The Sequel: Long Enough

ONESHOT Compilations

Listen: Beautiful Stranger - f(x)

 

Suddenly, Kai’s eyes averted to Seohyun who was standing at the church’s doors. As Krystal was saying her vow, his attention was occupied by the beautiful lady standing from a distance. Though years had passed, Kai can perfectly recognize the young lady.

Seeing the ceremony going on, Seohyun stepped back. She met eyes with Kai for a matter of seconds but she looked down. She lost the hope that was left in finding the man she really loves. He was slipping away from her right before her eyes. She was about to leave when she heard murmurs inside. She contemplated if she will look back or not.

But she did.

Because her father collapsed.

She ran towards her father who was being patted on his cheek by her mother. “Seo Joo Hyun! Call the ambulance!” Her mom did not want to cause the ruckus as the wedding ceremony was going on. Suddenly everyone’s attention was on her father. Seohyun was about to stand up to call and wait for the ambulance but someone suddenly interrupted.

“I’ll take him to the hospital.” That voice. The voice that she longed to hear in five years. She looked at the source of the voice. And yes it was him. They stared at each other for a while. She was wondering ‘What is he doing? His wedding is going on!’

Before she could protest, few of his personal assistants carried her father to his car. Before leaving, she looked back at Krystal who was left standing alone at the altar. She looked at her as if apologizing. Krystal just looked at her and wiped the first tear to touch her cheek.

“Seohyun-ah, come on! Hurry!” Her mother called. Without any word, she quickly took her car keys and drove to follow Kai’s car to the hospital.

To everyone’s utmost surprise, the wedding was called off. The Kim’s weren’t even able to stop Kai from saving Mr. Seo’s life for he was a very good friend to them.

Seohyun’s father was rushed to the emergency room. She kept on calling numbers for some help and for her fathers’ past doctors to come for help. She sighed in relief when some came to help. She did not know her father was seriously illed for having so many doctors. She paced back and forth on the lobby while waiting.

Her mother was at the chapel, praying for the life of her husband.

While Seohyun was alone worrying for her father.

She finally sighed and sat on one of the chairs. She stared on the floor thinking about things. She has to find a way to help her father and ensure his treatment. She was too occupied that she did not notice someone sat beside her.

He was still in his tuxedo. He gazed upon the lady that he loved the most. He suddenly felt complete by just sitting beside her. Seohyun sighed again. This time, Kai did not hesistate slipping his hand into Seohyun’s.

Seohyun almost jumped when she felt someone holding her hands. She looked at their hands entwined and then slowly looked at the person beside her.

It was him. It was Kai.

She wanted to say so many things to him but right at that moment, she was speechless. “You came back.” Kai softly whispered. She avoided his gaze. She knows it was her fault that they were apart for five long years. She wasn’t even able to say a formal goodbye to him. She did not leave any word to him. And now, here he was—sitting beside her.

“I could run for a thousand miles just to come back.” She said as she squeezed Kai’s hand. “My life is here. All the reasons to live are here.”

“But you left me with no words...” Kai said looking down. It was visible how painful it was for him. Seeing him like this, the pain struck Seohyun twice as hard. “You just left without saying a word. You don’t have any idea how pathetic I became when I learned you’re in France.”

Seohyun apologetically looked at Kai, “I could have told you but Dad did not give me a chance to. I, myself, did not even know I had this flight settled to France.”

“I understand... Seohyun, no matter what reasons you have... I would always understand.” Kai emphasized. He pulled her to his chest and squeezed her shoulder. Seohyun could smell his scent and realized how much she missed him.

“But Krystal...” Seohyun trailed off.

“I thought I can forget you. But no matter how hard I try to, I couldn’t.” Kai sighed. Seohyun could hear his breath. “It has always been you, Seohyun. Only you.”

“I’m sorry for making you wait for so long.” She said, “If only Dad wasn’t this sick... if only he let me know in the first place...”

“Shh...” Kai hushed her, “No time is long enough for me to give up on you.” He kissed the top of her head and snuffled the scent of her hair. Just the way he missed her.

 

For the next few days, Seohyun’s father was confined in the hospital but he was already stable. Seohyun kept on looking for job opportunities but the course she had taken in France did not give her a chance to get a job. If she’s still in Europe, then opportunities must be around.

However, she received an email offering her a job with good pay check. But it would require her to go back to France. She declined the offer and ignored the email. She quickly closed the window when Kai walked inside her bed room.

“What is my girl busy doing?” Kai walked towards her and gave a peck on her cheek. Seohyun avoided his gaze.

“Nothing. I’m still looking for a job.” She closed her laptop and gazed up on Kai. “Your girl is a jobless person. How shameful.” She cutely pouted at him.

“I told you to just temporarily work in the office in replacement of your father.” Kai gazed at her. He knows how much Seohyun loved her father so much.

“I need a permanent job, Kim Jongin. It’s for my father.” Seohyun said.

“Hey, who gave you the permission to call me by my real name?” Kai teased Seohyun.

“Why, Kim Jongin? Can I not?” Seohyun stuck her tongue out.

Kai leaned closer, “Stop calling me by my real name. God, I hate it. Come on, Kai is a lot cooler than Jongin.” Kai poked Seohyun’s side which earned him a giggle from her. Indeed a sweet music to his ears.

“Ah, really, Jongin-ah?” Seohyun continued teasing. “Jongin, Jongin, Jongin, Jongin! It actually sounds good!”

“Stop it, Seohyun!” Kai just smiled at her. “Don’t call me that way!”

“Why?!” Seohyun pinched his right cheek, “Jongin!”

“Aish! Stubborn!” Jongin pinched her nose in return.

“Jongin sounds good, really! You don’t have to worry about it.” Seohyun started poking his sides. “Right, Jongin? Jongin, Jongin, Jongin—J”

Kai suddenly took her hands that were poking his sides and scooted closer to her. Their faces were just inches away from each other. He intently gazed at her, “Say it one more time or I’ll be the one to make you stop.”

Seohyun gulped, she can feel Kai’s breath on her face and it was sending shivers down to her spine. She sheepishly laughed, “Okay. Not going to mention it anymore.” She motioned to zip . Kai smiled at him in triumph and stood up.

“As usual. I win.” Kai stretch out his hand, “Come on. Let’s go back to the hospital.” As soon as Seohyun placed her hand on his, he suddenly pulled her up making her scream in shock for almost falling off bed.

“YAH KIM JONGIN!!!” Seohyun suddenly blurted out. Kai smirked and Seohyun realized what she’s done. She quickly covered .

“What did you just call me?” Kai pulled her closer to him and Seohyun just shook her head. Kai removed her hand that was covering . “Did I hear it right?” his smirk grew.

Seohyun rolled her eyes, “No, apparently, I think you were hearing things, Jongin.” She was about to cover again upon realizing her clumsy tongue slipped off Kai’s real name again but Kai held her hands firmly on her sides.

“Okay, maybe I’m hearing things.” Kai loosened up and stepped back making Seohyun sigh in relief. But then he quickly pecked on her lips, “Or not.”

“Y-yah, Kim J-!!!” She was stopped by Kai kissing her. All of the years that she had loved Kai, she never had her first kiss. Her eyes widened in surprise that Kai wasn’t stepping back, it wasn’t a peck like earlier. Seohyun was lost in her trance. Kai’s lips melted on hers as her eyes slowly closed. Kai removed his grip on her hands and wrapped his arms around Seohyun’s slender waist. Seohyun involuntarily s her arms around his neck.

Both finally parted to breathe air. Seohyun blushed upon realizing what just happened. She couldn’t meet Kai’s gaze as she quickly put her arms off Kai. Kai her cheek and lifted her chin to make her look at him, “So you like calling me Kim Jongin.”

“Will not anymore.” Seohyun said. Kai just chuckled at the cute pouting Seohyun.

“Come on. Let’s go.” Kai took her hand as they left to the hospital.

 

After a few more days, Seohyun really needed money to pay for his father’s operation or his life would be in danger. She opened her email and saw the French company offering her the job. She contemplated on it. She doesn’t want to leave Kai anymore. But it’s her father that’s more important.

Her mother walked inside her room, “We need to help your father. We cannot let him die...” Her mother shed a few tears. Seohyun hugged her tightly.

“Mom, don’t worry. I’m getting a job. But be sure to be here always for Dad.” Her mother looked at her. “I’m offered a job in France. It gives paycheck satisfactorily that will ensure us to push through with Dad’s operation as soon as possible.” She assured her mother.

“N-no, Seohyun...”

“Yes, mom. If I accepted the job, the pay will be higher. Don’t worry. It’s not like I’ve never been in France before...” Seohyun forced a smile.

After a week or so, Seohyun headed to the airport to leave. She wanted to say goodbye to Kai, but it will just be painful for both of them. She just decided to let her mother tell Kai once he visited the hospital.

She was waiting for her flight at the airport when Kai came running. Her eyes widened in surprise. She wanted to leave without anyone else knowing aside from her mom. She doesn’t want Kai to stop her. But right now, she’s afraid that Kai must be mad at her. She stood up when Kai was already standing in front of her.

“K-Kai...”

“You cannot leave.” Kai said.

“But I have to.”

“I’m afraid you can’t.” Kai plainly answered. She tilted her head. She couldn’t understand what he was saying.

“Kai, I’m sorry. But I have to leave and earn money for Dad’s operation—” She was cut off when Kai took the ticket from her hands. “Kai!”

“I said you cannot leave.” He pointed at the date on the ticket. The date was months from now. Her eyes widened. It was the ticket that her mom settled for her. She quickly grabbed it back, trying to make sure she read it right. Heck, it was indeed dated months from now!

“What the hell?!” Seohyun hissed.

“Apparently, I have the same ticket...” Kai said trying to act cool. Seohyun’s eyebrows furrowed. “Because next time you’ll go to France, that would be our honeymoon already...” She still couldn’t get it. Her eyes widened when Kai suddenly knelt before her, “Say Jongin if it’s a yes.” He revealed ring before her.

She held back her tears, “But what question am I supposed to answer?”

“Marry me.” Kai suddenly said while holding her hand.

“That’s not a question, Kim Jongin.” Seohyun rolled her eyes but she felt Kai slipping the ring on her finger. He stood up and kissed her forehead.

“That’s already a yes.” Kai smirked at her, “I know you’d be saying Jongin right away.”

“But Kai... I have to leave. As in right now...” She looked around.

“Actually, we’re running late...” Kai glanced at his wrist watch. “Your father’s already undergoing the operation... We should go now and not waste time—” But he was interrupted when Seohyun lovingly kissed him. Kai felt his cheeks hot realizing Seohyun was the one who initiated the kiss and it was in public.

Seohyun pressed her forehead against Kai, “I’m not going away for the second time. But don't you think this is too soon?”

Kai softened, “Good. Because I’m not letting you go again this time.” It was the love that they have longed for.  “I've loved you since high school. I'm pretty sure that's long enough for me to have endured not telling you that I love you.”

Seohyun teared up hearing those three words from Kai. Because after a long, long time, she’s finally given the chance to tell him how she feels. “I love you too.”