her whole body. Seohyun felt uneasy, but she saw admiration from Chen’s eyes—there wasn’t any lust or harm from them.  

Slowly, he stepped closer to her to lessen the gap, but not totally closing them. Their noses were almost touching, his gaze fell from her eyes, slowly, down to her lips as she pursed them. He’s a grown up man now, and she couldn’t deny the fact that she felt the same attraction she tried to avoid for the longest time. It wasn’t easy. Her breathing almost stopped as Chen leaned in, his hot breath brushed against her lips. His eyes slowly closed, and Seohyun could hear every ticking of the second hand of his watch that was on his wrist as he pulled her by the side of her neck. But the kiss that could have been passionate one was just a meaningful peck as Seohyun pushed him away from her before the moment she could be lured by this man. He stepped back with eyes asking and wondering what just happened.

“Why can’t you understand, Chen?” Seohyun softly asked. She controlled her voice unless she want the entire place to hear them talking this way. “We can’t do this. We’re not the same anymore as who we used to be. Let’s stop this, okay? Please.” Seohyun said.

Chen’s fists clenched. But all he had to do was to inhale as deep as he could before saying, “You’re not just a teacher to me, Seohyun-noona.” Her heart broke a little, because she felt the same as Chen. She had always liked him, but she just couldn’t admit it. She can never do so. “We can’t deny the tension between us, the way we feel for each other—“

“You’re just a student to me, Chen-shi.” Seohyun said. Chen stepped back. Seohyun looked at him one more time before she decided to walk away. However, he held her arm and stopped her.

“Don’t lie, Seohyun-noona.” Chen looked at her directly in the eyes. “I know how you feel, because I feel it too.”

Seohyun shrugged his grip on her arm, “I told you to stop it, Kim Jongdae-shi.” She sighed, “You’re just a student, our worlds are very much different from each other. Let’s keep it that way.”

“Ani—“ He held her back again but the school bell finally rang. Students from different classrooms around them started going out until the hallway was almost full. Chen slowly removed her grip from her arm, and she bowed slightly to him, acting as if they just met along the corridor. He stood there amidst the forming crowd of the students who were dismissed, unmoved.

 

Seohyun and Chen were schoolmates back in high school. They were good friends and both of them knew they felt something special for each other even if none of them admitted it directly. It wasn’t totally unrequited love for they knew they were happy. They believed they were still young that time and they had to wait, but the assurance of being together regularly at school was enough for both of them to hold on. It was a promise—a teenage promise. And everyone knew some promises are meant to be broken.

As Chen sat down on one of the benches near the school gate, he let out a sigh as memories flashed back.

Back then, Seohyun did not even properly said goodbye to him. As soon as she graduated, being his noona, she just left like that and went to college. Chen was very much hurt and disappointed. Soon, they lost contact too. Chen had no idea where Seohyun went, how she had been doing. His life went on alone when he used to have someone to be with every morning walk to school, every lunch and every dismissal—sometimes even during dinner meals. When he was in senior high school, after Seohyun left, his life was a waste.

He tried to move on. But his personality changed with it. It changed through time. As he entered college, he dragged this personality with him—a badass kingka. His left ear was pierced, and his group of friends was the one that included both the bad guys and females in the campus. He’s one of the disciplinary officer’s favourite helper, though he’s not so helpful, when it comes to detentions. His personality changed completely through time.

He’s become a different person. People liked it, though a lot hated him. Girls admired him, but most cried because of him. He played with jars of heart. He had no trustworthy friends because he wasn’t one either.

Though after a couple of years in college, he’s already in his last year. And the only turning point of his meaningless life was the new professor in the university he was attending—Seo Joohyun. His first love.

It was as if the bad guy was suddenly tamed. It was the first day he met her again after so many years—though it was a shame that he was stuck in college. That moment, he quickly cut classes and chased her in the campus. Finding her in every classroom after not being able to speak during their meeting. He could only stare at her, and she could only avoid his gaze.

What happened in the hallway was absurd. But without understanding anything, all Chen could think of was to kiss her. He missed her that much. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and let her know how he had been when she was away. He could forgive her totally, if only she’d let him do those things. But all he received was a rejection. It seemed that he wasn’t the only one who changed, Seohyun did too. He could only sit down and think of how tangled up everything, and yet it’s too unclear for him.

“Oh, Chen!” His group of friends suddenly came. Some of them came in pairs. “You’re early this afternoon!”

Chen had to compose himself right away, he smirked. “I’m Chen, I don’t stay inside the classroom with boring teachers and boring classmates.” They just laughed together and high-fived each other, and then they left the school grounds.

From afar, Seohyun watched Chen from the second floor of a building. She hugged her things to her chest and studied Chen’s actions and friends. He wasn’t the Chen she used to know. She watched her until he left with his friends—the kind of friends Chen never had during high school.  She sighed, heart partly breaking.

 She touched her lips remembering what happened earlier. As much as she wanted to admit to herself that she still loves him despite of being away for too long, she couldn’t. It felt wrong—especially that she’s his teacher now. As much as she knew, Chen should have graduated two years ago. She felt confident to teach because she was sure enough that she wouldn’t be seeing Chen in any campus.

Was she avoiding Chen? No. Perhaps, she was just scared to see him after a couple of years of being away. She knew she was wrong. And for that, she believed she doesn’t deserve Chen anymore. What she did was unforgivable. Even if she would try to explain why she had to leave right away, the bottom of it all was that she was wrong, and that’s it.

 

The following days came. Chen kept up with his image. But he sought revenge.

Seohyun was checking attendance and she noticed Chen’s seat was empty. She understood that her class was after lunch, but she still expected her students to come to class on time. Besides, it’s only Chen who wasn’t there yet. She put down her class list and sighed, “I’ll check the attendance at the end of the period.” Secretly giving Chen a chance to come to class.

So he did. Except that Seohyun’s class was nearly done. Her subject was halfway done and when Chen came, he openly disturbed the class by opening the door first, before kissing a girl goodbye.

However, the students did not utter a word when Chen came. The entire class just looked at him, and then focused back on the lesson. Seohyun could just look at his grand entrance as he made his way to his seat. She felt her temper rising upon seeing him kiss another girl, but she composed herself and just let out a breath. As she gave an activity, she glanced at Chen who was looking at her too. At first she saw soft gaze from his eyes, but as soon as he noticed they were already staring at each other, Chen quickly looked away. Upon the submission of his paper, it was blank. Seohyun stood up, and called him back.

“Excuse me, Mr. Kim Jongdae.” Chen stopped midway towards the door. Everyone already left the room. He knew Seohyun would call him back for submitting a blank paper. “Can I have a word, please?”

He walked towards her as she fixed the papers on the table. He stood there without saying anything.

Seohyun looked at him, “You came late to my class, and did not answer your paper. What am I supposed to do with you?”

It took a few seconds before Chen could answer, “Maybe you can let me leave this room right now just like what you did to me a couple of years back.”

Seohyun was surprised but she managed to respond something appropriately, “I am not talking about us, Jongdae-shi. I am talking about your academics.”

“Why do you care?” Chen was pissed off. “If I fail, then I fail. When did you really care about me, huh?!”

“Chen, I told you I am not talking about—“

“See? There you go again, no matter how hard you try, you’d still end up calling me by that name.”

“Why are you so mad?? God—“ Seohyun sighed. She was controlling the tears that were already blurring her eyes. She looked away from Chen to compose herself once again. “Kim Jongdae-shi, you’ve been coming to my class late every meeting, submitting blank papers, not paying attention to my lectures, and I can always see just how much you want to step out of this classroom every single time. What are you doing with your life?!”

He missed her so much. She never called her by his full name before, she even gave him the name Chen to keep everything short. Hearing her call him by his full name drove him mad. There goes again the urge for him to just pull her into his arms and embrace her tightly. But he couldn’t. “Don’t you get it?”

“To be very honest I don’t understand anything that you’re doing.”

“Then I’ll help you understand.” Chen removed his hands inside his pockets and stepped forward, closer to the table. The only space between the two of them now was the small table itself. He looked at her straight in the eyes, trying to lure her. “You left me and I was hurt. And now you came back, but you don’t even try to mend my heart.” He spoke with His hand slowly reached for hers resting on the table. He caressed the back of her hand slowly, sending shivers down her spine. She wasn’t enjoying this, when clearly, Chen was soothing himself. “Now you ask me what you’re supposed to do with my academic grades, and what if I ask you what am I supposed to do with my heart?” He slowly walked beside her. Seohyun was frozen on her spot. She did not even dare looking at Chen who was already standing beside her. “You can fail me,” he whispered to her ear. His hot breath touched her skin. “But I’m going to get even.”

She finally snapped her thoughts and looked at him, without realizing how close they were. “By any chance, are you blackmailing me? For leaving you?” She could almost cry because Chen was driving her this mad. She was almost shaking in anger.

Chen grabbed her arm tightly. “You broke my heart, I am going to break yours too.”

She tried to remove his hand on her arm. It was hurting. He gripped too tightly. “How is talking about your academic performance related to breaking my heart?”

“Hmm, let’s see.” Chen bit his lower lip and looked back at Seohyun. “If I fail to graduate, won’t your heart shatter into pieces? I think, as I last counted, I’m already delayed in college by two years…”

“Ch-Chen…” For if Chen fails because of her, the university’s administrators will question her first year of teaching in this school.

“And I’m already qualified to graduate and all I have to do is pass all of my subjects. Now if you fail me…” Chen looked at her, smirking. “Won’t your heart break?” he scoffed and strongly removed his grip on her arm. “Think again, seonsaengnim.” He walked towards the door when Seohyun held him back by his wrist.

“Don’t do this.” Seohyun pleaded. “Please.” It was her turn to hold onto his arm, but he just shrugged it off and continued leaving the room. “Chen!” She called him once more, but he just ignored her. She was left there standing alone. She wiped the first tear that she tried to keep from falling when she was talking with Chen. Some of the words he said were too painful to handle. She suddenly felt chest pain; she had to quickly pick her things up from the table to go to the faculty lounge.

On the other hand, as soon as Chen reached the other side of the hallway, he quickly stopped from walking and composed himself back. He sighed, and just leaned on the wall, trying to keep himself from shedding tears. He has to be strong and mean the words he said.

 

“You’re still taking meds?” Suho, another professor, asked her. “I thought you said you already stopped.” Seohyun just faked a smile after drinking a glass of water.

“I had to. My doctor told me to take them when I feel pain in my chest.” She said as she went back to her table in the faculty office. Her table was just across Suho’s.

“Did anything trigger it?” Suho asked.

“I’m fine, maybe I’m just stressed from work.” She sighed, but pretended to be fine. “Exam week is coming, that’s why.”

“Oh, but shouldn’t it be the students who are stressed?” Suho joked and they both chuckled. “Anyway, take good care of yourself, Ms. Seo. I had an uncle who tried to recover from a heart surgery, he didn’t last for so long.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Seohyun said, quite alarmed. “But I’m perfectly fine. I think my body’s just adjusting to work.”

“I don’t mean to pry, but can I ask you something?” Seohyun just nodded at Suho and smiled softly. “Why did you have to go back here in Korea? You could have just stayed in America for full recovery.”

Seohyun’s smile slowly faded. The question struck her at an unexpected time.

“I-I’m sorry, you don’t have to answer that question.” Suho said, “It’s not that I don’t want you here—I’m just concerned… as a co-employee, yes. About your health—“

“It’s okay.” Seohyun smiled again. “I just had to visit a friend, but maybe soon, I’ll go back to America.” Suho then smiled back and nodded. They went back to their own works and Seohyun was just stared.

A day after Seohyun’s graduation, her father forced her to a flight to America. She was supposed to have post-celebration with Chen that day, but she couldn’t even say goodbye properly. Her father was strict and young as she was, she couldn’t say no. besides, she understood why her father was so strict, she has a heart disease. The only way for her to completely recover this was to have a surgery in America. It was supposed to be mid-highschool, but because Seohyun was so stubborn upon leaving Chen, it was post-poned, by force, until her graduation.

Chen did not know about this. Seohyun did not want him to worry about her health. She left just like that. She did not attend school, instead, she was home-schooled. She did not want to be at the hospital for a long time without doing anything. She had to keep herself busy so she asked for her father for a private tutorial session. Because Seohyun was bright, she learned well while undergoing therapies after her surgery. When the doctor said it was already fine for her to attend school, she did not waste any time. She finished college, and asked her father to let her go back to Korea. She reasoned that she already left it without saying goodbye to her friends, it’s only fair to go back and explain. Seohyun was provided with medicines and was in contact with high-class doctors in Korea as ordered by her father.

It was never her intention to break Chen’s heart. She just had to literally repair hers first before completely giving her heart to him. She cannot imagine dying. So she had to agree to go to America, and be cured.

It was partly successful. She’s now back, but Chen couldn’t accept her. She doesn’t know how to explain it to him. She cannot just let him kiss her. He’s her student. They need more time to catch up with the things they missed.

But Chen has changed. Seohyun never really changed, but she’s matured enough to let Chen take his time to realize things. She just has to wait.

She wasn’t expecting to see Chen in the same school she applied in. She thought she’d probably see Chen working somewhere. She was even thinking of meeting him, matured as they are now, like two professional workers talking in a coffee shop. But it didn’t go that way.

Her heart was damaged. But so as Chen’s, figuratively.

 

 

“You may submit when you finish your work.” Seohyun said as she sat down on the teacher’s chair. Chen just watched her. Just like the usual, he did not even bother looking at the paper. He just watched her work from her table while the rest of the class make their seat work. It’s been a week since they had the talk after class.

Chen thought, ‘Is she giving up that easily?’ since she did not bother talking to him anymore or reminding him to participate during the class discussions or do his seat work or quizzes, or papers. She did not argue anymore if he comes late to class—which was always. He should be contented, but he was more bothered. One by one, the students submitted their papers and left the room. Soon, before the bell rang as the official time, only Chen was left sitting on his chair. Seohyun looked at him, but she did not even show any reaction. The bell finally rang, so she stood up to leave.

Chen remained sitting. He was about to call her but then another professor came.

“Mr. Kim?” Seohyun was surprised to see Suho inside the classroom.

“I had a class beside this room, I didn’t know you’re here.” Suho said then he noticed another student was still there. “Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you’re done with your class.”

“Neh?” Seohyun then realized Suho was talking about Chen who was just looking at them. “Ah, of course. I’m done.” Then she smiled at Suho.

“Ah, that’s good. I heard there was a newly opened diner two blocks away from here…” Suho said as he left the room with Seohyun. Chen was utterly surprised that Seohyun played it cool that he was still there, and she should have waited for him to pass his paper.

 

That afternoon, Chen was with a different girl again. He let her cling to him as they their way to the diner Suho was talking about. He looked around, and saw him. He was with Seohyun but they just finished eating. They walked towards the exit, and Seohyun stopped when she saw him blocking their way.

“Excuse me,” Suho politely said, not really recognizing Chen from this afternoon.

“Can you give us a moment, seonsaengnim? I have something to tell Ms. Seo.” Chen said.

Seohyun quickly gave Suho a nod, “He’s my student.”

“Ah,” Suho nodded. “I’m going to get my car first.” He excused himself and left the restaurant. Chen watched him leave, and faced Seohyun once he was sure enough Suho wasn’t there anymore.

“What do you want to tell me, Jongdae-shi?” Seohyun politely asked. Chen just scoffed as he dragged her outside. “What are you doing?! Chen!”

Chen finally stopped walking and let her hand go. “Huh? She knows your nickname?” The girl Chen was with asked. Seohyun looked at her and realized her mistake. However, Chen just ignored the girl who tagged along with him.

“You left the room earlier without even asking me to pass my paper, so here.” He handed her his paper. Seohyun just looked at it.

She scoffed, “You bothered submitting a blank paper to me outside the school?” Chen just looked at her. “Are you serious?” Seohyun was a bit annoyed.

“Has it always been easy for you to leave me?” Chen suddenly asked, putting underlying meanings on every word he said in that question. “Seohyun, did you ever understand my heart? Don’t you see what I’m doing here? I’m giving you something I worked hard on. So don’t just stand there and accept this paper!” He was almost crumpling the paper, he was shaking. He was mad again.

“Did you just call her Seohyun—“ The girl innocently asked Chen but he just glared at her making her shut up.

“Yah, Kim Jongdae.” Seohyun looked directly in his eyes. “Who do you think you’re raising your voice to?”

“Just accept this freaking paper!” he shouted at her, making the other girl step back. Seeing Chen this mad was scary, that even Seohyun could just slowly extend her hand to take the paper from him, no matter how idiotic it would be to accept a blank paper from a student outside the school.

When Seohyun held the other side of the paper, Chen quickly let go of the paper and pulled her wrist. His lips crashed into hers. He was lost in the kiss he initiated by himself. Seohyun’s eyes widened in surprise. He was kissing her passionately, and it almost deepened as Seohyun slowly got lost with the way he was kissing her. There wasn’t any lust. It was purely love and passion. She could tell Chen was still completely in love with her. And she felt the same. She really does. Her hand was on his chest as she struggled to push him away from her. But in a few seconds, her eyes closed with his. She slowly found herself kissing him back, almost as passionate as he did.

Maybe Chen was mad because both of them couldn’t find a way to start all over again.

She ought to understand, but then it finally hit her that she’s his teacher. And they’re kissing in public.    She quickly pulled away though her hands were still on his chest. She looked at him, and the bad guy eyes were nowhere to be found. This look was the Chen she’d been longing for since she left and since she came back.

“Chen—did you just… kiss our teacher?” The girl Chen was with asked with mouth agape. Chen just ignored her while Seohyun looked down, a little confused of what just happened.

She finally put down her hands, straightening the crumpled paper in her hands. She stepped back a little to create a space between them. Then they heard a honk. It was Suho calling for Seohyun.

Seohyun was about to leave without saying anything again, but then Chen held her wrist. It wasn’t tight, it was just enough to stop her from leaving. “If you leave me again, right now, you’re really breaking my heart this time.”

The words seemed to shock Seohyun that she could hardly breathe. She felt her chest suffering from sudden pain once again. She wanted to stay and just let Chen know she still feels the same. She still loves him but the chest pain she has right now was slowly suffocating her. She has to leave, no matter what choices were given to her by Chen.

It wasn’t to break his heart, it wasn’t her intention.

“I’m sorry, Chen.” She could only utter three words before she started walking towards Suho’s car. As soon as she entered, she breathed heavily. “Please, take me to the hospital.” She told Suho as he rushed driving towards the nearest one.

Chen watched Suho’s car leave with Seohyun.

She did not seem to mean what she said, and her decision was obviously wrong for Chen. But Chen kept asking himself, ‘why did she have to leave me again?’

 

Seohyun sat on the hospital bed as the doctor checked her vital signs before she can leave the hospital. She was just given a treatment and meds, and she’s fine to go home now. She thanked her doctor before he left her. Then Suho entered the room.

“Thank you for taking me here.” Seohyun pertained to the hospital. Suho just sweetly smiled at her—he was always smiling anyway.

“By any chance…” Suho scratched the back of her head. “Is the friend you’re talking about was that student?”

“Neh?” Seohyun was surprised by his question. Did he happen to see the kiss?

“He… well, he seemed to match the friend you were talking about. He’s a student, but he’s not that young either. He’s very much close to your age. And he wouldn’t do those things to a teacher he doesn’t personally know.”

He did see. Seohyun thought. “I’m sorry I had to keep it a secret.” She looked down.

“Gwenchana.” Suho patted her shoulder and smiled again at her. “I’m sorry I had to lie too.”

“Eh?”

“That uncle I was talking about, who had a heart disease too, was my father.” He looked down, but he still forced a smile.

“Suho-shi…”

“It’s okay. I just want you to take care of yourself. I wasn’t able to take care of my father very well, so I was hoping I could take care of you.” Suho said.

“You already are.” Seohyun held his hand and squeezed it. “Don’t be sad. Besides, I’m okay. Sometimes, I’m just prone to getting heart attacks.” Then they both chuckled. “Anyway, I’m really sorry about your father.”

Suho just smiled at her. And she did the same, thankful to meet a good friend like Suho.

 

Rumors spread about the kiss between Chen and Seohyun. However, it eventually died down as Suho tried to protect Seohyun and falsify the news. The school administration also junked the rumors.

“Yah! What the hell are you trying to do?!” Chen was mad at the girl she was with that time when he kissed Seohyun.

“I was only spreading a true rumor!” She defended.

“Rumor?” Chen sneered. “It doesn’t involve you and you’re destroying people, who do you think you are?!”

“Why are you so mad? Dude, relax.” One of his friends calmed him down by putting a hand over his shoulder but he just shrugged it off.

“I’m not enjoying this kind of game.” Chen eyed him. “Stop being so childish.” This is the side of Chen that shows he’s matured compared to everyone in the school. He’s done with the childish games he used to play to break hearts of random people. He was that bad guy. He may carry on this image, but since Seohyun came back, a part of him wanted to change that image. However, it’s just as hard.

“Ya-yah! Isn’t it true? This girl saw you kissing her!” Another guy said. Chen looked again at the girl.

“True or not, it doesn’t matter. If you want to mess with me, mess with me. Not with Professor Seo.” Chen said before he walked away.

“Aigoo, that kid.” The same guy muttered. “Guys, don’t you think he’s just protecting that teacher?”

“That’s right. His words tell so!” The girl said to boost support from these group of guys that what she was spreading was indeed real.

“Aish, Kim Jongdae.” The guy crossed his arms. “This isn’t your kind of game, but it is ours.” He then shook his head but a playful smile plastered on his lips.

“Then let’s keep him out of the game—or it’s up to him if he will.” Another guy said. “He can be the bait for our target. That teacher is suspicious anyway. This game is going to be fun!” then they started giving each other high-five’s.


 

Their class was on an educational trip out of town. It doesn’t include all the classes but Seohyun’s class with Chen was. They had hiking and other adventures in the mountains. They explored a lot of things but Chen was just silent. Seohyun was silent as well. She did not even talk to her students, she just let them do what they want and for the tour guides to explain things to the students. Suho wanted to comfort her or to at least start little conversations but it seems that Seohyun would rather be alone as of the moment. Because of the strange behaviour of Seohyun and Chen, some students—Chen’s friends, in particular, became even more suspicious of the two.

It has been a long day for all the students and teachers. They will spend the night in a resort big enough to accommodate all the students. It was a huge resort and the rooms were assigned by class and groups. Moreover, the faculty were given a separate cottage to watch over the rooms where the students were and at the same time, give them freedom to enjoy the rest of the night. It was their field trip after all. It’s up to them how they would want to rest after a tiring day.

The students were allowed to enjoy themselves by swimming until midnight. They were expected to get up early on the next day so the teachers asked them to sleep by twelve. They were in the middle of swimming and playing around, but Chen, shirtless, just sat on one corner of the pool and was stared on the water. He thought of swimming, but then he felt too bothered to even think of it.

Meanwhile, in a separate pool, just a wall beside where the students were, the teachers enjoyed swimming and playing. Seohyun, just like Chen, was just stared. She was just sitting there with her legs submerged in the pool. Hours passed and one by one, the students went to their rooms to rest and have a peaceful sleep. The same happened with the teachers.

It was only Suho who was left with Seohyun.

“Aren’t you sleeping yet?” Suho asked Seohyun as he dried himself with a white towel. Seohyun just smiled at him and shook her head.

“I’ll follow.” She said and Suho just nodded. He headed back to the faculty’s cottage and soon, it was only Seohyun left. She remained in the same position—sitting on the side of the pool.

Chen’s friends, as usual, broke the rule and drank some alcohol without the knowledge of the teachers. However, Chen controlled the situation and forced them to sleep soundly in their respective rooms unless they want to be sanctioned. He was left alone and cleaned up the place by himself.  As he passed by the pool of the faculty, he noticed someone dove into the pool. He heard it right. Someone was swimming. He was supposed to just ignore it, because that place was off-limits for the students. But when the teacher got up from the pool, he saw a beautiful body and perfect curves in a peach pair of swimsuit. Her long hair, now wet because of swimming, flowed behind her back.

It was Seohyun.

Chen looked at their rooms just a few meters away from where he already was—but then he thought breaking the rules tonight would be easy because his friends are surely fast asleep. Everyone was—it was an exhausting day anyway. He walked slowly towards where Seohyun was.  

Seohyun was supposed to dive in once more, to swim more. To freshen up. She wanted to forget things for a moment. The impact of diving into the water wasn’t good for her chest, but that pain was more bearable than the pain Chen was giving her. She was supposed to jump in, but then someone held her back.

She was surprised to see Chen stopped her. The light coming from the small post on the sides of the pool almost blinded her, but she could perfectly see a grown-up man with his body well-built. Years ago, Chen was just that thin boy, but now he’s really grown-up.

“It’s already late, you should get some rest.” Chen wrapped a white robe in soft fabric around her body. For a moment there, Seohyun was frozen. But then she quickly took it from there, she continued fixing the robe on her. Chen awkwardly looked away. Seohyun was worried if Chen saw the scar on her chest—the only mark that she underwent an operation before.

They sat together on the side of the pool. At first, they were just staring at the pool. But then Chen finally decided to speak up.

“I’m sorry for what happened that afternoon at the diner.” Chen said. Seohyun was a bit surprised that the new Chen can still apologize.

“It already happened.” Seohyun vaguely answered.

“When you left, I was really miserable. I kept asking myself if I had done something wrong that I deserved to lose you.” Chen glanced at Seohyun, then he looked again at the pool. “We weren’t together yet, and then I lost you.”

“I’m sorry. I really am.” Seohyun muttered.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Chen asked. This is the kind of conversation to clear things up.  None of them raised the tone of their voices. Both were just looking for answers.

“Because I swore to myself that I’ll come back. That’s why I’m here.” Seohyun looked at Chen, “That’s why I’m here now.”

“Why can’t you tell me the reason why you left?” Chen asked. Seohyun’s eyes moistened. She cannot tell him everything right now. It’s not a safe place to talk about this. It’s not the right time.

“I’m not sure how you’ll handle it.” Seohyun looked away but it’s true. Who knows how Chen will react to this? To know that Seohyun was once sick. “For now, I guess it’s better to keep things this way. I guess it’s enough for you to know that I’m here.”

“Don’t you get it? I get so scared each day with the thought that you might just leave again, without letting me know. Without keeping in touch with me.” Chen said.

Seohyun looked down, afraid that she can’t guarantee Chen that she’ll be staying. One day may come that she’d have to go back to America for further recovery. She just really had to see him that’s why she came back.

“You’re leaving again, aren’t you?” Chen finally asked.

“It’s not that I want it—“

“Do you have any idea how you break my heart?” Chen asked once more. He silenced Seohyun who was now contemplating on what to tell him and which part of the story.

Seohyun thought she heard something from the other side of the pool—where the students were. But then it was empty—only Chen was awake right now among the students.

“Chen, I don’t know how to explain things to you. I don’t know how I’ll be able to make you understand why I had to leave. And why I will have to, again, someday.” Chen only looked down. Seohyun took his hand, “But trust me, I will let you know once I know you’ll be fine. That right time will come, you just have to wait for it. For now, we can’t be together because I’m your teacher. Do you understand that?”

Chen nodded a little. She has a point. They can’t be secretly together. All he has to accomplish now is one thing: to graduate. That’s one of the two options for them to be together—one is having Seohyun resign.

“I knew you would. And I’m glad.” Seohyun said. Looking at Chen right now makes everything seem so easy.

“I’m also glad to have you around…” Chen admitted. “It feels so nice to see you every single day. It gives me hope. You’re always that special to me, Seohyun…” He confessed.

Seohyun thought she heard some noise again. But then, there was no one around. “I think we need to rest now.”

Chen smiled a bit, “You’re right. We’re still off early tomorrow morning.” He finally stood up, and helped Seohyun to get on her feet too.

Seohyun stood in front of him, and her hand was still in his after helping her stand. She waited for him to let go of her hand, but Chen ended up intertwining their fingers. She thought she felt butterflies in her stomach.

“I missed holding your hand.” Chen looked at their hands together. Seohyun just watched Chen. “I really missed you.” Chen finally looked at her. The water from the pool reflected on both of their eyes. It was pitch dark, but then the small light posts paved a way for the light to come through. That way, they can still see each other clearly.

“Chen…” Seohyun mumbled as Chen took another step forward and bridged the gap between them. He removed his hand from hers and then cupped her cheeks gently.

“Please, just let me.” He whispered as he leaned in and slowly, his lips touched hers. This time, she did not argue anymore. It felt perfect. Her eyes slowly closed and her hand s around his shoulders. She finally gave in—if that’s the only way to let him know she still loves him. His hand travelled from her cheeks down to the side of her neck. The other hand s around her slender waist to keep her close to him.

“Chen, we should rest.” Seohyun said in between kisses.

“I know…” Chen fought the urge to continue kissing her. His eyes were still closed but then he forced himself to open them. Seohyun tiptoed once more and gave a long peck on his lips before removing his arms around her. But then he quickly wrapped his arms around her once more and prolonged the kiss. He loves her that much. He just couldn’t let go that easily. Who knows when this can happen again? In a millions years? He wasn’t sure.

But then Seohyun stopped him when she heard a shutter sound. She quickly pulled away when she saw some students were actually around them—hiding and capturing what was happening. She slightly pushed Chen away—letting him know what was happening.

Chen was surprised to see his group of friends smiling at him. The cameras of their phone were , taking a video of what was happening. And then they all stopped and kept their phones.

“What are you doing?!” Chen kept his voice down to avoid waking up the teachers.

“Stop acting, Chen.” One of the guys said. “You’re a part of this game—isn’t this your idea?”

“What?!” Chen was confused. Seohyun looked away from the students, and covered herself with her arms even if she was already wearing a robe. She still felt like she was embarrassed. She listened to those who were talking.

“Ms. Seo,” The guy called her attention. “You fell for it, right? Is our Chen a good kisser?” Then he sighed, “This is going to be a big blast to prove we were right—Chen made you fall for him.”

“A student and a teacher—nice game, Chen.” One of the guys patted his shoulder and then left the scene. The others followed.

“You set me up.” Chen mumbled while looking at his friend. Then he faced Seohyun who looked hurt and angry at the same time. “Seohyun, please don’t believe them—“

“So this is your way of getting even…” Seohyun muttered. “Is this how you break hearts? Is this what you mean by crushing my heart too?” There were tears in her eyes.

“It’s a misunderstanding—I—I didn’t know they were going to do this. I swear to God, I don’t!” Chen frustratingly defended and told the truth.

Slowly, Chen’s friends completely disappeared from the scene—afraid that the teachers might know they were still up. “I meant everything I told you. I meant everything—including the—“

“Don’t talk about it—don’t you dare ever mention it happened.” Seohyun hushed him. “I can’t believe you became this person.” She sobbed, but quickly wiped away her tears. “Now you win, you broke my heart too. That fine now with you?!”

“Seohyun, please.” Chen held her arm to stop her from walking away. “I told you, it was a set up. They set us up!” Seohyun just ignored him. “How can I prove to you I’m innocent this time? Tell me! I’d do anything! Please, Seohyun… Please.” He held her tightly, not wanting to let the night pass without her believing him.

“Graduate on time. Without me, you have to do well in college. Then I’ll believe, you didn’t do this on purpose.” Seohyun removed his grip on her arm, and walked away.

She cried that night to herself. She couldn’t stop crying that Suho woke up because of this. He knocked on the door to check on her, but she just ignored it. He wanted to call her, but then as he checked his phone, different shots of the video of her kissing Chen was already leaked.

It did not take long before Seohyun was fired by the school. However, it wasn’t totally like that, she was willing to resign too. She left the school and decided to just stay at home by herself. It was much more convenient to deal with her health than to deal with the whole school talking about her.


 

Chen was about to go home when he bumped into Suho. He apologized politely, and Suho just bowed too. “Wait a second,” Suho called him back so Chen stopped walking and faced him. “Congratulations.”

Chen smiled a little, “Thank you, seonsaengnim.” He bowed once more. He’s going to graduate. That’s one thing everyone’s sure of. He worked hard and changed his ways. Even without Seohyun’s presence at school, to prove his love to her, he managed to get all his subjects passed.

“Have you heard anything about former Professor Seo?” Suho asked. Chen’s smile faded. “If it will help you a little, I believe you did not set her up that night. I’ll help you process the investigation in this case, and the school will give detention to the students responsible for this incident.”

Chen’s eye lit up with hope. “But… Sir, you don’t have to do that.”

“Joohyun is my friend. And I know you mean a lot to her.” Suho paused. “I know it, Jongdae. And it’s okay. I understand.”

“T-thank you, seonsaengnim. Really, thank you.”

“But there’s something you really need to know.” Chen’s smile faded once again and he listened attentively to his teacher. “I’m not sure if I’m in the right place to say this, but did you happen to know that she had a heart surgery a few years back?” With Chen’s reaction, Suho knew he didn’t. “According to her bio, she left after high school graduation and went to America. There, she had a heart operation, and in a couple of years, she had treatments and therapies. The school knows about this because we had to keep an eye on her health, and watch over her. She told me she could have stayed in America for full recovery, but she had to see someone.”

“You mean…”

“That someone is you, Jongdae.”


 

Graduation day came. The venue was crowded with students and parents. It was an event to remember for every person present. As Chen took the diploma on stage, he saw someone stood out from the crowd—that beautiful lady, Seohyun. She was looking at him, she was smiling, she was happy. And for once, he finally proved himself to her. He may have been delayed for two or three years in college, but maybe that’s for a purpose—to have Seohyun see him on this stage. As he bowed, as he looked again in that direction, he saw Seohyun walking towards the exit.  He then faked a smile to the crowd, and went down from the stage. There, then, he saw Suho leaving the venue too.

He couldn’t wait for the closing remarks to be over, he was worried. Suho’s words about Seohyun’s heart operation kept circling in his mind. So he finally made up his mind, he’s already a graduate anyways. He stood up, removed his graduation clothing, rolled up his sleeves and ran towards his car.

Luckily, he was able to spot Suho’s car—and his instinct was right. Seohyun was sitting on the passenger seat, and Suho was driving fast. The direction was towards the nearest hospital. But then Suho was intelligent enough to notice a car was following him—and Chen was inside.

Abruptly, he stopped driving. “S-Suho-shi, what are you doing?” Seohyun held on her chest. Seeing and witnessing Chen graduate was too much for her to take. She could almost shed tears in that venue—but the chest pain was already killing her that she had to leave. Luckily, Suho, who forcibly brought her to Chen’s graduation, was cautious enough to see her leave that venue.

Suho just looked at her as he opened the door of his car and went down. Chen’s car also stopped behind his. He walked towards Chen who got down from his car. “Take care of her.” Suho said as he opened Chen’s car, and drove it. Chen walked towards Suho’s car, and as he got inside, he saw Seohyun.

“Suho-shi, we need—“ Seohyun stopped as she saw Chen get inside the car instead of Suho. Chen did not say anything along the way. He just focused on driving. However, his right hand was holding Seohyun’s left hand. Until they reached the hospital, he did not let go of her hand.

 

Seohyun sat on the hospital bed, and her head rested on Chen’s shoulder as he sat beside her. He held her hand tightly, and Seohyun just stared at their entwined hands. “So is it okay now for me to leave?” Seohyun asked.

“You can leave, you can do what you want. I don’t mind.” Chen answered. “But I’ll be with you.” Seohyun looked up at Chen and smiled a little.

“That’s right, I don’t mind being with you too.” She said even if Chen’s eyes were still full of anxiety. She squeezed his hands, “Don’t worry now, okay?”

Chen looked at her, and kissed her forehead. “I love you, so I don’t mind.”

Seohyun closed his eyes and was touched by what he said. She leaned again on his shoulder and said, “When you love a person, I guess you use your heart. That’s why I don’t mind too.” She sighed, “I love you, Chen.”

Chen put an arm around Seohyun’s narrow shoulders and kissed the top of her head, “The doctor says you need to sleep. Sleep now, okay?” Seohyun just nodded and drifted off to sleep.