Confrontation

I Still Believe In Love

Ella was still stunned to hear those words coming from Chun. Seeing Ella’s reaction, Chun suddenly thought of something to change the atmosphere.

“I’m just kidding!” and he laughed at her. Ella punched him right away and cursed him for teasing her. The truth is she’s just hurt because it was just a lie. If only she knew that Chun was actually hiding his true feelings, she would definitely be the happiest person on Earth.

She stood up and exited the room. Chun had nothing to do and just went back to work. Ella unconsciously bumped into some staffs but didn’t even care to apologize. They just looked at her and continued walking. She didn’t know where she is heading to. After taking some steps, she saw herself in front of Selina’s office. Just like what she did with Chun, she just entered the room without even knocking.

“So, what brings you here?” and she closed her laptop. Ella didn’t know what to say. She wanted to tell Selina all the pain she is feeling right now.

“Chun,” that was only word that came out from .

“What about him?”

“He actually told me that he likes me.” Ella didn’t have the guts to continue talking. She knew that Selina would be hurt but she can’t find anyone whom she can share her feelings with. Looking at Selina’s face, pain is actually present.

“Oh, that’s great! What’s wrong with that? Look at the brighter side of it, Ella. The president of this company actually likes you,” Selina said.

“Selina! Don’t you get it? I’m a lesbian, remember?” Ella irritably told her.

“No, you aren’t Ella. You’re just looking for someone to share your stories with and that was my role before. Now, face the world,” and she hugged Ella tightly.

“But…” Ella wasn’t able to continue what she was about to say because Selina covered . “No more buts, Ella. Just be yourself!” she said.

Ella quickly removed Selina’s hand and stood up saying, “But he told me that it was just a joke!” Selina couldn’t believe what she has heard. She never thought that Chun would be able to do that. She then walked near Ella and cupped her face. “Don’t worry, dear. Maybe he’s just not sure of his feelings.”

“Not sure? How can he be unsure of his feelings?” Selina feels so happy to hear Ella say those words. She is now confident enough to say that Ella really isn’t a lesbian at all. Again, Ella just needs someone who would listen to her stories, whether big or small.

Selina offered Ella a cup of coffee to help her relax a bit. Ella rejected her offer and decided to go home already. She was too tired to stay a little bit more. She left the room and after a while, Selina also left heading to Chun’s office.

“Chun?” she looked at him and he offered a seat to her. Chun’s heartbeat suddenly went faster but he doesn’t know the reason why.

“I actually want to ask you something. I hope you don’t mind,” and she smiled at him.

“Go ahead. What is it?”

“Honestly, do you like Ella?” and she deeply looked at Chun. There are only two things he could say; Yes or no. Yes, it was just a simple question, yet he didn’t know how to answer.

“Like? How can that be possible?” and he laughed at her. “She’s a lesbian, right?”

“She isn’t a lesbian!” she replied with a livid tone.

“But she is your ex-girlfriend!” he quickly replied stressing the last word.

“Yes, she is my ex-girlfriend. But listen to me, Chun. She is just looking for someone who could listen to her every moment of her busy day. And I believe that you are the perfect man for her. Change her, please?” Selina knelt down before Chun hoping that he would listen to her. Chun held her hand and helped her stand right away. He wiped the tears from Selina’s eyes and said, “Yes, you’re right. I like Ella. But I am not sure if I can change her. What if she still loves you?”

“That’s impossible. I just talked to her a while ago and—“ she was cut when someone suddenly entered the room. It was Ella.

“Oh, I’m sorry to disturb you. But I think someone is looking for you, Chun.” And she shifted her gaze to Selina. Ella gave way to a man who looks older than Chun.

“Dad! Why are you here?” he said without looking directly to his father’s eyes.

“Don’t I have the right to drop by here?” and went nearer to hug Chun. Ella and Selina just looked at the father and son encounter. “So, have you done your promise?” his dad continued.

“Uh, ye-yes.” Chun grabbed Ella and hugged her. “She is my girlfriend, Ella. Ella, this is my father.”

Ella stared at Chun for a moment and looked at his father. She smiled at him and offered her hand. “Hi, I’m Ella. And I’m glad to meet you!”

Selina was still behind them and she can’t believe what’s happening. Chun never told her about their deal. They have been working for a couple of years now, but not once did he share about his father.

“Oh, you seem to be a nice girl. Son, you really know how to choose your future wife.” He gave Chun a tap on his shoulder and left the room. When they heard the door shut, Ella immediately removed her hand from Chun’s.

“What the hell was that for??” Ella said.

“Let me explain, Ella.”

“You really have to!” Selina interrupted. “But this isn’t a good place to discuss about this topic. Let’s go have some coffee,” she continued. The two remained still and Selina had no choice but to push them out of the room. So they went to the coffee shop. Oh well, that coffee shop again. Selina got a table for them and they all comfortably sat down.

“Now explain,” Selina said. Ella, still wobbly, did nothing but stare at every part of Chun’s face.

“It’s like this. Dad and I had an agreement that I should already have a girlfriend or else he would take the company away from me.” His voice was so soft that it seems like he is just whispering.

“So you are saying that you would lose your position if you still don’t have a girlfriend?” Selina asked.

“And you would also lose yours,” he quickly answered. “Ella, I’m begging you. Please help me with this. Can you?”

“If it would not affect Selina, I wouldn’t help you. But since she’s included in this big ‘agreement’ of yours, I will try my best.” Ella smiled at Selina and Chun. That line made Chun realize that she still likes Selina. Or maybe just as a friend.

“Thank you, Ella. You would also benefit from this, girl!” Selina thought and secretly laughed.

“Until when do we need to pretend that we are lovers, Chun?”

“Your question has double meanings, Ella. Haha!” he said to himself. “Just for a while,” he told her.

“Oh, okay.” Ella was satisfied with his answer but Selina noticed that Ella’s expression suddenly changed. Selina excused herself and went to the comfort room. There she texted Chun to tell him not to make Ella feel uncomfortable. He understood what she wanted to say and thanked her for doing such a good act for him.

“I think,” “Chun,” they consecutively said.

“You go first,” he told Ella.

“I can’t promise you that I will be a good actress in front of your dad.”

“You are a script-writer. You know how to handle emotions. I believe that you would be able to do this,” and he held her hand. Ella suddenly felt the spark and realized how sincere Chun was. “So what are you going to say?” Ella asked him.

“Uh, do you still like Selina?” he was able to say that in just 2 seconds. Ella didn’t understand a single word. “I’m sorry, but I didn’t understand anything. What did you say?” Ella asked.

“Do you still like Selina?” he repeated.

“Of course I like her….as a friend,” she said. Chun and Ella didn’t know that Selina was just steps away from them. She heard every word that Ella mentioned. She didn’t get hurt, not even a little pain. She was happy for her friend, or best friend I suppose. No, ex-girlfriend to be exact.

“You’re doing great, Ella! Chun, take care of her,” and she silently left the place.