Gone Not Around Any Longer

ONESHOT Compilations

[A/N: it took four days for me to finish this one. I hope you appreciate this story. Kkk~]


 

Wealth is something that destroys relationship. Some people swore not to love someone who possesses such thing, some people swore to be different. But when it comes to love, wealth doesn’t matter. It does not matter where the person comes from. It doesn’t matter even if she’s the wealthiest person on earth.

 

Girls were watching the varsity players practice for an upcoming tournament. All the courts were filled with students and athletes. In the soccer field, the girls filled the benches, cheering for their friends that were playing. Seohyun sat alone on a bench by herself—her friends were busy studying at the library. She’s part of the ‘nerd’ ones, but people don’t look down at her. They’d be saying, ‘She’s too beautiful to be bullied.’

She’s intelligent and smart and she loves reading, but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s a nerd. However, in a crowded place, no one dared to sit beside her. Some would even prefer standing.

It was a bright sunny day, and she was holding a novel book with her hands, and just glancing at the athletes that were playing. She was busy reading amidst the noisy crowd, when she saw a droplet of water on a page of her book. A second later, another one dropped. She closed her book, sighed, and looked up. Rain is about to pour.

Before she could even stand up to leave, the rain had already gone down. All the students started running to get a roof for themselves, the field was slowly being emptied as athletes ran on their own too. The busy campus suddenly became as gloomy as the weather. But there she was, standing calmly on her own, with her umbrella. She stood there, not even walking away as all the other students have given up waiting for the sun to show itself once again. Practices were officially done, and students went back to their classrooms.

Slowly, she made her way towards the center of the field, where an athlete laid helpless. Everyone was too busy running for their own lives earlier that they did not notice someone slipped while running and he landed flat and badly.

The boy was holding his ankle and he was already soaked in the rain. Then he noticed the rain stopped pouring on him, but it was still raining. He looked up, and saw someone holding an umbrella over him. She offered her hand for him to stand up, and slowly, he took her hand and started to balance himself.

“I think I sprained my ankle.” He muttered as he got up. He put an arm over the girl’s slender shoulders, as she helped him walked towards the clinic. The girl did not say anything until they reached the clinic. “Thank you.” He softly said as his ankle was still in pain when the school nurse was treating his injury.

The girl looked at him, her round eyes were beautiful. “You’re welcome.” Then she finally smiled.

He smiled back, temporarily forgetting about his sprained ankle. “I’m sorry to ask, but do I know you? Or have we met before? Inside, or outside the campus?” The boy asked.

The girl thought deeper, looking at the boy’s eyes… she thought she met him before too. But that moment, she couldn’t quite figure it out yet, and the safest answer was, “No, I don’t think so.”

“Oh,” The boy nodded slightly. “I see. But you look oddly familiar.” Then he shrugged the thought off, and smiled back. “By the way, I’m Luhan.” He extended his hand for a handshake.

“I’m Seo Joohyun.” She accepted his hand.

That wasn’t just the start of friendship, it was the start of the love their shared, and the love they lost.

 

Seohyun sipped her glass of red wine while looking at the city lights from her office’s window. She reminisced alone while the lights inside the building were mostly turned off. It’s past her office time, but she did not bother spending more them there—even alone by herself.

Being the heiress of the Seo Enterprise, her life was almost perfect. But whatever happened between Luhan and her was the only thing that ruined her life. Now, she’s giving everything to keep her father’s company going. But inside, she’s died years ago.

“The man already gave you up, there’s no point in giving up the company too.” His father pleaded after Luhan left her years ago. She was so helpless before. She stayed inside her room, skipped meals, and curled up like a ball on her bed. Her father cried when he saw her like that, and he begged for her to come to her senses.

She sipped once more, until the last drop of what’s in her glass. The wine has a bitter taste, but it’s the only thing that keeps her company nowadays. She’s been lonely for so long. She tried to move on, but it seems that there is only one person who kept her heart chained.

She put her glass down on her table, and browsed through the pictures on top of it. There she saw a portrait of herself, together with the man she loved for years. And possibly, until now. They still looked so young back then, but the memories are still clear inside her head.

Seohyun was at the library returning the books she borrowed for reviewing. Upon doing so, she decided to look for some good books to read before her driver arrives to pick her up from school. As she passed by a shelf, she finally saw a nice book. But then clumsy as she always was, the book fell from her grip. She bent down to pick it up, but someone already did. The person smiled at her.

“No wonder I don’t see you at the campus.” Luhan shyly returned the book to Seohyun. Then he looked away and pretended to be looking at the other books, “Maybe I should try to hang out here sometimes.”

Seohyun chuckled a little, “An athlete should stay at the gym, not here. This is the losers’ lair.” Then she walked to find a table. The latter just followed her and sat across her. “What, are you just going to sit there and watch me read?” She innocently asked after reading two pages.

“If I read something, how can I watch you?” Then he realized what he just said. “I mean—I can’t just watch my team mates practice while I sit on the bench, injured.”

Seohyun smiled and nodded, “Is that so? What did the doctor tell you?”

“They said I should get some rest first. The injury did not really get that well yet, so I better rest before I start playing again.” Luhan shared.

Then the librarian had to keep everyone in the library quiet. Luhan shot Seohyun a look. “I think everyone’s talking about you…”

“Me? Ah, because I’m with you—someone so pretty and attractive—“

“No,” Seohyun shook her head. “Because you’re Luhan.” Seohyun plainly answered. Everyone knows who Luhan is—the best soccer athlete in the school. He was one of the coolest guys in the campus, and everyone knows him. He hangs out a lot with his friends. Although he doesn’t go out with girls, he’s still popular among them. Aside from that, Seohyun heard a lot from people that Luhan’s from a rich family. She didn’t mind that at first because she’s from a rich family too. Only few people know that because his father wanted to protect his daughter’s identity from fraud and possible death threats.  “Even without me, people talk a lot about you.” She meant it as a good thing, so she just smiled at Luhan and continued reading.

The boy just studied her features while she was reading across him. The way she flipped the pages, the way her eyes moved from word to word, the way she inhales and sighs—probably when something disappointed her from what she was reading, her perfect nose, lips—basically, he admitted to himself that he was attracted to her.

And he never felt this way before.

One thing’s for sure, everyone knows Luhan, and everyone knows he never dated anyone.

Before he could ask her for her number, or for a lunch date on the next days, she immediately stood up holding her phone while reading a text message. “I have to go now, bye.” She bowed slightly and returned the book from where she got it, and left the library.

 

Her home wasn’t just home—it was a mansion that stood on a spacious lot. It was equipped with everything advanced, and guarded by men in black suits. Maids were everywhere inside, and house helpers like gardeners, plumbers and even dog walkers were also present. It was a busy house—lots of helpers maintain the cleanliness of the huge house. For Seohyun, it was empty. Her mother died when she was young, when she could even barely walk. All she knew about her was that she was seriously sick and died when she was just two years old. Her father’s a CEO—of many multibillionaire companies. Seo Enterprise is a part of every well-marketed business in the country. It has a lot of shares in different establishments. Her father was a genius when it comes to business. And as she grew up, all she knew was that she’s going to inherit all of them—she’s the sole heiress of her their family.

She got down from the car after being driven by young lad, Chanyeol. He was a bit older than her—he was a son of an old and loyal butler of her father. She can even remember playing with him when they were still young. Even if he was older than her, their relationship was equal—but as they grew older, both of them realized they cannot use informal words around each other. He was her driver, and so Chanyeol pays respect to her nowadays.

Coming from this kind of family, Seohyun trusted no one but Chanyeol. That’s why at school, she wasn’t even that close to her group of friends. Her father taught her to trust no one, because as a Seo, everyone’s a threat to her life, and to their business.

But then Luhan came to her life, and she discovered that she could trust other people too.

 

Seohyun was reading a book again, but this time, she was reading alone on a bench along the pathwalk of their school. She looked so peaceful and contented by just reading. Someone suddenly sat beside her, it was Luhan again.

“What are you doing here?” She innocently asked as she closed the book.

“It’s lunch, you shouldn’t skip meals.” Luhan gave her a sandwich, and had a bite on his own one. She accepted it and smiled back.

“Thank you, but I already ate.” Seohyun said.

“Hm?” Luhan was slightly surprised. “But I thought I didn’t see you at the canteen.”

Seohyun just smiled, “But I didn’t say I cannot eat more. This looks good!” She took a bite on the sandwich. She just pretended she can still eat despite the fact that she’s already full. During lunch, she couldn’t buy food at school—her father said that there may be food poison, again, reminding her that in this world, she cannot trust anyone, even the people at the cafeteria who cook food for the students at school. At lunch, she meets up with Chanyeol who delivers her lunchbox. She eats inside the car, as fast as she could, and Chanyeol makes sure she finishes them. Then she goes back to the school grounds.

It was her first time to trust someone—that the food he gave her was safe to eat and not poisoned. And it felt good.

“So tell me, do you really like reading a lot? That you prefer being alone most of the time?” Luhan asked.

She just nodded. When she was younger, the only time she could play was whenever her cousins come visit their place, but it was very rare—during holiday seasons only. Even at a young age, her father will buy her books to read. Starting from children’s stories, and as she grew up, to fiction books. And now, she gets to choose whatever book she wants to read.

“You should go out with your friends sometimes. There’s more to life than reading books.” Luhan smiled at her. That moment, looking through his eyes, Seohyun realized, she’s not living a lonely life anymore.

 

She sat down on her chair, eyes not leaving the photo. It was a picture of them, happily together. But then slowly, her eyes moistened just by looking at it. They were happy before. But now, everything’s gone. She put down the picture and refilled her glass of wine. She sipped a bit, and then saw a book inside one of her drawers. She smiled at the thought of it.

“What’s this?” She asked Luhan as they walked together. He scratched the back of his head and smiled shyly.

“You like reading, so when I was at a bookstore, I thought of you and decided to buy something for you.”

“Ah really?” She smiled and read the description of the book at the back. “Thank you, Luhan-shi.”

“Aniyo, drop the formalities. Besides, I want you to remember me when you read that book, okay?” Luhan told her. Days passed by, and she received a book every single day from him. whenever they don’t meet because of conflicting schedules, or whenever Chanyeol’s already suspecting something, and Seohyun was so afraid her father might found out, or whenever Luhan has a practice, he’d leave it in her locker.

One afternoon, Luhan just got off his practice and started running after Seohyun as soon as he saw her. He pants, “Wait up,” he tried to catch his breath before continuing. “Can you come with me for a second?” Seohyun could just nod.

As they were walking towards somewhere, still inside the school that was slowly being emptied because it was already dismissal, the back of their hands were awkwardly brushing against each other. Seohyun tried to ignore it. But it seems that he was walking closely next to her, that it kept on happening. To avoid the further skinship, Seohyun just clasped her hands together like a demure lady. But she almost stopped walking when Luhan took her left hand and said, “We’re almost there.” They walked up the stairs, and up they go, while holding hands.

Soon, they reached the rooftop of one of the school’s buildings. It was Seohyun’s first time there—it overlooked the entire school. She could see the tiny students walking along the campus. “Luhan, why did you bring me here?” She curiously asked.

“Come here.” He said as he was standing at the other end of the rooftop. “I want you to see this.” He said, just looking ahead. Seohyun, who was finally standing beside him, followed his gaze. And there she saw, the beautiful sun setting.

“It’s beautiful…” She mumbled.

Luhan looked at her, “I want you to see this,” and Seohyun finally looked at him who was gazing at her. “Because this is how I see you, Seohyun.”

Seohyun couldn’t say anything.

Luhan suddenly felt shy upon confessing. “Oh, by the way, here.” He handed her a book. “Today’s gift.” She could just smile. He looked away and looked at the sun once again, admiring it.

“You know, you don’t have to give me a book every day…” Seohyun said.

“I told you before, I want you to remember me whenever you read a book… Seohyun,” He looked at her, “I want you to always remember me. Every day.”

She smiled, “I understand. But cutting off a part of your everyday allowance isn’t—“

He held her hand, “Seohyun,” and he stepped closer to her, “I’m Luhan. A penny won’t matter to me if it’s for the girl I like.” He curled a strand of hair behind her ear and just gave her hand a squeeze. “I came from a rich family—but my father’s a monster. He always abused my mother, because he’s a powerful man. I can see my mom suffering under his grip, she wasn’t free.” Luhan continued telling Seohyun about his family.

Luhan has a younger brother. But he was the heir to his father’s company. Like her, he came from a rich family. But unlike her father who was only strict to the issues of trust, Luhan’s father was obsessed with wealth. He thinks its wealth that made his father this bad.

“I couldn’t hate him because he’s my father. Besides, I’m living like this, being able to go to a private school, have myself trained by professional soccer trainers, have access to lots of things, and buy you a book every day.” Luhan smiled a little, “but because of that, I only promised one thing.”

“What is it?” Seohyun asked.

“Not to love someone rich, I just want to love someone simple, someone who isn’t a dog of wealth. I want someone regular, someone ordinary… someone like you.” Luhan looked at her, “When I first saw you, when you helped me, I saw that girl that I was looking for. Not even everyone in the school knows you.”

Seohyun couldn’t smile. But she faked one. She’s definitely not that girl… Luhan doesn’t know anything about her, if that’s the case.

Her phone started ringing, and she had to leave. She could only give thanks to Luhan and ran to go home.

 

But despite the fact that Luhan didn’t want a rich girl, Seohyun took the risk. She kept her real identity and family background a secret. And for once, she was happy. But every single day with Luhan, she had the fear of losing him but she braved to get through each day.

In a spring, Seohyun sat on a bench at a nearby park, after lying to her father that she’s going to study groups. She was reading a book from Luhan, and there the lad rested his head on her lap reading his own book.

“Hyung!” Someone called out and he came running towards them. Luhan quickly sat up, and both of them looked at the thin and tall lad.

“Do you know him?” Seohyun asked as he thought he looked strangely familiar too.

“Ah, he’s my younger brother. My dongsaeng.” Luhans said as he patted his brother’s back. “Sehun-ah, meet my girl friend, Seohyun-shi.” The boy smiled at her.

“Wait a second, why do you look familiar?” Sehun asked while thinking if he met her before.

“That’s what I thought too when I first met her.” Luhan ruffled Sehun’s hair.

Seohyun thought deeply this time. The same remarks of the siblings were definitely not coincidental. There must be some truth to it—because she felt the same. She’s known or seen them before. She just couldn’t figure it out yet.

 

Seohyun closed the drawer and sipped her wine again. As much as she wanted to just forget “her. She can’t waste time reminiscing. She opened a few documents and folders on her table and put down the glass of wine on the side. She took her pen, and decided to read on project proposals and contracts. She can just work tonight, rather than think of the past she should not remember about.

But then as soon as she opened the first file, the name that caught her attention was the company name: Xi Corporations. It was the company bought by Luhan’s father under Seo Enterprise.

“Ms. Seo, how long are you going to keep everything a secret?” Chanyeol politely asked her as she was preparing for a date with Luhan for their fourth year anniversary together. She was dressed formally, and she looked stunning. She was putting on her earrings as Chanyeol, who wore black suit as always, stood a few feet away behind her.

“I really don’t know too.” Seohyun sighed. She turned around and faced Chanyeol. “The only thing I know is that I want this relationship to last.”

Chanyeol nodded, “If boss is happy because of him, I am willing to keep this secret further.” He pressed his lips together. “But your father can do a lot of things, one day may come and he’ll find out about this…”

“What are you saying?”

Chanyeol looked down, then looked again at the lady who looked really gorgeous that night. his heart fluttered for a moment, but if there’s a secret he had to keep other than this, it was always his feelings towards the young lady. “President Seo is a good father, Ms. Seo. Mr Lu seems like a nice lad too, his family background isn’t questionable and I believe your father’s willing to accept whoever you choose.”

Seohyun smiled, “I wasn’t worried about father, Chanyeol-shi.” Then that smile slowly faded as she continued, “I’m afraid it’s Luhan who cannot accept me and my father.”

“Neh?”

“He came from a rich and wealthy family, but he cursed it his whole life because of it. He doesn’t want to be involved with anyone as rich as him, worse—richer than him. But because Dad always kept my identity, my real background, he thought I was different from him…” Seohyun looked down, “But if he loves me, soon, he can accept it,” Then she looked up at Chanyeol with eyes moistened, “Right?”

Chanyeol could only nod in agreement. He knew that Luhan, if he loved Seohyun so much, he can accept her for what she is. But a guy, like Luhan, cannot accept a lie.

He drove Seohyun to a restaurant. But before she got down, “Ms. Seo,” he held her arm to stop her for a moment. She just looked at him. “I think you should tell Luhan-shi everything. And you’re right—he’ll accept you for what you are if he loves you, and I swear I can see it in his eyes when he’s with you that you mean a lot to him, but a lie like this, I’m not sure if a person can accept it.”

Seohyun could only look at him.

“What I’m saying is… be strong, Ms. Seo. Whatever happens, I’m here.” Chanyeol said looking at her eyes.

Seohyun just laughed a little to lighten up the mood, Chanyeol’s grip on her arm loosened. “Don’t worry, Chanyeol-shi.”

“Arraseoyo.” Chanyeol half-heartedly said. “Just call me if I have to pick you up—“

“Don’t wait for my call tonight.” Seohyun said. “If Luhan insists again to drive me home, I think I’m going to agree to it.” She said and flashed Chanyeol her one last smile—the last smile that he saw from that day on her.

Chanyeol was already at the mansion and just as what the lass told her, he didn’t wait for any call that night. He should be happy, but a part of him worries about Seohyun. And a part of him breaks a little realizing Seohyun, who trusted no one before but him, has already learned to trust someone else.

But before he could open the door of the mansion, his phone rang. It was an unexpected call.

 

He saw her sitting on a bench at a park, alone in the dark. Only the light from the distant tall light posts shone over the dark road. He slowly walked towards her. She was just stared.  She wasn’t crying, her eyes showed no evidence of tears at all. But she wasn’t happy either.

Chanyeol removed his coat and put it over Seohyun’s shoulder. She looked up at him, and that’s when she started shedding tears. Chanyeol sat beside him, and let her cry on his shoulders. That was the night when Luhan broke up with her.

“I couldn’t tell him—“ Seohyun sobbed. “So he told me who I was instead.” Chanyeol could only lend her his ears. This wasn’t what he was expecting from that man. He could have given up his feelings for Seohyun for her to be happy, but seeing her like this. He cannot take it.

That’s why to Luhan and Sehun, Seohyun looked familiar. It was because she was the only daughter of Mr. Seo—the owner of Seo Enterprise. She was present when their father signed contract with the company, officially taking over the Xi Corporations. Luhan and Sehun were just strangers to everyone, but they finally figured it out that Seohyun was the young lady during that event. She was the daughter of the person who kept Luhan’s father crazy over wealth.

From that day on, Seohyun transferred college. It took months before her father could persuade her to continue attending school. She always locked herself in her room. If there’s anyone she allowed to enter, it was only Chanyeol. The only person whom she has given her trust, and never broke it. Unlike Luhan.

 

Her phone rang, which brought her back to reality. She put down her pen and closed the file. She took her phone and saw the name of the person calling her. She just stared at it: Park Chanyeol.

 

“Are you sure you want to do this, Ms. Seo?” Chanyeol asked her before starting the engine of the car to drive her.

“In my life I trusted no one. I know my father’s will do well. But I just have to ask one question to Luhan so I can finally let him go.” Seohyun said, not looking at Chanyeol. Her eyes only focused on the road, “I just need a clear closure.”

“Okay, I understand.” Chanyeol said as he finally started the engine of the car. “I hope you get the answer you want, and we may still have time to go back to your father’s event.” Chanyeol drove fast yet swiftly.

Chanyeol drove as fast as he could to the airport. Seohyun wanted to ask something to Luhan before he leaves for US.  News says he’s going to study abroad so he can finally take over his father’s company. But Seohuyn couldn’t let him leave everything just like that. It’s been months. But the closure they had wasn’t reasonable enough for her to let him go.

She ran inside the airport, just by showing her ID, all the guards already let her pass through. Chanyeol ran after her, but eventually lost her inside the crowded place.

Seohyun finally saw the back figure of Luhan, walking along with body guards. The thing about him is that he hated the kind of life he had, but he’s the one living to it. Seohyun never lived like that, Seohyun only had one personal assistant and that was Chanyeol. Seohyun lived a simple life despite the fact that she’s coming from a wealthy family. Seohyun can let go of everything she has—even ditching the event his father was holding for their company. But it seems that Luhan cannot let go of what he has—the only thing he could do for hating his life was to live with it, and not be with someone like him. But Seohyun was definitely different. But he was blinded by the lie she made up just to keep their relationship.

“Luhan-shi!!!” She called him. He stopped walking, but he recognized that voice. She walked slowly towards him, the guards blocked her path. But Luhan told them it’s okay. “Luhan-shi…” She looked at his eyes that were full of pain upon seeing her.

“What are you doing here?” He plainly asked—his face did not show any expression.

“I just want to ask you something before you go.” Seohyun said. That’s when she noticed Sehun was with Luhan. The younger lad thought Seohyun looked pitiful.

“Seohyun-shi, there’s nothing you can say to make me stay—“

“I am not asking for you to stay.” Seohyun cut him off, which almost made his heart break a little more. But he’s too manly to admit that to himself. “If you have to leave, then do so but I just want to know, if you ever did love me.” The noise in the background slowly faded as Luhan just stared blankly at Seohyun. His non-expression face changed into something. But no one could tell what it was. But it definitely wasn’t an angry face, no more of it.

As Luhan looked at Seohyun, their memories together appeared at the back of his head. He realized he was indeed, admit it or not, happy with her. He never felt that way with anyone before. From high school to college, the days when each teenager had the best of their lives, he was with Seohyun. A classic love story, they shared. But part of him tells him, and clouds his mind, that Seohyun lied to him. He could have accepted what she was, but not the lie she did.

“Tell me, honestly.” Seohyun pleaded. Sehun put a hand over Luhan’s shoulder. “Please, tell me the truth—so I can finally let you go. You can’t just leave like this, leaving me with a question like this…”

Luhan’s eyes moistened, he had to speak now or else, he’d be breaking down in front of her. “I almost did.” Seohyun wasn’t the only one taken aback by Luhan’s answer, even Sehun was. His hand dropped to his side, he had to look away from the two ex-couple. He knew what was going on, and he hated to witness his brother make a mistake. “But I’m glad I did not.” Sehun finally lost it. He was so close to punching his brother but when he turned around, Seohyun looked at him. Her eyes showed how her heart was breaking. If he punched his brother to death, it wouldn’t help her at all.

Luhan looked down, realizing what he just did. If he told her he did love her, what’s the point? He’s going to leave anyway. He can’t let her hold on much longer. It was a passionate love that they shared for four years, it was a long time, and the memories were enough. Everything has its own end. “I have to leave now. I guess I have given you the right answer.” Luhan said before turning his back to leave.

“So that’s the best that you’ve got?” Seohyun finally spoke up. As soon as Luhan faced him again, she quickly wiped her tears. “I came all the way here to prove myself to you that I can leave everything behind because of the guilt I have in me for lying to you.”

Luhan looked away, slightly embarrassed by the small ruckus in the middle of the airport.

“I chose to chase you here, to ask you that question—to at least get an assurance that what we had was real. I can let you go if I get to know that you did love me back—despite the fact that I lied to you. Because in that case, I get to accept the fact that it’s my fault why I lost you.” Seohyun paused, and then continued. “But choosing to go here to ask you a sincere question was a mistake in the end.” Seohyun took a step back to leave, but Luhan spoke.

“Why? What are you leaving behind? Aren’t you one of those wealthy kids who can’t leave anything, even a penny, behind?”

Seohyun’s fist clenched, she turned around. “Are you talking about me?” Luhan did not answer. Seohyun could only try to keep her anger to herself. “Are you serious? Do you know what’s happening right now? Seo Enterprise is about to be handed to me by my father, around this very second, but I chose to run after you. My father’s probably there with a pen and contract in front of respected business people, waiting for me in vain—waiting for me who’s wasting her time asking the person she loves to just at least say a four goddamn words that he did love me.” Seohyun was almost shouting at him.

Chanyeol finally came to the scene, holding Seohyun back before she could even slap Luhan.

“Seohyun, your father called. He’s very angry, we need to go there now. It’s the entire Seo Enterprise’s sake laid before you.” Chanyeol tried to keep his voice low, but Luhan could hear it. Seohyun looked again at Luhan.

“Then we need to get there as fast as we can.” Then she looked at Chanyeol, “Get the chopper.” Looking at Luhan, she says, “I don’t need to leave everything behind now. I have to take over Seo Enterprise, and I’m going to live the life I almost left behind. There’s only one person who has to leave.”

Luhan nodded a little—he took this as a queue to leave.

“No—no,” Seohyun stopped him. “You don’t get to walk out on me like that—I should be that person. Besides, you’re only Luhan—your company’s just under mine.” Seohyun said, and slowly, she walked away from Luhan, passing by him.

Chanyeol called someone right away. And Luhan could only watch Seohyun flew away riding on a private chopper.

Luhan watched her leave, slipping away from his hands. Sehun stood beside him and said, “She could leave an entire multibillion business, and you can’t leave your own.” Luhan looked at him, “Hyung, I think you lost more than just a million. You lost the person you did not ‘almost love’, you lost the person you really loved.”

“I had to lie. She did it first.”

“Lying won’t get things even.” Sehun shook his head. “For once, hyung… you could have just told her the truth.” Sehun shook his head and walked away from Luhan who seemed too frozen on the ground.

Before she could pick up the call, Chanyeol already barged inside her office. Seohyun was startled. Chanyeol was worried that Seohyun might have done something while he wasn’t with her. Since Luhan left, Seohyun was never stable. All her decisions and actions are too unpredictable. But so far, Chanyeol had never seen an instance where Seohyun tried to harm herself. But he has seen the worst—a lonely Seohyun who cries to sleep. Every single night that he had to stay beside her, watch her until her eyes get tired of crying, until she eventually falls asleep. It’s been years that way. Nothing has ever changed. Although she comes to work and raises the quality of her family’s company, at the end of the day, something tells Chanyeol that Seohyun’s still miserably broken.

Seohyun was about to sip once more from her glass, but Chanyeol calmly stopped her. She did not argue. She’s too empty to fight back. She felt too weak for herself.

“Let’s take you home, Ms. Seo.” Chanyeol said. He assisted her to stand up. She wasn’t drunk. She’s physically fine, but she’s definitely not okay inside. As soon as she stood up, Chanyeol was about to pick up her bag from the other side of the table, but Seohyun held his wrist. He stopped her, and her grip got even tighter. Chanyeol slowly looked at her.

“A-are you okay? Ms. Seo?” Chanyeol asked, though he regretted asking the most stupid question at the moment. Seohyun suddenly cried, her tears were unstoppable. Chanyeol could only offer his shoulders and let her cry in his arms. Without asking for the reason, Chanyeol already knew. “The books already ran out. Every book he gave you already belongs to someone else.” Chanyeol patted her back.

Seohyun, for having been gifted with a book by Luhan every single day of their four-year relationship, decided to finally put them all on sale and all the money will be given to a charity of cancer patients. The only book left was the first one given to her, the one inside her drawer. She cried even harder. Not because those books were gone, but because slowly, she’s starting to realize that he’s really gone now. He’s just a memory of her. And he’s really not coming back anymore. To her.

“You don’t have to be very sad about it.” Chanyeol continued as Seohyun still cried in his arms, “You have to keep in mind that he’s not just a part of your life, he’s also become a part of every person’s live who bought those books.” Chanyeol loosened up, cupped her face and wiped her tears. “Always remember that, Ms. Seo.” She nodded a little and Chanyeol took her hand, grabbed her bag to carry it for her, and left the office.

Chanyeol brought her home, to their mansion—all better than it ever was. He accompanied her to her room, waited for her to finish taking a bath, and tucked her neatly. He watched her sleep. And when Seohyun looked peacefully asleep, he took this as a queue to leave. But just like what happened in her office, her hand stopped him. But this time, she gripped on his hand.

“I-is there anything you need, Ms. Seo?” He stuttered as the lass’ hand in his already made his heart flutter.

“Don’t go.” Seohyun said. She moved to the side of the bed, and patted the space beside her, “Stay with me.” She looked at Chanyeol’s eyes and her words were full of sincerity.

Chanyeol swallowed, his heart was beating fast and twice a second. As Chanyeol sat beside her, she made herself comfortable by moving closer to him. She rested her head near his body and slowly, she closed her eyes. Soon, she dozed off comfortably unlike the usual nights where Chanyeol had to watch over her for a couple of hours before she falls asleep. Chanyeol, despite the fact that she’s already fallen asleep, could just watch the sleeping figure of Seohyun beside him. Besides, she already fell asleep while holding his hand.

While Chanyeol was watching Seohyun as she sleeps, his phone rang. But he answered it right away so Seohyun wouldn’t wake up. It’s hard to get her to sleep, he didn’t want to wake her up.

“Chanyeol-shi…” A voice of a man came from the other line. He stood up and faced the door, turning his back from the sleeping Seohyun.

“Yoboseyo?” He asked.

“It’s Luhan…”

“What do you want?” Chanyeol asked with a firm voice. He still bore a little grudge against Luhan for leaving just like that, and saying unpleasant words to Seohyun. All his life, he respected and protected Seohyun and some guy like Luhan will just dump her.

“I know you’re mad at me, but I understand that’s because you care for Seohyun.” Luhan ignored his question. “To be honest, I’m happy she has someone beside like you beside her.”

“Luhan-shi, I—I cannot keep talking to you like this. Tell me what you really want to say. I’m not a guy with so much time—”

“Please continue taking care of Seohyun.” Luhan said which stopped Chanyeol from talking. “I bet you’re with her right now. Or watching her.” Chanyeol turned around and looked at the sleeping Seohyun. “But please, never leave her. Promise me, Park Chanyeol-shi. Always stay by her side. And even if she asks you to leave, don’t. Don’t make the same mistake I did—she would have asked me to stay, but I left. I know you know her very well, so please. Promise me, you’ll never leave her. And if there comes a time that she’d ask of you to stay, then stay forever.”

Chanyeol remembered this conversation he once had with Luhan over the phone. He looked again at Seohyun and adored every feature of her face, before he finally closed his eyes to give himself a rest too.

 

 

The sun shone brightly. Chanyeol woke up, adjusted his eyes to the rays of light entering the unfamiliar window—only to realize he’s not at home. He quickly averted his gaze to the person beside him, and her big round eyes were gazing at him. She smiled a little at him, “Good morning.” To think deeper, that was the first time he heard those two words from Seohyun.

 

Chanyeol stopped the car beside the street, “Are you sure you don’t want me to come?” Seohyun gave him an assuring small smile.

“I’ll be fine.” Seohyun said, and took Chanyeol’s right hand, and gave it a squeeze. “Just wait for me, okay?” Chanyeol nodded. She finally let go of his hand, opened the door of the car but abruptly stopped upon hearing Chanyeol call her name.

“Seohyun-ah!” Chanyeol said. For the first time, in who knows how many years have been, he called her by her nickname. Without formalities. She looked at him, “Just give me a call when—“

“When I need something.” Seohyun completed his statement. She knew him too well. “Arraseo.” She said, and finally got down from the car.

Chanyeol watched Seohyun’s back disappear in a corner as she walked by herself. He sat there in the car, starting to count the seconds, the minutes… that he’ll be waiting. He has always waited. And it seems that he’ll never get tired of it.

 

Seohyun finally stopped walking, a heavy chest pain almost kept her from breathing properly. She told herself that she might have let go of Luhan, but this time, she realized she has never really moved on. But he’s not the end of her.

“I see you brought that book…” Someone spoke from behind her. She quickly turned around and saw a familiar lad. He still looked the same, but some details of his face had already matured. He’s a grown man now, and he reminded her of a special person, his brother.

“Sehun-shi, you’re here.” Seohyun said.

“I already took over the Xi Corporations.” Sehun said. Seohyun softly smiled at him, and he smiled back. She could notice he was telling the truth, it was pretty obvious with the way he was dressed. He was in formal black suit, with tie.

Sehun walked to her side, and both of them looked down, read what was encrypted before them: Luhan’s grave. There was a bitter, and sad atmosphere. But it wasn’t as heavy and as dark when Sehun used to visit this place before. Now that Seohyun finally braved the fact of seeing his brother’s grave, it seemed that even a withered flower he left before in this place will blossom again.

Seohyun stooped down and put the first book Luhan gave her on top of the grave, beside the flower Sehun bought.

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked.

“I’m leaving everything behind,” Seohyun said and bit her lips. She knew tears were coming any time. “This is the first book he gave me, the beginning of everything. I need to leave it now.” She said.

Sehun took her left hand, “Then keep this one.” He put another book on her hand. As she read the title, she knew it was familiar. “That was the last book you received from him, when he broke up with you on your anniversary.”

Seohyun looked at Sehun,”You bought this from the book fair I—“

“Yes, I mean not really.” Sehun sighed, “I saw the venue where you sold all the books he gave you, then I saw a girl holding this one, and I had to bargain to get it back.”

“Why?” Seohyun asked. “I mean… there are lots of other books…”

“Because you have to keep this one.” Sehun said, looking at the book that’s now with Seohyun. “I know, and I’m sure that because he broke with you giving this book, you never really read it. but in that book, hyung wrote at the last page. You have to read that one.”

Seohyun quickly flipped the book to the last page and saw:

“Seohyun,

Did you ever know that the moment I saw you, under the rain, I knew it was love. And that I had to do everything to have you. Four years with you was special, memorable and everything to me. I was always happy because I knew, you loved me and I have always loved you.

When I found out I was sick, and cancer wasn’t curable, I spent nights alone and cried to myself. And when the next day comes, as the sun shines, I will be able to smile at you like I’m the strongest and happiest man alive. I am the happiest. But I wasn’t the strongest.

I am going to leave, but I’m not leaving you. I am leaving to come back. I will get cure. I will be fine. I will come back to you. I will never ask you to let go of me. Hold on tightly because I will fight for my life.

If that day should not come, then I have to ask of you one thing, and that is for you to move on. And you’ll see, someone will take care of you better than I did.

I love you, Seohyun. I always have. And whatever reason there is for me to leave, is that because I love you. I am choosing to leave in order to live. For you, I will.

Luhan.”

 

Seohyun cried. Sehun wiped her tears and kept his own tears to himself.

“You know,” Sehun sniffed. “That day at the airport, he denied that he loved you because he did not just love you, he loved you very much.” He paused, trying to control his emotions. “We all knew he was sick, during his teenage years. But he wanted to see, or to meet that person that would make him think that he deserves to live, that would make him want to live. And he saw that in you, Seohyun-shi.”

Seohyun looked at him, and managed to wipe her own tears. Sehun continued, “He hated wealth because his illness wasn’t treatable by any expensive treatments or medicines. Our mom died because she was sick too—and that’s the first time he realized wealth couldn’t do everything. But when he finally met you, he realized he couldn’t leave his wealth because it helped him pro-long his life. And he would take every penny to buy a second or a minute for his life.”

Seohyun looked at him, “Love isn’t just staying together, I guess he always thought it’s about sacrificing, suffering… everything can mean love.”

“Back then, he had always been reading that book.” Sehun said, “It’s actually a wonder why he flipped through the pages, and I’ve seen him start again at the first chapter. He never read until the ending. So one day,” Sehun let out a puff of air, and smiled upon remember his brother. “I asked him why, and he told me…”

“If I read the book to its end, then that’s the end. What’s then left for me? for the story itself? I thought that if I just keep on reading from the beginning up to a certain point in the story, the story will go on. There will never be an ending. That’s how I want my life to be. Never-ending.” Luhan smiled at Sehun, and he ruffled his hair afterwards as he continued reading.

Luhan had kept the book always to himself. Until one day came, and Sehun saw Luhan writing on the last page of the book.

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked Luhan. “Hyung?”

Luhan slowly looked up at his brother, “Some endings can be good too.” He smiled at him and continued writing.

“He still read the ending.” Sehun said.

Seohyun wiped her dried tears, made sure her eyes were now clean. “That means he already accepted the ending to his own life.”

Sehun nodded once. “Seohyun-shi,” Seohyun then looked at him directly, “You can forget everything. But always remember hyung loved you.” Sehun reminded her and she nodded. After embracing each other and bidding goodbye’s for some schedules he had to attend to, as Xi Corporations already belonged to him when it was originally Luhan’s, Seohyun glanced once more at Luhan’s grave.

She bent down, opened the book she put there earlier, took a pen from her handbag and started writing something on the first page of the book…

“In love.” Then she flipped the book to its last page and she wrote, “Nothing ends.”

Then she fixed her bag, put the book Sehun gave her inside, and stood up. For the last time, she looked at the first book he gave to her. And slowly, without any hesitation, she walked out of the cemetery without any burden in her heart.

Luhan loved her. And it was enough for her to move on.

 

As she was walking back to the car where Chanyeol was waiting, she was surprised to see Chanyeol was already, almost running, towards her. He sighed heavily as soon as he saw her. She almost smiled.

“Ms. Seo, what took you so long? I’m sorry, I thought something happened.” Chanyeol explained. The typical Ms. Seo would glare at him and answer him sarcastically. But she just ignored his question and continued walking. She stopped beside him and then looked up at the tall man. “W-waeyo?” Chanyeol almost stepped back, unsure of what her boss might do to him, or say to him.

Seohyun chuckled. “Aish, are you kidding me…” She muttered to herself. “What schedules do I have today?” She asked.

“You have a meeting with the directors in the morning. Lunch meal with one of the representatives of the resort which you will sign a contract within the next few months. After that, you have another meeting with the board of directors from the Wangui Network. At night, by six pm, you have—“

“A date with Park Chanyeol.”

“Neh?” Chanyeol had to blink his eye twice in a second, to see clearly if his boss, his first and only love for the longest time, was joking. But she just smiled genuinely at him. A smile he had never seen before. He wondered if she was like this with Luhan before. “A-aniyo, Ms. Seo. By six in the evening, you have a flight to Jeju Island together with the three CEO's of the three perfume companies under Seo Enterprise—“ Chanyeol stopped midway through his sentence when Seohyun quickly pulled him by his necktie and tiptoed a bit and kissed him on the lips.

Seohyun gave Chanyeol space after a few seconds. Her eyes sparkled, and so as Chanyeol’s. “So, do I have a date or a flight on six?”

“Uhm…” Chanyeol stuttered, “The president w-wouldn’t be pleased if… if you miss the flight—and, and the meeting for uh…”

“Fine, I’m going.” Seohyun said as she rolled her eyes playfully at Chanyeol and started walking towards the car.

Chanyeol finally manned up, as he grabbed Seohyun’s thin arm and turned her around to face him. “Yes, of course you’re going but not right now…” Chanyeol lifted her chin and kissed her passionately on the lips. Their eyes closed, and Chanyeol’s other arm pulled her closer to him.

Luhan may be gone, but there’s a love that lives on.

He was right. Someone will take care of Seohyun better than anyone else. And that was always Chanyeol. From the beginning.