A Fairy Tale

ONESHOT Compilations

It was a stressful day for Chanyeol—a typical student who was always bullied at school for being a geek. A group of students just made him do all their home works—just like the usual. It’s already dark outside when he finished their school works and he hasn’t eaten anything yet for dinner. He frowned as his stomach made a sound—he’s hungry. He walked faster to reach home before the road home gets creepier.

There were always some myths that the last block before the street of his house, which has a dark alley, has some creature that appears creepily at night. As early as eight in the evening, no one passes by that street because of this myth. But that night, it was already past eight in the evening, and Chanyeol was very hungry already. He couldn’t just believe those silly myths and take the longer way home. Besides, he’s a loser at school, a ghost wouldn’t mind him too.

However, as he was walking, he noticed a huge trunk of tree was chunked down—the tree which people believed where the mysterious creature resides. He sighed in relief, ‘finally, that tree is gone. I can walk peacefully at home—‘ when he suddenly heard a creaking sound. He halted walking and looked sideways, but he was alone. He slightly shook his head and just continued walking when he heard the same sound.

He sighed in annoyance. He badly wanted to go home but somebody’s playing a trick on him. He turned around to look at the person playing games on him, when…

“WAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!” He held onto his chest to control his breathing. He saw a lady in white flowy dress. She has a pale skin and her long hair flows behind her shoulders. She looked at Chanyeol, her eyes were beautiful, sparkling like the stars in the sky. She looked beautiful, the lad thought. In annoyance, he sighed again. “Aish, jinjja.” He mumbled, “What kind of girl walks along the streets at this time of the night, huh?” He asked the girl, his hands on his hips. “Whatever, I’m heading home…” He scratched the back of his head and decided to continue walking.

But then the girl appeared before him once again, he almost lost his breath this time. “H-how—you were there—“ He pointed behind him but the girl just looked at him. “Could it be—“ He thought of the myths once again, but he shook his head. “But I don’t believe those myths.” He sighed, “What do you want? I’m sorry for shouting earlier, I was just, uh… surprised to see you.” Chanyeol cheekily smiled. “But, annyeonghaseyo, Park Chanyeol-imnida.” He politely bowed and then pushed his specs in place after. The girl finally reacted.

“Why are you suddenly so polite?” The girl shot him a look of curiosity. “Anyway, give me a number.”

“Neh?”

“You’re actually the first person to talk to me. Whenever I appear, people will just scream and run away, but you—you just screamed.” The girl narrated.

“So why are you asking me a number?”

“Just say any number!”

“5?”

“Ok!” The girl clasped his hands, “You can give me five wishes and I’ll grant them for you.”

Chanyeol’s jaw dropped. “Daebak…” He said in a monotone voice.

“Neh?”

“No wonder why people scream and run away when they see you—you’re actually a psychopath.” Chanyeol thought to himself that he should have run away too.

“Excuse me? I am not a psychopath. I’m better than that, I’m a fairy.” Then suddenly, there were little sparkles that surrounded her. Chanyeol glanced at the tree that was cut down. And then he started walking the other way as fast as he could, away from the girl.

But then, just like what happened, the girl appeared before him once again. “Aish!!!” He scratched his head once again, “I have to go home and eat. I’m really, extremely, hungry and I have no time to waste and deal with your psychotic jokes. I’m sorry.” Chanyeol said in one breathing and walked, but the girl stopped him. “What—“

“You have five wishes~” The girl battered her eye lashes.

 

*burp* “That was a sumptuous meal.” Chanyeol rubbed his stomach. The girl just watched him ate everything she gave him after he made his first wish. Chanyeol looked at her and she was just pouting. She looked cute, but she looked annoying too. “Why look at me like that?! You could have eaten too, ok? I was even giving you something to eat…”

“I still can’t believe your first wish was to have food.” The girl said as she straightened up. Chanyeol stood up and took his bag. He started walking home, but as expected the girl followed him. “I wonder what your next wishes will be—I’m guessing it’ll be as materialistic as a smart phone, branded clothes—“

“Yah! I’m not going to waste my remaining wishes, ok?” He fixed his specs once again.

“Yeah, you just wasted your first wish.” The girl stuck her tongue out and Chanyeol got so pissed that he started chasing after her. Then he finally reached his home, but before he opened the gate, he noticed the girl was just standing beside him and looking at the façade of his house. Her hands rested behind her, clasped together. She looked very innocent.

“Genie-ya, aren’t you going home?” Chanyeol faced her. She still looked dazed upon seeing a house.

“So this is where a man lives?” She innocently asked.

“Yah, genie. I asked if you’re not going home.” Chanyeol repeated but the girl just looked around her.

“Genie? Who’s Genie?” There again, she looked so innocent.

Chanyeol scratched his head, “Aren’t you a genie? I don’t know your name so I just called you a genie.”

“Oh,” The girl nodded but then her eyebrows furrowed, “I am not a genie! I told you I’m a fairy—“ She was cut off when Chanyeol covered .

“Chanyeol-ah, is that you?” It was his mother. She opened the gates and Chanyeol looked very surprised. He let go of the girl and she hid behind him. Chanyeol was tall enough, but his mother just sighed. “Where have you been? Aigoo, go inside now. I have errands at the office.” Chanyeol just watched his mother get inside a car with her driver. Then the fairy stepped aside and looked at him.

“Why were you hiding me from your mother? You don’t need to do that.” The fairy cluelessly asked.

“Miss Genie, I’m a boy, and you—obviously you’re a girl. My mom will definitely punch me to death if she sees you with me, she’ll think I came home late because I was with a girl.” Chanyeol explained himself.

“What makes you think I’m a girl?” The fairy teased Chanyeol.

“What?! Aren’t you?!!!” Chanyeol panicked and the fairy just laughed at him. “Yah, stop pulling pranks on me, ok?”

“Will not unless you wish for it.” The fairy winked at him and then opened the gate. She went in even before Chanyeol so he had to hurriedly follow her.

But then when he got inside, she was just calmly walking along the garden towards the front door of their house, the maids and house helpers did not even look at her. They just bowed down and greeted him. They asked him if he had eaten, and he said yes. He just told them to continue what they were doing. As soon as he got inside their house and saw no one was around, he quickly grabbed the fairy’s wrist and dragged her upstairs.

“Genie-ya, what just happened down there?” Chanyeol asked, keeping his voice low so no one could hear.

“Hmm?” The fairy thought then it finally came to her. “Oh, I can choose the people who can see me. Don’t worry, I know you don’t want to explain yourself to everyone who lives in this… mansion.” Then she started hitting her head, “Aish, pabo.”

“W-wae? Stop hitting your head!” Chanyeol stopped her.

“I didn’t know you’re this… filthy rich. I should have chosen some child in ragged clothes so the wishes can make sense.” Chanyeol just stared at her. “No wonder you wished for food. Just… food.”

“Well, yeah? But you can trust me, I won’t be wishing for money, and any luxury items.” Chanyeol put down his bag and just crossed his arms “So now, I need my rest. And I need a little privacy.” Chanyeol winked and started changing his clothes. The fairy covered her eyes, but then she just decided to make herself invisible. Chanyeol thought she was gone so he peacefully lay down on his bed and slept.

The fairy stood up from sitting on the window’s ledge, and slowly walked towards the sleeping figure of the lad. She tried to remember his face, but it was definitely her first time to see him walking down that street where the tree she was living in stood. She’s perfectly knows everyone who passes by that street. She studied his features and discovered he has a very smooth and perfect skin. He was handsome in human preferences.

 

Morning came, and Chanyeol woke up with the fairy just watching him sleep. He quickly covered himself with the blanket and the fairy just chuckled. He slowly peeked at the fairy and she was just smiling brightly at him. The fairy finally looked away and looked at something she was holding…

“Is she your girlfriend?” The fairy asked. Chanyeol realized what she was looking at and he quickly got up and grabbed it away from her. “Is she from your school? She’s pretty!!!” The fairy squealed. “Do you wish for something between your girlfriend and you—“

“She is not my girlfriend.” Chanyeol said. The fairy noticed the boy’s expression changed. She couldn’t say anything. “I’m going to prepare now for school.” Then he just went to the bathroom, ate breakfast, and the fairy just followed.

A driver was actually waiting for Chanyeol. His car looked expensive, and it was different from the car his mother used last night. The fairy thought his family was indeed rich. Chanyeol knew the fairy was just with him inside the car, but he ignored her presence. The mention of that girl in the picture made him sad.

Chanyeol got down from the car two blocks away from school, and then he just started walking. The fairy followed him, but she noticed he was still silent which was very unusual. “So tell me what school’s like.” But he just ignored her. “I wonder how many students are in your school. Is it actually fun to study? I find it amusing to see the students… while I sat there on the tree—which was taken down yesterday…”

Chanyeol paused from walking, “Are you going to follow me at school?”

The fairy nodded, “Of course! You might need a wish!” Chanyeol just sighed in defeat. “Oh, don’t worry. I won’t bother you that much. I promise to disappear—“

“When will you, really?” Chanyeol asked. The fairy stopped and just looked at Chanyeol. She may not have known him for a long time, but being a fairy means she had no friends. And only Chanyeol actually paid attention to her, other people thought she was a ghost whenever she appeared before them.

“I will when your five wishes are done. D-don’t worry, you’ve got only four to go…” She silently replied.

 

When they got inside the school, the students threw harsh words at Chanyeol. The fairy was already eyeing the students who made fun of him, but no one could actually see her. If only Chanyeol would let her reveal herself, she would have thrown punches to them. Instead, Chanyeol just walked along the campus with his head down. The students threw jokes at him, and bullied him. But inside the classroom, they will talk to him and ask him to do their school works. The fairy could just frown watching him all throughout that day.

After school, the fairy couldn’t say anything. She walked with him towards the two blocks from school, and there, the driver was waiting for Chanyeol.

“Uhm, Chanyeol-shi,” the fairy cleared . “Why were you walking yesterday?”

“Oh, I had to do… school works for my class mates. I had to walk home.” Chanyeol plainly answered then they finally reached the car. The fairy stayed silent until they reached his house. When they reached his room, he quickly started doing the reports of his classmates.

She felt bad, but Chanyeol wasn’t asking for any wish so she couldn’t do anything about it.

She pulled a chair beside his study table, Chanyeol looked at her. “I can help you with that.” She said. “Come on, I’m a fairy, remember. I know a lot of things.” She said as Chanyeol smiled a little and handed her some papers.

Until midnight, they worked together on the reports of Chanyeol’s classmates. Chanyeol was so tired that he just fell asleep with his head leaning on the table. The fairy smiled to herself and adored just how hardworking Chanyeol was. And how kindhearted he was. Even if he was bullied at school, he never threw tantrums about it.

A few days passed, and this was the daily routine that happened. The fairy and Chanyeol would work together on home works and unknowingly, Chanyeol already grew fond of the fairy. So as the fairy.

 

One day, when Chanyeol was walking contently at school, the fairy tailing behind him without anyone seeing but him, someone blocked his path. He slowly looked up, and he wasn’t surprised it was one of the school’s most famous athletes, Choi Siwon. He was the eldest among the Choi siblings, they were very famous in the campus.

He stopped walking, so as the fairy.

“So what’s the loser doing along the path I am taking?” The fairy heard from the guy with a well-toned body who blocked Chanyeol. “Excuse me, but losers should know where to walk along the campus.”

Chanyeol just bowed and stepped aside to let the guy pass with his group of friends, but they didn’t.

“You should know how to respond, bow lower than 90 degrees, and—“

“I understand.” Chanyeol muttered then he quickly bowed down lower.

“Oh, not just that. I just want to let you know you don’t stand a chance with my sister, Choi Sooyoung.” The man said and walked away with his friends.

But then when Chanyeol was about to continue walking, someone bumped into him. She was in a rush. Chanyeol apologized and helped the girl to get up, but then he was struck when he saw it was Choi Sooyoung. The fairy who was watching saw her, and it was the same girl in the picture she found on Chanyeol’s room. As soon as the girl stood up, she quickly took her hand back from Chanyeol and dusted it as if she just held something unclean. Choi Siwon saw this, but he only gave Chanyeol a deathly glare.

After a stressful day at school, Chanyeol couldn’t wait to go home and do home works with the fairy. But when they were walking just a few meters away from school, the same group of boys blocked Chanyeol’s path. Then suddenly, they started beating him up. When Chanyeol was already weak and unable to fight for himself, as the fairy could just watch and not do anything even if she was so worried, Siwon pulled him up and said, “I told you, you don’t stand chance with my sister.”

When the boys disappeared, the fairy finally ran towards Chanyeol. She quickly helped him to stand up and walked to his car where his driver was waiting. The driver helped him as he saw a girl struggling to help Chanyeol walk. He was wounded. The driver rushed him to the hospital, and the fairy was now, to everyone, was visible.

Chanyeol’s parents couldn’t come—they were always busy at work but he understood them. Soon he’s going to inherit their family’s company, so he didn’t mind. It’s just that right now, after being beaten up by Siwon’s gangster friends, he felt so alone. He tried to move a bit, but then he saw someone was actually watching over him.

“The nurse said you’ll be fine. You only had bad bruises and a few scratches.” It was the fairy. He felt his heart flutter upon seeing she actually stayed with him. He smiled a little, “Why are you smiling? Do you know how stupid you were? You could have just shouted for a wish—whisper if you want, I would hear them. You could have wished for the ground under those guys to crumble down and swallow them alive. I can really make those things happen!”

Chanyeol was amused with the way the fairy was scolding at him.

“How can you still smile like that?!” The fairy asked once more. Slowly, Chanyeol reached for the fairy’s hand and squeezed it.

“Gwenchana, I see you also made yourself visible. I appreciate that.” Chanyeol smiled again. The fairy could just sigh. “What’s with the long face?”

“I was just wondering… why was that guy so mad at you, and protective of that girl—the girl I thought was your girl friend… Wait, isn’t she your girl friend?”

Chanyeol frowned again, “I was courting her before—but then as we were driving, we got into an accident. She was unconscious for a few weeks, and her family cursed me to death. Luckily, she woke up. But she couldn’t accept me anymore. I got rejected.” There was a few seconds of silence until the fairy decided to put up a light mood.

“Same reason why you’re always bullied at school? You should have transferred school, find another girl or—“

“I can’t. I just want to make sure she’s still doing fine.” Chanyeol said, “I can take the bullies. But if I just lay here on this bed, I can’t keep an eye on her. I hate being bullied now, if this is what it takes…”

“If you’re not bullied, especially by his brother, you could still probably prove yourself to her, right?” The fairy comforted Chanyeol.

“Right…” He sighed, “By the way, if you’re a real person, what do you want people to call you? In case my driver asks…”

The fairy chuckled, “I’d like to be called, uh…” She thought for a moment, “Seo Joo Hyun?”

“Seo Joohyun? That’s nice.” Chanyeol said, but slowly he frowned again.

“Does it hurt somewhere?” The fairy checked but Chanyeol shook his head.

 “I just wish people will stop bullying me. I don’t deserve it. It was an accident. What happened was out of my hands…” then slowly he dozed off.

“Pabo…” The fairy sighed, “I guess you only have three wishes to go.”

 

After a few days, Chanyeol was already fine to go to school. The fairy followed him and is now invisible once again to many people. He was walking with his head down but as soon as he entered the campus, it was weird that he did not hear any murmurs as he passed by.

It was already mid-day but no one has thrown jokes at him. No one bullied him. Even Choi Siwon did not pay attention to him at all. Sooyoung even flashed him a small smile when she used to roll her eyes at him. He glanced at the fairy who was sitting by the window with her legs swinging back and forth. She smiled brightly at him and then continued listening to the teacher inside the classroom as if she was a student too.

Chanyeol realized his second wish just came true.

 

After classes, he didn’t have to do extra loads of school works for his class mates anymore. Sooyoung also started seeing him again and her siblings did not mind it. Everything was back to normal, but it seemed that Chanyeol already forgotten about the existence of the fairy that never stopped watching over him, especially when he sleeps at night.

She sighed to herself. She has to fulfill just three more wishes and she can finally disappear.

 

The next morning came, and Chanyeol was brightly smiling. He was preparing for a date with Sooyoung. He left his house and the fairy walked behind Chanyeol. But as soon as Chanyeol realized this, he faced her.

“Genie-shi, I’m going to a date, I hope you know privacy.”

“But I have to follow you, in case you need a wish.” The fairy insisted.

“Come on, I don’t want to waste a wish on this one. It won’t be fair to have you around, especially that Sooyoung doesn’t see you.” Chanyeol said, slightly annoyed because any minute now, he’ll meet up with Sooyoung.

“I’m sorry but I can’t. Don’t worry, I’m already invisible to her, and I won’t do anything that will ruin your date.” The fairy raised her hand as a promise.

“No,” Chanyeol sighed, “the thought that you’re there already ruins the date.”

“Neh?” The fairy was surprised to hear such words from Chanyeol.

“When will you disappear?” Chanyeol panicked as he can see Sooyoung was already walking towards him, as he just reached their meet up place.

“I’m sorry, what?” The fairy asked, she didn’t know what got into her but it seems that she was hurt by the lad’s words. “I will only disappear after your last wish.”

“So now I wish for you to just disappear. Please!” Chanyeol said, after he blinked his eyes, the fairy was finally out of his sight. He was relieved at first, but then for a few seconds, he grew worried.

“Chanyeol-shi!” That sweet voice called out. Chanyeol smiled at her, but for one last time, he looked around to see if the fairy really disappeared. And it seems that she really did. He sighed, but left with a smile, together with Sooyoung.

 

Little did he know that his wish was granted but the fairy was still walking around with them. She was just sad and silent all the while, waiting for another wish that Chanyeol might ask for. She’s just ‘permanently’ invisible right now—she can still grant Chanyeol’s wishes, but she’s completely invisible.

“Ah, Chanyeol-shi…” Sooyoung said as they stopped by the beach. It’s been a long day, so they decided to rest for a while and walk on the beach.

“Neh?”

“You know you’re a great man, right?” Sooyoung said, and Chanyeol was still clueless of what she was saying. Is she finally going to give him her answer? “It’s just that I know you’ve tried so hard, and I forgive you for what happened before. The accident was… something nobody can forget about…”

“I know, I’m really sorry for that.” Chanyeol looked down and apologized.

“Of course, you’re sorry. But that’s not the point,” Sooyoung said and held Chanyeol’s hands. “Our family’s moving to America next month, we’re also going to prepare some papers so my siblings and I are going to stop attending school.”

“I—I don’t get it.”

“It was already planned. I’ve known this from the start, I just wanted to let you know that I have already forgiven you for the accident.”

“You mean…”

“I still can’t feel anything more than friends… between us. I’m sorry, Chanyeol-shi.” Chanyeol couldn’t utter any words upon hearing this. “And in behalf of my brother, I’m also apologizing for everything he’s done to bully you, to get back on you. He’s just really over-protective.” Sooyoung laughed a bit, but Chanyeol remained silent. “Chanyeol-shi…”

“Gwenchana—gwenchanayo.” Sooyoung did not expect that from Chanyeol. “It’s fine, I understand. I hope you’ll have a safe trip to America.”

Sooyoung did not say anything else anymore as they saw Siwon, together with Minho and Sulli, waiting for her. “I have to go now, goodbye, Chanyeol-shi.” She said as she waved at her siblings and walked towards them. Chanyeol could only watch her walk away.

He sighed. Then he called his driver to pick him up. He felt uncomfortable without the fairy with him. She was like a guardian angel to him already, but he just sent her away and made a mistake. When he entered his room, all he could think about was the fairy. It wasn’t fair—he should be thinking about Sooyoung but he did not even find the urge earlier to run after her or to stop her from going away. For once, it felt right to let Sooyoung go.

He stared blankly at the ceiling. And wished the fairy was still with him. He felt strangely sad. He rolled to his side and almost fell off the bed when he saw the fairy was there, lying beside him. “Y-yah, genie!!!” Then the fairy was surprised that Chanyeol could see him.

The fairy quickly got up from the bed, “Wait, you can see me???” Her eyes widened.

“My eyes are big enough to perfectly see what I’m seeing.” Chanyeol said as he got back on his bed. “How can you disappear and then, appear, just like that?!”

“Wait… let me get this clear…” The fairy said, “You wished for me to disappear to I did. So I’m guessing—“

“No, I did not!” Chanyeol denied.

The fairy just nodded, “Ok you only have one wish left.” Completely ignoring Chanyeol’s defensive statement. “Aish, you’re wasting your wishes. I swear you could have just wished for that Choi Sooyoung to stay, you know I can make that happen!”

Then Chanyeol thought for a moment, “If I ask for you to stay, will it come true too?”

“Neh?”

“I want my last wish to be that one.”

“Eh? Wait, Chanyeol-shi--! Your last wish would mean I’ll finally disappear, you cannot wish for that!”

“But I’m wishing for you to stay!” Chanyeol said, and just like that… the fairy was gone again. “Wait, where did I go wrong…” He scratched the back of his head before it finally sank into his mind. He just used his last wish, but that would actually mean the fairy’s mission, to grant his wishes, is done too, so basically she disappeared.

 

Chanyeol was walking to his classroom when he noticed a group of students were bullying someone. He sighed to himself, he used to be the one being bullied, but thanks to the fairy, he’s completely a regular student now. He was still thinking how stupid he was for having a conflicting wish. He was about to pass by the small group of students who were bullying a girl, but then someone bumped into him making him pause. He just got annoyed right away. And when he glanced at the girl who was being bullied…

“Y-yah, yah! Excuse me, excuse me.” He squeezed in the small crowd and made his way to the girl. “Guys, stop bullying her ok? Just go to your classrooms unless you want me to report this to the prefect of discipline.” He said and slowly, his juniors walked away. He looked at the girl and she looked every familiar.

“Thank you.” She bowed politely.

“Are you a transferee?” Chanyeol asked and the girl, still looking down, nodded. “I’m Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol. What’s your name?”

She looked up, and gave him a familiar smile. “I got you there.” She winked.

“G-genie???”

She smiled widely at him, “So this is what it feels like to be a human…” She played with her uniform and dusted them. “Aish, jinjja. I have to thank you for that last wish of yours.”

“You mean…”

“The only way for it to come true was for me to become a human.”

“You’re not a genie anymore?” Chanyeol whispered, in case anyone would hear it.

“I was never a genie! Remember, I was a fairy—like Tinkerbell! A fairy!” She made it clear.

“Tinkerbell’s cute, but look at you. Have you seen yourself in the mirror—“ Then he received a slap on the shoulder.

“Aish, whatever. I’m going to class.” She turned her back on him and started walking.

“Hey, Genie!!!” Chanyeol caught up with her. “Wait, should I still call you genie?”

“Oh, that…” The fairy halted from walking and brushed her hair to the other side and showed Chanyeol her name plate.

“Seo Joohyun.” Chanyeol read it. He smiled widely, and so did the fairy—the lady, who was once a fairy.

“I think you can call me Seohyun, humans use nicknames, right?”

“Hmm… I still prefer Genie.” Chanyeol said.

“Aish!!!” Seohyun just walked off, but Chanyeol still caught up with her and he continued teasing her.