Payphone III - Final

ONESHOT Compilations

 

[A/N: You guys have to listen to this song: Remembering Sunday by Stephan while reading this last part of Payphone :) This is a good original song, I think it was inspired by a fanfic too :)]

Kris’ POV

 

There comes a point in your life when you’ll finally feel being in love and so loved in return. But I have come to that point in my life that I love her so much, that it felt so wrong to be with her. Especially if I cause every single pain in her life. She deserves to be happy. But not with me by her side.

Two months ago, we were happy. Really happy. I mean being friend with her, and eventually falling for her, as she did too, it was so perfect. But it hurts to see that sometimes, I see other guys who deserve her better. Who would probably look better standing beside her, holding her hands... than me.

We all know Seohyun—she’s that hard working girl and just basically good at everything she does. I know her better than those strangers who’d pass by her every morning on her way to school. I cherished every single thing about her, about us. But suddenly, everything stopped making sense. Because she’s hurting. Without her deserving all of these s.

While I dribble the ball as I stood on the freethrow line, with the crowd cheering for me as my team was behind by a point, she’s clouding my head.

When we were friends, I only got to force her watch my game only once. But when we were together, she never missed a single game. A single second. I bet she wouldn’t even blink when I was on the court, playing every game of my life. Every cramp I get after the games, she’d be the one to stay with me until midnight and massage my legs. She’d be praising every move and shot I made during the game, that even if my team lost, she’d make me feel like we actually won. She was everything that made me happy, that obviously completed me.

Every morning, I wouldn’t feel lazy at all getting up. Even if I have late morning classes than hers, I’d wake up early just to fetch her from her dorm and be the first person she’d see every single morning of her life. When we got together, I just wanted to be that man for her. Be her everything, as she was to me. The morning kisses, her soft lips on mine, even just a millisecond peck, would always make my day. I wasn’t sure if she was aware of it, but her kisses wouldn’t make me want more. Because she’s Seohyun, and she’s always innocent. Just like how I wanted her to be. A peck was enough. My fingers perfectly intertwined with hers, as if I was holding my dear life, would make me never wanting to let go.

I miss everything. I certainly do. And the fact that she wasn’t here, watching my team play for the final championship game, was making me feel like my world never got emptier like this before. I dribbled the ball once more, it was like the eight seconds was so long.

 

“You know, when you stand there, shooting free throws, I could see why God created me. Even after all the heartbreaks.”

Seohyun once told me, when she came with me as I did extra practices on the court to do some shots. It rang in my head while I stood at the familiar free throw line. That day kept playing. The scene where I was with her. Where she was with me, watching me try my best to be that basketball star that I wanted.

“You sure about that?” I would casually reply a joke on her serious remarks to keep a light atmosphere. I think it’s just better to see her smile, because it’d be odd seeing her so serious. But it fluttered my heart hearing her words.

“When you’re there, you’re just... perfect. Like I don’t care if the shot would go in or not. The thing is, I see the man God created for me. And I don’t care about the game. I care about that man making the shot.” She said, twiddling her sharpie on her fingers. Even if I was the guy, she made it possible for my cheeks to burn in happiness.

 

I made the first shot, avoiding all the distractions Seohyun was giving me in my head.

“Hey, man! Get your arms off her!” I rushed down the stairs when I saw this man named Tao harassing Seohyun. That badass. That dickhead. That... stupid—who gave him the authority to even breathe the same air as her?

I protectively wrapped my arms around her shoulder and pulled her to me, sending death glares and death wishes to Tao. “Wait, I think you’re misunderstanding the whole situation.” He raised his hands innocently.

I let Seohyun sob on my shirt, as she buried her head on my chest while she silently cried.

“I cannot let you make her cry. What did you do?!” I exclaimed, really going nuts that some guy just made the fragile Seohyun cry—the one that I tried to always protect and to make smile.

“I just saved—“

“Saved her? By making her cry. Genius.” I was still glaring at him. I could feel my body tensed—I wanted to punch the soul out of this man.

“I think you’re being stupid right now, man.” I almost punched him, right at that moment. But Seohyun was still on my arms. “You have to listen—you fans are throwing insults and hates on her. I just helped her get out of the situation.”

Being a famous college basketball player... wasn’t all the way good at all. I saw this coming. I expected this to happen. But I did not remember all these possible things to happen when we got together.

           

“It’s a battle between two great forces. I couldn’t predict who’d win.” Sehun would tell me, when I told him what happened. I was in dire need of an advice, but I think it wasn’t a good idea to ask someone younger than you.

“Stop talking in a language I don’t understand.” I said.

“Okay, let’s get to the point. Basketball or Seohyun. Choose.” He said while he closed his locker and faced me. “And you cannot choose both because all of us have only one heart.” Then he laughed to himself, “Man, it sounded cheesy. Just choose.”

I sighed to myself. Am I ready to choose? Do I really have to? I love Seohyun. But if it’s hurting her too much, that left me no other choice.

“Whatever I choose, it’s just going to hurt.” I mumbled.

“Now you talk in haikus. Speak in my language, will you?” Sehun chuckled to himself. Man, I’m not really sure if he’s serious or not. But then he added, “You’re going to let go whichever you loved better, because you wouldn’t want that to hurt. Or let’s just say it’d be the girl.” Then he left.

I was all alone that time inside the locker room. As if waiting for some miracle to happen.

At some point, I thought Sehun was right. I didn’t know Seohyun was receiving hate tweets and messages on Facebook. She hid them all from me. Because on the brighter side, she loved me. And didn’t want it bother me. She was always strong. But I wanted to be there for her to make her stronger. Apparently, it was me causing her pain. And she was trying to be strong not for herself, but for me. And I just wanted to stop being a burden to her. I was supposed to make her happy. Not worsen her life.

Knowing what she had been through because of Suho, I felt guilty. She deserved better. So much better. Apparently, it’s not me.

 

The missed the first shot. I still had one free throw shot to save my team and claim victory for the first time in ten years, in the history of our university. The boo’s and shouts and cheers, maybe, was deafening me. It was the same during one of the games we had before. When time-out was called before the last few seconds, and I had to excuse myself to go to the backcourt because I was really nervous. And that’s when Seohyun came after me. Hugging the sweaty me and whispering to my ear, “You can make that shot, because I believe in you more than anyone ever will.” As she kissed my forehead and went back to the seats on the crowd.

Right now, standing here once again, with the same crucial situation, her words rang in my head. The only difference was that she wasn’t here. And it made a big difference.

I dribbled the ball for the second and last free throw shot. I glanced to the team’s bench... and there was the familiar face I’ve longed to see in the crowd since we broke up. She was there, watching me make the shot of my life. And suddenly the hope went up. As I took the shot.

And won the championship crown.

 

Maybe basketball was the choice that would really make me happy. But something felt missing. The moment I looked at her place on the crowd, she slightly smiled at me. But faced sidewards and busied herself talking to someone.

To Suho.

It was enough to break my heart and realize something—even if basketball was my greatest dream and was my choice, it was only Seohyun who could shatter my heart into pieces that I think wouldn’t fit back together again.

She looked happy, happier than before. And it hurts that it’s not because of me. I should be celebrating because of this championship we claimed ours. And I made the last shot. But I guess what I needed to be happy for real was only her, just Seohyun.

 

I spent the next whole week sulking in my condo unit that never seemed emptier when we broke up. We used to hang out here always. Watch movies together, play video games that she never really learned, or study together—even if we had different courses. But now without her presence for more than two months, this unit seemed like a bed space. The only thing that mattered that the bed for me to lay myself on, and stare at the blank ceiling that never really seemed so wide before I stare at it for eight straight hours. Only thinking about the memories I shared with Seohyun.

And how eight hours wasn’t enough.

And for the first time in my whole life, I cried. Not because my parents scolded me or hit my with a stick like they used to when I was a child. I was in tears because I think it’s too late to bring back everything between Seohyun and me. How could I possibly move on when all I wanted was to get back together with her?

Tonight was the victory party of the university.

I was there, just for the sake of being there because I was an athlete.

The athlete in me that caused Seohyun all the pains.

           

I saw her at the victory party, talking to Luhan—the dancer who liked her so much—from a distance. For once, in my whole life, I felt insecure. One, they look good together. Two, they were talking—something I haven’t done in more than two months.

I bumped into her, and I didn’t know what to say. But I stood there, admiring the perfection every feature on her face still possesses. I missed caressing her cheeks, pinching his nose and brushing her hair off her face. But she smiled at me, like nothing ever happened.

“Hey, glad you made the shot!” She greeted me. I could see her happy. But why did it feel so wrong?

“Yeah, I had to.” I answered.

It was awkward.

“Seohyun?” I started off. I just had to talk to her. “Can we talk? Privately?” I asked. The smile plastered on her face disappeared as we walked off somewhere less crowded.

“So...” She said, now avoiding my gaze. We sat on the stairs of the LS Building, as everyone partied in Ampitheater and Marian Quad.

“I just wanted to...” Thinking of the right words hurts. “Make sure you’re fine, that you’re happy now.”

“Funny to hear that from the person who broke my heart.” This was her. The real her behind those smiles. There was a few seconds of silence. “It wasn’t exactly the break up that hurts me, Kris.” She looked at me, the features of her face still visible in the dim party lights. “It was when I tried keeping up with all the pains because I didn’t want to let go, it was when I tried to be strong for you, for us. But in the end, it was you who let go.”

I couldn’t say anything, as if a huge lump in my throat would also stop my breathing.

“I—I had to do that...” I said after a few minutes of empty atmosphere. “You were supposed to be happy with me, not get all the hates and threats. I didn’t want you to go through all of those alone. You didn’t deserve those. And me.”

She wiped a tear that escaped her eyes. “I understood why you had to do it, Kris. I do. I really do.” She sobbed, looking at me with her teary eyes pierced my heart and pounded every vein in my system. “I just wish you didn’t have to. I just wish you didn’t. Because I think it’d be better to deal with the pain while I was still with you, than to deal with it alone.” She said, standing up and leaving me there alone.

And she wasn’t able to see the tears that escaped from my eyes too.

For once, she was mine. And I want her with me again. But it couldn’t happen anymore.

 

 

“Hello?” Her voice sounded so sweet on the other line. “Hello?” She repeated. “Who’s this?” She kept on asking before she cut the call.

I stood there at the payphone, the only possible way for me to hear her sweet voice all over again.

          

[A/N: I'm sorry I updated this just now. I've never been this busy at school. :( Screw college. Anyway, I hope you liked it. And listened to the song. It really brings out all the emotions! TT~TT]