The Agony of Being the Second

I Still Believe In Love

Months have passed and Ella and Amber’s relationship grew stronger. They went out for a couple of times. And during those dates, they often see Chun at the same restaurant or place. Ella knew he was following them, but she didn’t mind about him and continued showing affection to Amber.

Chun, still confused and greatly affected by this, kept on denying to himself that Ella doesn’t love him anymore. But his heart and mind clearly tells him that she still has feelings for him. And Chun also has special feelings for her, still. He never stopped loving her. He never got tired of waiting for her to come back.

Soon, he found out another way to get her back. “I should get a girlfriend right away,” he proudly said. Seeking for revenge was his last resort. His point-of-view has already changed. If Ella was able to find a replacement in less than three months, he will be able to find a girl in less than a month. “You’ll see, Ella. You’ll see…”

So there, he went out almost everyday. Bars, malls, parties—he would often go to these places and events just to attract some girls. Well, honestly, he didn’t fail. More and more girls got attracted to his handsome face and well-built body. There was even an incident where he was in the bar and a lady, better yet, a hooker approached him and asked, “How many digits do you earn a month, Mr. Hottie?” He was a bit tipsy at that time leading him to this answer: “Money doesn’t matter. I want to bring you home.” The girl continued flirting with him and ended up spending the night together. Selina knew about it and immediately confronted Chun.

“Why, Chun? Why?”

“What are you talking about?”

“This one!” and she showed a picture of him and the girl on bed; and what’s worse is they slept at his own bed.

“I… I don’t know! I was drunk and I didn’t expect her to take pictures of us together. Don’t show this to Ella, please?” he begged.

Selina promised to keep his mistake in return of a favor. “Stop going to parties and concentrate with your work.” He quickly agreed and thanked her for helping him with this.

But a week after their serious conversation, Chun went back to his stubbornness. He kept on going to bars at night and went home at dawn. That’s why, when he enters the office the next day, he would either sleep or just stare at an object for the whole day leaving him with stacks of paper to accomplish.

This went on for three weeks. Three weeks of feeling so down, three weeks of doing goofy things, three weeks of creating trouble. Selina wasn’t able to take this and she already told Ella about it. Selina grabbed her phone and dialed her friend’s number.

“Ella, you need to know something,” she said, stuttering.

“Is there something wrong, Sel? Do you want to meet up with me? I’m not free today, but maybe we can meet up in the ne—“

“No need, Ella. I can already say it here.” Selina couldn’t believe that she is breaking her promise to Chun. But he didn’t follow their deal. He didn’t stop going to bars and partying at night. So she thought that this is the right thing to do.

“I… I… It’s like this… I…” she can’t continue saying another word. She was afraid that Chun might do something bad to her if he finds out that Selina spilled his secret to his ex-girlfriend.

“What? Wait, I’m really busy right now. No actually, I’m just with Amber. We’re out for a walk and we’re currently taking some pictures. Can you believe it? She is into photography too!” Ella said the last sentence with much conviction and happiness. She’s like a little kid who’s so excited to tell her bestfriend her deepest, darkest secret. But Selina didn’t like the way Ella spoke to her. She was already in the mood to tell the truth, but Ella’s happiness stopped her again.

“Oh, really? Maybe I’ll just call later.”

“No! Tell it now! I might be able to help or solve the problem already.”

“Chun,” that’s the only word that came out from Selina’s mouth.

“What about him?” Ella’s mood suddenly changed. She looked at Amber who was currently enjoying taking solo pictures of her.

“He… I… just saw him with… another….”

“Girl?” Ella continued. She’s becoming more impatient that’s why she ended the sentence.

“Yes. Well, actually it’s like this. I didn’t actually see them together… I saw some pi—“

“I don’t need to know that. No, I don’t want to know that, Selina. I’m happy now. Leave him that way. That’s his life, and I’m not in the position to dictate whatever he needs to do.”

“Ella, listen to me first!” Selina uttered. She knew that Ella would feel bitter and won’t let her speak another word, but she tried her best to fight for what is right. But Ella was so sure of her feelings. It’s final. She won’t listen to whatever Selina has to say.

“No, Selina. I’m happy with Amber now. You don’t need to do this, you know? And besides, you were the one who told me to let him go. So what are you trying to say now?”

“Ella, stop denying! I have known you for a couple of years now. And I know when you’re telling the truth and when you’re lying. You still love Chun. And I admit that it’s my fault. That’s why I’m here to make it up to you.”

Selina waited for a respond. But to her shock, she already heard the busy sound on the other line. Ella ended the conversation because of her anger. She didn’t want to wait for the moment that she would shout at Selina on the phone. Ella quickly went back to Amber. But this time, she wasn’t as blissful as she was minutes ago.

“I’m not hurt, I don’t have the right to get hurt,” she insisted to herself. She was trying to fight with what her heart beats. After the conversation, Ella kept on taking pictures that our related to loneliness, anger, feeling of longing for someone, and bitterness. Amber looked at the pictures and commented, “Ella? Is there something wrong? All your pictures are blurred. Did you not mind about focus?” Amber scanned for more pictures. Ella, still not in the mood, quickly replied, “I did! Is it not good??? What do you expect? For me to be an expert? I’m not as good as you are, Amber!” and she ran away. Amber didn’t know what to do. She thought that she has said something wrong, but after analyzing her choice of words, she didn’t find anything wrong with it. She ran as fast as she could just to reach Ella. Since they were on the beach side, it was a bit easy for her to go after her. A few steps away from her, there was Ella who lost her balance and fell flat on the sand. Good thing she was fast enough to be able to catch her with her both arms. For minutes, she supported a girl who was sobbing like a little child.

“Ella, if there’s something wrong, we can talk about it. I’m here to listen.” She comforted her girlfriend by massaging her back and showering kisses on her forehead. Ella held Amber tightly as if she didn’t want to let her go, forever.

“I… I love you, Amber!” she cupped her face and stared at her eyes. Amber’s eyes were full of love and care for her. With this, more tears flowed from her eyes. “But I don’t want to hurt you. Please don’t hu—Don’t,” Ella said, still crying.

“Ella,” Amber hugged her tightly. Ella felt Amber’s heat. And her shoulders gave Ella a secured feeling. “I’m always here for you. I don’t care about your past. Ella, for as long as you have me, you won’t get hurt, not even once.”

Ella was bewildered to hear those words. It was the same words that Chun said to her during their happy moments together. “Amber,” she whispered her name.
Crystals of salty substance formed at the corner of Amber’s eyes. “I won’t let go of you.”

The sun has already set and they were still at the shore. They both witnessed how the sun set and they made a promise to themselves.

“Ella, for as long as you have me, I will give you everything that you want… even if it would hurt me.”

“Amber, thank you for being with me. I will love you forever,” and she hugged her.

Ella uttered those words just to let Amber feel so special. But in reality, Ella’s words mean: “Amber, I’m sorry for letting you feel so special. But I can’t love you forever. I love Chun. I’ll love him forever. But I don’t know how to say it. I hope you will understand.”

Two days after, Ella went out to take some photos. She was holding her SLR and took continuous shots around the city. While viewing the pictures, she saw a familiar face of a man on a bench. It was Chun. And the bad part is, he’s with a girl. He held her hand openly and didn’t care about the deadly stares of the people out there.

“Chun? How could you!” she cursed.

Ella didn’t have second thoughts on approaching Chun and the lady whom she called ‘’. She slapped the girl at the moment she arrived in front of her. Chun was shocked to see Ella. He even wasn’t able to stop her from slapping the girl the second time around. The girl held his hand tightly hoping that he would stop Ella from hitting her.

“Chun, help me! This lady is so mean! I didn’t do anything to her!” the lady protested. But Ella was really out of control that’s why she gave her another spank.

It happened again, and again, and again. She was about to give her seventh spank but Chun already stood up and held her hand.

“Ella, stop it! What do you think are you doing?” he said, angrily.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m trying to kill this girl!”

Chun was about to push Ella because of his anger. Okay, he loves her. But he thinks that this is too much. Ella hurt the girl that’s with him, but in reality, she doesn’t have the right to do that because they are not in a commitment.

“I don’t know if there’s something wrong with me or you’re just plain crazy not to realize how much you mean to me. Chun, it hurts a lot. It hurts that I need to break up with you because I followed a friend’s advice. And you know what? No one can ever replace you in my life. Not even Amber!” Ella started crying. The lady beside him just stared at Ella.

“What are you trying to say, bit—“ the lady inserted.

“Don’t you dare call her a !” a voice from behind suddenly said. Ella turned around and saw Amber. She held her in her arms and pushed the lady away.

“Amber, look. Please don’t add to the stress we’re experiencing right now.” Chun requested. He tried his best to remain calm because technically Amber is still a girl. And he is a gentleman that’s why he couldn’t shout at her.

“But she’s my girlfriend!”

“Amber, I shall fix this. Wait, no. Let me explain. Chun is my…”

“What? He is your?”

“He is my…” Ella looked at Chun and seemed to be asking for help. Chun understood what she was trying to convey. So he was the one who replied. “I’m Wu Zun, Ella’s ex-boyfriend.”

Amber was shocked to hear what Chun has just said. Ella’s ex-boyfriend? She thought that Ella’s a lesbian. And now she’s standing in front of the man who used to love Ella. But no, she wasn’t even sure if he doesn’t have feelings for her anymore.

“Amber, let me explain.” Ella said. But before she could say another statement, Amber has already left as well as the lady that was with Chun minutes ago.

“Now, what do you want?” Chun asked.

“You…back.” Ella replied without hesitation.