A Christmas Special: You were Mine

ONESHOT Compilations

[A/N: I missed posting Seohyun onesots! :) So since it's the holidays season, I'd like to post a Christmas special. It was inspire by the songs I posted below; :) Hope you'll listen to them too!

I had so many thoughts on which guy to pick but I ended up using... Ah! You'll see! :) It's a surprise! I'm wishing everyone a Merry, Merry Christmas! Enjoy the holiday season! :) It'll be Christmas here in the Philippines in 18 hours! :)]

 

[Listen: Christmases When You Were Mine - Taylor Swift]

 

Seohyun was walking with Hyoyeon towards their house, carrying loads of grocery bags, after buying stuffs for the Christmas Eve. It’s a tradition for them to celebrate during Christmas Eve—having dinner together and opening gifts. Hyoyeon was her best friend and she would always attend the Seo’s traditional celebration of Christmas Eve. Together, they would always wait until twelve midnight before opening their Christmas presents. There was only one difference this year—she would not be spending it with Chanyeol.

 

“I think my biceps are now toned.” Hyoyeon said while adjusting the bags on her arms. Seohyun just softly chuckled. “I’m kidding, you know it’s really fine. I think it’s about time my arms should get a work out.”

“I understand. I should have brought someone else with us in his stead.” Seohyun said.

“I think it’s kind of strange.” Hyoyeon said and Seohyun looked at her. “To celebrate Christmas without Chanyeol. You know he’s been with you since your diaper days—longer than I was with you.” Hyoyeon’s voice trailed off at the end. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be saying these things, let alone mentioning his name—“

“No, it’s okay.” Seohyun cut her off and smiled at her best friend. “I’m fine.” Then they continued walking. “You know it’s been two months since we broke up. Three months is not a short time. I think I did pretty well during those times.”

“You know, sometimes I wonder…” Hyoyeon said, looking ahead of them as if picturing something in her mind. “I’m your best friend yet I never heard any bitter sentiments from you when he broke up with you. I mean, yes, you cried. But after that, I wonder where you threw away the pain.”

“It’s not easy.” Seohyun said, a small frown growing on her face, remembering everything that she went through. “Chanyeol and I started out as friends since childhood. I’ve been with him for such a long time. Maybe that’s long enough that I have to get freed from him.”

“Do you really want it?” Seohyun looked at Hyoyeon. “The freedom that he gave you?”

“I thought I’d marry him someday.” Seohyun said, tears beaming at her eyes but she held the tears back. “It hurts so much that I can’t put it to words. Having someone leave your life when he was with you before you could even say his name properly, and trying your best to cope up with the pain—it’s actually hard. But I thought it’s part of life when people come and go. I just thought Chanyeol would stay.” She paused then continued, “it hurts but I’ll continue to live.” She flashed Hyoyeon a smile to assure her best friend she’s fine. They smiled at each other and entered the gate of Seo’s house.

 

 

“Honey, are you going to the Seohyun later?” Chanyeol’s mother asked him when they were setting up Christmas decorations. It was kind of late to put up those things. Nonetheless, their family decided to decorate their home a little a day before the Christmas.

Chanyeol was putting up some Christmas lights on the posts when he paused and looked at his mother, “Mom, didn’t I tell you we’re not together anymore?”

Her mother frowned, “I know. I just thought you two stayed friends.” Then Chanyeol continued putting up the lights and thought he was having a hard time putting up the decorations because Seohyun used to help him always. “Both of you knew each other very well for so long, even before the two of you got together. Can’t the friendship be saved?”

Chanyeol faced his mother once again, “I think we’ve been friends long enough.” Then he looked at the decorations, “You think this is okay now, Mom?” Mrs. Park just sighed.

 

 

“Why aren’t you telling your mom?” Hyoyeon said when they were fixing the groceries on the kitchen.

“She’s very fond of him. I doubt she’ll be hurt as much as I am.” Seohyun fixed the cans on the cabinet. “She’ll find out too, or maybe I could tell her one day.”

“Well, I understand. But how did you keep it for months?”

“I said he’s busy with school since he’ll graduate from college next year.” Seohyun said and sighed. “I can’t believe he’s going to graduate now. I mean last year, it was my graduation and he was there.”

“And now, he’ll graduate and you won’t be there.” Hyoyeon supplemented her statement. “You know there’s still a chance for the two of you to get back together.”

“I’m afraid we’ve lost the chance since he broke up with me.” Seohyun went out of the kitchen and started fixing the house—making sure the house would be clean for the day.

“Come on, Seohyun.” Hyoyeon followed her. “You’re older than him, and you clearly have the idea of—“

“Being busy before graduation? Papers? Thesis? Requirements?” Seohyun shot her a look. “Please, I’ve been there too. But I did not break up with him.”

“I should have knocked some senses to Park Chanyeol when he broke up with you. He shouldn’t be okay with you not being okay.” Hyoyeon protectively said to her best friend.

“Let’s stop talking about him.” Seohyun said.

“How can we when both of us know you clearly want him back because you still love him and no matter what happens, we cannot let the day pass without you being back together because he’s here every Christmas Eve with you—“

“Hyoyeon!” Seohyun cut her off when she saw her mother coming from the gates.

“And your mom still doesn’t have any idea of it.” Hyoyeon muttered and sighed as Mrs. Seo opened the door and greeted them.

“Morning, mom.” Seohyun kissed her mom. “We already got the groceries in the kitchen. Tell us when you need help cooking.”

“Good, dear. I can’t wait to try some new recipes this Christmas Eve.” She looked around as if looking for someone else. “Where is Chanyeol?”

Seohyun and Hyoyeon exchanged glances, “He can’t make it today, Mom.” Seohyun said and she thought she heard Hyoyeon sigh. “He’s kind of busy. You know,” Her mother frowned. “He was really busy a lot lately and he thought he could spend it with his family instead.”

Her mother tried to put up a small smile, “Well, that’s good then. At least he values his family.” She then walked towards the kitchen, muttering, “I hope I can call someone to fill up his chair later. We cannot have empty chairs on the dining table on Christmas Eve.” Seohyun and Hyoyeon followed her to the kitchen.

“Mom, I’m really sorry…” Seohyun apologized and watched her mother prepare for cooking.

“Why are you sorry? It’s not your fault, darling. We’ll find someone to fill his stead.”

“How about…” Seohyun’s face lit up and looked at Hyoyeon, “Hyoyeon’s boyfriend? I mean she always spends Christmas Eve with us. It’s time to let her bring her boyfriend!”

“What?” Hyoyeon poked her side.

“Oh! Yes! I’d like to meet him too! Invite him to come. That would be very nice!” Mrs. Seo’s eyes brightened. “Now, could you to please clean the house first while I set up the kitchen?” Seohyun nodded and dragged Hyoyeon out of the kitchen.

 

“Seohyun! What is that?” Hyoyeon asked her.

“Just call anyone! Must be a boy.” Seohyun said.

“And let him pretend to be my boyfriend? I do not have one, what made you think of such lame excuse just to have someone—“

“Because I don’t want to ruin Mom’s Christmas Eve.” Seohyun said. Hyoyeon sighed and saw how desperate Seohyun was.

“Alright,” Hyoyeon took out her phone. “I’m expecting a good Christmas gift to unwrap later for this.”

“I promise.” Seohyun said then the doorbell rang. She ran to open it. She was surprised to see the courier had delivered something. She signed something and took the package.

“What is it?” Hyoyeon asked. Seohyun sat on the couch and opened it. “I thought only Chanyeol was into those kind of things—No, you did not.”

Seohyun stared at the headphones that she ordered from US. It was something really expensive and Chanyeol really wanted one before. So knowing it was from US, she ordered it months before—without knowing they would no longer be together till Christmas. “He really liked this. You think I should still give it to him? But I don’t want him to be burdened by the thought of owing me something because of a pair of headphones of his dreams”

“You are such a perfect girl friend.” Hyoyeon said.

Seohyun started tearing up remembering the times when she was still with Chanyeol. It was just hard to forget it and all their memories together. “Don’t say that.” Hyoyeon then reached out her arms and embraced her, “It makes me think that I’m not perfect enough for him to stay.”

“Because you are really perfect—perfect that I swear he’ll come back to you.” Hyoyeon patted Seohyun’s back. But Seohyun straightened up right away and wiped her tears.

“You should get start calling any of your guy friends to come here later, okay?” Seohyun stood up, “I’ll start cleaning outside first.”

 

Hyoyeon was calling her fifth one now but Mrs. Seo startled her. “Who are you calling?”

“My—my boyfriend. I’m still trying to contact him.” She smiled.

“You know you don’t have to bother.” Mrs. Seo said, “Why do you think Chanyeol could not come?”

“S-Seohyun said it earlier.” Hyoyeon said, “He’s… uh, trying to catch up with his family.” Both of them looked at Seohyun who was cleaning the front yard from the windows.

“But knowing Chanyeol, you think he really couldn’t?” Hyoyeon then looked at Mrs. Seo and saw her hopeful eyes. “If it’s for Seohyun, I doubt that he’ll decline.” Mrs. Seo sighed and patted Hyoyeon’s back, “Well so much for that. Call her and both of you help me out in the kitchen.”

The day went by with Hyoyeon, Seohyun and Mrs. Seo cooking and preparing meals for the Christmas Eve dinner. They were lacking help from Chanyeol as they usually had him help them in the previous years so Mrs. Seo had to call some of Seohyun’s cousins to come early. Hyoyeon carefully watched Seohyun and every time she did, she thought she saw sadness in her eyes even if her best friend tried to hide it. Seohyun was trying to busy herself helping in the chores rather than keep herself work-free while thinking of Chanyeol. It would not help her forget at all.

 

It was seven in the evening when the Seo’s house was all settled up.  Seohyun rested for a while inside her room with Hyoyeon. They lied down on the comfortable bed and then changed to cleaner clothes. Hyoyeon took the imported headphones and looked at it.

“You know, you should still wrap this.” Seohyun stopped and looked at her best friend who was already done changing clothes. “I mean you don’t have to see him, just drop it by his house when you know he’s not there.”

“Or give it to him when I see him. I should face him sooner and later.”  Seohyun casually said. She took the headphones from Hyoyeon and looked at it one last time before she put it inside a Christmas paper bag and labeled it ‘To Chanyeol: Merry Christmas! From: Seohyun’

“You sure about that?” Hyoyeon asked before Seohyun headed towards the door.

“Yes. Sure as how my stomach feels like eating dinner now.” She winked and opened the door to go downstairs, “Let’s go down now!” Hyoyeon smiled to herself and followed Seohyun downstairs.

 

The dinner would start in a few minutes and Mrs. Seo would give a short message to all her relatives and friends who came in a short while. It was a small party where only her closest relatives and friends were invited. They were already sitting in the dining room and Seohyun glanced at the empty chair across her as her uncles and aunts started murmuring about who could have not been there tonight. She elbowed Hyoyeon and whispered, “Where is your fake boyfriend?”

“I don’t have a boyfriend. And I don’t have a fake on too.” Hyoyeon whispered back.

“What?” Seohyun said and the doorbell rang just as when Mrs. Seo was about to speak.

“I’m kidding.” Hyoyeon smirked and Seohyun lightly slapped her arm.

“Let me get that.” Seohyun smiled to those who were in the table and lastly, she mouthed to her mother, ‘Sorry’ for cutting her short speech. She ran to the door and was surprised to see who Hyoyeon called for the Seo’s traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

 

When they walked back to the dining, Mrs. Seo’s face lit up upon seeing that Chanyeol came. Seohyun forced herself to smile even if she wanted to cry at the moment. She knew that sooner or later, she would have to face Chanyeol but she thought it would not be tonight—especially not in front of her relatives and her Mom’s friends.

She eyed Hyoyeon but her best friend just smiled at her. Mrs. Seo started delivering her very short speech and then they started eating. It was very awkward for Seohyun because Chanyeol was just across her and she could not avoid looking at him—even accidentally. But she tried her best not to even look up.

 

Later than night, they finally exchanged gifts. Seohyun’s relatives gladly gave her gifts and she accepted them with gratitude. Mrs. Seo also gave Hyoyeon her present for her and to Chanyeol. Seohyun watched everything happened before her eyes and before she knew it, she was remembering her Christmas memories with Chanyeol and how close yet so far he is from her right now. Throughout the night, even if he was just there, they never really said anything to each other after Seohyun told him to go inside the house since it’s cold outside when he came.

 

“I’ll go get some deserts! I baked something really good with Joohyun and Hyoyeon this afternoon.” Mrs. Seo exclaimed while clasping her hands. “Chanyeol, my dear, could you help me get those.” Chanyeol stood up and followed Mrs. Seo to the kitchen.

Hyoyeon sat back beside Seohyun after mingling with her relatives. “You sure you’re still fine?”

“I’m okay. I think I just need to get some air.” Seohyun told Hyoyeon and stood up. She stepped outside and stayed there at the balcony for a while.  When Chanyeol and Mrs. Seo got back from the kitchen with a tray cookies and cupcakes, he noticed that Seohyun wasn’t there in the living room anymore.

“She’s outside, if you’re looking for her.” Hyoyeon told Chanyeol. He lightly nodded and excused himself outside.

 

 

[Listen: Evening Sky - Ailee]

 

Seohyun heard the door swung open and it clicked close. She thought it was one of her cousins or relatives going home but when she glanced behind her, it was actually Chanyeol. He stepped closer and stood beside her, gazing at the colorful lights on the streets and the Seo’s front yard. The balcony was quite dim because the front yard was already lit with colorful lights.

Seohyun stayed silent for a while, maybe being with Chanyeol was enough for her, especially now that they weren’t in a relationship anymore.

“It’s cold here, you should go back inside.” Chanyeol said.

Seohyun faked a small smile, “I’m okay. I actually went here because I needed some fresh air.” There was a long pause of silence before Chanyeol broke it.

“I talked to your mom.” Chanyeol said.

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t know Hyoyeon will call you to come—“

“It’s fine. My mom actually wanted me to come too, I didn’t want to go at first—“

“You did not want?” Seohyun repeated his words because they felt piercing her heart even more.

“I did not mean it that way. You know the things between us aren’t that well, so I thought maybe you needed more time… alone. Or without me.” Chanyeol paused. “And if I didn’t come, there’d be an empty chair and I wouldn’t be able to talk to your mom.”

Seohyun looked down, and held back her tears. “I didn’t tell her.” Then she looked at Chanyeol. He saw her eyes glimmer in the dark. He did not want to ever see her crying once again so he had to look away.

“I figured that out when we talked in the kitchen.” Chanyeol said, Seohyun did not say anything for him to continue. “She was worried about you.” Seohyun bravely looked at him this time. “She told me you were spending a lot time in your room. She also told me there were times when you’d skip meals or just stay behind at home when there were occasions that she invited you to attend to.”

“Mom is a happy person, I couldn’t tell her the things that would make her sad or affect the happiness in her.” Seohyun said. “I couldn’t tell her my sentiments, my own pains, my own sadness because I know when I see her sad, I’d feel even more of them.”

Chanyeol tried to utter a word but he failed. It was as if there was a lump on .

“You know, I was kind of surprised—really surprised, to see you there at the doorstep standing, waiting for me to welcome you in.” Seohyun continued. “I know I wanted to see you, I know I didn’t want to celebrate this Christmas Eve without you, but you were the last person I expected to see tonight. So despite all that happened, I think I’m glad to see you.”

“I came because I never missed a single Christmas Eve with your family, I thought I shouldn’t miss out even just for a year. And of course, I came because of you. We’re still friends, aren’t we?”

Seohyun looked ahead of her again and avoided his question, “So how’s your studies?”

Chanyeol swallowed a lump on his throat, aware that Seohyun did avoid his question. “I’m doing well. I might actually graduate on time.”

“That’s good to know.” Seohyun said. “I’m happy for you.”

“Seohyun,” Chanyeol said, making Seohyun look again at him. “My mom told me this morning that maybe I should save at least the friendship. I—I was thinking about it, and I—“ He stammered.

“You know, it's Christmas season and we're supposed to be happy, forgive and forget, but I'm sorry I can't. Chanyeol, you know we spent Christmas together before, 'together'. And now we're here, in this balcony yet I don't think we can say we're still together. And staying friends when I thought we could still be more than that, again, wouldn’t heal the wound you left me, ‘Yeol.” Seohyun said. “For three months, I tried to put up with it and think everything will be fine. I strongly went to work, I woke up every morning, ride the bus, eat lunch, eat meals, and act as if I’m okay.” Seohyun’s tears finally gave in, they streamed down her cheeks but she wiped them. “But nothing happens, at the end of the day, I still break down and cry. I still cry to my sleep, asking God why He let me meet you, as young as I was when we were still kids, and just have you leave me in the middle of my life when everything started to make sense. All my life, I thought you’ll always be there, but those three months, I felt like you’re gone all my life.”

“Seohyun, I’m really sorry.”

“I know, I know you, Chanyeol. So much, and I know you’ll feel sorry about it.” Seohyun said, wiping her tears once again. “But I don’t want you to feel that way. I want you to feel the same way again—when we were together. I mean look at us, what are we without each other? Or am I the only one feeling this way?”

“No, Seohyun I feel exactly the same—or for me, it’s just as painful.” Chanyeol was finally able to speak and swallow the lump that kept coming back in his throat. “I know you wake up without me fetching you or dropping you in your office, I know you eat meals without me, I know you walk along every street we used to walk on before. I know them all, because I felt and did the same things too.”

“Why did you have to break up with me, Yeol?” Seohyun sobbed. Chanyeol stepped a little closer to her and cupped her cheeks, wiping the tears.

“Because… I don’t know. Maybe I was being stupid, maybe I was wrong when I thought I had to focus on my studies. Maybe I was seeing things by myself, or maybe I was so used to being with you, I didn’t know how different it would be without you in my life.” Chanyeol put his hands to his side. “Sometimes we think we’re strong enough when we get too selfish, but in the end we realize that we’re not strong enough alone for it’s the people we love who make us strong.”

“And I was extremely weak without you. And until now, I’m thinking on how to be strong again.” Seohyun looked away, “I’m afraid I already forgot the feeling of being strong and happy.”

“Seohyun, I’m really sorry. And I regret everything I have done because we’re friends for a long time, and I would always want to be by your side, and you by mine.”

Seohyun finally gave up the thought of getting back together. Maybe all that Chanyeol wanted was to be friends again, for that’s where they started from. Maybe she’d have to accept that one now.

“I think we better go back inside.” Seohyun walked back towards the door but she stopped when this thought came to her: There’s nothing but friendship between them.

So she stopped by the doorstep and looked at Chanyeol behind her. “Do you really want to stay friends?” She asked him but Chanyeol just looked at her. She assumed it was a yes. “I think it’s better to at least stay as friends, or call ourselves friends even if we won’t actually talk to each other because we both need time to forget.” Seohyun’s voice almost cracked but she managed to continue, “Don’t worry, I’ll tell Mom soon.” She held the door knob to twist it open but Chanyeol’s warm hand stopped her.

“I’m sorry, Seohyun.” He said once again as she looked at him. His eyes were full of sincerity.

“Chanyeol, I told you it’s—“ She was cut off when Chanyeol leaned in quickly and brushed his lips against hers. The butterflies in her stomach seemed to tingle a little. The kiss lasted for a few more seconds as Chanyeol’s hands pulled her closer to him. She finally gave up trying to feel if what’s happening was true so she wrapped her arms around his neck. Suddenly, all the tears seemed so useless because of the happiness that she felt. Suddenly, the cool breeze felt so useless with the warmth from Chanyeol’s arms.

“I’m sorry we can’t stay friends because I think we’re meant to be more than that and I’m afraid you won’t have to tell anything to Mrs. Seo.” Chanyeol said and they both smiled while he leaned in again for another kiss. They smiled between the kisses when suddenly, Seohyun thought she heard something clicked open.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Hyoyeon, with Mrs. Seo behind her, covered their mouths. “We thought we wanted to call you inside because of this.” Hyoyeon lifted the paper bag for Chanyeol, Seohyun’s eyes widened. “I’m extremely sorry for disturbing, should I close the door again?”

“No—no! We’re fine!” Seohyun said as Chanyeol chuckled at her and took the gift from Hyoyeon. Mrs. Seo led them back inside. He opened the paper bag and was surprised to see the headphones imported from US. He looked at Seohyun with widened eyes, “You bought this?”

She sheepishly scratched her nape, “You really wanted it, so I—I ordered it months ago.”

“She didn’t know you two would split—“

“Hyoyeon~!” Seohyun hushed her but Chanyeol just chuckled.

“Seohyun, this is too expensive. You didn’t have to—“

“It’s okay, Yeol. I know when you really want something. I’m glad you like it.” She caressed his cheek and smiled at him. Hyoyeon stepped aside and mingled again with others to give the two time alone.

“So, here’s my gift for you.” Chanyeol opened a little box with a necklace inside. It has that usual heart pendant, but of course, to Seohyun, it meant a lot because it was from Chanyeol. And every Christmas, necklace was his gift. He leaned closer and put it on her. He clasped the locks close and whispered to her, “I have another gift.”

“Hmm?” Seohyun asked.

“I love you.” Then he embraced her tightly and suddenly, Seohyun’s relatives clapped her hands at the sweetness of the couple. Seohyun blushed when Chanyeol kissed her cheeks in front of her relatives.

“Oh! It’s twelve! Merry Christmas, everyone!” Mrs. Seo shouted when the clock hit twelve o’clock midnight.