HOME...is where the Heart is

HOME...is where the Heart is

In the moonlit night, we listen to the crickets whistling in the gardens, as we move our bodies that echo the movements of the swing.  There are many queries running through my head, but the silence is too comforting to be broken in the garden where my happiest childhood is.

Taking a quick peek at me, he then leans back to rest his head comfortably on the swing, “We have all night. Take your time.” 

 “I know that there are a million questions running in your head now.”

I glance at him, awe that he could read me like a book

I lean back to assume the same posture as him, staring at the same starry night above us.  Still reluctant to break the serenity between us, I close my eyes and take in meditative breaths. I do not mind the silence lasting as long as it last. But, questions has to be answered and answers is what I need now.

“Why are you here?” comes my first question.

Smiling from ear to ear, he proudly announced, “I own this place.”

“What…?” I nearly choke on my own breath, “How…?”

“All my life savings goes into buying over this house,” he beams.

I blinked a few times at the ridiculosity, “But….but..WHY?”

He looks at me soulfully, “Because of you.”

Confusion clouds my memory as I could not recall unveiling any information about this house to anyone, not even him. With voice still stuck in my throat, he takes the liberty to continue, “Do you know that you sleep talk?” he smiled, as if recalling the old days with amusement.

“When we were kids, you used to cry and talk in your sleep. You revealed that you felt lonely and you missed home so badly that you even described every single room that was painted with memories of your parents vividly.’

“I heard you every night.”

He stayed up all night to pay attention to my dreams.

“I know how much this house means to you, because this is where your memories with your parents are.”

“I wanted to wipe off those nightly tears, but I could only cry with you in silence, feeling your pain. I decided I wanted to do something for you. But what could I do at such a young age then?”

He pauses and wets his lips before continuing, “I decided to buy your house. I wanted to give this house to you so that you could live in those memories again.”

Too shock and curious to be tactful, I accuse, “How did you get the money? You earn so little! It must be millions!”    

Without heeding my bluntness, he replies monotonously, “I work. I did odd jobs.”

“You work?” I repeat his words as if this is the first time I am aware of his early mornings and late nights throughout our stay in the orphanage. Actually, I have known that he was working then, but it had never occurred to me that he was slogging his life, day and night, for me.

“Surprised, aren’t you?” he chuckled sadly. “Paper boy, milk man, dish washer, gardener, bouncer, waiter…you name it, I’ve done it.”

My chest is heaving up and down, weight by self-blame and guilt. His frugality of not even willing to spend an extra cent to have a decent meal, staying in a shabby house that is not even well furnished for the least decent living conditions…just to save enough money for this mansion? And all this time, I had reprimanded him for being not forward looking and unambitious. How could I have been so insensitive and superficial?

“Twenty years on and finally, all my hard work bears fruit. I had the key to this house in my hand and rushed to your home to break the good news. It was the same day when you happily sang worship of Siwan. Siwan is rich, and this house will not mean anything to you with all the things that he could shower you with. I could only hold tight to the key in my hand, not knowing what should I do with it next. My world shattered and I thought I would die right there and then. But seeing you so happy, I could not ruin what you have been searching for in life. I just wanted you to remain that happy forever, so I…” 

“…so you distant yourself from me and started a relationship with Min Jung.” I continue his words on his behalf, as if the truth suddenly dawns on me.

“YES!” he covers his face and shakes with remorse. “She is a very nice girl, but yet I and I thought I could rid myself of thoughts of you through her. But I selfishly hurt Min Jung and hurt myself even more. I realized I could not put up with the act anymore after we met that night.”

He looks up from his palms, teary-eyed, “I just wanted to escape from everyone and I hid here to avoid hearing anything about your wedding or about you. I thought of dying but I do not want you to shed any tears for me.”

I wanted to say something but the grip in my heart refrains any words from escaping my mouth. Catching on the silence, Hyun Joong proceeds, “I was wallowing in alcohol and self pity till Siwan came to me.”

Not that it is unsurprising that Siwan has his network and means of getting the most unsolvable cases solved with his wealth, his involvement somehow shakes me by surprise that he would do this for me, even after all that I had done to him.

“He engaged a private investigator and found me. And it was only when he appeared here, that I know that you and him did not go through the ceremony.”

Tears are bursting through his retina and he already has difficulty expressing his words in between choked sobs. “He asked me to meet you, to tell you truthfully how I feel. I thought about it for a long time and I agreed. I know you must think me a fool by now and it’s true! I am so ashamed of myself. I hurt Min Jung because of my cowardice and I am just an ordinary man who could not even provide a decent meal for myself.”

“Please forgive me, So Min.”

“STOP! HYUN JOONG! STOP!” I spring towards him and bring him into a tight embrace. I could allow him to reproach himself anymore.

Blaming myself and feeling sorry for the sufferings he had been through for me, I could only react with anger to hide my guilt, “You wasted your childhood and your education to do all this?? What is wrong with you?! Are you stupid?”

“Because I love you, So Min! Call me stupid, naïve or any gross names that you could think of! I love you no matter what you have become or how you would become. I love you even when you don’t heed my existence. I love you even when you are wrinkled and old. I love you even till my last days on earth…”

“ …there’s nothing else that I could offer you.” 

I am lost for words. For the first time in my life, my heart melts by the proclamation of his pure love. To be loved but causing him so much misery at the same time, my feelings is battling at a margin of ecstatic and yet pain at the same time. No words could express the complexity of my emotions right now.

If this is what it feels to be in love, then I must have fallen deeply into it.

“You have everything nobody else in this world can ever offer to me,” embracing him tighter.

“There’s no one else in this world I want to wake up in the morning to, no one I want to watch sunrise and sunset with, to share my ups and downs with, to have children with and to grow old together…”

The words came to me fluently as they are spoken right from my heart. Overwhelmed by their honesty, I am crying and my whole body is shaking like a leaf, “…no one but you.”

Cupping his face in my palms, I look straight into his eyes to make sure I have his full attention, “There’s no one else in this world I want to be with other than you. So, listen carefully, Kim Hyun Joong. I love you and I will never feel for anyone else this lifetime. Don’t you ever forget that even for a second.”

Removing my left hand, which was still cupping his face, and clasping it firmly in his, “So Min, did you really mean what you just said? Am I dreaming? Not even in my wildest dreams did I dare to dream that this would happen.”

Swiftly, I lean closer to him and take his lips in mine into a deep, mesmerizing moment. When we part, our breaths are uneven and both of us are unwilling to destroy the magical moment.

“Tell me now if you think this is a dream.”

“If this is, I never ever want to wake up.” Hyun Joong gazes into my eyes passionately. “I love you, So Min. I will never allow you to cry a single tear for or with me. I will never let you suffer for me. If I ever falter one day, I will throw myself into the darkest abyss in hell. So Min, this, I promise you. Would you take my heart and guard it near to yours and please don’t break it?”

“Hyun Joong, I will not take your heart because from now on, our hearts will be one. And, this, I promise you, I will love you for better or for worse, in rich or in poor, in sickness or in health…

Till death to us part….”

As I proclaim my undying love for him, both of us are overtaken by the emotions bursting through every pore of our skin and tears that echo our heart’s content flow uncontrollably.

He folds me into his arms and locks me in a tight embrace, “Thank you, So Min! Thank you! Thank you!”

Surrendering myself to him now and forever, I know that I have finally found home. And where is that home, you ask…

Home…is where my heart is…

…where it will be loved and treasured, and where it will love and treasure another heart that belongs to my endless love…

…my best friend and my dearest husband, Kim Hyun Joong.

 

**********************************************************

Bowwow

I think I have been apologising every time I update this story. But this may be my last time apologising for this story.

SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE!!!

(Xq)

I've finally completed the present, as promised, though it's a few months belated. Hee hee..sorry if the present is not good. Thanks for stimulating me to write this story and also for supporting it every time it was updated.

 

(All friends, subscribers and readers)

Thanks everyone for taking time to endure through all the chapters. Special thanks goes to the following friends kyle_16, sophiale, JulianKevin, michily, Arwen25, liSSie, serenity86, zyjill, 160Mhel, Megi_megumi, Loveminjoong, YoonJiJoong, Shain44, gummy_bear, raxelle, mikkyminnie, bsjlover, ZMazz_y, jobarza57, princemakaroo, ghie29, Adriana1298, for leaving all those wonderful comments that serves as encouragement to continue writing the story.

And also thanks to Loney_park for introducing this song, 'Home is where the heart is' by Lady Antebellum. I did not know at first that the title of my story happens to be the title of a song...the similarity is purely coincidental. For anyone who is interested to listen to the song, you can access this link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGDmZw-liFg

It took me a very very long time to write this chapter. I am not good in writing love stories, especially those that is so 'touchy'. For a mystery and horror book lover,  it felt rather uncomfortable, wiriting this chapter frankly. So, forgive me if those lovey dovey scenes are not good for I've tried my best. And please ignore all mistakes, cos I just wanted to upload it quickly and did not vet through the chapter again.

 

 I will now concentrate back on my other story 'River of Not Return'. Please support this story too.